• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay, I've seen the light and switched to Safari from Chrome. Now, where the fuck is "Reopen closed tab"????
And therein lies Safari's only real problem.

On both Chrome and Firefox, this feature is amazing. It has its own hotkey combo, Command+Shift+T. And when you perform it, it reopens the tabs in reverse closed order way back for at least 10 or so complete with individual histories and everything.

But on Safari it's Command+Z which gets confusing when merged with the text typing undo stack. Because if you edit some text, say in a large NeoGAF post, then close some tabs, you can no longer undo your typing.

I mean I see what Apple's going for, but I'd rather they separate them and stick to mutually recognized standards.

If there's one feature I wish they'd put in it's to make sites remember their zoom setting. I mean come on! There isn't even a default zoom factor. So people with high resolutions set have to zoom on every page. NeoGAF itself at default size on a 15" display at 1920x1200 is tiny. I've had to resort to using an extension to force the page to zoom but this breaks on a bunch of sites. Especially ones with embedded HTML containers in IFRAMEs.

Nope. It is Command+Shift+T

Why? Who the fuck knows!
Read that again.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay, I see that CMD+Z works, but only immediately or something? Weird. But thanks.
]If there's one feature I wish they'd put in it's to make sites remember their zoom setting. I mean come on! There isn't even a default zoom factor. So people with high resolutions set have to zoom on every page. NeoGAF itself at default size on a 15" display at 1920x1200 is tiny. I've had to resort to using an extension to force the page to zoom but this breaks on a bunch of sites. Especially ones with embedded HTML containers in IFRAMEs.
This bothered me too. There's the "All Pages Zoom" extension but that enlarges everything and you can't just save it for certain sites. It has a blacklist which I just discovered but I guess I could go to all the sites I really go to often and modify what I need...Still a bit of work for what should be a standard feature.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh. iTunes is totally the worst at syncing. Just felt like dumping a rant here instead of the WWDC thread where it started.

For some reason iTunes started thinking it needed 2GB more than it had to sync. Even though I hadn't synced anything. It started though when the WWDC event downloaded and for some reason iTunes enabled Apple Keynotes as sync able so it alerted me to the problem. I unchecked it from the Podcasts but then started getting the message still. Though this time 1.5GB was needed.

I first tried PhoneClean thinking it was a failed media sync. Nope. Nothing there except the usual cache files. No failed syncs at all. So it wasn't the WWDC video.

After scratching my head I just started removing stuff from my iPhone. All music and podcasts completely. Seemed to be going fine. Until after syncing the phone one last time it reported the Music section as taking up 4GB. Even though I had no playlists checked. No songs checked. No nothing checked. Music was completely turned off. But it was taking up space still.

I opened the Music app on my phone and sure enough, no playlists at all... so I tapped Artists... WTF? There are dozens of artists in here. Surely there can't be... nope. Tapped Songs and there are 750 songs on my iPhone orphaned. With no way to remove them...

Except manually. So I started swiping and deleting, swiping and deleting, swiping, oops. It's playing the song. Fuck. Pause, back, swipe, delete. Swipe, delete. Ugh. After deleting about 100 I got tired and decided to try another route.

So I opened an app called iFunBox which is a file browser for iOS and found the iTunes Music folder and looked inside. Sure enough there's tons of music in it. So I took a risk. I deleted the music. Went back in the app and it was still there... but it wasn't. As would be expected, I didn't delete the database too so it was just references to non-existent files. Playing them did nothing but loop through all the album art one at a time trying to find a song that existed. So I stopped it and quit Music and went back into iFunBox and did something even more risky. I deleted the entirety of that iTunes Music folder. Then I rebooted the phone. Boom. Finally gone.

So I am now recopying all my music and podcasts back to my phone after iTunes fucked it all up. Only 1000 more songs to go!

It was the better alternative IMHO to actually restoring the entire phone from a backup. But it was risky. So, don't try that at home, kids! You never know what might happen if you manually start deleting things from the filesystem without knowing what stuff will and won't be recreated with a reboot.

Yay, technology!

mrkgoo

Ugh. iTunes is totally the worst at syncing. Just felt like dumping a rant here instead of the WWDC thread where it started.

For some reason iTunes started thinking it needed 2GB more than it had to sync. Even though I hadn't synced anything. It started though when the WWDC event downloaded and for some reason iTunes enabled Apple Keynotes as sync able so it alerted me to the problem. I unchecked it from the Podcasts but then started getting the message still. Though this time 1.5GB was needed.

I first tried PhoneClean thinking it was a failed media sync. Nope. Nothing there except the usual cache files. No failed syncs at all. So it wasn't the WWDC video.

After scratching my head I just started removing stuff from my iPhone. All music and podcasts completely. Seemed to be going fine. Until after syncing the phone one last time it reported the Music section as taking up 4GB. Even though I had no playlists checked. No songs checked. No nothing checked. Music was completely turned off. But it was taking up space still.

I opened the Music app on my phone and sure enough, no playlists at all... so I tapped Artists... WTF? There are dozens of artists in here. Surely there can't be... nope. Tapped Songs and there are 750 songs on my iPhone orphaned. With no way to remove them...

Except manually. So I started swiping and deleting, swiping and deleting, swiping, oops. It's playing the song. Fuck. Pause, back, swipe, delete. Swipe, delete. Ugh. After deleting about 100 I got tired and decided to try another route.

So I opened an app called iFunBox which is a file browser for iOS and found the iTunes Music folder and looked inside. Sure enough there's tons of music in it. So I took a risk. I deleted the music. Went back in the app and it was still there... but it wasn't. As would be expected, I didn't delete the database too so it was just references to non-existent files. Playing them did nothing but loop through all the album art one at a time trying to find a song that existed. So I stopped it and quit Music and went back into iFunBox and did something even more risky. I deleted the entirety of that iTunes Music folder. Then I rebooted the phone. Boom. Finally gone.

So I am now recopying all my music and podcasts back to my phone after iTunes fucked it all up. Only 1000 more songs to go!

It was the better alternative IMHO to actually restoring the entire phone from a backup. But it was risky. So, don't try that at home, kids! You never know what might happen if you manually start deleting things from the filesystem without knowing what stuff will and won't be recreated with a reboot.

Yay, technology!

Syncing has become a bit of a mess with itunes 11 I feel.

Podcasts don't sync as well as they used to, and they keep hanging how it works with each update. I've resorted to not syncing and just managing through the app.

But photo syncing through the iMediaService in Mac OS X is getting out of whack too. The way all the apps integrate requires some service that takes minutes to organise itself with each sync. It's better now than when mavericks was first introduced but not as great as it used to be.

But yeah, don't mess with the file structure. Real Abed, you gotta stop obsessing in there! :p

(Incidentally I can always recognise your posts because they're always so long - not a bad thing - I like reading elaborate posts)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
But yeah, don't mess with the file structure. Real Abed, you gotta stop obsessing in there! :p
The only alternative was totally restoring. No way. I took my chances. See, the way I saw it, if I had fucked up something by deleting just the music folder (Which on OS X you know it'll just put it back when iTunes is launched again so one assumes iOS will do the same when the Music app is loaded.) I would have to restore anyway. I took my chance and saved a bit of time. That's what backups are for.

(Incidentally I can always recognise your posts because they're always so long - not a bad thing - I like reading elaborate posts)
I have a tendency for rambling on about stuff everybody knows. I'm the Abed. I'm entitled. I am also allowed to reference Star Trek: The Next Generation out of the blue for no reason at all.

Seriously though, yeah. It is a thing I do. And has gotten people to yell at me on the internet before for no reason. Including on this very forum.

mrkgoo

The only alternative was totally restoring. No way. I took my chances. See, the way I saw it, if I had fucked up something by deleting just the music folder (Which on OS X you know it'll just put it back when iTunes is launched again so one assumes iOS will do the same when the Music app is loaded.) I would have to restore anyway. I took my chance and saved a bit of time. That's what backups are for.

I have a tendency for rambling on about stuff everybody knows. I'm the Abed. I'm entitled. I am also allowed to reference Star Trek: The Next Generation out of the blue for no reason at all.

Seriously though, yeah. It is a thing I do. And has gotten people to yell at me on the internet before for no reason. Including on this very forum.
Nah, it's cool man. It's good to have a passion and care about stuff.

moonbeam

So I'm using Steam for the first time and it asks me to check a box in Prefs>Security & Privacy>Privacy>Accessibility. Why is this required?

moonbeam

Steam Overlay uses it to function. If you don't need it, just ignore it.

OK great, thanks. I was having problems quitting Steam, having to force quit each time. I enabled this option and restarted my mac and the issue seems to have resolved itself. Not sure if it was enabling the option or the restart that fixed things.

jts

...hate me...
162SZak.png

I don't understand why this stupid thing happens, but it fucking ruins my spreadsheets.

Can anyone fill me in?

jts

...hate me...
Floating point arithmetic issue? Cell formatting issue hiding decimals in either of A1 or A2?
It's not the formatting, I've input the values myself, they are those exact numbers.

Must be that first thing? Also ran into the same problem often with filemaker. Sucks.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Bit of a hardware question and be interesting to see if anyone else has the issue.

I use an Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt on my MacBook Pro 9,2 to record gaming clips. Sometimes though I will get a flickering issue where the picture doesn't show correctly.

Basically this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwfY5DipBk not my video though. So for ages I've been trying to work out what the issue is. I thought it may have to do with the MacBook not being grounded with the charger since I would sometimes get an electric shock and I've read others have.

Sadly this didn't seem to solve the issue but I just noticed something. I hadn't plugged in my external HDD into the USB3 port but as I plugged it roughly in the screen started flickering but then went once fully inserted.

Can USB3 devices plugged directly next to a Thunderbolt device cause noise issues or something? I swapped my keyboard around so now it's plugged between the Thunderbolt and external HDD and the issue seems to have stopped.

Has anyone else had this type of issue with other Thunderbolt devices such as monitors or hubs?

Also any type of software I can download to check out the noise input on my USB connections?

Fuchsdh

Bit of a hardware question and be interesting to see if anyone else has the issue.

I use an Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt on my MacBook Pro 9,2 to record gaming clips. Sometimes though I will get a flickering issue where the picture doesn't show correctly.

Basically this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwfY5DipBk not my video though. So for ages I've been trying to work out what the issue is. I thought it may have to do with the MacBook not being grounded with the charger since I would sometimes get an electric shock and I've read others have.

Sadly this didn't seem to solve the issue but I just noticed something. I hadn't plugged in my external HDD into the USB3 port but as I plugged it roughly in the screen started flickering but then went once fully inserted.

Can USB3 devices plugged directly next to a Thunderbolt device cause noise issues or something? I swapped my keyboard around so now it's plugged between the Thunderbolt and external HDD and the issue seems to have stopped.

Has anyone else had this type of issue with other Thunderbolt devices such as monitors or hubs?

Also any type of software I can download to check out the noise input on my USB connections?

NO issues like that with my Intensity, but I'm connected to a Mac mini.

adroit

162SZak.png

I don't understand why this stupid thing happens, but it fucking ruins my spreadsheets.

Can anyone fill me in?
It's complicated to explain but 0.8, 0.6, and 0.2 are all non-terminating when converted to binary floating point format. Analogous to 0.33333333... in decimal.

To hide the ugliness, you can use something like the round() function. EDIT: Actually, if you use the result to do more math, it would probably be better not to use the round() function and instead just format the cell to the desired number of decimal places. Formatting doesn't change the underlying value of the cell. But the round function does.

Question - I love the magnifier with PDFs in Preview, but is there a way to resize it relative to the image? It seems to use an auto-detect that doesn't work so well if the paragraph widths aren't justified within the file's metadata:

I'd like to be able to magnify the whole width of the paragraph.

Pinch-to-zoom or +/- only change the size of the magnifier itself, not the actual size of the area it is magnifying.

Magnus

Hi all,

Forgive the bump - this seemed the most relevant thread to post in:

My 2010 MBP is doing alright, though I seem to get the classic Beachball stutter during some applications (Safari, Photoshop, etc.). It's running Mountain Lion, and has both an SSD installed now, as well as 8gb of RAM total.

I'm concerned that I haven't updated the rig in awhile, and may be missing great new functionality and (more critically) security updates. Naturally, that's all gated behind an updated to Yosemite.

I'm really worried this thing won't handle Yosemite well, though. Thoughts?

collige

Banned
Hi all,

Forgive the bump - this seemed the most relevant thread to post in:

My 2010 MBP is doing alright, though I seem to get the classic Beachball stutter during some applications (Safari, Photoshop, etc.). It's running Mountain Lion, and has both an SSD installed now, as well as 8gb of RAM total.

I'm concerned that I haven't updated the rig in awhile, and may be missing great new functionality and (more critically) security updates. Naturally, that's all gated behind an updated to Yosemite.

I'm really worried this thing won't handle Yosemite well, though. Thoughts?
I'm running Yosemite on a 2009 MBP and it's alright. Not amazing, but totally usable.

Orkidea

I have a probably basic question regarding iTunes

I download albums off artists instead of just singles but on my iPod I only want to have select songs from an album. How do I go about doing this?

Number45

I download albums off artists instead of just singles but on my iPod I only want to have select songs from an album. How do I go about doing this?
When I've synced with iTunes I create a playlist within iTunes to determine what I want to sync and drag albums/tracks to that playlist accordingly.

mrkgoo

Select "sync only checked songs". Then only check songs you want.

Gaaraz

Hey guys,

Is there anyway to move stock applications into a folder please? When I try (including holding down command) it just creates a copy :(

Thanks

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey guys,

Is there anyway to move stock applications into a folder please? When I try (including holding down command) it just creates a copy :(

Thanks
They're probably protected by System Integrity Protection now. Which encompasses all the important stuff to make sure no rogue application will come along and replace it.

You could probably disable SIP if you really want to, but then you'll just have to do it again later. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thank you Abed, I'll keep it as it is then :)
The thing about SIP is that it protects files so well that even the OS itself could force delete a file. Sudo won't do a thing except tell you you can't delete it. It's caused me some problems before but only because for some reason macOS decides to protect my CrashPlan app and when CarbonCopyCloner makes a backup of it and puts the old one in the Safety Net folder, I can't delete the backup manually because the binary is protected. I had to Google what was going on by searching for the error I was getting, then had to follow the instructions on how to disable it. Basically you gotta reboot into Recovery mode, open the Terminal utility from the menu, sudo run some command, reboot into macOS, delete the files, then reboot into Recovery and run the re-enable command, then reboot once again.

Had to do it a few times. Some because of CCC and CP (I still dont know who to blame. None of the other apps cause this problem when they're replaced. Why would the OS decide CP needs to be protected? And how would it be protected if the app itself can update itself which would require replacing the binary, which should cause SIP to complain, right?) and once because the OS let me accidentally copy a system-ish folder to the desktop instead of moving it (I think it was a cache.) and for some reason the SIP protection followed it over and I couldn't delete the copy.

Top Bottom