• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

moonbeam

The other day I got the original Fallout from GOG but when I try to run it I get an error from the OS and I can't start it.

Has anyone on mac os 10.9 had success getting this to run?

Note: It works on an earlier version of the os for someone else.

bitoriginal

Crossposting from another thread.

Okay GAF, I need help. I've got a macbook pro retina 15" late 2013 with 512gb ssd, 16g ram, and Nvidia 750m. I want to install windows via bootcamp so I can play some games, and hopefully DayZ.

I'm a mac newb, I know little to nothing about the operating system. Ideally I need someone to post links to a step by step guide/pm me about installing bootcamp. I'm in the UK btw.

1.) Where can I download a windows 7/8.1 ISO? I've tried searching the microsoft site but it's a clusterfuck that I'm struggling to get my head around. I'm currently using my old laptop on win7 and its giving me options to upgrade, but ideally I just want an ISO file I can put on a usb stick and use on my mac. I'm not averse to torrenting but I'm hesitant to download something I'm unsure about.

2.) Should I go for windows 7 or 8.1? I'm not really bothered either way, is one better/easier to install than the other?

3.) Do I need a legit windows key? If so, can I buy one cheaply through a site other than microsoft?

4.) I've got a 16gb USB stick. Will this do the job? Does it need to be formatted a certain way to work?

5.) Do I need anything else to get this process started? I know I can use bootcamp to download the drivers required.

Hopefully I got across the information I needed to, I'm fairly technically inept when it comes to this stuff.

Deku Tree

Crossposting from another thread.

Okay GAF, I need help. I've got a macbook pro retina 15" late 2013 with 512gb ssd, 16g ram, and Nvidia 750m. I want to install windows via bootcamp so I can play some games, and hopefully DayZ.

I'm a mac newb, I know little to nothing about the operating system. Ideally I need someone to post links to a step by step guide/pm me about installing bootcamp. I'm in the UK btw.

1.) Where can I download a windows 7/8.1 ISO? I've tried searching the microsoft site but it's a clusterfuck that I'm struggling to get my head around. I'm currently using my old laptop on win7 and its giving me options to upgrade, but ideally I just want an ISO file I can put on a usb stick and use on my mac. I'm not averse to torrenting but I'm hesitant to download something I'm unsure about.

2.) Should I go for windows 7 or 8.1? I'm not really bothered either way, is one better/easier to install than the other?

3.) Do I need a legit windows key? If so, can I buy one cheaply through a site other than microsoft?

4.) I've got a 16gb USB stick. Will this do the job? Does it need to be formatted a certain way to work?

5.) Do I need anything else to get this process started? I know I can use bootcamp to download the drivers required.

Hopefully I got across the information I needed to, I'm fairly technically inept when it comes to this stuff.

3) yes
4) I think so.

Anyone have the 802.11ac AirPort Extreme/Time Capsule?

How's the new firmware Apple released this week? Did it fix the reliability issue some people where having? Apparently, Apple accidentally disabled Spanning Tree Protocol according to a poster on MacRumors.

Mine works great. I just installed some new firmware 7.7.2 last week.

jts

...hate me...
Hey guise.

My MacBook iMessages are f'd up and I can't login. PW is not wrong (if I type a wrong one it will even tell me).

They work perfectly on my iPhone, iPad.

Trouble started out of nowhere. Running Mavericks (10.9.1).

jts

...hate me...
^ sorted it out.

One more thing though, my father already "bricked" his new Macbook Air by forgetting his account password.

I thought it would be recoverable with the iCloud account - is it?

One more thing though, my father already "bricked" his new Macbook Air by forgetting his account password.

I thought it would be recoverable with the iCloud account - is it?

The password is never recoverable, it's a one-way hash. If the iCloud recovery option was selected for his user account you can reset the password. You can also boot off the recovery partition (cmd-r on boot) to reset it.

The local (non-iCloud) login keychain will be lost without the password that created them, so he will get an error about that and a new local one may need to be created.

jts

...hate me...
The password is never recoverable, it's a one-way hash. If the iCloud recovery option was selected for his user account you can reset the password. You can also boot off the recovery partition (cmd-r on boot) to reset it.

The local (non-iCloud) login keychain will be lost without the password that created them, so he will get an error about that and a new local one may need to be created.
Thank you CD, once again you're right. The iCloud recovery did the trick (it wouldn't prompt immediately, that's why I wasn't sure if it had the option enabled)

Cheers.

Number45

Could anyone suggest the best FREE OSX desktop client or Firefox extension for Twitter that supports TweetMarker?
Ugh, I've been trying to find something decent that supports Tweetmarker in a browser for ages. Would make Twitter so much more usable for me (I use Tweetbot everywhere else, but want it for my work PC which is Windows).

I remember trying webmarker, but it didn't behave how I expected it to (I can't qualify any more than that as it was a while ago). Nymphic I didn't want to pay for because it doesn't seem well supported.

I wish they'd make a Tweetbot for Windows. I'd buy it again... at £13! :(

I hear ya. I use Windows at work and would love Tweetbot as an option. I currently just use the Twitter website when I'm in Windows and just live with things not syncing during the day. At home and on mobile, I use Tweetbot with iCloud to sync between my devices.

BearChair

What is your opinion on anti-virus programs for macs?

I recently started a new job, and they ask that we use an antivirus program because we move a lot of files around and are uploading them to a main server.

I've had my 13-inch MacBook Pro (my first mac) and haven't had an anti-virus until now.

I downloaded Avast based on the recommendation of a Lifehacker post, but I'm looking for some advice whether it was the right choice.

So what's your opinion, if you had to use a Mac anti-virus, what would you choose?

Deku Tree

What is your opinion on anti-virus programs for macs?

I recently started a new job, and they ask that we use an antivirus program because we move a lot of files around and are uploading them to a main server.

I've had my 13-inch MacBook Pro (my first mac) and haven't had an anti-virus until now.

I downloaded Avast based on the recommendation of a Lifehacker post, but I'm looking for some advice whether it was the right choice.

So what's your opinion, if you had to use a Mac anti-virus, what would you choose?

I've never used antivirus software on Macs. Never had a problem since the 80s.

Deku Tree

I understand that, but my new employer is asking for me to use one. It is up to me. So if you had to pick one, is there a best bet?

My employer recommended that I use Norton. And they installed it on my computer for me, and gave me a license. Then I deleted it. But Norton wasn't bad while I was using it. I even had an AppleCare phone tech support guy laugh at me and tell me to uninstall Norton. Can't say I have any experience with other brands.

hirokazu

I understand that, but my new employer is asking for me to use one. It is up to me. So if you had to pick one, is there a best bet?
ClamXAV is free and available on the Mac App Store or their website. I use it to scan suspicious files though, I don't remember if it does preemptive scans on every file you open.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
AntiVirus is practically wasted on OS X. All it takes is common sense. If something asks for your password and you didn't ask for something to install then don't enter your password.

Even Adobe has made the Flash installer open the website now instead of downloading in place. And Java is taken care of through OS X's own updater. And those are the two big former "security holes" OS X had. Plus unlike Windows, you can't download a .app file and have it automatically run. You can only download single files, which .app's are not, (They're folders so they always need to be compressed into archives or disk images) and while both can be automatically decompressed/mounted, the OS will never "auto run" anything like Windows has in the past. (And even now Windows will ask you first.) So you'd have to manually run a Trojan and manually enter your password knowing exactly what it is you're running in order for any kind of malware to be installed. And unless the website has been compromised and all its files have been replaced with fakes, then this is a situation you will never come upon.

Does your new employer use Macs exclusively or is it a "bring whatever computer you have no matter the OS" thing where they just assume there should be AV no matter what it is?

Personally I wouldn't dare install AV on my system and suck up my processes. I used to have tools for checking incoming and outgoing ports and all that stuff and all it did was bug the crap out of me every time I had to approve something so I deleted that crap. It's useless. I've never installed AV software on Windows either. I just make sure not to visit malicious sites on Windows. Having AV software running on my Mac in the background would eat away at my OCD so badly it wouldn't last 2 days before I trashed the hell out of it.

Plus my multiple daily and hourly constant backups mean I will always be able to fix everything while losing nothing if I ever get a virus. Multiple backups are my AntiVirus insurance. And that is what I would tell my employer if I ever was in your situation. I haven't gotten a virus or even suspicious automatically downloaded DMG in my 14 years of using OS X.

But that's just me. This has become a speech.

mrkgoo

AntiVirus is practically wasted on OS X. All it takes is common sense. If something asks for your password and you didn't ask for something to install then don't enter your password.

Even Adobe has made the Flash installer open the website now instead of downloading in place.

What do you mean by this last point?

I've noticed Flashplayer installer now just downloads the resources from their website during the install (it's called an aih file or something). That said, my wife's macbook still goes for the standalone installer, but she's on 10.6.

Deku Tree

Also now the default set up for OSX since 10.8 is to only allow programs to be installed from registered developers. Making it almost impossible to install a Virus.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well you could install a virus, you'd just have to tell OS X to ignore its safety and would have to put your password in. Which would make it a Trojan, not really a virus. Viruses install themselves. Trojans are like Vampires in that they only enter your house if you offer them to come inside. Viruses are almost impossible on OS X since so many things are locked down that anything that could do real damage would need permission from you to do it. Which is why Java and Flash are so dangerous if used improperly because they already have your permission, but they're basically like having a friend stand at the fire exit to the movie theater letting you in through the back door so you don't need to go through the ticket booth. Mostly Java since Java can delete files and stuff and is known for having many holes appear at weird times. Flash is just as bad too though which is why Chrome keeps it up to date itself and Safari disables it by default on fresh installs. I wouldn't even keep Flash and Java on my machine if I didn't need it. Damn internet video still isn't at the point where it isn't required and Java is still needed for both Minecraft and CrashPlan. (CrashPlan's actual backup system is powered by Java which shows you exactly how much control and access Java is able to have when given the right permissions.)

I keep Java disabled in browser. So anything that can hurt me would need to be downloaded and manually run anyway. And I have Safari ask me on every site if I want Flash to run there just in case.

Man this post is filled with metaphors. It's like a book filled with facts and trivia.

I keep Java disabled in browser. So anything that can hurt me would need to be downloaded and manually run anyway. And I have Safari ask me on every site if I want Flash to run there just in case.

Any idea what a Java exploit could do to you? Would you have to download something? Or allow it in in some way? Because earlier today Photobooth just randomly opened on me. I could have clicked it on accident since my track pad is very sensitive, but I don't remember being anywhere near it when it turned on or seeing it bounce while it was loading up. Made me paranoid so I got my computer scanned,and it said it was clean. Still pretty unsettling to have your camera randomly turn on like that. While I was on Gaf, too.

Edit: That damn trackpad made me click on an untrustworthy ad yesterday. Which started this paranoia to begin with. It wasn't letting me back out so I forced quit. Didn't download anything and everything seems cool, but still a little uneasy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Any idea what a Java exploit could do to you? Would you have to download something? Or allow it in in some way? Because earlier today Photobooth just randomly opened on me. I could have clicked it on accident since my track pad is very sensitive, but I don't remember being anywhere near it when it turned on or seeing it bounce while it was loading up. Made me paranoid so I got my computer scanned,and it said it was clean. Still pretty unsettling to have your camera randomly turn on like that. While I was on Gaf, too.

Edit: That damn trackpad made me click on an untrustworthy ad yesterday. Which started this paranoia to begin with. It wasn't letting me back out so I forced quit. Didn't download anything and everything seems cool, but still a little uneasy.
Why are you using Tap to Click? Were you using Tap to Click? If so, stop using Tap to Click. Just click the trackpad normally. No need for tapping. Especially since it has a delay due to it having to wait to make sure you were clicking and not double-clicking.

And it wouldn't have done anything to you if you'd even let it download because it would have either been a useless EXE or a DMG with an enticing filename that would have required you to accidentally enter your password after you mounted the disk and ran the program inside. It's pretty hard to unknowingly get any kind of malware installed. Just pay attention. Was it in a browser? Why wouldn't it let you "back out"? Back out of what? I've seen fake FBI pages in Firefox that utilized JavaScripts poorly thought out "cancel window close" script to make sure you were locked to the page, but disabling JS (By having to open the damn hidden settings page thank you very much Mozilla you morons.) and reloading it let me close it.

As for Java, exploits show up occasionally. Just watch all the Tech blogs. They'll talk about one once in a while. But these days a few apps that require Java will install their own version to keep it away from the rest of the system. Also, I don't use it in a browser because I can count on one hand how many times I've ever needed it installed to play a game I would have enjoyed for two seconds. Standalone Java is all I need for Minecraft and CrashPlan. (And CP installs their own) No browser Java for me! Seriously. How many websites even use it anymore?

Why are you using Tap to Click? Were you using Tap to Click? If so, stop using Tap to Click. Just click the trackpad normally. No need for tapping. Especially since it has a delay due to it having to wait to make sure you were clicking and not double-clicking.

And it wouldn't have done anything to you if you'd even let it download because it would have either been a useless EXE or a DMG with an enticing filename that would have required you to accidentally enter your password after you mounted the disk and ran the program inside. It's pretty hard to unknowingly get any kind of malware installed. Just pay attention. Was it in a browser? Why wouldn't it let you "back out"? Back out of what? I've seen fake FBI pages in Firefox that utilized JavaScripts poorly thought out "cancel window close" script to make sure you were locked to the page, but disabling JS (By having to open the damn hidden settings page thank you very much Mozilla you morons.) and reloading it let me close it.

I was using tap to click. Just got too used to it I guess. I have frequently run into problems with it, so I should shut it off.

It was in browser and one of those ransomwear pages. For a second I thought "What the hell was I directed to?!" but remembered hearing about them before. Tried to close the window and it wouldn't let me so I force quit everything and I was fine. It's just bad timing this camera thing happened when it did, making me paranoid something may have still crept in. Thanks for clearing that up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was using tap to click. Just got too used to it I guess. I have frequently run into problems with it, so I should shut it off.

It was in browser and one of those ransomwear pages. For a second I thought "What the hell was I directed to?!" but remembered hearing about them before. Tried to close the window and it wouldn't let me so I force quit everything and I was fine. It's just bad timing this camera thing happened when it did, making me paranoid something may have still crept in. Thanks for clearing that up.
Problem with force quitting it is the browser, if you set it to reopen tabs, may remember it and open it again. But fortunately all the ones I've seen are temporary and if you try to access the same URL again later it's expired. So chances are you just get a dead page next time.

Thankfully unlike Firefox, Safari lets you disable JavaScript with an easy to find checkbox right in the first tab of Preferences. And even Chrome has an easy to find option. (I think) Firefox however buries it in an inconvenient about: page like a bunch of complete braindead morons. (It used to be in Preferences)

Hopefully the ability to disable JavaScript won't ever completely go away. It may be increasingly required, and not as easy to avoid using like Flash, but occasionally you do need to turn it off in emergencies. (Like the aforementioned Ransomwear page that tries to trick unsuspecting users into thinking they're actually locked out.)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Can anyone possibly discern anything from this kernel panic that I got when I turned on my machine today? It's my MacBook that I've had for nearly seven years — I just wonder if its days are finally numbered. There was nothing different/special than any other day in terms of booting up; no new hardware, peripherals connected, etc. I restarted and everything has been fine since, though.

SORRY for the super long post — THANKS for any advice.

Interval Since Last Panic Report: 25673064 sec
Panics Since Last Report: 1
Anonymous UUID: 9991AE15-108C-496D-A7D2-9BF673B0C029

Tue Mar 25 20:33:05 2014
panic(cpu 1 caller 0x2abf6a): Kernel trap at 0x00e24449, type 14=page fault, registers:
CR0: 0x8001003b, CR2: 0x00000004, CR3: 0x00100000, CR4: 0x00000660
EAX: 0x00000000, EBX: 0xe00002eb, ECX: 0x00000001, EDX: 0x2fb4d03c
CR2: 0x00000004, EBP: 0x358a3e28, ESI: 0x04efe480, EDI: 0x00000001
EFL: 0x00010246, EIP: 0x00e24449, CS: 0x00000008, DS: 0x04d10010
Error code: 0x00000000

Backtrace (CPU 1), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x358a3bf8 : 0x21b837 (0x5dd7fc 0x358a3c2c 0x223ce1 0x0)
0x358a3c48 : 0x2abf6a (0x59e3d0 0xe24449 0xe 0x59e59a)
0x358a3d28 : 0x2a1a78 (0x358a3d40 0x30000 0x358a3e28 0xe24449)
0x358a3d38 : 0xe24449 (0xe 0x48 0x358a0010 0x540010)
0x358a3e28 : 0xfec44b (0x4efe480 0x1 0x4c3fec4 0x43b7933f)
0x358a3e58 : 0xfe159e (0x4e6a400 0x1 0x0 0x1)
0x358a3e98 : 0xfeb214 (0x4e6a400 0x4e6a400 0x358a3ec8 0x2aa21d)
0x358a3eb8 : 0xfec6da (0x4e6a400 0x1dba51f1 0x358a3ed8 0x219743)
0x358a3ed8 : 0x547c5f (0x4e6a400 0x3 0x4e6a400 0x4e6a400)
0x358a3f48 : 0x547d65 (0x4e6a400 0x4c9c7a8 0xf40b3127 0x4)
0x358a3f78 : 0x230235 (0x4e6a400 0x0 0x358a3fc8 0x227cea)
0x358a3fc8 : 0x2a179c (0x863ea0 0x0 0x2a17ab 0x58b7b7c)
Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTrackpad(201.6)@0xfdc000->0xff5fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily(1.6.6)@0xb29000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(4.2.4)@0xe16000
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(4.2.4)@0xe16000->0xe4bfff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6.5)@0x928000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
10K549

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386
System model name: MacBook2,1 (Mac-F4208CAA)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 21429730317
unloaded kexts:
(none)
loaded kexts:
com.checkpoint.cpfw 1.0
com.apple.driver.AppleHDA 2.0.5f14
com.apple.driver.AppleUpstreamUserClient 3.5.7
com.apple.driver.AppleMCCSControl 1.0.20
com.apple.driver.SMCMotionSensor 3.0.1d2
com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC 1.57
com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros 423.19.10
com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros21 425.14.7
com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X 7.0.0
com.apple.driver.AudioIPCDriver 1.1.6
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelYonahProfile 14
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPenrynProfile 17
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelNehalemProfile 11
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelMeromProfile 19
com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin 4.7.0a1
com.apple.driver.AppleLPC 1.5.1
com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl 2.10.6
com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight 170.0.46
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 6.3.6
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer 6.3.6
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTrackpad 201.6
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyEventDriver 201.6
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard 201.6
com.apple.driver.AppleIRController 303.8
com.apple.driver.CSRHIDTransitionDriver 2.4.5f3
com.apple.driver.USBCameraFirmwareLoader 1.1.0
com.apple.iokit.SCSITaskUserClient 2.6.8
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub 4.2.4
com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI 4.7.3
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage 1.6.4
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI 4.2.4
com.apple.BootCache 31.1
com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib 1.0.0d1
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI 4.2.0
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort 2.1.7
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA 2.5.1
com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2 3.2.1b1
com.apple.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager 160.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM 1.4.0
com.apple.driver.AppleRTC 1.3.1
com.apple.driver.AppleHPET 1.5
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons 1.3.6
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS 1.7
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC 1.3.6
com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC 1.4
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient 142.6.0
com.apple.security.sandbox 1
com.apple.security.quarantine 0
com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall 2.1.14
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement 142.6.0
com.apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver 2.0.5f14 - last loaded 21321150399
com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib 2.0.5f14
com.apple.driver.AppleProfileReadCounterAction 17
com.apple.driver.AppleProfileTimestampAction 10
com.apple.driver.AppleProfileThreadInfoAction 14
com.apple.driver.AppleProfileRegisterStateAction 10
com.apple.driver.AppleProfileKEventAction 10
com.apple.driver.AppleProfileCallstackAction 20
com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family 320.1
com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireIP 2.0.3
com.apple.iokit.IOSurface 74.2
com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily 1.8.3fc2
com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib 1.3
com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController 2.0.5f14
com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily 2.0.5f14
com.apple.iokit.AppleProfileFamily 41
com.apple.driver.AppleSMC 3.1.0d5
com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily 4.7.0a1
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusPCI 1.0.10d0
com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert 1.0.1
com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport 2.2.1
com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily 2.2.1
com.apple.driver.CSRUSBBluetoothHCIController 2.4.5f3
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController 2.4.5f3
com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily 2.4.5f3
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub 4.2.4
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver 4.2.0
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite 3.9.0
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice 2.6.8
com.apple.iokit.IOBDStorageFamily 1.6
com.apple.iokit.IODVDStorageFamily 1.6
com.apple.iokit.IOCDStorageFamily 1.6.1
com.apple.driver.XsanFilter 402.1
com.apple.iokit.IOATAPIProtocolTransport 2.5.1
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily 2.6.8
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient 4.2.4
com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily 4.2.6
com.apple.driver.AppleFileSystemDriver 2.0
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily 4.2.4
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily 2.0.6
com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily 2.5.1
com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily 1.10
com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime 1.4.0
com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily 1.6.6
com.apple.iokit.IOSMBusFamily 1.1
com.apple.kext.AppleMatch 1.0.0d1
com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet 6
com.apple.driver.DiskImages 289
com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily 1.6.3
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform 1.3.6
com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily 2.6.5
com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily 1.3.0
Model: MacBook2,1, BootROM MB21.00A5.B07, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 2 GB, SMC 1.17f0
Graphics: Intel GMA 950, GMA 950, Built-In, spdisplays_integrated_vram
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x87), Atheros 5416: 2.1.14.6
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 12 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
Serial ATA Device: ST980811AS, 74.53 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8221
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8501, 0xfd400000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8205, 0x7d100000 / 2
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8240, 0x5d200000 / 2
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x021a, 0x1d200000 / 3
USB Device: Fitbit Base Station, 0x2687, 0xfb01, 0x1d100000 / 2

What is classified as "Other" in this screen?

cdMdIAK.png

If it's not music or movies or apps, I can't figure out what's taking up so much space.

If I make a separate partition on my Windows 7 pc and install Mountain Lion on a new partition would it be possible? I hear a lot about people being able to bootcamp Windows on Mac, but I was wondering if it's possible the other way around. I am interested in doing this.
(Is this the right thread to ask this in? Didn't wanna make a thread)
Specs of my windows 7 computer:
CPU
AMD A8-6500
Richland 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
Motherboard
MSI 2AE0 (P0)
Graphics
DELL S2440L (1920x1080@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 8570D

Can anyone possibly discern anything from this kernel panic that I got when I turned on my machine today?

A single kernel panic is probably nothing to worry about. A reminder to check on your backups.

If I make a separate partition on my Windows 7 pc and install Mountain Lion on a new partition would it be possible? I hear a lot about people being able to bootcamp Windows on Mac, but I was wondering if it's possible the other way around.

What you want to do is known as 'building a hackintosh'. I've not done it, but IIRC, in addition to the partition for the OS, you'll end up putting an EFI boot loader on your PC that tricks the Mac OS into thinking you have Apple hardware.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OSX Noob here! Picked up a 13" rMBP about a month ago. Love it to death, but I have some questions:

-I've been noticing severe issues with my browser. It is painfully slow at home, though on other wireless networks it is as snappy as ever. I've tried disabling DNS prefetching but it appears to have little to no effect... Any thoughts?

-I downloaded iStats for my menu bar and it's very nice. What other utility apps do I need?

-Does anyone use the dashboard screen? What widgets do you put on there?

BearChair

I've had my MacBook Pro for a little over a year. It is a 13-inch, mid-2012 model if that helps.

I've had to crashes in the past week, and I'm wondering if there is some kind of crash log somewhere where I could look and get an idea of what's going wrong.

I've run disk utility, and it says the hard drive is fine. Activity monitor indicates I'm only using about 5.26gb of my 8gb of ram and the CPU says I'm only using 2.5 percent of what's available.

The only thing I noticed the most recent time was a ticking coming after the crash, which stopped after I unplugged the power cable.

Any ideas?

kennah

If I make a separate partition on my Windows 7 pc and install Mountain Lion on a new partition would it be possible? I hear a lot about people being able to bootcamp Windows on Mac, but I was wondering if it's possible the other way around. I am interested in doing this.
(Is this the right thread to ask this in? Didn't wanna make a thread)
Specs of my windows 7 computer:
CPU
AMD A8-6500
Richland 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
Motherboard
MSI 2AE0 (P0)
Graphics
DELL S2440L (1920x1080@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 8570D
If this is your first time doing something like this you're gonna have a bad time. Installing OSX on an amd computer is very very difficult.

Go to tonymacx86.com for guides and advice.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've had my MacBook Pro for a little over a year. It is a 13-inch, mid-2012 model if that helps.

I've had to crashes in the past week, and I'm wondering if there is some kind of crash log somewhere where I could look and get an idea of what's going wrong.

I've run disk utility, and it says the hard drive is fine. Activity monitor indicates I'm only using about 5.26gb of my 8gb of ram and the CPU says I'm only using 2.5 percent of what's available.

The only thing I noticed the most recent time was a ticking coming after the crash, which stopped after I unplugged the power cable.

Any ideas?
Ticking? Hard Drive is dying. Back up your stuff NOW. Despite what DU says I'd still make sure I'm backed up. Then try reformatting, reinstalling and restoring. Either way, back up.

I mean was the ticking a sound coming from the speakers or a piece of hardware inside the case? Has this ticking happened since? What did it sound like?

Maybe optical drive? I'd guess hard drive.

Apple may be planning to give the next version of the Mac OS X operating system, 10.10, a larger presence than iOS 8 at this year’s Worldwide Developers Conference, according to sources with knowledge of the plans. Because OS X 10.10 will feature an end-to-end redesign, not dissimilar from the scope of the changes to the iPhone and iPad operating system with iOS 7 last year, Apple wants to heavily promote the new system to developers. Apple has also been allocating iOS user interface resources to OS X teams in order to finish up the new OS X design in time for WWDC, and 10.10 development is said to be “steaming forward…”
http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/01/os-x-...shed-to-ios-8-1-new-apple-tv-os-in-the-works/

Oh shit

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Color me excited.

But rounded corners are a staple of the Mac OS. It'd be strange for them to disappear again. Though they always seem to move over the years. Before OS X the Mac OS had square window corners and rounded menubar. Then they made OS X menubar have no roundness but rounded the top of the windows but square bottoms. Now they are rounded windows all around with square menubar. Even in Fullscreen.

As for the name, I'd bet that'll be it. Though my money was on Monterey last June when it was mentioned in a slide. But whatever.

I hope it's true. Huge update will be sooo nice. It's OS X's time to shine again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still want Siri to replace the Voice software the Mac OS has had since OS 8 or so. I'm hoping for voice activation where I can say "Siri" and have her be at the ready. Then have it integrated with everything. Like sending text messages. And integrate it with AppleScript and have an API for devs. This would be the Star Trek future we need. If you could design it to wait for certain phrases or words then parse them yourself through scripting and do things based on it.

Siri in OS X please.

It's gonna be a long 5 weeks, but I'm excited for WWDC again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have to admit, there are times when I look at both my 5S and rMBP and wish that the OS X icon set matched iOS 7.
I don't think I'd want the OS X icons to be too similar. The iOS ones have rounded solid backgrounds which is an iOS only thing. OS X doesn't need this. I am hoping for a new icon style though for devs to start following, but not too much like iOS.

Especially since I use Safari and I hate the iOS Safari icon. (I'd love it if they got rid of the notches around the edge. Same with the Compass.)

Really eager to see what they've been up to for the past year.

Majine

Banned
I have a rather annoying issue where video will sometimes speed ahead, and its audio will cut out for a few seconds. It's happened on Youtube and Twitch, which makes it seem like it's an issue on a bigger plane.

Top Bottom