• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

jts

...hate me...
How did Apple deal with it?
Not sure who you asking, but in my case I didn't take it to Apple. My Macbook is more than 3 years old anyway, so it's way out of warranty.

I figured out the problem with the help of our Mac-Gaffers, and then I was supposed to order a new hard drive cable and replace it by myself; which I haven't yet, and instead I'm just using the hard drive that is replacing the optical drive.

Not sure where else to ask, so I thought I'd give here a shot.
I'm moving into my dorm and the wi-fi here is fairly abysmal, so I decided to pick up and AirPort Express Router at the suggestion of an older student posting in the group, easy enough. Now that I have it back out of the box in my room, I cannot seem to get it to connect properly. The University (Queens) seems to have no problem with wi-fi student networks, as my floor is full of them, I just can't seem to get mine up. I figure it is the security wall that requires each student to log in is the factor, but in the end I'm not quite sure. I'd try manual set-up, but I'm not even sure how to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RoKKeR

Is this the place to ask stupid questions about Mac products and not just OSX? (i.e. will the price of the current MacBook 15 retina go down when the new ones hit shelves)

jts

...hate me...
Messing around with OS X server for the first time. Nifty features. I love how it talks to the Airport and setups everything on my behalf.

I guess I should have jumped way earlier, using a Mac mini home server for the longest time now, and also it's not expensive.

Trying to setup a VPN with dynamic DNS at the company. Lets see how this goes.

jts

...hate me...
So, badgering this thread some more.

I'm pretty sure I've ruined my Mac mini's bluetooth antenna years ago when I was upgrading its RAM.

Thing is, it never bothered me until now. Coz now I've bought a Magic Trackpad.

It can't see it, so I guess it's probably ruined.

1) can I test this? Is there something like windows device manager?

Meanwhile I've bought a cheap USB bluetooth adapter. I've searched and some hackintosh users apparently had luck with it, and OS X supports its chipset.

2) How can I enforce to use it? With the normal bluetooth assistant, and the USB plugged in, still can't see shit.

1) can I test this? Is there something like windows device manager?

Apple menu > About this Mac > More Info [> System Report (on 10.8)], maybe.

2) How can I enforce to use it? With the normal bluetooth assistant, and the USB plugged in, still can't see shit.

Boot with it plugged in and make sure it shows up under your USB and Bluetooth devices in the System Report. Apparently on Mac Pros, using USB Bluetooth disables the internal one, not sure why the Mini would be different.

jts

...hate me...
Apple menu > About this Mac > More Info [> System Report (on 10.8)], maybe.

Boot with it plugged in and make sure it shows up under your USB and Bluetooth devices in the System Report. Apparently on Mac Pros, using USB Bluetooth disables the internal one, not sure why the Mini would be different.
Thanks again!

It seems like it isn't detected at all (it's a Trust 17772). First I was thrown off when I saw bluetooth under USB, but it just happens that bluetooth, like other internal things, uses USB bus.

But the internal bluetooth is still detected fine. I guess the Mac won't diagnose or recognise a faulty antenna, because the board is still fine.

Now I have to fix the antenna dammit :/ I wish there was an USB Magic Trackpad.

kehs

Banned
You have to open terminal and copy and paste that in.

If you don't feel comfortable modifying settings through terminal, just remember to turn your volume off before you shutdown your laptop.

Well, I just did that in terminal, I hope you're not hacking me right dude. I TRUST ed you.

get it?

TUSR

Banned
Well, I just did that in terminal, I hope you're not hacking me right dude. I TRUST ed you.

get it?

My name has nothing to do with trust. The command should just assign a volume level of 0 to your nvram when you turn your device off. (Which is equivalent to manually turning your sound off before you shutdown.)

kehs

Banned
The terminal didnt give me an error, so i guess it did. I'll find out the next i restart which is like every two weeks.

If you don't feel comfortable modifying settings through terminal, just remember to turn your volume off before you shutdown your laptop.

Intel Macs bong regardless of system volume setting or output device setting. Your NVRAM trick is the only way to do it.

mrkgoo

Intel Macs bong regardless of system volume setting or output device setting. Your NVRAM trick is the only way to do it.

YOu can at least turn it down right?

I reset my PRAM the other day on my iMac, and the BONG sound was reset to bloody loud. I tried turning it down before rebooting, and it didn't work.

But then I figured it out - I have a stereo plugged into the headphone socket, so I was just adjusting headphone volume. I unplugged, turned down my volume, now every restart has a quiet chime again (even when stereo plugged in).

YOu can at least turn it down right?

My impression from owning a PowerMac G5 and now my second Mac Pro and second Intel Mini is that the Intel Macs bong through the internal speaker regardless of what the hell is plugged into the Mac, and that it ignores the system volume setting. On the PowerMac, it played through your sound device at the system volume (deafened the family overnight once after playing loud music in an empty house during the day...).

mrkgoo

My impression from owning a PowerMac G5 and now my second Mac Pro and second Intel Mini is that the Intel Macs bong through the internal speaker regardless of what the hell is plugged into the Mac, and that it ignores the system volume setting. On the PowerMac, it played through your sound device at the system volume (deafened the family overnight once after playing loud music in an empty house during the day...).

I'm pretty sure I have a less loud startup chime again. Intel iMac.

Hey guys I have a problem with itunes and need some help. I deleted some songs from my library, however when I try to re-add them to my library, itunes refuses to re-add them. Also when I try to play the audio files with itunes, itunes refuses to play them. How do I re-add them to my library?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want to keep the date added orientation but take away the stamps. Is that possible?
Well, Arrange By is what makes them have the groupings. You can sort them overall by date, but that'll sort all of them. The Finder allows for two levels of sorting. What order do you want everything in?

I want to see my items in the order I added them to the folder but not have to expand them each all to see the contents or scroll through them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want to see my items in the order I added them to the folder but not have to expand them each all to see the contents or scroll through them.
Then change just the Sort By. Not the Arrange By. You're not going to get the grouping headers though. Because there's no way, even in Mavericks, to have each group expand by default sadly.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I just upgraded the ram in my Mac Mini from the pathetic 2 GB it came with to 8 GB and.... holy crap. The difference is night and day. That Mountain Lion is one thirsty beast.

kehs

Banned
I swear my 2008 MBP wouldn't chime when I had the volume off on shutdown. It stores your closing volume to the NVRAM iirc.

sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%00

Didn't work?!

Put that right into terminal.

This still hasn't worked btw, I've tried like five times over the past week or so. =/

jts

...hate me...
So before I reinstalled everything on my Mac, I had somehow Alfred (with powerpack) setup to paste a snippet of text with a keyboard shortcut. It was alt+z.

But since, my setup was erased and I just can't find that option anymore. There's snippets stuff that you search through the Alfred dialogue which is not what I need or want at all. I've Googled with no luck.

Alfred powerpack users out there?

I just upgraded the ram in my Mac Mini from the pathetic 2 GB it came with to 8 GB and.... holy crap. The difference is night and day. That Mountain Lion is one thirsty beast.

Part of the performance increase may be that OS X, like other Unix implementations and modern Windows systems uses free RAM to cache parts of the filesystem.

I upgraded from 6 to 13GB in a Mac Pro; if my typical free+inactive memory at 6GB was N, after upgrading to 13GB, it wasn't N+7GB, but instead ~4GB after extended, casual use.

Top Bottom