• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

I'm not liking the hot corner so far.

Another question, I need to get access to a NAS that is password protected. It shows up in finder, but I can't get to it because, obviously I need to log in. How do I log in?

It's always prompted me to enter my user name and password the first time I accessed my NAS or if I changed my password on it.

quick question about bootcamp and games.

is it better off running the mac port of something like dota 2, or to install bootcamp and run the windows version. i get terrible fps in most mac games and Im not sure if they are just unoptimized or if the graphics card is just in general bad. i have a geforce 320m

mrkgoo

Damnit.

I clicked in a link in a spam email (to unsubscribe) and it took me to a godaddy.com site saying the domain was expired and pending renewal.

What's the worst that could happen?

Is it possible I got a payload of malware or relinquished some private data? What's the best course of action?

I'm normally so careful.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Damnit.

I clicked in a link in a spam email (to unsubscribe) and it took me to a godaddy.com site saying the domain was expired and pending renewal.

What's the worst that could happen?

Is it possible I got a payload of malware or relinquished some private data? What's the best course of action?

I'm normally so careful.
Probably nothing.

I doubt the URL had any sensitive information and the site would need to somehow access your data which it most likely didn't. Especially if it was just a landing "no site available" page. The only malware you could get is a trojan which would be pretty hard to not know was happening. (i.e. a window pops up pretending to be an installer for something, say Flash, and tricks you into installing it.) Pretty sure you would have seen a file being downloaded. Especially since on OS X it would need to either be a DMG or ZIP which would first have to be opened. The installers won't just open themselves on OS X like they do on Windows. So in the hypothetical situation where you find a DMG or ZIP in your Downloads folder, you'd still have to double-click it to open it then double-click and completely go through every step to install the trojan on your machine.

Or Java. Java can be exploited. Which is why I keep it off in my browsers. (I only use it for Minecraft and CrashPlan which just use the stand-alone Java. But the plugin I keep turned off in Chrome and Safari.

Also, sometimes trojans on OS X and Windows like to pretend to be an Adobe Flash installer which is why you always go directly to the site when it tells you to update so there's no mistaking. (Though most of the time it's actually Flash needing an update and not a trojan.)

If you must, just keep an eye on your Activity Monitor for unknown processes and just Google the ones you don't recognize. 999 times out of 1,000 it's part of something stock in OS X or an app you installed yourself. Anything else will usually have instructions on how to uninstall the program it came with which is usually not even a piece of malware.

mrkgoo

Probably nothing.

I doubt the URL had any sensitive information and the site would need to somehow access your data which it most likely didn't. Especially if it was just a landing "no site available" page. The only malware you could get is a trojan which would be pretty hard to not know was happening. (i.e. a window pops up pretending to be an installer for something, say Flash, and tricks you into installing it.) Pretty sure you would have seen a file being downloaded. Especially since on OS X it would need to either be a DMG or ZIP which would first have to be opened. The installers won't just open themselves on OS X like they do on Windows. So in the hypothetical situation where you find a DMG or ZIP in your Downloads folder, you'd still have to double-click it to open it then double-click and completely go through every step to install the trojan on your machine.

Or Java. Java can be exploited. Which is why I keep it off in my browsers. (I only use it for Minecraft and CrashPlan which just use the stand-alone Java. But the plugin I keep turned off in Chrome and Safari.

Also, sometimes trojans on OS X and Windows like to pretend to be an Adobe Flash installer which is why you always go directly to the site when it tells you to update so there's no mistaking. (Though most of the time it's actually Flash needing an update and not a trojan.)

If you must, just keep an eye on your Activity Monitor for unknown processes and just Google the ones you don't recognize. 999 times out of 1,000 it's part of something stock in OS X or an app you installed yourself. Anything else will usually have instructions on how to uninstall the program it came with which is usually not even a piece of malware.

Yeah I know. Thanks I think I just need the reassurance more ham anything.

I don't have java enabled (JavaScript is on though), because I think it shuts itself off after time anyway. My new iMac I haven't installed and runtime environment.

Nothing popped up or anything. And there's a chance it wasn't even spam (just caught as spam by mail - it was a biotech company on a mailing list).

Currently scanning entire drive with clam xav, but not sure how good that is.

But yeah, thanks a ton, greatly appreciated.

Ambitious

I've set a network drive to auto-mount on startup (by dragging it to the login items in the system settings) and checked the Hide checkbox. But still, the Finder window appears everytime. Can anyone reproduce this?

edit: Seems to be a bug. No problems with this solution.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Was it .bd or .db? .db is a Cache file database. I've deleted plenty of those. But my computer doesn't have any files with a .bd extension nor does Google turn anything up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
indeed, no time machine set up... ;_;

and yes, it was .db. my bad.
Then you're most likely safe. They're databases and are usually used for cache, which is temporary files that are recreated anyway.

Do you not know the name of the folder you deleted?

If you haven't had any problems yet, you probably aren't going to.

And if you do, you have a recovery partition that will fix the problem pretty damn fast so, no worries. Be happy.

ecurbj

I finally joined the Mac family. It feels good. I'm all Apple in my house now. I got the Apple TV, iPhone 5 and now a MacBook Pro. I'm going to buy a iPad shortly. Probably this Holiday season.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I will post it in the tech support as well maybe:

In the disk utility, what exactly is "Mac OSX base system"? I realize the name should be self explanatory, but I don't understand how it can exist if my hard drive is erased, and why it cannot be modified.

mrkgoo

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I will post it in the tech support as well maybe:

In the disk utility, what exactly is "Mac OSX base system"? I realize the name should be self explanatory, but I don't understand how it can exist if my hard drive is erased, and why it cannot be modified.

I googled that for you (because I was curious):

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...base-system-disk-image-on-my-2011-macbook-air

Not entirely sure, but it seems like it's the mounted version of the recovery HD. Erasing the main Macntosh HD thus wouldn't touch the recovery.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I googled that for you (because I was curious):

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...base-system-disk-image-on-my-2011-macbook-air

Not entirely sure, but it seems like it's the mounted version of the recovery HD. Erasing the main Macntosh HD thus wouldn't touch the recovery.

Yeah, I googled this, but I still don't understand exactly what information is stored on it, in that 1.39 GB. The disk utility does not allow it to be erased.

I realize that simply erasing the hard drive should be fine. I am just wondering if "Mac OS X Base System" is a partition of that drive that just can't be accessed (or erased as I am trying to do.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I googled this, but I still don't understand exactly what information is stored on it, in that 1.39 GB. The disk utility does not allow it to be erased.

I realize that simply erasing the hard drive should be fine. I am just wondering if "Mac OS X Base System" is a partition of that drive that just can't be accessed (or erased as I am trying to do.)
It's exactly what it says. It includes the recovery partition which consists of a base OS X system to boot from and a bunch of utilities. When you hold Option at bootup it boots from that system for installing and fixing problems.

I think if you reformat while booted onto it, it won't delete it. Not sure how it works, just that it works.

However if you format from somewhere else, you might delete it. For instance, when I had both Mountain Lion and Mavericks installed onto two partitions, my disk had two different recovery partitions. One for ML, one for Mav. When I decided to replace ML and get rid of Mav, I simply reformatted the Mav partition from ML and it got rid of it.

So your answer is thusly: If you restore from the recovery, it won't delete it. But if you reformat from outside, it will. I don't think it's a partition at all. Just a special way of booting. It's most likely a disk image in a secret place on the OS X partition that is mounted when you recover. I think if you happen to reformat the partition itself from the recovery installer, it will store the disk image somewhere to reformat and then put it back afterwards. Either way it seems smart enough to remove any recovery partitions when the associated version of OS X is also erased which makes me think it's a DMG somewhere.

Observations:

When I tried to add a new partition to my disk a few years ago while I already had a second partition on it, Windows would not let me install into BootCamp because it said there were too many partitions. Which, if the recovery is a partition, then would make 3 which is too many, but if it's not a partition, it'd be 2. Maybe they fixed it recently. Maybe it used to be a physical partition, but isn't now. (I'd have to do more tests again. But I'll do that when I get a bigger internal drive.)

I have HardwareGrowler installed and I notice at certain times, mainly at software update time, this partition gets mounted for a few seconds and unmounted afterwards. So it's definitely not a partition that is around at all times. It's probably a disk image.

Short answer: It's HFS magic and we shouldn't think about how it works. Just that it works.

mrkgoo

Like I said I'm not sure, but f it's a mounted version of the recovery partition, it kind of doesn't exist except when mounted.

Like a dmg file that is mounted. It temporarily exists uncompressed from the dmg.

If I understand correctly. It really depends on how you are viewing it. Is the recovery hd mounted?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's definitely a disk image. I just don't know where it's stored, but Carbon Copy Cloner is able to back it up so it must be somewhere accessible.

I mean is it important to know where it is? Do you need it for anything? If so, look into CCC. It costs money now, but it has the ability to both optionally back up the recovery image as well as create a bootable installer from an OS X install app.

As for why it originally appeared in your Disk Utility, I don't know. Mine doesn't show up. And when I opened App Store and checked for updates, it unmounted it even though it didn't show up. So who knows. All I know is it works and it is stored on the disk that belongs to the OS and is mounted when needed. (So it can be updated easily by the OS if it ever needs to be.) It's definitely not an actual partition.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
On the recovery partition. See the first comment to the stackoverflow thread that mrkgoo linked.
Yeah, but is it an actual partition? It seems to be more like a sub-partition that is part of a partition and is removed if the main partition is. Instead of being a separate partition. Like if you go into Disk Utility and look at the partitions list it doesn't show up as a partition part of the main disk.

Unless the system is programmed to pretend it's not there for the user front-end. Probably to prevent them accidentally ruining it.

mrkgoo

I have a question about fusion drive.

I have a 2012 iMac with a fusion drive. Recently I restored to an earlier time machine backup to my iMac.

Does it do the same thing and return the same blocks onto the SSd? As in are the system files returned to the SSd? Otherwise, does the fusion drive function the same? Where does the software for maintaining fusion dive activity reside? Is it in the OS, or something even lower like a separate layer?

It is in the OS. On the component devices, thee will be some sort of listing that's loaded very early in boot that says "I'm with stupid", so they get linked together.

The CoreStorage software then moves the most accessed blocks to the faster device.

Restoring a Time Machine backup moves some (or a ton) of files around, but if the drive wasn't erased, it probably didn't have much of an effect.

mrkgoo

It is in the OS. On the component devices, thee will be some sort of listing that's loaded very early in boot that says "I'm with stupid", so they get linked together.

The CoreStorage software then moves the most accessed blocks to the faster device.

Restoring a Time Machine backup moves some (or a ton) of files around, but if the drive wasn't erased, it probably didn't have much of an effect.

Oh, ok, thanks.

What do you mean "if the drive wasn't erased"? Because when restoring a Time Machine backup (I did the entire drive), doesn't it always erase the drive during the restore?

At any rate, I imagine the Restore process knows to move system files to the SSD?

What do you mean "if the drive wasn't erased"? Because when restoring a Time Machine backup (I did the entire drive), doesn't it always erase the drive during the restore?

I have never done a complete Time Machine restore. I think. Maybe. So, I don't really know.

When Apple announced Fusion Drive, they unhelpfully said "all your system files and apps are on the SSD!", but a standard Mac from Apple has less space used than can fit on the 128GB SSD they ship, so everything is on the SSD.

Unless all your files fit on the SSD, or Time Machine restore was programmed to do system crap first (though it could just luck into that- 'Users' is alphabetically after 'System'), there is no guarantee the system files will be written to the SSD.

The Fusion Drive will move your most used files (blocks, actually) to the SSD over time, and is quite aggressive about it, so those system files needed for the things you use your Mac for will end up on the SSD.

Is this a Mac troubleshooting thread? I'm trying to set up my brand new MBA with Boot Camp and something really bizarre happened. I installed it yesterday using the official instructions and Boot Camp Assistant and everything went fine, I was able to get on the Internet and update Windows no problem. Windows worked just as expected. But I had only partitioned 50GB and I didn't think I had enough space left, so I decided to wipe it and install it again with a larger partition (60GB).

The second time I thought went just like the first, except when I got into Windows, the system didn't see any networks at all. Not one (there should be 5-6). And if it stayed idle for about 5 minutes, the system just froze. Without Internet there wasn't much I could do, so I went back into OS X to see if it was a problem with the hardware, and nope, wireless was working fine. This only happened in Windows. Frustrated, I wiped the Boot Camp partition and installed it a third time, this time re-creating the USB drive and redownloading the drivers with the Boot Camp Assistant. Same problem, Windows doesn't see any networks. The Broadcom adapter is listed in Device Manager without any problems, but clearly something isn't working right.

So what the hell is going on here? It worked fine the first time, but after wiping and re-creating the partition and installing Windows from the same ISO and flash drive, suddenly it won't work?

jts

...hate me...
Long shot, but do you guys know of a decent dynamic dns update client?

I've tried dyndns's official, but it's so crap. It's a windowed, dock app and it doesn't even seem to update properly to boot. And the red button closes the app or shuts down the session. How hard would it be to create a backgrounded, top bar app that does its job as it should. I'm pretty sure any competent Mac dev would do it with ease.

Usually people use their routers for that, but the Airport Extreme doesn't have that option, so screw it.

Last resort option will be to get any hardware that connects to the network and has a dynamic dns updater, like a cheap router or switch. Wanted to avoid that, but maybe it's the ideal solution.

jts

...hate me...
Inadyn is what I used before DynDNS went not-free. Can put it in your crontab or launchd.

Now I just use a shell script to hit something on my web-server to update a subdomain.
Thanks, sounds like exactly what I need, although I will have to read and learn a bit into it, as it uses a bit more involved stuff than just using an app.

In this case this is for a small business, so we went with paid dyndns with custom domain.

However, FYI, I have a free dyndns account for personal usage. The deal is, after they went paid only, previous free accounts are still usable for free, like grandfathered accounts. I'm not sure if you had to login and choose some option or something. Also not sure if old free accounts deprecate from not being used for a while. Could be.

But for me still works fine, aside for an extra hassle which is I have to login in their website every 30 days to keep the thing working, or it stops. Incentive to go paid.

Thanks, sounds like exactly what I need, although I will have to read and learn a bit into it, as it uses a bit more involved stuff than just using an app.

Well, an app that acted as a front end might be nice, but it's not that difficult. My inadyn.conf file is:
Code:
--alias [I]crudediatribe[/I].dyndns.org --username [I]crudediatribe[/I] --password [I]password1[/I] --syslog --iterations 1

In my crontab, I had:
Code:
23	0	*	*	*	(/usr/bin/inadyn --input_file /Volumes/Users/[I]moi[/I]/Documents/inadyn.conf)

Which runs it at 23 minutes past midnight, every day.

previous free accounts are still usable for free, like grandfathered accounts. I'm not sure if you had to login and choose some option or something.

I had a free account with them for almost a decade; the emails they sent me suggested it would no longer function in the manner I was accustomed. At the same time, my webhost added API access to their control panel which meant I could update a DNS record on the fly.

jts

...hate me...
Well, an app that acted as a front end might be nice, but it's not that difficult. My inadyn.conf file is:
Code:
--alias [I]crudediatribe[/I].dyndns.org --username [I]crudediatribe[/I] --password [I]password1[/I] --syslog --iterations 1

In my crontab, I had:
Code:
23	0	*	*	*	(/usr/bin/inadyn --input_file /Volumes/Users/[I]moi[/I]/Documents/inadyn.conf)

Which runs it at 23 minutes past midnight, every day.

I had a free account with them for almost a decade; the emails they sent me suggested it would no longer function in the manner I was accustomed. At the same time, my webhost added API access to their control panel which meant I could update a DNS record on the fly.
Ok, thank you very much.

While we're here, I'll push my luck and ask you this much: I need to run a filemaker DB on a Mac server. It needs to be running like, all the time the computer is on (which is, all the time - but there can be reboots, power failures, etc). I've, more or less unsuccessfully, tried to come up and search for a script that simply opens a file (in this case, the .fmp12 file) on login. Do you have any suggestions?

I've, more or less unsuccessfully, tried to come up and search for a script that simply opens a file (in this case, the .fmp12 file) on login. Do you have any suggestions?

See if the Terminal's 'open' command knows what to do with that file.

Code:
open thing.fmp12

If so, put this in a text file name whatever.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
open thing.fmp12

Bless it in terminal to execute:
Code:
chmod +x [I]whatever[/I].sh

And then put it in your login items.

Baconbitz

Banned
So, I wanna use my iMac while away from it via my iPhone. To wake it I was thinking of using this app unless someone suggests otherwise. I need a good suggestion for an app to actually use my iMac. Any suggestions?

jts

...hate me...
See if the Terminal's 'open' command knows what to do with that file.

Code:
open thing.fmp12

If so, put this in a text file name whatever.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
open thing.fmp12

Bless it in terminal to execute:
Code:
chmod +x [I]whatever[/I].sh

And then put it in your login items.
Many kudos, CrudeDiatribe. You're always a scholar and a gentleman.
So, I wanna use my iMac while away from it via my iPhone. To wake it I was thinking of using this app unless someone suggests otherwise. I need a good suggestion for an app to actually use my iMac. Any suggestions?
I prefer Splashtop over Teamviewer in terms of usage, but Teamviewer is easier to setup for control over the internet.

Ideally, I'd go for a VNC client and just use the Mac's screen sharing, but I never found a VNC client on iOS on the cheap so I never tried it.

That app seems like a serviceable WoL app. Personally, I'd go with leaving the Mac on (with no sleep), but that's just me.

I use iTeleport for VNC/RDP. Works out of the box with SSH tunnelling, so I can access my Mac from anywhere I have internet access. Also use it to access Windows computers at work in conjunction with the native iOS VPN client. My Mac doesn't go to sleep, so waking it up isn't really an issue.

Some operations don't work really well on a tiny screen and using a touch screen to emulate a keyboard and mouse, but I've never been unable to do what needed to be done, albeit with some cursing and swearing.

Many kudos, CrudeDiatribe. You're always a scholar and a gentleman.

Thank you, thank you.

I just checked and you can drag documents into the login items list in System Prefs > Users > Login Items, so that might be even easier.

Baconbitz

Banned
I use iTeleport for VNC/RDP. Works out of the box with SSH tunnelling, so I can access my Mac from anywhere I have internet access. Also use it to access Windows computers at work in conjunction with the native iOS VPN client. My Mac doesn't go to sleep, so waking it up isn't really an issue.

Some operations don't work really well on a tiny screen and using a touch screen to emulate a keyboard and mouse, but I've never been unable to0 do what needed to be done, albeit with some cursing and swearing.

I was using a remote access application. Is VNC somehow better?

I was using a remote access application. Is VNC somehow better?

I have no experience with other options. I know from work that RDP uses less bandwidth than VNC, so presumably there are other better-than-VNC options. VNC is built into the Mac, so it's nice from the out-of-the-box standpoint.

I bought iTeleport when there were three options on the iOS app store and spending $5 or $10 on either of the two shitty ones didn't make any sense. Now that I have a $25 app that does everything I need I might as well keep using it ;)

Tuck

Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but:

Weird issue - music pauses when I press enter on the keyboard (or, unpauses if no music is playing).

Anyone heard of this? Its... really annoying.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I have no idea how to fix this. I googled the issue and tried the repair/ verify disk option and it didnt work.

jQayZehDfIrLR.jpg

jts

...hate me...
I got that. Recently.

It was indeed hard drive failure. But more specifically, and kinda more luckily I guess, it was hard drive cable failure. The disk itself was fine.

Top Bottom