• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

mrkgoo

I love Launch Pad. I dumped DragThing when it came out. The gesture to get to it is nice. The look is nice. I don't understand the hate. I love LP.
I think it looks fine and operates fine, but the hate it gets is that of all the ways to launch an app, it's kind of slow and redundant.

I don't mind launch pad, but I never really found a need for it, as the best way to launch apps remains spotlight (or some other equivalent).

Guess Who

Banned
The benefit of LaunchPad isn't that it's the fastest, most efficient way to launch an app - it's the most obvious. Which isn't helpful for power users, but is tremendously helpful for new ones, especially those who are converting from iOS devices to the Mac.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think it looks fine and operates fine, but the hate it gets is that of all the ways to launch an app, it's kind of slow and redundant.

I don't mind launch pad, but I never really found a need for it, as the best way to launch apps remains spotlight (or some other equivalent).
I use all the ways. Sometimes I press Command+Space and type. Sometimes I squeeze and click. Sometimes I press F12 to open LP and choose the app. Sometimes I squeeze or F12 and type. I like having all the options. And a built-in launcher with all my apps instead of DragThing. The only thing I did miss at first was DT's ability to have folders, also I wish I could manually add aliases to things to it as well like aliases to folders and URL's/links. (For instance a link to my Mac mini server that opens in Screen Sharing. Right now I just name it MMS and type that in Spotlight.)

mrkgoo

The benefit of LaunchPad isn't that it's the fastest, most efficient way to launch an app - it's the most obvious. Which isn't helpful for power users, but is tremendously helpful for new ones, especially those who are converting from iOS devices to the Mac.

This is true.

It was added as a way to be akin to the home screen of an iPad. I still feel the gesture is pretty unobvious (even if it matches the iPad), and having a button on the dock was really just the same as my old shortcut to my applications folder.

I get the point ifit, but it still didn't really seem to add much to the whole max OS x experience, even for new users.to make a better analogy, maybe they should've made it a home screen, but that's perilously close to windows 8...

mrkgoo

I use all the ways. Sometimes I press Command+Space and type. Sometimes I squeeze and click. Sometimes I press F12 to open LP and choose the app. Sometimes I squeeze or F12 and type. I like having all the options. And a built-in launcher with all my apps instead of DragThing. The only thing I did miss at first was DT's ability to have folders, also I wish I could manually add aliases to things to it as well like aliases to folders and URL's/links. (For instance a link to my Mac mini server that opens in Screen Sharing. Right now I just name it MMS and type that in Spotlight.)

Like I said, I don't mind. It,s a pretty version of an apps folder. And it does have icons with the badges. Funny thing was, it's such a simple thing, yet people still had tons of issues keeping apps in order, or multiple icons etc.

Guess Who

Banned
It was added as a way to be akin to the home screen of an iPad. I still feel the gesture is pretty unobvious (even if it matches the iPad), and having a button on the dock was really just the same as my old shortcut to my applications folder.

Keep in mind on newer Macs, it also replaces the Dashboard key.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I get the point ifit, but it still didn't really seem to add much to the whole max OS x experience, even for new users.to make a better analogy, maybe they should've made it a home screen, but that's perilously close to windows 8...
No please. Launch Pad is as close to a launcher as I want to get to Windows 8. Though a few more abilities would be nice for me. Like my aforementioned ability to manually add links to stuff like URL's and folders. Adding the search box was a nice start. I keep all my apps on one page.

Like I said, I don't mind. It,s a pretty version of an apps folder. And it does have icons with the badges. Funny thing was, it's such a simple thing, yet people still had tons of issues keeping apps in order, or multiple icons etc.
Well to be fair they have since fixed those weird problems. I haven't had any issues since ML.

Ha. DashBoard. I'd use it if it was always active. But as soon as it leaves the screen it pauses which means I can't create a giant clock/calendar/weather widget that can be seen from Mission Control. Right now it's useless and it should die. But if I could figure out a way to make it always active even when not on screen, or at least make it update as soon as I activate MC, then I have it disabled. For now I just use Bowtie and a custom Bowlet for MC visible date and time.

One feature I wish someone would make is the ability to have the menubar always visible in fullscreen apps. Basically report the screen size as 22 pixels less high than normal and fill up that space, but keep the menubar always on screen. Then I could have a clock up there that I can always see. Also it would prevent accidental activations when I just want to click a tab.

Genocyber

Trashing the Text Wrangler app and reinstalling it fixed the issue. I first make sure that in the Security & Privacy preferences that "Allow applications downloaded from: Anywhere" was first enabled. This setting might have been set to "Mac App Store" when I first started in the installation of the application causing not all components to cleanly install.

The new issue is that in Launchpad some of the apps are now incorrectly named. Hopefully another Launchpad reset will fix the issue.

I only use launchpad to start apps that I don't regularly use as I prefer to use the Dock to start an application and don't want the Dock full of icons of applications that I don't regularly use.

Everyone's help has been appreciated.

IncorrectAppNames_zps5d9f7a3e.png

mrkgoo

Ah, of course, this makes sense.

I used dashboard a lot for that gesture, but withe the removal of it to use launchpad, had me delegate dashboard to a separate screen so I can acces it with gestures.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Trashing the Text Wrangler app and reinstalling it fixed the issue. I first make sure that in the Security & Privacy preferences that "Allow applications downloaded from: Anywhere" was first enabled. This setting might have been set to "Mac App Store" when I first started in the installation of the application causing not all components to cleanly install.

The new issue is that in Launchpad some of the apps are now incorrectly named. Hopefully another Launchpad reset will fix the issue.

I only use launchpad to start apps that I don't regularly use as I prefer to use the Dock to start an application and don't want the Dock full of icons of applications that I don't regularly use.

Everyone's help has been appreciated.

IncorrectAppNames_zps5d9f7a3e.png

Strange. I know it's pretty simple advice, but it usually works, have you tried restarting your computer?

My wife's hard drive failed in her 2009 MBP. I managed to save the Home directory by pulling out the drive and copying it to an external via an external enclosure. yay!

Anyway, I have a copy of 10.8 on my desktop's HDD. Can I reinstall the OS on her HDD from my desktop while it's hooked up to my computer, or should I just put the HDD back in the MBP and reinstall from Recovery Mode? I feel like it might be easier to reinstall 10.8 while I've got it plugged in to my computer.

mrkgoo

My wife's hard drive failed in her 2009 MBP. I managed to save the Home directory by pulling out the drive and copying it to an external via an external enclosure. yay!

Anyway, I have a copy of 10.8 on my desktop's HDD. Can I reinstall the OS on her HDD from my desktop while it's hooked up to my computer, or should I just put the HDD back in the MBP and reinstall from Recovery Mode? I feel like it might be easier to reinstall 10.8 while I've got it plugged in to my computer.

Recovery mode would probably take longer, as it redownloads the OS. On the other hand, doing it from your desktop may not be advised, as it may actually run an installer and install relevant parts for your desktop.

mrkgoo

Speaking of, does anyone actually use the dashboard? It got in the way so I disabled it. Nothing redeeming about it.

Got in the way? That's a new one. It's out of the way, and doesn't even load unless you invoke it.

I used to like the fly in, but that gesture was replaced by launchpad (less useful in my opinion), so I had to enable dashboard as an extra space.

I find it incredibly useful. I have calculator, weather widgets, converters, a Time Machine log, iStat, all available at a quick glance via a swipe.

I get that some people may not find it as useful, but nothing redeeming?

Majine

Banned
Alot of the dashboard widgets feel really old, and they have been replaced by better alternatives. For example, I can just type 2+2 in Spotlight and it gives me the answer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Dashboard is outdated. The only thing it got since it came out is a space of its own. It doesn't update in the background and likes to sleep all the time. The widgets are outdated and all really ugly in that they don't match the current OS X feel anymore. It really should be removed but people still use it so Apple keeps it around. I expect Apple will either retire it in 10.9 or maybe update it. Or at the very least disable it by default on new machines but keep it there for people who want it.

I use Bowtie with a custom bowlet that gives me all the information I need right on my desktop. Coupled with GeekTool it's really awesome. I'd use Dashboard if it updated in the background, if at least optionally, so when in Mission Control you can see it updating. But it sleeps when focus is removed from it. Aways has. Especially evident if you activate it and you see it in its previous state for a second before it wakes up and updates.

Anyone remember Konfabulator? Man that was awesome until it was bought by Yahoo! and they said it wouldn't hurt progress of the app but then progress of the app was hurt horribly by the acquisition by Yahoo!. People cried out at the Konfab team saying it was the dumbest idea they ever had. And it was. That app is still around but so stale now because progress stopped completely. The website now redirects to Yahoo! Connected TV.

GeekTool would be better if it allowed for display of WebKit like Bowtie and Dashboard do.

But now this is a rant.

mrkgoo

Alot of the dashboard widgets feel really old, and they have been replaced by better alternatives. For example, I can just type 2+2 in Spotlight and it gives me the answer.

Sure, some feel old, but there loads of useful ones out there. Sure you can type 2+2 in spotlight, but does that make the entire dashboard pointless?

Even basic calculations you often want to add multiple things, like in a list. Spotlight isn't quite the same for that.

Speaking of, does anyone actually use the dashboard? It got in the way so I disabled it. Nothing redeeming about it.

I use it once in a while, for currency and unit conversions and world clocks. Moving it to its own space was fucking ridiculous and ruinous for it; at least it can be disabled so it plops down wherever you're working.

mrkgoo

I use it once in a while, for currency and unit conversions and world clocks. Moving it to its own space was fucking ridiculous and ruinous for it; at least it can be disabled so it plops down wherever you're working.

I don't really like the separate space either, but I prefer being able to access it with a gesture. As far as I know, that's the only way to do so (without third party options - no doubt BTT probably allows it)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sure, some feel old, but there loads of useful ones out there. Sure you can type 2+2 in spotlight, but does that make the entire dashboard pointless?

Even basic calculations you often want to add multiple things, like in a list. Spotlight isn't quite the same for that.
In which case you just Command+Space, type calc and enter and there you go in an instant. A calculator that doesn't look ugly and has more features. Most Widgets are just frontends to other apps that don't matter anymore since Flash storage has made these apps load instantly now so you don't need to even worry anymore. They were originally created as a callback to old Desktop Accessories. But flash and processor speed and memory limit raising has made them completely unnecessary now.

Got in the way? That's a new one. It's out of the way, and doesn't even load unless you invoke it.

I used to like the fly in, but that gesture was replaced by launchpad (less useful in my opinion), so I had to enable dashboard as an extra space.

I find it incredibly useful. I have calculator, weather widgets, converters, a Time Machine log, iStat, all available at a quick glance via a swipe.

I get that some people may not find it as useful, but nothing redeeming?

It got in the way when I would swipe between windows an accidentally swipe one more than I intended... Idk i'm a bit neurotic about it and found it ugly and a waste of space. I'd rather have a large, on going Terminal screen there instead.

mrkgoo

In which case you just Command+Space, type calc and enter and there you go in an instant. A calculator that doesn't look ugly and has more features. Most Widgets are just frontends to other apps that don't matter anymore since Flash storage has made these apps load instantly now so you don't need to even worry anymore. They were originally created as a callback to old Desktop Accessories. But flash and processor speed and memory limit raising has made them completely unnecessary now.
I actually use a third party calculator widget because I like scientific features. But nothing beats adding lists of values like on a shopping list than a calculator, where you can see a running total.

I get that stuff can load instantly, but its nice that I can have a bunch of apps kind of preloaded in one area. I guess it's possible to just have another space and open up a calculator app and a dictionary app etc, but then, you know ... Dashboard :)

Something i thought would have been a great idea was to have an iOS emulator widget. Allow you to buy iOS apps and run them in widgets on the dashboard. Retina kind of blew that a little as a full res app is now huge. Well, unless you have a retina mac.

Something i thought would have been a great idea was to have an iOS emulator widget. Allow you to buy iOS apps and run them in widgets on the dashboard. Retina kind of blew that a little as a full res app is now huge. Well, unless you have a retina mac.

That would be actually pretty useful. The simulator is already there (via xcode anyway) and it's actually full featured (I decided to browse the internet as a joke on it and it worked)

mrkgoo

It got in the way when I would swipe between windows an accidentally swipe one more than I intended... Idk i'm a bit neurotic about it and found it ugly and a waste of space. I'd rather have a large, on going Terminal screen there instead.

It is ugly. And I get that if you don't use it, it's a waste of space. But still, it's not totally worthless to all users.

You can make a full screen terminal on another space right?

Oh man can't wait to see what 10.9 brings in the way of proper multimonitor usage and full screen.

mrkgoo

That would be actually pretty useful. The simulator is already there (via xcode anyway) and it's actually full featured (I decided to browse the internet as a joke on it and it worked)

I read about a way that you can run a small iOS mobile safari window on Mac OS X - it was really cool. I think it used Automator to make a self contained web app that identified as mobile safari. I used to use mobile Neogaf as a little window on my desktop with it. It was more novelty, though.

But yeah imagine a dashboard where you can run your favourite iOS weather app. Obviously it'd require all sort of weird work around a to simulate multitouch so it won't ever happen. Plus they'd rather sell you an iPhone to use as your dashboard :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is there any tweak available that highlights the notification icon when there are new notifications? A way to change it back to how it was in the beta would suffice.

hirokazu

Is anyone able to help me with this surround output issue:

I can get VLC to output Dolby Digital and DTS by selecting HDMI (Encoded Output) as the audio device. However I am trying to get 5.1 FLAC files to play properly and not only does it downmix it to L C R speakers, it outputs this to the wrong speakers, so the centre audio comes out of the rear left speaker, etc.

I have set up the speakers in Audio MIDI Setup and tested that every speaker is correct and working, so this is a VLC issue. Is there a way to make it decode then output to surround, and also manually set up which speakers are which?

If not, what other app should I be looking at?

EDIT: Nevermind, the issue seems to have resolved itself. Seems like VLC and/or OS X is very buggy at handling HDMI output.

Magnus

Formatting an external HD to use primarily with my MacBook Pro, but would be nice to have it useable with my Windows 7 PC too.

exFAT?

Or since I'm primarily using it with my Mac, does it make sense to make the majority of it Mac OS Journaled on one partition and exFAT for the rest?

Also, speed-wise, is exFAT better than other options?

Formatting an external HD to use primarily with my MacBook Pro, but would be nice to have it useable with my Windows 7 PC too.

exFAT?

Or since I'm primarily using it with my Mac, does it make sense to make the majority of it Mac OS Journaled on one partition and exFAT for the rest?

Also, speed-wise, is exFAT better than other options?

I had this same dilemma a few days ago. I read in a few places that exFAT is not journaled, so if there's a sudden power loss, you could potentially lose data. I don't know how reliable that information is, I just saw it on a few forums. For this reason, and because time machine does not work with exFAT drives, I ended up sticking with Mac OS Journaled. I figured if I need to access it using my Windows PC, I could find some software (Paragon?) that would allow me to read the Mac formatted drive.

Fewr

I'm a super noob in terms of mac stuff, I've got this computer:

Mac Mini
2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
5 GB 1067Mz DDR3
OSX 10.5.8

Which OS update can I / should I get?

Thanks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm a super noob in terms of mac stuff, I've got this computer:

Mac Mini
2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
5 GB 1067Mz DDR3
OSX 10.5.8

Which OS update can I / should I get?

Thanks.
Mountain Lion will help I would think. It's $20. But since you're on 10.5 you're going to have trouble getting it since you need Snow Leopard (10.6) I think in order to actually download it. (I assume 10.5 doesn't have an App Store?)

Fewr

Thanks for the help. Will there be any performance issues after upgrading? Are there any system requirements? how can I tell how high I can go?

Magnus

Friends, need advice or need to be pointed to the GAF-approved guide on the topic of replacing my HD with an SSD. I'll be doing the surgery itself later on (as well as a RAM upgrade into my MBP, can't wait to see the combined speed upgrade).

So, I have Mountain Lion. My end goal is, I'd love to have a fresh/clean installation of Mountain Lion on the new SSD as my main drive, and then, all my applications installed there too.

Noob Questions:

1. When I reinstall all my applications, and use my same installation keys again...am I using up a second installation or something? Or will the system recognize that I'm the same user just reinstalling it on my own comp?

2. How would I go about installing Mountain Lion on the new SSD if it's the only hard drive in my MBP? Like, when I start up, will it detect that the drive isn't formatted and has nothing on it, and prompt me for an OS installation? How best to give it the Mountain Lion installation? Download it now from the App Store and burn that to a DVD? I also have two external HDs to work with, one is functioning as a Time Machine, one as just a large 2 TB external that I could put the installer on, I guess.

tl;dr, I talk too much, I know. Need help creating that ML installer.

3. I love you GAF. Thanks!

mrkgoo

Friends, need advice or need to be pointed to the GAF-approved guide on the topic of replacing my HD with an SSD. I'll be doing the surgery itself later on (as well as a RAM upgrade into my MBP, can't wait to see the combined speed upgrade).

So, I have Mountain Lion. My end goal is, I'd love to have a fresh/clean installation of Mountain Lion on the new SSD as my main drive, and then, all my applications installed there too.

Noob Questions:

1. When I reinstall all my applications, and use my same installation keys again...am I using up a second installation or something? Or will the system recognize that I'm the same user just reinstalling it on my own comp?

2. How would I go about installing Mountain Lion on the new SSD if it's the only hard drive in my MBP? Like, when I start up, will it detect that the drive isn't formatted and has nothing on it, and prompt me for an OS installation? How best to give it the Mountain Lion installation? Download it now from the App Store and burn that to a DVD? I also have two external HDs to work with, one is functioning as a Time Machine, one as just a large 2 TB external that I could put the installer on, I guess.

tl;dr, I talk too much, I know. Need help creating that ML installer.

3. I love you GAF. Thanks!

I just did an HD swap.

Previously, you would just insert a CD and boot from the DVD drive by holding command C or something. It would load a small version of Mac OS X that had the utilities to do a clean install or format a drive.

Of course, Mountain Lion doesn't come on disc at all. The alternative for reinstalling is to hold command R to boot from a recovery partition.

Of course (2), if you're installing a new drive it won't even have that on it. If you have a newer mac it can connect to Internet to download and install ML on a new drive.

If you have an older one without Internet recovery, you have to create a bootable USB drive that will copy the recovery partition to a USB. Apple have a released a tool to do this. It's actually called the lion recovery disk assistant or something.

There are also ways to rip the installer from the downloaded ML package if you don't mind doing some very minor hacking about. I prefer to stick with official methods as much as possible so I created one using the official tool.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This is really annoying and happens all the time. Well, it happens when I close my Macbook and go to bed. When I wake up and try to start it up (it's been hibernating), it is extremely slow, the keyboard and mouse doesn't respond. The screen will go black and it will sleep again. I have to turn it back on. Sometimes at this point the keyboard responds, sometimes not. Usually it turns off again and I have to start it up again. Then when I turn it on for the third time it usually works.

Why is this happening?

mrkgoo

Jesus Christ Skype is a piece of junk now.

MY wife still uses Skype 2.8, but tried a video chat recently, and it didn't work. NO info why. It just doesn't.

Searching around seems to show that 2.8 will no longer video interface with 6.2 and later. Ok, it was bound to happen.

So we update the app - may as well now. It updates to 6.3, but the main window is completely borked. It won't update to show anything. This means you can't see video. It also means you can't select a contact and show the instant message box.

Then we find out that the update isn't even the latest update. Why would the "update" button not give you the latest version available on the site?

Anyway, long story short, Skype doesn't work at all on my wife's MacBook. Works fine on mine. So no idea. Might have to nuke the skype preferences and history.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This is really annoying and happens all the time. Well, it happens when I close my Macbook and go to bed. When I wake up and try to start it up (it's been hibernating), it is extremely slow, the keyboard and mouse doesn't respond. The screen will go black and it will sleep again. I have to turn it back on. Sometimes at this point the keyboard responds, sometimes not. Usually it turns off again and I have to start it up again. Then when I turn it on for the third time it usually works.

Why is this happening?

Very hard to say. You could try an SMC reset or even a PRAM.

My air sometimes goes back to sleep after waking it up, Pressing a button brings it back to life though. Never does it a third time in a row.

Top Bottom