• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macron Campaign Emails Hacked and Posted Online

RDreamer

People are saying this is too close to the elections to mean much, and I don't know a much about French politics so I could be way off base on this, but if this election seemed like a foregone conclusion at this point due to what polling says then wouldn't this be the best time to throw this shit out there? Macron can't respond and it'll put a huge weird cloud to deal with if/when he wins.

It feels like the second best thing to do if you're Russia and want to fuck with things but don't think you can actually swing the election anyway.

Brexit defied the polls too. Also the my main source of the US election coverage was 538.. soo uhhh what pundits?

Polls are clearly not infallible. All I'm saying is, have we not learned our lesson? I'm on the same side as you guys. Let's not put all our hopes and confidence in polls. Information travels fast, pretending that the election can't be effected is wishful thinking.

Granted, I'm not that familiar with your every-day French person, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. Just trying to come from a place of realism.

With that said, I'm not trying to start an argument, even though my comment was pretty shit-posty. So, sorry about that.

Remain and Leave were basically tied. Anything could've happened. It was on us for not realizing that Leave was a real possibility given the polling.

Hillary ended up winning the popular vote, and the national polls were pretty decent, and 538 gave Trump a 30% chance of winning. A late swing near the end probably wasn't captured by the polls but she was only up by a few points which makes a polling swing towards your opponent more dramatic.

This is nothing like those situations. Macron is up by over 20 points. It's annoying to have people say this without any context. The French polls were also nearly perfect in the first round.

What's the point? The media and the campaigns can't comment on it so how many people in France will even know it happened?

Russia's broader goal is to undermine Western institutions and destabilize the international order. France is on the verge of electing a young, popular internationalist President. If you can't beat him, this kind of controversy right before the election can at least bloody his nose and rile up that radicals on the right and left.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Brexit defied the polls too.

It's true that the 51-49 result of Brexit defied the ~49-51 poll average at the date of the election. By two points.

Polls are clearly not infallible. All I'm saying is, have we not learned our lesson? I'm on the same side as you guys. Let's not put all our hopes and confidence in polls. Information travels fast, pretending that the election can't be effected is wishful thinking.

Do you think the world is completely random? We can't know anything? It's a miracle the sun comes up in the morning?

It's true that the 51-49 result of Brexit defied the ~49-51 poll average at the date of the election. By two points.

Do you think the world is completely random? We can't know anything? It's a miracle the sun comes up in the morning?

brexit also suffered fuckery from the russians.

Our political class won't get into it, because it undermines the current "brexit is awesome, vote tory" message.

This is my QUICK translation, read but do not circulate I may have flubbed something

The En Marche! movement (party) has been a victim of a massive and coordinated hack which today led to the spread of a variety of internal materials (mails, documents, financial accounts, contracts) on social media.

The documents that circulated were obtained several weeks ago thanks to hacking the work email accounts of several members of the movement.

Those that are circulating the documents have added to the authentic documents a number of false documents in order to spread doubt and disinformation.

By intervening during these final hours of the official campaign, this attack smacks of an attempt to destabilize our democracy, like the attempts against the United States in the last presidential election.

During the whole campaign, En Marche! has been the party most frequently targeted by these attempts, in an intense and repeated way.

The intention of the authors of this hit and run is to harm En Marche! just hours before the second round of the French presidential election.

Obviously, the documents that came from this hack are all legal and represent the normal function of a political campaign. Their spread makes public internal data but it's not of the kind that we're worried about the legality and properness of the documents in question.

The accounts (contracts / agreements) of the campaign, of which certain scattershot elements were spread, will be disclosed at the regular time to the National Commission on Campaign Accounts. We expect, however, attention to be paid to the fact that a number of the documents published relate to provisional contracts that were never actually finalized.

We appeal to the media who wish to discuss this attack to keep in mind their responsibility. This is not a regular hack attack, but an effort to destabilize the french election. It is thus important to think about the nature of the stolen documents, keep in mind that many of the spread documents are false, and if one repeats them then one amplifies the destabilizing effect of the attack.

We will do everything necessary with public and private actors to clarify the details of this attack during the French election campaign.

The seriousness of the facts is already certainly: we would not want to tolerate the vital interests of our democracy being endangered.

Thanks for this.

Armaros

Brexit defied the polls too. Also the my main source of the US election coverage was 538.. soo uhhh what pundits?

Granted, I'm not that familiar with your every-day French person, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. Just trying to come from a place of realism.

With that said, I'm not trying to start an argument, even though my comment was pretty shit-posty. So, sorry about that.

So you are going to ignore everything in context about the polls.

Do a classic 'but the polls were wrong (they weren't actually)

And also ignore that every French poll has him up by 20% and not 2% of Hillary and Brexit?

And we have around 24 hrs until voting?

Also that France is asleep right now?

Addi

Russia's broader goal is to undermine Western institutions and destabilize the international order. France is on the verge of electing a young, popular internationalist President. If you can't beat him, this kind of controversy right before the election can at least bloody his nose and rile up that radicals on the right and left.

On the other hand, it was surprising when it happened in the US. Now everybody is like "oh, it's the Russians again". Also, the leaks need some really big scandals in them for the French to even care. Hollande's popularity actually went up after he was caught cheating on his wife.

So you are going to ignore everything in context about the polls.

Do a classic 'but the polls were wrong (they weren't actually)

And also ignore that every French poll has him up by 20% and not 2% of Hillary and Brexit?

And we have around 24 hrs until voting?

Also that France is asleep right now?

IF FRANCE IS ASLEEP WHO IS WATCHING THE CHILDREN

MUnited83

For you.

Sounds like you don't know how to read a fucking poll. Not only that, you have pretty shitty memory.

jetsetrez

If this turns out to be Russia as well, or Wikileaks via Russia.. how in the hell is the west still having diplomatic relations with Russia? Why is this not a bigger deal? To me these things seem like major, major acts of aggression.

If this turns out to be Russia as well, or Wikileaks via Russia.. how in the hell is the west still having diplomatic relations with Russia?

snl15n-1-web.jpg

In related news, RT and Sputnik want to press charges against Macron because his campaign has repeatedly and explicitly mentioned them when it came to spreading fake news. They're basically pulling a Trump "no, you're the fake news, and you smear our good name".

French source

Russia is going all in at the eleventh hour. I'm really glad we got rid of their friend Fillon.

EYEL1NER

Absolutely nothing. Only the fact that he has been a banker for Rothschild. So you know, he has to have off-shore accounts and steal money... Every party has been attacking him from the start and nobody could find anything on him.
Okay, thanks.

Pedrito

Stop trying to make #MacronLeaks happen. It's not going to happen.

The funniest thing about this election is all the "housewives from Nebraska" and Pepe avatars who don't speak a word of French being obsessed with it.

In related news, RT and Sputnik want to press charges against Macron because his campaign has repeatedly and explicitly mentioned them when it came to spreading fake news. They're basically pulling a Trump "no, you're the fake news, and you smear our good name".

French source

Russia is going all in at the eleventh hour. I'm really glad we got rid of their friend Fillon.

Cmon France

Dont be like us! This is blatantly Russian intevention

mo60

French source

Russia is not going to be that happy on sunday.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Luckily Le Pen has absolutely no chance of winning, so I'm not too worried about this. But jeez, is there anything we can do about about these Russian hackers? Can they actually be stopped or are we just gonna have to put up with this shit forever?

Luckily Le Pen has absolutely no chance of winning, so I'm not too worried about this. But jeez, is there anything we can do about about these Russian hackers? Can they actually be stopped or are we just gonna have to put up with this shit forever?

???

since when? I thought they were frighteningly close?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
brexit also suffered fuckery from the russians.

Our political class won't get into it, because it undermines the current "brexit is awesome, vote tory" message.

this country didn't need outside interference to influence that stupidity thankyouverymuch.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Looks like someone putin a lot of work to get those emails leaked...

MIMIC

Banned
An Ifop-Fiducial survey on Friday afternoon, hours before official campaigning closed at midnight, showed Macron on course to win 63 percent of votes in the second round and Le Pen 37 percent, the best score for Macron recorded by a major polling organization since mid-April.

Four other polls earlier in the day put the centrist on 62 percent and Le Pen on 38 percent, and a fifth showed Macron on 61.5 percent, as his second-round campaign gained ground following a stuttering start last week.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-election-idUSKBN18014H

I'm putting $100 on Le Pen =p

this country didn't need outside interference to influence that stupidity thankyouverymuch.

Russia was up in the US election, the French and German elections. You don't think they would give a shit about a Brexit referendum?

Theresa May won't ever disclose that shit, the same she never mentioned about that dodgy nuclear submarine that launched a bad missile off the coast of the USA.

She won't say anything that's got to do with Russian meddling, it doesn't suit her political narrative. You notice the Republicans aren't doing much either?

They can't endorse it because it hurts them politically at this point.

Oh and of course Nigel Farage captain brexit, who has he been visiting...? Donald Trump and.... a certain Ecuadorian embassy.

The notion that Russians didn't meddle in the brexit referendum with botnets and funds would be erroneous and logically flawed.

Top Bottom