• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manafort's emails show he sold confidential Trump campaign info to Russian oligarch

Maxim726X

He’s the campaign manager...and not the only one getting shady with the Russian government. Literally everyone from Trump’s inner circle is doing the same shady shit, the only answer is it came from the top.

Need proof.

Everyone knows that Manafort (and Don Jr) did all of this shady shit with Trump's approval. But unless there's an email trail or some other incontrovertible evidence, it doesn't matter.

Nafai1123

Banned
Don't see how... If anything, it will make it a easier to make Manafort the patsy. Nothing here supports the Obstruction charge we're hoping is stuck to Trump.

Not sure I agree with this. Any evidence of collusion supports obstruction of justice because it provides intent/motive.

rjinaz

These are the worst criminals ever. If this was a movie it would be criticized for how dumb it made its villains.

I mean, I think had they not got involved with the Presidential election, they would have probably been in the clear. I'm really not sure what these people were thinking, that have such dirty laundry, thinking it wouldn't somehow get seen on such a large stage.

Fergie

Banned
tYcmBgd.gif

Xe4

Banned
I hate to sound like a broken clock, but I really hope whoever is doing this leaking isn't tied to Mueller's team, or are doing it with his permission. If not, that's shameful.

That said, get FUCKED Manafort. Rot in jail you POS.

jelly

Like any mafia like boss or money launderer front, you don't get your hands dirty. Trump may be a moron but from his upbringing and the people he worked with, I imagine he knows exactly what is happening but is never tied to any of it.

rjinaz

Need proof.

Everyone knows that Manafort (and Don Jr) did all of this shady shit with Trump's approval. But unless there's an email trail or some other incontrovertible evidence, it doesn't matter.

Well it certainly could matter come election time. Trump having people tied to him that gave info to Russia and facing criminal charges is not something a lot of the voting block will just ignore, despite what Fox News may try. Especially if Trump is pardoning a lot of his people. People are going to be fickle enough with Trump.

But in terms of anything criminal, I mean yeah, this may not be the end game but hopefully it leads to something.

For real though. How much jail time will he actually get?

This isn't one of those things that being rich and white will land him two or three months in a minimum security luxury resort prison right?

jelly

These are the worst criminals ever. If this was a movie it would be criticized for how dumb it made its villains.

1. Money makes people do stupid things
2. The digging and focus on them would have been unlikely to materialize if they hadn't won
3. They thought they would be kings and could control, cover up anything.

devilhawk

The fact that he is using stupid thinly veiled references makes this even worse. And also pathetic. I imagine this guy will be having a lengthy stay in Leavenworth, Kansas.

I mean, I think had they not got involved with the Presidential election, they would have probably been in the clear. I'm really not sure what these people were thinking, that have such dirty laundry, thinking it wouldn't somehow get seen on such a large stage.
Had Trump lost, like they (and we) all thought he would, no one would be looking into any of this.

Problem is that things didn't pan out for anyone.

MIMIC

Banned
That doesn't stop Manafort from flipping when faced with massive criminal charges.

I don't know how comfortable I am with everyone (everyone) putting their hopes on Manafort (or anyone) flipping. That is certainly not a sure thing. Additionally, whatever crime involved here is likely to be a federal one, which Trump could pardon.

Maxim726X

Well it certainly could matter come election time. Trump having people tied to him that gave info to Russia and facing criminal charges is not something a lot of the voting block will just ignore, despite what Fox News may try. Especially if Trump is pardoning a lot of his people. People are going to be fickle enough with Trump.

But in terms of anything criminal, I mean yeah, this may not be the end game but hopefully it leads to something.

His base won't, and Republicans probably won't. The last few months have proven that it's unlikely that anything will sway them. Particularly when Trump can just blame the prefect Patsy.

rjinaz

His base won't, and Republicans probably won't. The last few months have proven that it's unlikely that anything will sway them. Particularly when Trump can just blame the prefect Patsy.

We don't need a big wave, just a ripple. Hillary Clinton, who was almost as unfavorable a candidate as Trump, still had 3 million more votes than him. Throw in a candidate people don't hate (justified or not) and there you go. No nothing is for granted, but people act like the public doesn't change the way they vote. They go back and forth, and it doesn't take much to sour them. Obama wouldn't have been president if Republicans are the only ones that can ever win in this political climate.

jfkgoblue

People need to stop getting their hopes up that Trump is going to be tied to any of this. He doesn’t use email so short of there being a recording of him colluding, there is little chance of him being implicated.

Unfortunately we are stuck with him for (at least) 3 1/2 more years.

Plumbob

People need to stop getting their hopes up that Trump is going to be tied to any of this. He doesn’t use email so short of there being a recording of him colluding, there is little chance of him being implicated.

Get witnesses

Ithil

I don't know how comfortable I am with everyone (everyone) putting their hopes on Manafort (or anyone) flipping. That is certainly not a sure thing. Additionally, whatever crime involved here is likely to be a federal one, which Trump could pardon.

Everyone else has proven to be complete idiots too, not just Manafort.

Afrikan

Trump's team can try to use this as an out, like some are saying.. but if Trump did have something shady to do with this, I'm sure Manafort would rat him out anyway.

So either Trump IS innocent, or he's guilty. Don't see him getting away with anything, if he is indeed guilty.

You get the Capos to turn on the Donald

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I’m unclear how Manafort selling confidential Trump campaign info to Russia for his own personal gain implicates Trump - in fact it seems to support the opposite. Manafort was in debt for 16 million and he was using his in with trump to try to pay off his debt - essentially he was going to peddle his influence over trump to the Russians. Doesn’t scream Trump being complicit

Oppo

sidebar–

is it me, or is “make us whole” a term seemingly used exclusively by gangsters?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I’m super surprised because Manafort seemed like a really straight dude and Trump feels like a good judge of character and a sharp intelligent dude.

gdt

Trump's team can try to use this as an out, like some are saying.. but if Trump did have something shady to do with this, I'm sure Manafort would rat him out anyway.

So either Trump IS innocent, or he's guilty. Don't see him getting away with anything, if he is indeed guilty.
Even if he’s innocent of colluding, he’s potentially guillty of obstructing justice

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Please let them be dumb enough to directly tie Donny. Please god. Please.

I don't ask for much Lord. Please let them be that dumb.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hey look, Manafort is a scumbag, what a complete shock.

I mean, he's been such an upstanding citizen, working with such great people such as Viktor Yanukovych, who totally wasn't corrupt as hell and was removed by a really unfair coup.

That along with lobbying for such lovely democratic rules as Marcos of the Philippines, Sese Seko of the Congo also. And all without registering as a foreign agent.

And now we are shocked, shocked to see that he worked with his mates at the Kremlin during the presidential campaign.

Whoever advised Trump to appoint this guy really, really wanted him facing impeachment. Because nobody sane would have said "Yeah, this guy will be great for you Mr Trump" and actually meant it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Does this provide the administration with an "out". I don't see anything about emails confirming Manafort was acting under directions from Trump or the campaign at large. Can't Trump basically just say "I had no idea he was doing this. Thanks for stopping a man from making money off of my campaign?"

Manafort was literally the campaign manager.

Plus, we have the stuff on Flynn, Kushner, and Trump Jr. Pence was in charge of the transition team and is directly implicated thanks to Flynn.

Every single person in Trump's inner circle was involved.

Top Bottom