• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Paul Manafort secretly worked for Russian billionaire to "benefit Putin gov."

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

You don't seem to understand how this works. Watergate didn't play out in a day.

Someone will testify to stay out of prison for decades, and all the dominos will fall into place

to put it in hard numbers:

January 1972: Watergate tap/burglary plan put into motion
May 1972: First burglary and tap placement
June 1972: second burglary to cover fixing their taps and the one they got caught for
June 1972: coverup begins

May 1973: congress begins investigation
July 1973: discovery of Nixon's tapes, both Congres and Spec Prosc. try to get them, Nixon refuses

October 1973: Nixon fires a bunch of people until he finds one that will fire the special prosecutor. Panic mode.

During this time the tapes are released slowly.

""He is humorless to the point of being inhumane. He is devious. He is vacillating. He is profane. He is willing to be led. He displays dismaying gaps in knowledge. He is suspicious of his staff. His loyalty is minimal." - Chicago Tribune review of the tapes.

July 1974: Supreme Court rules Nixon has no executive priviledge that allows him to block the tapes

"smoking gun" tape released

August 1974: Nixon resigns

Also fun fact, Nixon secretly testified in front of a grand jury. The tapes from that weren't released until 2011.

Agentnibs

At what point do we start accepting the fact that a hostile foreign government has launched and succeeded in attacking our country?
Best case scenario, Trump is a puppet propped up by Putin.
Are we even considered an independent country at that point? In Civ we'd officially be Russian now lol

BigDug13

to put it in hard numbers:

January 1972: Watergate tap/burglary plan put into motion
May 1972: First burglary and tap placement
June 1972: second burglary to cover fixing their taps and the one they got caught for
June 1972: coverup begins

May 1973: congress begins investigation
July 1973: discovery of Nixon's tapes, both Congres and Spec Prosc. try to get them, Nixon refuses

October 1973: Nixon fires a bunch of people until he finds one that will fire the special prosecutor. Panic mode.

During this time the tapes are released slowly.

""He is humorless to the point of being inhumane. He is devious. He is vacillating. He is profane. He is willing to be led. He displays dismaying gaps in knowledge. He is suspicious of his staff. His loyalty is minimal." - Chicago Tribune review of the tapes.

July 1974: Supreme Court rules Nixon has no executive priviledge that allows him to block the tapes

"smoking gun" tape released

August 1974: Nixon resigns

Also fun fact, Nixon secretly testified in front of a grand jury. The tapes from that weren't released until 2011.

I have to think at this point shit would move a lot quicker. So much more electronic surveillance and technology available to investigators. So much more electronic communications and transactions performed by perpetrators.

Futureman

I'm SURE it was just a coincidence that Trump, who could have hired literally anyone else, choose a guy who had shady connections with Russians.

Zolo

I have to think at this point shit would move a lot quicker. So much more electronic surveillance and technology available to investigators. So much more electronic communications and transactions performed by perpetrators.

Plus us simply living in the age where people are able access much more information and tend to want answers more quickly.

Monocle

A clever ploy by the lamestream media to distract the American public from—*ahem*—HER EMAILS.

We really dodged a bullet in the 2016 election you guys.

A lot more people involved in this one.

You're also dealing with espionage/counterintelligence. I think Comey said this investigation hasn't been happening long as far as counterintelligence investigations go.

You're dealing with money laundering/hidden payments from foreign governments. The money trail in this one is way more complex.

RPGCrazied

Him and Stone need to get arrested. I really hope this causes Trump to get removed, but who are we kidding? Republicans won't do shit.

I'm starting to think the worst possible thing that could've ever happened to Russia is Trump winning

Unless they just wanted an incompetent to destabilize the US government and faith in elections. They've pretty much succeeded and won't see any crippling consequences even if Trump and every one of his grunts ends up in cuffs. Rather, the worst thing that could have happened for Trump's crooked, Russian ass-eating administration was his win.

ivajz

Don't forget that his daughters texts show that Manafort would be meeting with Trump on a daily basis. "Plotting ", as she put it.

Steejee

I'm starting to think the worst possible thing that could've ever happened to Russia is Trump winning

My faint silver lining in all this is how badly his winning could backfire on them and how many people it could take down. Trump himself is now exposed to daylight like never before and he's wilting in it fast.

Russia wins regardless of what happens. Look at the damage Trump is already doing to the trust our allies have in our country.
Nah the way this is playing out could seriously backfire On Russia. If Trump has to quit / be removed because Russia ties are exposed, the US will be even more strongly anti Russia.

Russia is also trying to do the same thing to Europe and a new administration would work closely with Europe to squash Putin

ivajz

What what what
That same jezebel article. https://www.google.ca/amp/theslot.j...afort-continued-to-play-a-role-1793469844/amp

Physically, Manafort never really went anywhere: He owns an apartment in Trump Tower. According to the allegedly hacked data, Manafort’s eldest daughter Jessica, 34, texted her sister Andrea on April 7 that “Dad and Trump are literally living in the same building and mom says they go up and down all day long hanging and plotting together.”

At what point do we start accepting the fact that a hostile foreign government has launched and succeeded in attacking our country?
Best case scenario, Trump is a puppet propped up by Putin.
Are we even considered an independent country at that point? In Civ we'd officially be Russian now lol

I've been there since this past summer. When do Republicans get there? When there appears to be electoral consequences for them, I guess. Party first.

Quicker, maybe, but I still wouldn't expect to see anything in a month or six.

Given the significance of it all as a whole the IC cannot just move on speed. It has to be well prepared and lock tight or else they'll never get another chance.

WedgeX

Banned
I've been there since this past summer. When do Republicans get there? When there appears to be electoral consequences for them, I guess. Party first.

Unfortunately. And Republicans seem to be immune to negative news about their president.

7TKnXRH.png

There's a theory, and I agree here, that the whole reason the GOP suddenly supported him in his rise was they realized he could be a distraction to their party plans. As of right now it's been backfiring a bit because people are a lot more aware of whats going on than they likely anticipated. Not to mention there were reports early on about who all the bills and executive orders were causing controversy within the office because of all the hell they were causing.

The theory suggests the GOP will ride him out until 2018 provided nothing else blows up before than.

KingV

Nah the way this is playing out could seriously backfire On Russia. If Trump has to quit / be removed because Russia ties are exposed, the US will be even more strongly anti Russia.

Russia is also trying to do the same thing to Europe and a new administration would work closely with Europe to squash Putin

Definitely. As this continues, it's more and more likely that Congress willl (eventually) codify the current sanctions into law and possibly strengthen them to try to inoculate themselves from trump.

DonShula

I'm well aware that it's going to take time to possibly kick Trump out of office (or at the very least massively defang him until the 2020 election), but it seems like an insanely tall order to me for the DNC to successfully obstruct Gorsuch from being seated long enough to take back the House and elect a new Speaker in the case that Trump (and Pence) gets thrown out.

That said, can you guys imagine what the fallout would be if Gorsuch somehow winds up being involved in all of this too? I find the chances of that to be unlikely personally, but it'd be nuts if it did happen.

If Dems are dead set on obstructing Gorsuch, they should be screaming from the rooftops that confirmation can't proceed while the White House is under investigation. We have zero evidence to this point that our judicial branch has been compromised, but we have all the circumstantial evidence in the world that the White House has, and that legislative might be involved to some light degree as well. If I'm a Dem I'm going on TV and saying repeatedly that we can't chance an appointment by a president whose motives are even remotely suspected treasonous. Gorsuch may truly be a Boy Scout, but Dems need to draw that bright, bold line directly from Russian interference to possible infiltration of the judicial branch.

ZOONAMI

Get him to testify and come clean or extradite him to Ukraine. He'll get his due there.

Yep. He should be arrested, given a chance to come clean, or else we will ship you to Ukraine and keep a constant security apparatus around him so he doesn't get murdered by the Russians.

But the charge is far more serious here and they are more people involved. This would be the single most serious allegation in American history by a pretty massive margin. This would dwarf Watergate or Teapot Dome.

You only get one shot at this. If you come at the king, you best not miss.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There is still nothing that directly links Trump with this. Manafort was a chairman on the campaign, but as far as this is written there doesn't seem to be much there in the way of Trump beyond that relationship.

Can't tell if jokes or oblivious or troll

His campaign manager who lived in Trump tower (and still does)

This man would be ripped to shreds if forced to testify.

I'm talking about a Roman circus-like spectacle.

Well the Senate is on it:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/politics/mark-warner-paul-manafort/

Washington (CNN)Virginia Sen. Mark Warner pledged on Tuesday that he would press President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort for answers.

The Democratic senator and ranking member on the Senate intelligence committee said on CNN's Erin Burnett "OutFront" that allegations about Manafort's dealings in Ukraine and other open questions meant that the committee would speak with him as part of its probe into alleged Russian interference in the presidential campaigns and collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Hehe: http://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...ump-aide-manafort-hires-crisis-communications

Paul Manafort, the former chairman of Donald Trump's presidential campaign, has hired a crisis communications firm.

The move comes as Manafort faces scrutiny over possible ties to Russia centered on his past consulting work for officials in Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych's pro-Russia government.

The fact that Manafort is hiring a PR agency when he most likely has spooks, potentially from both the US AND Russia, following his every move just shows the level of stupidity of these folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom