• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

R-User!

Yeah but if Mel had stayed on with the project and the delays in filming never happened then the ending likely would of been the original one.

Brendan McCarthy who came up with the story originally with Miller and design/storyboarded the film didn't even know the ending had been changed until he saw the movie. lol

Just in Germany for now which got it's released bumped back to October 25th. I'm honestly beginning to think that the legal issues between Miller and WB is what could be affecting a larger release for it? Perhaps licensing issues or a deal with WB in Europe is whats allowing them to release it?

After all Germany got a pretty cool collector's edition for Fury Road that no other stores or outlets saw. :(

I forget, the Germany version of the B&C edition will or won't work in US PS4's?

Max goes up with Furiosa and finally rejoins with people.
This is unbecoming of Mad Max series and I'm glad they scrapped that. All three Mad Max movies end with Max wandering the desert, alone, as a drifter. Fury Road ended the same way and I was very happy.

It's been a bit over a year since release, and I feel Fury Road is one of those once in a blue moon releases that just completely changes the game. Such a perfectly constructed and executed film, and it only gets better upon multiple viewings.
I went in with high expectations because of the series, but was not ready for what Miller delivered. The film awoke something in me, and as cliche as it sounds, it is like a life changing experience. A landmark film.

Time is going to be very, very kind to it.

Simo

I forget, the Germany version of the B&C edition will or won't work in US PS4's?

Someone said the boxset is region free so I guess in theory it should work but I've never imported a blu-ray outside the US so I don't honestly know the answer. You could try hitting up bluray.com and asking on the forums there?

This is unbecoming of Mad Max series and I'm glad they scrapped that. All three Mad Max movies end with Max wandering the desert, alone, as a drifter. Fury Road ended the same way and I was very happy.

Yeah but again Fury Road was meant to be the final film and bring some sort of closure and peace to the character ever since the end of Mad Max 1 because of Mel being in the role originally so everything was written and designed around that.

Fortunately, in some way, because of the long delays and a younger star taking over Miller got energized to the point he and Nico Lathouris wrote a screenplay for another film after Fury Road and a treatment for a third film. Also last I heard was that they were thinking on taking the scrapped Furiosa anime script and turning that into a live action feature.

Unfortunately because of whatever legal limbo WB and Miller are going through, whether or not we get any other Mad Max films from Miller is left in question. :(

obin_gam

I'm mostly surpirsed Hollywood hasn't taken advantage of Fury Road's popularity yet. After it's theater run, I gathered that there would be a tonne of ripoffs. But nothing happened.

I'm mostly surpirsed Hollywood hasn't taken advantage of Fury Road's popularity yet. After it's theater run, I gathered that there would be a tonne of ripoffs. But nothing happened.

No one has been stupid enough to try and rip it off. They know they would just fail to measure up.
However, I hope it lights a fire under a lot of asses in regards to action and editing.

R-User!

Someone said the boxset is region free so I guess in theory it should work but I've never imported a blu-ray outside the US so I don't honestly know the answer. You could try hitting up bluray.com and asking on the forums there?

Yeah but again Fury Road was meant to be the final film and bring some sort of closure and peace to the character ever since the end of Mad Max 1 because of Mel being in the role originally so everything was written and designed around that.

Fortunately, in some way, because of the long delays and a younger star taking over Miller got energized to the point he and Nico Lathouris wrote a screenplay for another film after Fury Road and a treatment for a third film. Also last I heard was that they were thinking on taking the scrapped Furiosa anime script and turning that into a live action feature.

Unfortunately because of whatever legal limbo WB and Miller are going through, whether or not we get any other Mad Max films from Miller is left in question. :(

I forgot, what was that legal crap about? Hadn't it been talked about somewhere?
I think I remember seeing something but not sure where.

Simo

I forgot, what was that legal crap about? Hadn't it been talked about somewhere?
I think I remember seeing something but not sure where.

Just that with the budget being a ridiculous amount and Miller owning the license thus any merchandising would be approved and profit received by Miller. WB weren't happy about that and so the rumor was they were hitting Miller to pony up the change for the rest of the spent budget.

Why does Max decide to return to the drifter lifestyle anyway? What is he searching for out there? I got the impression that this family was dead, so I don't know why he wouldn't stay at the Citadel.

Note: I LIKE that he wandered off, but I'm just wondering what the story justification is.

brau

Why does Max decide to return to the drifter lifestyle anyway? What is he searching for out there? I got the impression that this family was dead, so I don't know why he wouldn't stay at the Citadel.

Note: I LIKE that he wandered off, but I'm just wondering what the story justification is.

I always thought he gave insight about this when he talks to Furiosa about redemption.

Thats all he is looking for. Redemption. She helps Furiosa find hers, but that is not necessarily his. I think i really liked that about the movie. Max is not the center piece for most of the movie. It just tends to be more about Furiosa most of the time and Max is more of a catalyst. Can't wait to see what they do next with Max.

I don't particularly see a deep meaning. Remember, the Toecutter gang runs over his family with their motorbikes and he arrives too late to save them. Maybe it's remorse and guilt eating away which doesn't makes him want to settle down.

Just watched the film again, as I feel the need to watch it every few months.

Each time I watch Mad Max: Fury Road, my appreciation and love for it grows. It is such a tightly and perfectly constructed narrative.

It is a simple story, but that is by design. It is designed to be viewed by someone that knows nothing of the universe it inhabits. It just throws you into the deep end without a vest and expects you to keep up, but if gives you enough things along the way to fill in the gaps of the backstory, but also leaving you wanting to know more. George Miller has said that he designed it to be a silent film, and with the supposed black and chrome version (black and white, no dialogue. Only music and sound effects) coming later this year, I look forward to seeing how well it holds up that way.

There is no extraneous fat to be trimmed from the film, yet nothing truly lacking either. It is a lean, mean, well oiled machine where everything just clicks together perfectly. If anything, it just leaves me hungering to know more about this world. The single shot of the stilt men in the bog does more world building that DC/WB has done across multiple DC films now.
The writing, acting, directing, cinematography, editing, sound, stunts, and music just perfectly gelling together.

Top tier filmmaking across the board, and I feel time will only increase its stature as fewer and fewer films fail to measure up to this incredible machine. I only hope that it lights a fire under many filmmaker's asses that they need to step up their game.

R-User!

Each time I watch Mad Max: Fury Road, my appreciation and love for it grows. It is such a tightly and perfectly constructed narrative.

It is a simple story, but that is by design. It is designed to be viewed by someone that knows nothing of the universe it inhabits. It just throws you into the deep end without a vest and expects you to keep up, but if gives you enough things along the way to fill in the gaps of the backstory, but also leaving you wanting to know more. George Miller has said that he designed it to be a silent film, and with the supposed black and chrome version (black and white, no dialogue. Only music and sound effects) coming later this year, I look forward to seeing how well it holds up that way.

There is no extraneous fat to be trimmed from the film, yet nothing truly lacking either. It is a lean, mean, well oiled machine where everything just clicks together perfectly. If anything, it just leaves me hungering to know more about this world. The single shot of the stilt men in the bog does more world building that DC/WB has done across multiple DC films now.
The writing, acting, directing, cinematography, editing, sound, stunts, and music just perfectly gelling together.

Top tier filmmaking across the board, and I feel time will only increase its stature as fewer and fewer films fail to measure up to this incredible machine. I only hope that it lights a fire under many filmmaker's asses that they need to step up their game.

Dude, you're making me want to go pop it in right now and watch it but I can't cuz reasons!

i said it a bunch of times when i left the theater but i was baffled as to how an action blockbuster in 2015 could stand alongside all the gods of the genre. surpassing some (or arguably all) of them.

it's not supposed to work this way. but it did. many blockbuster filmmakers are just less talented than they were before or the studios/audience have more mediocre expectations from them but i'm glad there are people like Miller around to show everybody how it's done.

Cost me around $37 per person to go watch this at the cinema.

I went to see it 5 times. With the SO.

Worth every penny, I say.

I love this movie like craaaaaazy.

Monocle

Cost me around $37 per person to go watch this at the cinema.

I went to see it 5 times. With the SO.

Worth every penny, I say.

I love this movie like craaaaaazy.
Yep I would watch this every day for a month if it were in theaters again. So damn good. I don't think I could ever get tired of it.

I have no idea why I'm so interested by the world-building in this movie, but I am! I find everything about it fascinating, from the culture of the Citadel, the different visual looks of the various factions, the customs of the people, and everything else. This is probably a really silly question, but what do you guys think would have happened if Immortan Joe had caught the War Rig before the storm? Would he have spared the crew or made an example of everyone, innocent or not?

Just curious to hear others' thoughts based on what we saw of the lore.

I have no idea why I'm so interested by the world-building in this movie, but I am! I find everything about it fascinating, from the culture of the Citadel, the different visual looks of the various factions, the customs of the people, and everything else. This is probably a really silly question, but what do you guys think would have happened if Immortan Joe had caught the War Rig before the storm? Would he have spared the crew or made an example of everyone, innocent or not?

Just curious to hear others' thoughts based on what we saw of the lore.
Immortan Joe would have made a very public example of Furiosa for betraying him. The crew would argue that they had no idea, and then would get turned into blood bags or something.

Simo

So a buddy let me know about this but apparently Mark Sexton, one of the main storyboard artists and conceptual artists on Fury Road, recently did a podcast and confirmed what John Seale had been talking about recently: 2 scripts are done or in the works for Mad Max!

Basically the Furiosa script is done and finished. Back in 2009, or before, they had a script for a Furiosa anime prequel but when Fury Road got delayed all those anime and video game plans Miller wanted to be involved with either got canned or handed off, so I'm not sure if this Furiosa script is the same as the anime one. Sexton did comment the script spans many years and is pretty huge. My guess is it's the abandoned anime script polished up for a live feature due to the character's popularity in Fury Road since Miller said Furiosa didn't factor in another Mad Max movie and Theron had no plans nor wishes to be in another Mad Max film....until it got rave reviews and won multiple academy awards. lol

Sexton also confirmed that a third story and script was in place that focuses solely on Max with a working title of "The Wasteland" and is more a prequel to Fury Road but the script isn't quite finished yet and needs more work. He commented that "The Wasteland" was incredibly bleak though.

So a buddy let me know about this but apparently Mark Sexton, one of the main storyboard artists and conceptual artists on Fury Road, recently did a podcast and confirmed what John Seale had been talking about recently: 2 scripts are done or in the works for Mad Max!

Basically the Furiosa script is done and finished. Back in 2009, or before, they had a script for a Furiosa anime prequel but when Fury Road got delayed all those anime and video game plans Miller wanted to be involved with either got canned or handed off, so I'm not sure if this Furiosa script is the same as the anime one. Sexton did comment the script spans many years and is pretty huge. My guess is it's the abandoned anime script polished up for a live feature due to the character's popularity in Fury Road since Miller said Furiosa didn't factor in another Mad Max movie and Theron had no plans nor wishes to be in another Mad Max film....until it got rave reviews and won multiple academy awards. lol

Sexton also confirmed that a third story and script was in place that focuses solely on Max with a working title of "The Wasteland" and is more a prequel to Fury Road but the script isn't quite finished yet and needs more work. He commented that "The Wasteland" was incredibly bleak though.

Interesting.

The Wasteland as a prequel? I wonder why. Maybe it's a remnant from when Fury Road was intended to end with Max returning to civilization.

HOLY SHIT! If you have Mad Max Fury Road on iTunes, they just added the Black and Chrome edition as an extra feature to it for free.

WITNESS!

I am not sure if it is added to UV or GooglePlay, but so fucking jazzed right now.

Solo

I just rewatched this for the first time since my 2 theatrical viewings a year and a half ago.

A finer action movie has never been made. This is a masterpiece in every regard.

Dany

Banned
The black and chrome version is something special. I didn't realize how much the film harkens back to old cinema styles until seeing it in black and chrome.

Recently I've been thinking how cool it would be to see Fury Road turned into a concert experience. Like, the movie is projected on a giant screen with everything muted except for a couple of dialogue scenes, and every thing is scored live with an orchestra, including War Boys on drums and a real Doof Warrior.

That would be sweet.

Joeku

Recently I've been thinking how cool it would be to see Fury Road turned into a concert experience. Like, the movie is projected on a giant screen with everything muted except for a couple of dialogue scenes, and every thing is scored live with an orchestra, including War Boys on drums and a real Doof Warrior.

That would be sweet.

I do not think I'd be able to handle a live Brothers in Arms.

R-User!

That would be sweet.

Holy fucking shit sign me up!

That would be sweet.
I would pay good money to see this.

Nelo Ice

Banned

That would be sweet.
I never knew I wanted this until now.

HOLY SHIT! If you have Mad Max Fury Road on iTunes, they just added the Black and Chrome edition as an extra feature to it for free.

WITNESS!

I am not sure if it is added to UV or GooglePlay, but so fucking jazzed right now.

Not on Google Play anyway... Shite...

What are the thoughts of the 4 K HDR version?

I just rewatched this for the first time since my 2 theatrical viewings a year and a half ago.

A finer action movie has never been made. This is a masterpiece in every regard.

It gets better on repeat viewings. You realized just how tightly constructed the entire thing is, and also pick up small character moments.

And each viewing (it is once every couple of months for me) also shows more shades to the actual drama and character development of it. It is like peeling back another layer on the film and realizing how deep it goes as a commentary on people trying to survive in a horrible world.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, time is going to be extremely kind to this film. I feel that its stature will only grow as the years go on.

If anyone said in the months leading up to release that Mad Max: Fury Road would be nominated for tons of Oscars, including Best Picture, and take the most statuettes, I would have laughed at them. And rightly so. But here we are. It is like something primal and wonderful was hiding in George Miller for decades, and he had only scratched at it with the previous films. He finally had the money and the expertise to finally achieve what he had always wanted.

And now all other action directors have to step up their game. Please, James Cameron, let this film light a fire under you and you have to prove something. PLEASE.

Top Bottom