• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 is the Fastest Selling Title in 2K History, 4.5M shipped in one week

Zalman

The marketing budget for this game has been insane. I've been to three European countries in the past month and I saw Mafia III ads everywhere.

Vinc

Gameplay is way better than the other two Mafia games though, (repetition aside I mean things like movement, shooting, melee, driving, etc.).

I guess I should have said gameplay structure as that's really what I meant, but I also disagree about the driving and movement, though it's been a loooong time since I played Mafia II. It just felt better in my memory. But the repetitive structure with lots of padding, and the in-game presentation (graphics and bugs) is nowhere near the quality of the story and cutscene quality.

tdwig

Neo Member
Congrats to 2k, but wow what I don't understand, the game was definitely not received well.

I guess no review copy did the trick.

Expecting more publishers to follow.
I don't like this trend at all.

Edit: Sold-in makes more sense, curious how many were actually sold to consumers.

dcx4610

But how much did it cost to advertise? I see the commercial airing multiple times during the World Series.

I don't follow the Mafia series at all and I know about Mafia 3 just because of the ads and commercials.

It pays to advertise.

peakish

That's insane. Steamspy is pegging it at 350k for the PC version and I didn't expect such a discrepancy.

I have a ton of issues with the game but the things it does well (everything around the writing: cutscene direction, voice acting and dialog are all excellent throughout the game) are better than most other stuff I've seen in gaming. Hopefully they'll take the right lessons moving forward, which is hopefully going to happen with these sales.

jonno394

Just incase people don't actually click the link

The game sold-in 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said. (Sold-in is the industry term for the amount of units sold to retailers.)

Gator86

Is there anyone here who expected this? Shit, that I'd a ridiculous launch. I like that they had to guts to do something fresh with the game. I just got my gamefly copy yesterday and look forward to starting it.

Coreda

Just fwiw the quote in the OP changed 'sold-in' to 'sold'. Original line with parenthesis from the WP:

WP said:
The game sold-in 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said. (Sold-in is the industry term for the amount of units sold to retailers.)

Lime

FUCK YES! Now games industry diet racists won't be like "non-white characters don't sell"

I hope 2K allow Hangar 13 some time and budget to fix the current technical mess the game is in. It definitely needed 6 months more of dev time.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I guess I should have said gameplay structure as that's really what I meant, but I also disagree about the driving and movement, though it's been a loooong time since I played Mafia II. It just felt better in my memory. But the repetitive structure with lots of padding, and the in-game presentation (graphics and bugs) is nowhere near the quality of the story and cutscene quality.
I would definitely go back and play Mafia II, doesn't hold a candle on Mafia 3's core gameplay mechanics. You have a point with the bugs, they need to work on that engine ASAP if they even wanna think about making a sequel.

Mr. Tibbs

That's insane. Steamspy is pegging it at 350k for the PC version and I didn't expect such a discrepancy.

The PC launch was botched: 30fps, poor performance, lighting issues, and bugs. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of refunds.

Zedark

They edited the article. The quotation in OP now says "sold-in" instead of "sold". This number is shipped to retailers, not sold to consumers.

Edit: beaten by Coreda.

Edit 2: The fact that it is shipped might line up with it being sold at very low prices already: the game may have overshipped and retailers are now trying to emptytheir over-stocked magazines.

pip77

Always bet on Black.

5a7d9c49cc4cbbb1b52262d385404609.jpg

LOL

Briarios

I liked what I could play of it, except it keep crashing on my PS4, so I traded it :/ Maybe I'll try again when we get a GOTY edition or something

Sounds like that disgruntled 2K employee was way off the mark (they said sub 1m sales to date and it needed like 8m to break even IIRC). Congrats to the devs and all but this is just going to reinforce the notion that no early review copies are good for business and that's not great for us in the long run.

He cited Chartz as the source for the numbers so we already knew they weren't correct.

Jay Sosa

Well, I can only repeat what I said in the Skyrim thread. People are so starved for games they'll buy pretty much anything right now.

Besides Titanfall 2 that is...

K.Sabot

So it didn't actually sell 4.5 million.

Congratulations to 2k successfully overhyping retailers into taking a bunch of shipments of their god awful videogame.

Mr. Tibbs

Just fwiw the quote in the OP changed 'sold-in' to 'sold'. Original line with parenthesis from the WP:

Mate, I just copied and pasted the quote directly from WP's page. I didn't edit it beyond adding quote marks.

Thank God I didn't refresh:
OFNqNOQ.png

oti

Banned
Sold-in makes way more sense but still, how? What did retailers expect this to be? So this is why its price dropped from 60€ to 30€ in the very first week?

psychotron

I'm playing it now and I love it. It has some warts, but overall it's been fantastic. I think it just needs to be played in sessions rather than one long grind. The characters and soundtrack are top notch.

Lime

Oh shit that's unexpected, could've sworn there was a dev that said pretty much the opposite, (less than a million as of a couple weeks ago).

That was a bullshit article by an "anonymous Irrational employee", which used numbers from vgchartzzz and made claims that other Irrational people have debunked.

Good news for the franchise if true, I would definitely be down for another helping of the black mafia life, (maybe don't kill a shit ton of the cast at the beginning this time?)

Female Mexican/Cuban Mafia 4 would be so cool

sanstesy

If they really shipped 4,5 million copies, no wonder I see this thing in the bomba bin in very game store I go to here in Germany. What were they thinking?

Top Bottom