• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

NeoRaider

Some XB1 snaps. Grabbed them from XboxDVR.com

My copy didn't arrive which is a pain, gonna cancel and head to the shops instead.

It looks so bad. I guess it really is 720p?
Textures, AA, so blurry... overall IQ is just bad.

Even Watch Dogs Definitive, few years old game looks better.

Karak

Wow, 22 crashes is... a lot.

Yeah, even from videos the game already screamed unpolished. Definitely rushed.

I ended up buying anyway because the story appears to deliver and I have that itch for a game with a good story.

I put many of them in the footage of the rewiew. Again been playing for a LOT of hours of time but the xbox version LOVES to pop back to the OS and lose your most recent save. But I jumped into the PC version and the number just skyrocketed. It crashed just getting into the armored car. 3 times. That doesn't mean it will for everyone but the reports I am seeing on my twitter and channel...are disturbing as fuck

Tohsaka

I put many of them in the footage of the rewiew. Again been playing for a LOT of hours of time but the xbox version LOVES to pop back to the OS and lose your most recent save. But I jumped into the PC version and the number just skyrocketed. It crashed just getting into the armored car. 3 times. That doesn't mean it will for everyone but the reports I am seeing on my twitter and channel...are disturbing as fuck

So does PS4 crash the least then? I ended up dropping NMS on PS4 because of how frequently it crashed and didn't keep track of my last autosave.

you get a trophy for
dropping a body into the swamp
was a great surprise.

Its a little rough round the edges for me but I am loving it so far, granted im not that far in though.

Anyone else found
the cut at the end of the bank heist was super rough to the next bit I thought your partner had died....

Karak

you get a trophy for
dropping a body into the swamp
was a great surprise.

Its a little rough round the edges for me but I am loving it so far, granted im not that far in though.

Anyone else found
the cut at the end of the bank heist was super rough to the next bit I thought your partner had died....

Hahaha. Glad I wasn't the only one surprised by that

I was thinking to myself
oh how harsh getting knocked out to drown slowly and then bam nope straight up murdered by the croc
or where you thinking of other things.

How does Mafia 3 compare to Watch Dogs in terms of story, combat, mission structure and driving? I liked Watch Dogs, so if this game is at least as good as that, I'm going to like this.

As someone who didn't think W_D was great, but enjoyed the mechanics enough to finish a lot of the game:

- Mafia 3's story and driving are much better (simulation driving anyway, I haven't tested the more arcade setting).
- Watch_Dogs' combat is a little more fluid because Ubisoft's animations can be top notch, but Mafia 3 is way more swift and brutal. You feel like a powerhouse, and weapons have good weight and recoil.
- Mission structure is equally uninspired featuring the tried and true district takeover setup/collectathon we all know and love, but it ties back into managing your underboss relationships/rewards as a twist on the concept. Main missions are more intense and atmospheric.

Mafia feels more focused and immediate, and the narrative is on a different level completely. Certainly has its fair share of bugs that need fixing, but I'd still say it's a better game than W_D at this point.

Jackpot

Banned
Will definitely be holding off until the first patch. Sounds like there are quite a few hotfixes that need putting in.

As someone who didn't think W_D was great, but enjoyed the mechanics enough to finish a lot of the game:

- Mafia 3's story and driving are much better (simulation driving anyway, I haven't tested the more arcade setting).
- Watch_Dogs' combat is a little more fluid because Ubisoft's animations can be top notch, but Mafia 3 is way more swift and brutal. You feel like a powerhouse, and weapons have good weight and recoil.
- Mission structure is equally uninspired featuring the tried and true district takeover setup/collectathon we all know and love, but it ties back into managing your underboss relationships/rewards as a twist on the concept. Main missions are more intense and atmospheric.

Mafia feels more focused and immediate, and the narrative is on a different level completely. Certainly has its fair share of bugs that need fixing, but I'd still say it's a better game than W_D at this point.

Thank you so much for answering my question. I can't wait to pick this up!

Rellik

I was thinking to myself
oh how harsh getting knocked out to drown slowly and then bam nope straight up murdered by the croc
or where you thinking of other things.

I was only dropping them in there to hide the bodies and the achievement popped lol

Matty8787

I got this physical on PC and it is 6!! discs...

Any benefit to installing by disc other than bandwidth as I have to go out and thus just installing via the key/steam is better for me.

No hidden goodies via disc install?

w0s

Go to the options tab and press right on the d-pad to access the other sections. The sleek pause menu interface makes it a little hard to notice.
Okay I will try that. I was just hitting RB. Seemed like I was mostly seeing key bindings. Thanks.

47 minutes in, the game shuts itself down right after the gumbo section. I was enjoying it up to then. I'd be interested to know if the developers were influenced by James Ellroy. I can see this sharing a lot of themes with the Underworld USA trilogy.

Just watched the Giant Bomb quick look, and it looks like a must-buy to me, if only for the story and the way it's presented. (gameplay looks open-world fine)

Xasthure

Neo Member
I've been playing the game now for around 2 hours, and I've gotta say I'm really enjoying it!
I'm playing on PS4 and the performance is for the most part good. But, what's up with shadows and lightning in this game? Like, shadows and parts of lightning are flashing here and there. And the light and weather effects are sort of messed up, right? Has got to be some kind of bug?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Glad I decided to wait. Pubs gotta stop releasing unfinished games.

So my quick overview on my PC version.

I've got a 6700K and two 970's in SLI and 16GB RAM and a G SYNC 144HZ 1440p monitor. I'm using a controller.
Most settings at high except shadows at medium and AA on low. V Sync off. Resolution at 1440p.
SLI's not working - only running on one card, but I'm getting 30 FPS most of the time anyway.
Game feels pretty smooth to play for me, but I am mostly a console and controller gamer so that's helping I think.

Having a pretty weird experience with the bugs and crashes and other issues. When I played last night I had a hard crash to desktop - combat and stealth felt weird and plenty of glitches when meleeing and moving around the world.
Today, I've played for a couple of hours - no crashes - no glitching and combat and stealth and melee seem pretty spot on, great even. Funny game.

I think the combination of 1440p and low AA setting is keeping the blur toned down. Though the chromatic aberration is really noticeable.
I really think that the developers have tried using the blur and CA and colouration to give the game that 'sixties movie and tv footage look'. I'm not going to say they have succeeded, but I'm watching old footage and I can see some connections there - well at least I can.

As for the game - so far the characters, the story, the setting and music are just absolutely stellar. Way above normal video game standards. This is good movie / great TV show territory here. The Howsers must be spinning in their money pit. Shits all over GTA here. Someone is going to do one of those Youtube edits that make this play out like a film and it's going to be incredible.
I've not had long in the 'open world', but it does seem much more average here. Driving has a nice feel now I've set it to Sim.

I think the highs of this game are going to help me get through the more average sections as I have a very high desire to help Lincoln achieve his aims and see this story play out.

Game needs some patches and fast, plus a fair bit of tightening up. It must have come in real hot and they never quite made it. Scared the crap out them and tried to hide it and didn't let any early reviews.

Shame - the good parts of this game are really really good.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Any more words on PS4 performance?

If it's really bad I may skip for now and go the Gears route.

psychotron

I wonder if they will add a ps pro patch. Just curious if that had any bearing on it being rushed out before it was needed to include the patch

They confirmed a pro patch is coming. Even if it just tightens up performance, it'll be worth it to get the PS4 version for now.

madmackem

Only a few hours in but not seen many dips tbh, feels solid enough and can at times look very nice, had one crash so far. The soundtrack is on point man and the story feels Rambo mixed with the sopranos loving it so far.

Akoi

So the consensus is the ps4 version is the best version correct?

I am going to wait till this weekend and see what they do with the PC version with that patch they speak of before I make my move.

Coffinhal

So the consensus is the ps4 version is the best version correct?

I am going to wait till this weekend and see what they do with the PC version with that patch they speak of before I make my move.

"best" ?

PC even not optimized and with fps cap seems to be the "best" if you have a better gear than a PS4

JoeNut

So being a gang type game is there some sort of "Make your own mob" type thing where you control areas with your gang and take over other gangs areas ala GTA san andreas?

Godan

Really want to play this but going to wait for the patch first for PC. Hope its comes out later today as some point. All i want it away from the 30 fps and thats it.

Jharp

Still really need help here guys

My reload and use keys still aren't working upon multiple resets and new game starts. Doesn't work with controller or keyboard. On keyboard, it shows the use key on the door but nothing happens when I press it, on controller, the use bar fills up but then nothing happens.

Don't know how to make a gif or a webm, or I'd upload a quick video to show you guys.

Anyone else get the same issue? Halp?!

EDIT: Resetting controls to default got everything working, but this doesn't solve the problem of essentially not being able to rebind my keys, and also doesn't explain why it was affecting the controller.

I'm genuinely bemused by the reaction to the visuals. I'm playing on Xbox, and I think it looks good. Not incredible, but on par with something like Ass Creed Syndicate, maybe. Some of the textures are a bit ropey, but it's open world. Aside from GTA, there are always some ropey textures. It's pretty smooth, pretty stable in terms of frame rate. And the weight of Lincoln is excellent. Combat is fun, driving is fun. I'm not in the repetitive grind bit of the game yet, and so far, I think it's really good. The writing is excellent. I love the storytelling mechanics, the documentary thing. Feels really neat.

Plus, one of the melee finishers is basically a Rock Bottom. That's a good thing.

adversarial

Game looks awesome on my PC, played a few hours last night. They did a really good job with the facial animations and lip synch.

Stoked to play when I get off work.

KORNdoggy

Got to admit with all its problems...ya I can't say it looks great thats for sure

It is indeed a wait for a sale.
The story is amazing, combat is great, but this should have never EVER have been released in its current form. I almost rated it a Deep Deep sale or Rent.

Also the PC downgrade is insane. INSANE. I did a trailer analysis of supposed game footage awhile ago and then played that at the starting of this week. It was hugely downgraded

Total crashes across PS4,Xbox One, and PC?....22.
22 fucking crashes. There is no good god damned way this could have passed cert. Admittedly I bet I have more hours in the game than anyone else lol. I am still up since...like monday or tuesday of solid testing and playing hahaha

what's the breakdown for crashes? is one more stable than the others?

Anyone else get the same issue? Halp?!

EDIT: Resetting controls to default got everything working, but this doesn't solve the problem of essentially not being able to rebind my keys, and also doesn't explain why it was affecting the controller.

A quick google of "mafia 3 key remapping" shows a couple of threads with remapping issues so i'd say yes there seems to be a problem for some people. Hope fully the patch will fix it for you.

Nyx

I'm almost 5 hours in and had no crashes, it runs just fine.

Also really loving it so far, they really nailed the story, setting and presentation. Exactly why I bought it in the first place.

Oynox

Is there any benefit to let the enforcers live until you get the boss? I read something about that they generate extra money?

And once I bought a weapon, can I access it for free whenever I wish?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is there any benefit to let the enforcers live until you get the boss? I read something about that they generate extra money?

And once I bought a weapon, can I access it for free whenever I wish?

Yeah I am wondering that as well. I've recruited the two I've had the chance to so far, but wonder if there is any downside to taking them on later. Would seem like a no brainer to always take them on as you'll make more money, save for just wanting to take out shitty people just because.

As for weapons. Yeah once you buy them they're yours forever.

Top Bottom