• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Mr.Fresh

The game was at ready to start state on the dashboard, and I booted it up expecting something to watch or play while it finishes. It turned out to be just a black installation screen though.

30FPS aside, I'm really liking this game, it has some of, if not the best acted characters in a game, all comes off very natural. The visuals are nice, a little rough in spots for sure but overall I think it has a nice look and style. Look forward to playing some more later today! Also the music is incredible, pretty much every iconic 1960's song is on the soundtrack, adds a lot to the game in terms of establishing the world, which so far it has done a fantastic job at. The animations for Lincoln when in combat are also really good, like strafing after going out of ADS he does this sort of side step that looks really natural and cool, it's a small thing but as I've said a few times it adds to the overall experience.

The soundtrack is mostly very good but man I have to laugh every time the dad blues starts blaring every time you start fighting.

Skunkers

Probably X

It's square on PS4

Yeah holding it did it. Regardless, I went on to find they totally fucked up the controller support on PC regardless. Almost all of the tool tips don't display the buttons they are supposed to, they're just blank: "Press To Do X" AND they can't seem to be dismissed without the keyboard. Ditto the map screen only works with the mouse as well. In addition to the lame FPS cap this just adds to the shitshow that is this PC port. Bought the Steam key from a vendor too so I think I'm fucked on the refund front. Unbelievable that they shipped this shit in this state.

Yeah holding it did it. Regardless, I went on to find they totally fucked up the controller support on PC regardless. Almost all of the tool tips don't display the buttons they are supposed to, they're just blank: "Press To Do X" AND they can't seem to be dismissed without the keyboard. Ditto the map screen only works with the mouse as well. In addition to the lame FPS cap this just adds to the shitshow that is this PC port. Bought the Steam key from a vendor too so I think I'm fucked on the refund front. Unbelievable that they shipped this shit in this state.

Very strange... I just played about 20 minutes with the 360 controller and didn't have any of those issues. All of the prompts showed up and I was able to use the map without any problems.

I did just have a hard crash though (as seen in my post above). I get the feeling this game is going to be buggy as all hell in addition to being a shit-tastic port.

MoonGred

Now I can't believe I'm asking this question, but is the game supposed to start you off with no back story or any mission indicators in the middle of nowhere?

I selected new game, and I spawn on this mud island with nothing on it except for a shack. There is a little tooltip on what button to hit to bring up the map, once I do this the map is empty. Ran around for a while and got in a car only to hit an invisible wall.

Surely this isn't the start of the game right?

Edit: I'm really confused about this so I made a gif - bear with me it's the first time doing so and just noticed that it has a massive watermark all over it https://gfycat.com/TenderFarawayAmericanrobin
This was made 1 min after starting a new game

Karak

Well thats not good, game just crashed on PS4

I have been counting crashes for my review across all 3 versions...its fucking astronomical. Also my inbox is filled with peeps playing who are getting constant crashes on all version to. That to me is worse than anything

Now I can't believe I'm asking this question, but is the game supposed to start you off with no back story or any mission indicators in the middle of nowhere?

I selected new game, and I spawn on this mud island with nothing on it except for a shack. There is a little tooltip on what button to hit to bring up the map, once I do this the map is empty. Ran around for a while and got in a car only to hit an invisible wall.

Sounds like yet another major bug.

I also had a weird bug with the opening mission where you rob the Federal Reserve. When we parked the truck and entered the building, the police officer wouldn't shut the door behind me. Both he and my partner just stood there beside it like they were still waiting for me to come through. When I tried to walk back outside to see if it'd "fix" it, I hit an invisible wall. I ended up having to reload the checkpoint just to proceed. Lovely...

idonteven

Edit: I'm really confused about this so I made a gif - bear with me it's the first time doing so and just noticed that it has a massive watermark all over it https://gfycat.com/TenderFarawayAmericanrobin

that doesnt seem right

Jharp

Not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong but my use key and reload keys appear to not be working. I literally can't open the door to get the keys in the very first segment of gameplay. Tried with both keyboard and 360 controller and neither work. Can't reload gun mid-clip either.

Is this a bug? Am I a giant idiot? What the hell?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Holy shit this game takes forever to install. I clicked on the game at 12 am and here it is almost 3 AM and it's only at 26%. On PS4.

Kuldar

I have like 8 more hours to go, lol. Good thing I'm going to bed soon.
They realy copied GTAV whit this installation time.

Played an hour on PC and the game crashed like many other after the
Kitchen
cimenatic.

There is something weird with graphics settings.On the launcher I set everything to high and in game the graphics settings weren't all at high.

Except the crash and weird graphics settings, for the moment I find it great. This way of telling the story is great for an introduction.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any way to make the game not look so blurry? I tried turning off DoF and motion blur and its still just rough. I guess it's supposed to be an artistic choice but it's a little much

Corpekata

Banned
Any way to make the game not look so blurry? I tried turning off DoF and motion blur and its still just rough. I guess it's supposed to be an artistic choice but it's a little much

Downsampling helps quite a bit with it. If that's not enough someone posted a Reshade in the PC performance thread you may want to try.

Karak

that is a major...MAJOR bug. Jezuz.

Yeahhhhhhhh. That's not supposed to happen.

MoonGred

Restarted my pc and the game a couple of times and I seem to have the real beginning now.

Shame that the game is so blurry

golem

Took a look at Giant Bombs video, this game looks pretty interesting. Hope they fix up the PC version soon

NJD316

Neo Member
Think I'll be picking this up tomorrow. Might stick it on hard mode as it kinda looks like it might be a bit of a breeze otherwise.

That soundtrack is insane. The original song from Ice Cube and DJ Shadow in the trailer also...so good.

I crashed only once (ps4) in 3 hours of play.

The game is clunky but the narration and story is better than GTA V that for sure. The gunfight also is better. It's a shame is far to be as polished as GTA V. The world feel also a little empty for now: i didn't see store or any reason to explore. The city is well made and everything feel real, the political painting and so on.

The game is good, i think it'll be a 7 but it could have been a 9 with more development time. It's only very early impressions.

Politically, i don't think that any game when that far as representing racism and discrimination against blacks americans. It's hard to not feel the hate and it's certainly feel like a nightmare.
It's sad that it will probably been understood as "Oh that was hard at that time."

I was having fun till I got to a certain boat mission....vehicle damage is way too fucking high. There is no reason why its taking me 20+ tries to get past that shit.

Played a few hours last night on PS4. No crashes yet.
The storytelling bits and the overall atmosphere are very well done.
The only annoyance so far are the pop-ins, they are very distracting for me. Sometimes a puddle of water on the road or a shop sign just appears out of nowhere while very close by.

Skunkers

Very strange... I just played about 20 minutes with the 360 controller and didn't have any of those issues. All of the prompts showed up and I was able to use the map without any problems.

I did just have a hard crash though (as seen in my post above). I get the feeling this game is going to be buggy as all hell in addition to being a shit-tastic port.

Well, shit. Guess I'll try it again tomorrow and see if unplugging/replugging the controller in makes any difference.

SZips

I like what they're doing with a lot of the story and presentation. I like the characters So far that's the highlight of the game. The gunplay feels decent enough in most cases. The soundtrack is phenomenal. The rest? Eh, er... it's kind of bad.

The AI is terrible. One of the early missions has you
rescuing some ladies from a prostitution house
. I stab someone, a couple of people kind of react and run off while the others that were also near me didn't even bat an eyelash. A lot of it just feels so lifeless when compared to other open world games.

I've seen NPCs stopping in the middle of the road while trying to cross on foot with no traffic moving. I've seen a civilian woman NPC walking on top of a car. I've seen at least one enemy NPC get stuck between an open door and a wall.

The police don't seem to give a damn when you run a traffic light or stop sign, or speed despite the game saying that they'll keep n eye out for that sort of thing!

I'd also love to know why the only way to manually choose when to be lethal vs. non-lethal is by going into your options to change that! Why isn't there a way to simply tap a button for non-lethal takedowns or hold for lethal?

Transitions between some animations seem almost non-existent and end up looking very jerky as a result. There are also some general clipping issues, most easily seen during melee moves. IE: Enemies will clip into world geometry or Lincoln will sometimes grab the air around an enemy during a stealth takedown instead of the actual enemy model itself.

And then there's the crazy fast lighting changes as the clouds (I assume?) roll in front of the Sun.

It's a lot of stuff like that which ends up bugging me over time as they keep happening. There are also some minor "quality of life" things that I don't really understand either. Example of one: Why can you only move forward through the radio stations? Why not just make it a wheel or at least include a forward and backward option for changing stations.

I've flipped so much on whether or not I like the game tonight in just a few hours of playing. Any time I start to get into it, something else pops up that gives me pause.

Oh, and the game didn't really like it when I changed the mirror quality in the video options while I was standing in front of a mirror. It crashed my game immediately.

besada

Banned
My reactions to the chunk I played are mixed. I played through the
attack on the kitchen
, and through the next cut scene, at which point the game crashed back to the desktop.

I'm really enjoying the people and the voice acting, as well as the look of the city. The lens is smeared with vaseline for an artistic choice, I guess? Maybe a lot less of that would be good.

Loving the music, and while the story so far is pretty on the nose, it's at least written well.

alouette

Game is awesome so far. Just talked to
Cassandra
, so I´m just about 1h in.
But I´m getting some weird noises from my Xbox when playing the game. It sounds like the HDD is working all the time, but on a higher tone level like a grasshopper. My box never did that before. The game is installed on an external drive, btw.
Anyone else hearing that? No other game, even when playing for hours, is making that noises with my box...

HiiiLife

This frame rate is terrible on Xbox. Freezes every time I shoot. Constant dips. Yikes. Might just shut this off and try again tomorrow.

I *really* like the way the guns feel in this game. I've only played the first 90 minutes or so, so the open world hasn't really opened up, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Does the speed of your driving matter like in the previous games? I've sped past cops, but the way that their reticle stuff works is confusing. If speed stuff matters, is there a limiter like in 2?

Top Bottom