• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

dreamfall

NEW UPDATE

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-a-message-to-our-pc-players/?__prclt=VIsSzyC6

UPDATE [10/6 / 6PM PT]: We currently have a patch running here at the studio that includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options in the video menu, among other improvements for the PC version of Mafia III. We’re verifying the patch now to ensure everything is working as expected. If everything goes well, we expect the update to go live this weekend. We will be keeping the PC community up-to-date on the status of the patch throughout the weekend and thank you for all the feedback!

This is the best news - let's hope this patch rolls out quickly and addresses the framerate cap first and foremost!

This game might have my favorite combat mechanics in this subgenre of open world games. Lincoln is a beast, and the recoil on pistols makes double taps feel amazing.

5kJJ6TU.gif

dreamfall

This game might have my favorite combat in this subgenre of open world games. Lincoln is a beast, and the recoil on pistols makes double taps feel amazing.

The guns look really look heavy and have a lot of impact - can't wait to finally sink my teeth in the game tonight. What a long wait!

Cornbread78

This game might have my favorite combat in this subgenre of open world games. Lincoln is a beast, and the recoil on pistols makes double taps feel amazing.

5kJJ6TU.gif

Damn, that's a pretty gif!

I thoight it was reported that the animations wete shaky? Those look pretty good and I love the follow through, lol

How about the gameplay and visuals? What platform? Thanks.

Gameplay is solid, especially the shooting, there's a good amount of punch to the various weapons and the enemies have some good feedback to being shot. I'm on pc, settings at high and I'd say the visuals are fine, it's far from the best looking game I've played this gen but I'm not finding myself thinking it looks terrible or anything.

This game is really good looking besides the chromatic aberration. No spoilers, the objectives in the corner are the most minor things ever like "Go see X" or "Visit X" so I haven't edited anything.

From what I've seen so far, the lighting is entirely volumetric, and the game definitely uses SSR for cars and puddles. Everything looks amazing, I just wish it ran a bit better at 4K. Maybe the patch this weekend will fix that.

EDIT: And we need HUD options. I can't find any at least, dunno if they already exist.

dreamfall

Alright well, the last couple hours before it unlocks.

Hopping into Mafia 2 one last time to mentally prepare, and bring the spirit and just prepared to stay up for hours getting lost in New Bordeux.

It's been a long time coming. We made it!

Is it possible to use other AA method over the game's one?

Doesn't seem like it. They're using the worst kind of AA possible (TXAA or whatever it's called) and you can't even disable it, let alone use another kind. Unfortunately you'll have to put up with the awful blurriness and ghosting unless they patch in another option, but for now turning it to Low and running at 4K gets rid of it a bit.

rSpooky

Does anyone know if bestbuy midnight releases are just a game pickup or more of an event with special activities etc? I have not gone to a midnight release since gears one I think.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
http://thisgengaming.com/2016/10/06/mafia-3-review-ps4-a-boring-repetitive-experience/

Reviewer seems to not like that it has side missions.

Unfortunately a lack of mission variety isn’t the only issues Mafia III suffers from as I can confirm there are quite a few bugs and other issues I noticed that I wanted to mention. The game right from the start had noticeable texture issues with cars and even pedestrians just appearing from out of nowhere. The game also crashed a few times. Other non technical issues I found in the game include shockingly bad enemy variety with at one point three of the same model enemies were attacking. Another noticeable issue is that car damage in Mafia III is just terrible. I tested car damage by ramming my car into the side of another car, and for some reason the side was left undamaged but the front of the car was all banged up.

Tovarisc

I thoight it was reported that the animations wete shaky? Those look pretty good and I love the follow through, lol

There is random animation glitches like during execution animation Lincoln pulls enemy through e.g. corner of wall, but you don't run into those that often. Basically your normal open world game jank at times. Overall animations have a lot weight to them and executions are brutal.

Bowie knife shoved from underneath of mobsters jaw all the way into brain or literally cutting mobster like a fish etc.

That gif makes it hurt a bit more that the PC version is apparently garbage

It really isn't. Only big issue is 30FPS lock that devs aim to address this weekend with patch. Other than that game runs really well and even looks quite nice most of the time.

Considering the amount of grammar errors in that story, I definitely wouldn't take that as a serious review haha

So what is it then?

In terms of the repetitive side of the gameplay his review echos what a few people have already mentioned not much variety of main missions and being forced to carry out side quests to progress the story.

I don't blame the reviewer for not liking that it's the main reason I haven't purchased it as yet.

So what is it then?

In terms of the repetitive side of the gameplay his review echos what a few people have already mentioned not much variety of main missions and being forced to carry out side quests to progress the story.

I don't blame the reviewer for not liking that it's the main reason I haven't purchased it as yet.

The guy who said that on Reddit retracted, he said later that side mission get variety after you unlock some things in the game.

dcassell

Banned
So what is it then?

Sorry man, I'm being really snobby in that initial assessment. That's my fault. This is a valid opinion, but considering he's discussing his issues in a really surface-level style, I just don't think I can read it as a definitive "review" so to speak, considering that reviewers just got copies of it today.

The comments on its repetitive nature do worry me though.

It's been a while since I've had to play a game at 30fps and man does it make the game feel unresponsive and look sluggish. Between that, the blurriness, uncanny valley, and flickering textures this game doesn't look good. And it just crashed on me. What a bad first impression.

pc version btw

dreamfall

It's been a while since I've had to play a game at 30fps and man does it make the game feel unresponsive and look sluggish. Between that, the blurriness, uncanny valley, and flickering textures this game doesn't look good. And it just crashed on me. What a bad first impression.

pc version btw

Damn. It'll unlock in less than 30 minutes and I'm super hyped but that PC performance is atrocious. Here's hoping the patch comes out this weekend and addresses a ton of the problems, starting with the framerate.

I'm ready though, god damn. I've been ready for years.

Took me like 30 mins to install on PS4, can only imagine how long it would of taken my Xbox to install the game.

I found a bug on the first mission.
When you are in the bank vault and have to kill the first wave or guards after the alarm went off, i dont know if i killed them too fast but it there was a guard talking but he didnt exist or was dead, so it wouldnt progress to the part where you lockpick. had to restart the checkpoint.

Ugh I can already tell Youtube is going to be a shitshow spoiler-wise

Home page already has playthrough videos popping up with screenshots and story details in the name. Stoked to see "MAFIA 3 ENDING _________" with a picture sometime this weekend while I'm watching something else

dreamfall

Ugh I can already tell Youtube is going to be a shitshow spoiler-wise

Home page already has playthrough videos popping up with screenshots and story details in the name. Stoked to see "MAFIA 3 ENDING _________" with a picture sometime this weekend while I'm watching something else

Gotta vanish! No videos, hell I'll probably drop by this thread every now and then until I get through my first playthrough! Gotta tune it all out!

Gotta vanish! No videos, hell I'll probably drop by this thread every now and then until I get through my first playthrough! Gotta tune it all out!
It's always just frustrating to me that people can't just be vague. Full Playthrough Part 13 with the game's art

Gotta get those clicks!

I'm definitely on blackout for Mafia footage but it's gonna just be popping up as recommended it'll be an issue. Guess I have to flag em all as uninterested and hope for the best haha

Cops don't seem to care whether you follow traffic laws or not. Playing on PC on Medium difficulty and Simulation driving and I'll blow through stop lights or speeding super fast with a cop right there and nothing. What's up with that? Has the cops making you follow the law been taken out?

Mr. Tibbs

Cops don't seem to care whether you follow traffic laws or not. Playing on PC on Medium difficulty and Simulation driving and I'll blow through stop lights or speeding super fast with a cop right there and nothing. What's up with that? Has the cops making you follow the law been taken out?

The official Mafia Twitter account brought up the speed limiter. It would be cool if they patched it in along with the traffic laws, at least as an optional toggle.

Would you like to see a speed limiter return?

I thought they got rid of all that driving stuff like tickets and buying gas.

Top Bottom