• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

rdytoroll

Steam reviews went from Mostly Negative to Mixed real fast. Most of the positive reviews are in Chinese (I think?) from accounts with only Mafia 3 as a game and nothing else. Reaaaallly weird

anddo0

Cheapest place to buy the pc version online? (Us)

Kinda mad I missed out on the sub $50 prices. But I had to be sure.

Seems like we're stuck with full price for now.

To be fair, it's really unusual to not have any good US sales on GMG this close to release. the VIP3 code was supposed to last until the 10th according to Dealzon, but everything relating to the US PC version just suddenly vanished.

Wonder if this is related to the G2A preorder incident.

Tohsaka

I couldn't find any US keys for cheap on CDkeys or anything, they were all EU only. I ended up going with the PS4 version instead since I got it for $48 with Prime.

Shady859

Any word on campaign length?

I was hyped for this but scared off by the embargo, wish I'd kept my pre-order now after everything I've watched and read. :/ I completely forgot this released on a weird day and Gamefly shipped my copy today so buying it now just feels wrong. I'll probably try to hit Redbox for a long sat/sunday rental.

My copy "shipped" from Best Buy yesterday afternoon but hasn't been picked up for delivery all day.

It'll probably wind up like my copy of Monster Hunter Generations and never make it :(

Game sounds good, though. I was kinda expecting the clunkiness, but if the story is as good as it looks to be, I'll be able to look over it.

I have 5-ish hours in the game and story stuff is excellent so far. Not done a lot open world stuff outside of tutorial that basically is that 5-ish hours :D

Locked 30 on PC.

Naturally depended on rig.

A five hour tutorial? Huh-what?

I LOVED Mafia II, so this has been one of my most wanted games for years.

Akoi

Probably going to grab this on Ps4 since the pc port seems like an afterthought.

I wonder what reviews are going to look like, I liked what I saw on twitch earlier today.

Tovarisc

A five hour tutorial? Huh-what?

It isn't hand holding tutorial. It explains and teaches you game mechanics as delivers some insanely good story and character background. It's clearly you ABC's of the Mafia 3, but doesn't feel like preachy tutorial.

I would gladly pay someone someday for a PC copy today. :(

Damn this looks so good, I loved the first and second games...

Enjoy people who have it. :( Wish I could be there with you, it is gonna suck trying to dodge spoilers for this....

I don't know what is worse, not having much if any food for the week thus needing to go to the food bank to get more food, or not being able to play this. ;_; Tbh, the second is worse, I can live on ramen noodles.

Navigating spoilers is gonna be so fucking haaaard. ;_____;

It isn't hand holding tutorial. It explains and teaches you game mechanics as delivers some insanely good story and character background. It's clearly you ABC's of the Mafia 3, but doesn't feel like preachy tutorial.

Good to hear. Thanks for the impressions.

Was going to pass on this but my decision to cancel my PSVR pre-order and really liking what I saw on the Giant Bomb stream earlier means I think I'm gonna go out and pick this up tomorrow.

The intro alone is telling me the storytelling in this game will be off the charts.

Vitor711

It's a great opening. It's not AC3 levels of slow at all. I loved it. Just be prepared for a lot of cutscenes, although none are more than 5 minutes long at most.

P.S. For anyone on the fence about the PC version - it's fine. The 30FPS is some BS but it's a smooth, correctly frame-paced 30FPS. Game plays great with a controller on PC, minimal load times and looks better than console (although still weirdly blurry).

jiggles

Banned
I streamed the first couple of hours on youtube and my phone is blowing up from Content ID strikes on all the music tracks.

brau

Was going to pass on this but my decision to cancel my PSVR pre-order and really liking what I saw on the Giant Bomb stream earlier means I think I'm gonna go out and pick this up tomorrow.

The intro alone is telling me the storytelling in this game will be off the charts.

Even tho the 30fps is a downer, im still pretty excited to check the game out. If it needs to be patched to bring it up to spec, and bring the HD textures to pc, then i'll just leave it on the sidelines while i keep playing some of the other games i have on my queue.

But, the little i have followed of the game it looks promising. I hope it delivers.

Christ, a 40-60 minute unpack on Steam...

Wanted to play this for a bit before going to bed but looks like that won't be happening :/

Rellik

I had to turn it off before I spend all night playing it. I'm really enjoying it. I also got over the 30fps movement pretty quickly. Glad I stuck with the PC copy.

Corpekata

Banned
The game is super inconsistent visually but that early trip through Mardi Gras was pretty stunning.

Game just looks better flat out at night in general it seems like too.

There aren't enough good 3rd person titles on PC, but that looks to be changing this year. This title and Gears within a week of each other. NIIIIICE.

Rellik

The game is super inconsistent visually but that early trip through Mardi Gras was pretty stunning.

Game just looks better flat out at night in general it seems like too.

I thought this too. I thought the game looked bad at first, but there have been some moments where I've had to stop and admire.

There's some nice sunrises too.

Relique

Steam reviews went from Mostly Negative to Mixed real fast. Most of the positive reviews are in Chinese (I think?) from accounts with only Mafia 3 as a game and nothing else. Reaaaallly weird

I am not saying that this is the case for all the reviews you saw. But my experience is that piracy is pretty big in China and often times unhackable games get bought with the stolen credit cards and put on their own accounts and then sold in shady places for peanuts.

Sweet gamefly sent this out to me today. They begged me to come back for a buck this month and now I will be getting this and hopefully Gears sent to me. :)

Stiler

Been playing for about an hour now and so far I am loving it.

Turned on sim driving mode, the vehicles have great weight and take time to stop, etc)

So far it's what I liked about the past Mafia games, a great focus on story/characters.

I also have to give major points to two things that stand out for me,

1. Radio, this game has an AMAZING soundtrack if you like classic rock/older music. It even has some surprises that weren't on the soundtrack list that came out a little while ago.

2. The gunplay , it has both a great feel to it and also the way enemies react to it. It reminds me of games like Goldeneye/Medal of Honor: AA, how enemies react to specific locations hit, etc.

The weapons have a good punch to them in both animation and sounds, even the pistols. They don't feel like most games where it's like you're shooting a pea shooter or something. The shotgun is a beast as you'd expect.

The only downside is that there's no soldier of fortune style gore to go with it.

So far the story is building up quite well, Lincoln seems like a cool guy so far and I like how they are presenting the story with other characters talking about it.

anddo0

Seems like we're stuck with full price for now.

To be fair, it's really unusual to not have any good US sales on GMG this close to release. the VIP3 code was supposed to last until the 10th according to Dealzon, but everything relating to the US PC version just suddenly vanished.

Wonder if this is related to the G2A preorder incident.

CDkeys has the standard version version for $52, that's up from $47.. Tempting.

I couldn't find any US keys for cheap on CDkeys or anything, they were all EU only. I ended up going with the PS4 version instead since I got it for $48 with Prime.

The thought crossed my mind, but I'd rather play on PC.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm so torn. I'm a sucker for story driven games and it's the reason I loved the first two Mafia games, but I've grown tired of "take over districts one by one" type open world games. I have a feeling I'm going to cave and just pick this up at Best Buy tomorrow.

Stiler

CDkeys has the standard version version for $52, that's up from $47.. Tempting.

The thought crossed my mind, but I'd rather play on PC.

CDKeys had it for like 36 bucks last week (Worldwide, not EU).

However this week it seems like they switched to EU region (as did almost any other storefront t hat sells games like that), however if you had ordered it prior to this change you got a key for your region.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So I decided to say fuck it and take the risk. Tried to buy it on PSN, but it keeps saying my cars info is incorrect when it's not. Wtf lol.

Corpekata

Banned
Devs posted the 60+ FPS patch is currently working on their end and will need to test it some, but should be live this weekend.

So I decided to say fuck it and take the risk. Tried to buy it on PSN, but it keeps saying my cars info is incorrect when it's not. Wtf lol.

Someone else had the same problem and bought it for xbone instead. Don't know what's going on over at playstation right now but they better fix it cuz they're losing money lol

juventino

Banned

Apparently that's been happening a lot lately. I just bought a PSN card on Amazon and then used the funds from that to buy it. No idea why its been happening, but a quick google search should help you out with that

Top Bottom