• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia [Werewolf] - Have you joined the lynch mob? Sign-up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
I'm surprised that so many people here have played some form of this game. I need to see more of you in the board gaming thread!

I suppose they go hand in hand. Personally I'd love to play Live Mafia but getting groups of people together to play games like this or board games is almost impossible where I am. Family lacks interest except for my sister, and my friends are spread out. Thank god for IRC and Forum mafia. I know Mafia via skype has been popular too on twitch.tv, which seems like the closest you get to live mafia without it actually being live (and it gets many of the benefits of Internet Mafia too).

How long phases take is dependent on how many players we end up having. The more players there are, the more discussion time is needed before people feel comfortable making a decision. If we get to 26 players, I may stop accepting new sign-ups and just accept people to a waiting list to act as replacements. At 27 players, one "day phase" is going to be about 8 real life days, and one "night phase" about 2 real life days; if we don't get that far, it may be shorter.

In terms of your commitment, if you are a town player you will probably want to make an average of at least around 1-2 posts a day. Posting every day is not necessary or even always useful, so don't worry if you are away for a brief period of time, say, 2-3 days, although letting everyone know before hand. However, a general theme of inactivity is not helpful for other town players. Unless you do not post at all in a given phase, I won't do anything, but if you only post a bit and seem to be lurking, then other players will probably deal with you themselves.

sign me up! This sounds great!

Palmer_v1

I'm surprised that so many people here have played some form of this game. I need to see more of you in the board gaming thread!

It's not exactly a board game, though it does lead into stuff like Resistance, Coup, and other hidden traitor games.

I mostly lurk the board game thread. Being in community NEVER helps, either.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to play.

I used to play Mafia back in my nerdy high school tennis squad days.

Played Werewolf once before. Liked it. Count me in, if there is still room.

I play Mafia and Town of Salem a few times a week, so this should fun. Sign me up.

All in.

It's not exactly a board game, though it does lead into stuff like Resistance, Coup, and other hidden traitor games.

Being moved into community does have an awful habit of killing smaller communities, yeah.

Karkador

Banned
I suppose they go hand in hand. Personally I'd love to play Live Mafia but getting groups of people together to play games like this or board games is almost impossible where I am. Family lacks interest except for my sister, and my friends are spread out. Thank god for IRC and Forum mafia. I know Mafia via skype has been popular too on twitch.tv, which seems like the closest you get to live mafia without it actually being live (and it gets many of the benefits of Internet Mafia too).

If you haven't already, try MeetUp.com? Lots of places host local game nights, and it's how I do most of that type of gaming.

Being moved into community does have an awful habit of killing smaller communities, yeah.

:C

Yeah, this is off topic, but it sucks that a gaming-related community has trouble fitting into a large gaming forum like this. There should definitely be a visible space for it.

Amir0x

Banned

honestly I never much enjoyed board games irl, there's a few exceptions.

Mafia is just a lot easier. Little material required, immediately easy to grasp the rules, lots of craziness can still result.

In other words, it has an extremely high fun-to-effort ratio :p

Karkador

Banned
honestly I never much enjoyed board games irl, there's a few exceptions.

Mafia is just a lot easier. Little material required, immediately easy to grasp the rules, lots of craziness can still result.

In other words, it has an extremely high fun-to-effort ratio :p

While it's true that games like Mafia/Werewolf are easy to grasp, they do need very good, experienced moderators to make the game good (no pressure, Crab!), so there is still some effort that has to be put into setting up a game.

Palmer_v1

While it's true that games like Mafia/Werewolf are easy to grasp, they do need very good, experienced moderators to make the game good (no pressure, Crab!), so there is still some effort that has to be put into setting up a game.

The toughest part for me is usually wrangling the needed number of people, without losing them to other games in the meantime.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
sign me up! This sounds great!

In as our 27th player and last person to have direct entrance.

If there's still room, I would love to play. I had lots of fun last time I played.

Unfortunately, we have 27 players now and I'm not too keen on going bigger for our first community game, but I will put you top of the waiting list. With 27 players, the odds of 1-2 dropping out are very high and you are still likely to get to play.

That applies for anyone reading this, too! I'd imagine the next 4-5 people signing up will have odds ranging from very strong to reasonable to still participate.

Also, if we get through this to a second game, anyone who was on the waiting list for this one and did not get to play has first priority. I really want to get people involved as quickly as possible and build a stable community, so if you express interest, I will find a way for you to play as quickly as possible. ;)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, at this rate we've definitely slowed down and the number of people volunteering for back-up, so I'm going to put a definite date down for all the people already signed up so they know what's going.

On December 24th I'll finish waiting for sign-ups, and send out role PMs and ask for confirmation. You will have 4 days to confirm, and failure to confirm by December 29th will result in me getting one of the people on the waiting list to replace you. I will then allow 2 days to allow for replacements in the event they're needed. During this time, any roles that are allowed to have Night Phase communications will be able to talk, so this marks the Pre-Game - any Mafia-aligned players can sort out rough strategies then. The inaugural first Day Phase will start on January 1st.

StayDead

I've played quite a few mafia games on forums over the past 10 years so if possible I'd like to play. I enjoy them ^^

If I have to wait it's fine, I'll just watch the game from outside :p

I too would like to join. Never played the forum version before, but I've been playing face to face games on and off (and even the Werewolves card version) since 2008.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
And we are gooooooo:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=144700714

Anyone who has signed up but missed the first 27, just hold on stand-by in case we need replacements. You'll be contacted at the end of four days. For all the players, we now have an official game thread! :D Excitement! You should all have role PMs.

Palmer_v1

We're actively recruiting now for the next game! Post here to get your name added to the list. Details of when the next game starts are still being worked out.

We're actively recruiting now for the next game! Post here to get your name added to the list. Details of when the next game starts are still being worked out.

If you're taking anybody that wants in...then I'm In.

You'll have to forgive me for always being Mr. Doting Mother on this, especially since I've never moderated a game myself before, but:

Do you know when you aim to have the details ironed out? Target number of players? I ask because one of the things I remember about Mother 3 Mafia was that there was over a months time between recruitment and when the game started, and a bunch of people got replaced in the meantime. I think less people would have dropped out if the game had begun quickly so they got committed while the interest was high. Just food for thought.

Palmer_v1

Just to clarify, as we're discussing this in the previous game thread as well.

We are not 100% certain on how many players will fit in the next game. We're leaning heavily towards prioritizing new players over existing ones, and we may even end up with two games, depending on numbers.

That said, keep posting if you're interested, and if anyone has a lot of experience running forum games like this, and would be interested in that aspect, let us know that as well.

Edit: and subscribe to this thread to keep track of updates!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you're taking anybody that wants in...then I'm In.

You'll have to forgive me for always being Mr. Doting Mother on this, especially since I've never moderated a game myself before, but:

Do you know when you aim to have the details ironed out? Target number of players? I ask because one of the things I remember about Mother 3 Mafia was that there was over a months time between recruitment and when the game started, and a bunch of people got replaced in the meantime. I think less people would have dropped out if the game had begun quickly so they got committed while the interest was high. Just food for thought.

I wouldn't target any specific number too tightly. There are certain numbers that work well and some that don't [even/odd numbers of players makes a surprisingly large difference] but the game size will largely be a product of sign-ups. After that, it's just a matter of creating a set. This is a lot of work, but I will be on hand to help the moderator and providing they dedicate proper time to it, it shouldn't take more than a week tops.

On a different note, I've updated the OP with details of the completed game and the new sign-ups.

mclem

If anyone's interested, there's a Korean gameshow - Crime Scene - currently being subbed here (scroll down a bit to the first season).

It's got some aspects of One Night Ultimate Werewolf combined with Cluedo, in that there's *actually* a mystery, with clues and investigating the titular crime scene, along with interrogation, so the criminal has to convince the other players to vote for someone else, discrediting evidence that puts them in a bad light and highlighting evidence that puts the finger on another. Since everyone's playing roles that tie in with the story of the case, and has their own secrets to hide independently of whether they're the criminal, that leads to some nice interplay and accusations.

I'm enjoying it, at least, and it's an interesting take on the format, with the storyline of the case to latch onto independent of the Mafia side of things.

Palmer_v1

If anyone's interested, there's a Korean gameshow - Crime Scene - currently being subbed here (scroll down a bit to the first season).

It's got some aspects of One Night Ultimate Werewolf combined with Cluedo, in that there's *actually* a mystery, with clues and investigating the titular crime scene, along with interrogation, so the criminal has to convince the other players to vote for someone else, discrediting evidence that puts them in a bad light and highlighting evidence that puts the finger on another. Since everyone's playing roles that tie in with the story of the case, and has their own secrets to hide independently of whether they're the criminal, that leads to some nice interplay and accusations.

I'm enjoying it, at least, and it's an interesting take on the format, with the storyline of the case to latch onto independent of the Mafia side of things.

Nice. I'll check it out. There was a show here in NA called Whodunnit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whodunnit?_(2013_U.S._TV_series)), that I liked a lot. It was basically reality show version of Clue, where the killer was planted among the contestants. Players were eliminated based on how poorly they figured out each murder, with the next murder being that player.

Top Bottom