• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia [Werewolf] - Have you joined the lynch mob? Sign-up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

mclem

Nice. I'll check it out. There was a show here in NA called Whodunnit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whodunnit?_(2013_U.S._TV_series)), that I liked a lot. It was basically reality show version of Clue, where the killer was planted among the contestants. Players were eliminated based on how poorly they figured out each murder, with the next murder being that player.

Yes, I watched that (I'm a big fan of gameshows, so I'll pick up anything interesting internationally), but the problem there is that the criminal wasn't really an active participant; the gameplay was primarily about the solving of the murder (and ironically, howdunnit rather than who). There wasn't actually any impetus for the criminal to contribute to the game; they were safe until the end and then they would be caught and - for the most part - whether they were or not was out of their control. Nevertheless, I very much enjoyed it!

Crime Scene is much closer to a One Night Werewolf approach, but with the crime details replacing the myriad of roles (that said, some episodes of season 1 and all of season 2 introduced a detective role, which worked quite nicely because they could act as a leader and control the pacing of the game, as well)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
27 sign-ups and counting, meaning this game is filling nine times faster than the first one. :p

It was bound to happen Crab. You gave folks a taste, and now they want a 2nd shot, and spectators who thought it was cool want in too. This is all just as planned.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Just a thought, but if you guys are having trouble finding a single game moderator, you could always have a mod team and divide duties.

For example, if it were a 3 man team, there could be a head mod that oversees everything and is the final authority of the game, basically what a one man mod would normally be. Then you could have a "Night" mod who lords over the hidden conversations that the Mafia and other secretive groups have. And then the Day mod, who answers the questions and resolves disputes during the main day phases.

It doesn't nessisarily have to be exactly like that, but it is a thought that occurred to me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I considered ultron for MVP, but I value use of talking well more than use of roles well. Using roles is easy, being able to contribute a lot of material that obviously carries across the fact you are town is a lot harder, I thought Timeaisis did that really well. Mafia doesn't lose because they get caught by a role, or at least, they shouldn't in a well-designed setup, they lose because of the subtle emotional tells. The best way to produce those is for town to talk, and talk a lot, and talk with conviction; because that increases the amount of work mafia has to do and it's really hard to lie convincingly for a sustained period of time - just ask Karkador. :p I did consider Palmer_v1, but he came across as potential mafia to a few more players so I thought he made himself too much of a diversion. El Topo I think came the closest to taking Timeaisis' title, he was just too easily deterred from pouncing on weakened mafia like when RNH survived his first near miss.

Barry going to have like 5 actions targeting him night 1.

Honestly I regret attacking Barry Night 1, but only because of how risky a move that was in hindsight. We could of easily lost a Mafia day 2.

Palmer_v1

I considered ultron for MVP, but I value use of talking well more than use of roles well. Using roles is easy, being able to contribute a lot of material that obviously carries across the fact you are town is a lot harder, I thought Timeaisis did that really well. Mafia doesn't lose because they get caught by a role, or at least, they shouldn't in a well-designed setup, they lose because of the subtle emotional tells. The best way to produce those is for town to talk, and talk a lot, and talk with conviction; because that increases the amount of work mafia has to do and it's really hard to lie convincingly for a sustained period of time - just ask Karkador. :p I did consider Palmer_v1, but he came across as potential mafia to a few more players so I thought he made himself too much of a diversion. El Topo I think came the closest to taking Timeaisis' title, he was just too easily deterred from pouncing on weakened mafia like when RNH survived his first near miss.

Not to discount Time or anyone else, but Ultron made good use of the role. He caught almost every power role within the first few nights. That's pretty good target selection.

We joked about possibly having the worst cop ever, but Ultron was really the only power role we had that could gain any information. If he had played it badly, we were pretty well doomed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not to discount Time or anyone else, but Ultron made good use of the role. He caught almost every power role within the first few nights. That's pretty good target selection.

We joked about possibly having the worst cop ever, but Ultron was really the only power role we had that could gain any information. If he had played it badly, we were pretty well doomed.

It's true that a lot of the power roles were observed, but this only directly led to one mafia death - Lord of Castamere's - and this was because he slipped himself. Finding mafia is one of the least important skills a town player can have, and I think is something new players often don't expect. But consider it this way: supposing you find them, what do you do with them? You need to get them lynched, but you need the help of other people to do that. That means the important skill is a) convincing other people you're town, followed closely by b) convincing other people to lynch mafia. Actually finding mafia then comes in at third. ultron struggled with b), I thought, and back away from gambits that proved useful to town. For example, ultron was very strongly anti-Karkador, but town's harnessing of Karkador is what turned the game from what was looking like an easy mafia win to a relatively strong town win very easily. Of course, ultron played very well - I think pretty much all of town did - but I thought quite hard about who I wanted to give best player to. :p

Palmer_v1

It's true that a lot of the power roles were observed, but this only directly led to one mafia death - Lord of Castamere's - and this was because he slipped himself. Finding mafia is one of the least important skills a town player can have - supposing you find them, what do you do with them? The most important is a) convincing other people you're town, followed closely by b) convincing other people to lynch mafia. ultron struggled with b), I thought, and back away from gambits that proved useful to town. For example, ultron was very strongly anti-Karkador, but town's harnessing of Karkador is what turned the game from what was looking like an easy mafia win to a relatively strong town win very easily. Of course, ultron played very well - I think pretty much all of town did - but I thought quite hard about who I wanted to give best player to. :p

Maybe the Town's real MVP was the Serial Killer all along.

31086624244adb4a219f1b74fe8eed11007b1c4f2687d4235605cb06b0a1b6f4.jpg

Also, this was my single favorite post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160354312&postcount=1825

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Mine was the Matty G's response to:

Suddenly, MattyG rips off his false moustache and... the ladies present start feeling rather faint. Pheromones fill the air, he lounges back into a rather sexual swagger, and you swear you can faintly hear Justin Timberlake's Sexy Back playing. Truly, you are amazed to find yourself in the presence of global megastar, Gerhardt Schlongstein. No mafia here!

MattyG is confirmed as Town-aligned.

with:

ehwiYnQ.gif

Hello ladies.

And we're up to an excellent 30 players, with an almost equal mix of new and old! Sign-ups going very promising. :D

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
if the games are going to be run by people with less experience do you think 2 smaller games would be easier to handle Crab?

Yes. I would not recommend anyone but a very experienced host handle games of 30+ players, they are exhausting to run. At the moment, I definitely think we're heading towards two concurrent games. We have 30 players at the moment, 2 of whom will therefore need to step-forward as game-runners, leaving us 28. If we're aiming for two games of around 20+ players each, which I think is a reasonable target, we need about 15 more sign-ups minimum - 12 to fill it up and 3 on a waiting list to fill for replacements. Ideally closer to 20 more would be good, so I imagine sign-ups will be open for at least a week more.

Timeaisis

And here I thought we were bros. :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
haly wants to sign up, but is currently banned, so I'm signing up for him. He's back by May 4th, so not an issue.

That puts us on 32, aiming for around 47. (2 moderators, 3 spares, 42 players in 2 games)

We should do a Game of thrones themed match. 1 King 26 Peasants. Everyday the King kills 1 peasant. Every night the peasants pray to their god (s) for hope. The game ends when the King grows bored.

Timeaisis

For the record, I pronounce it

Time-ā-sis,
with the a long "a" as in "aid" or "braid".

But you can pronounce it any which way you want.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. In my head I've been reading it as "Tim-ay-EYE-sis".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Too late to sign up?

gosh no! We'll be taking on new people for at least a week! And we'll be especially glad to have CK2 players - that intrigue experience is valuable. :p

Swamped

Banned
Id like to sign up!

I've only played this game a few times so i don't have much experience...but it's the type of game i really enjoy :D

I missed the bumps, but I would like in again as well. I can certainly take lower priority than someone new though.

If we are trying two games and one is Star Wars though, that'd be my preference :p

Top Bottom