• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maggie Gyllenhaal: At 37 I was 'too old' for role opposite 55-year-old man

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Maggie! She's one of my favorite actors, and her looks have always been part of that. She doesn't look old (to me), she just looks different than a lot of ladies you're used to seeing in Hollywood. You don't have to like her, but goddamn, some of the comments in here... :|

andycapps

Jennifer Aniston is looking older these days, though still very nice, yet she keeps getting work. Maybe Maggie Gyllenhaal just doesn't have the pull she thinks she does.

George Clooney is 54 BTW. Maybe it was him?

Jenov

maggie-gyllenhaal-short-hair-style-2014.jpg
Definitely not a dog, she looks good. Maggie probably doesn't get as much botox/plastic surgery.

Edit: damn hotlink crap
Here's the link: http://freetopone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/maggie-gyllenhaal-short-hair-style-2014.jpg

Bladenic

I'm not gonna say anything about her appearance because she's a decent actress, but Jake really did get lucky on the gene front compared to her. Although it is a matter of opinion.

My favorite.

Study shows different.

http://asr.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/05/29/0003122414536391

to quote her:
There is a positive within-individual correlation of physical attractiveness and socioeconomic status—individuals advantaged on one dimension tend to be advantaged on the other. Given this, matching on attractiveness and status creates a between-partner cross-trait correlation between her beauty and his status (and vice versa), even in the absence of beauty-status exchange. This correlation might be misconstrued as beauty-status exchange in miss-specified models, including the models used in prior analyses.

Admittedly, some prior studies claiming evidence of gendered beauty-status exchange examine earlier cohorts in which women had greater incentive to use beauty as a means of social mobility. Still, even these early studies show an association between women’s socioeconomic status and their physical attractiveness and between women’s and men’s socioeconomic status (Elder 1969; Taylor and Glenn 1976; Udry 1977). Moreover, the absence of robust evidence for exchange in the current analysis cannot be entirely attributed to women’s new economic independence: the argument that women trade beauty for money out of economic necessity implies that modern women might use their labor market success to secure physically attractive men with poor labor market prospects (e.g., Press 2004), but this occurs infrequently, if at all.

I wasn't suggesting women completely exchange beauty for money. I'm saying that while the physical aspect is important it is not considered as absolutely paramount as it would for a man. When choosing a long term partner (and not just a fuck buddy) I do genuinely believe that women consider (either subconsciously or otherwise) multiple factors more so than men.

Jobbs

Banned
Since when is it not cool to say a woman is unattractive? I don't find her attractive, being a famous actress has no effect on how I see her.

People have different tastes, news at 10.

You don't have to find anyone attractive or unattractive. But it's really not appropriate to call someone a dog or tear down their appearance.

Girls and women face a lot of pressure to look good and look a certain way, this permeates their lives in ways far beyond what most men experience. If you're on a public forum declaring which women are dogs, that's a hurtful thing. Maybe a girl or woman reading the forum will look at the woman who's "a dog", and compare herself to them, and then take a hit to their own self esteem.

I shouldn't have to explain that it's rude and hurtful to call people ugly and dogs and tear apart their appearance, but apparently I do.

Meier

She's great and sometimes looks very pretty in The Honourable Woman. Not every part is the same though so whose to say that in this case, she wasn't too old? I don't think her hairstyle does her favors though.. short hair like that simply isn't very appealing to a large percentage of people.

OCD Guy

ahahah ...yeah, that was pretty good.

you know who's 61 and still hasn't reached her last fuckable day?

Christie Brinkley.

Christie-Brinkley-Swimsuit-People-Magazine-February-2014-06-720x485.jpg

that woman is amazing.

She looks real nice for her age, but that picture has got some major airbrush going on.

Still not many people look like she does at that age.

Stevey

IMO she does look older than 37, but too old for a 55 year old man?
Need to see what this man looks like before I can realistically say if they're right or wrong.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You don't have to find anyone attractive or unattractive. But it's really not appropriate to call someone a dog or tear down their appearance.

Girls and women face a lot of pressure to look good and look a certain way, this permeates their lives in ways far beyond what most men experience. If you're on a public forum declaring which women are dogs, that's a hurtful thing. Maybe a girl or woman reading the forum will look at the woman who's "a dog", and compare herself to them, and then take a hit to their own self esteem.

I shouldn't have to explain that it's rude and hurtful to call people ugly and dogs and tear apart their appearance, but apparently I do.

I like how one person in the thread called her a dog but people in here pretend that multiple people did.

OCD Guy

Well worthy ban right here.

It should be a requirement that any comments like that are accompanied by a photo of the person making the comment....

Wonder how good they looked.

Anyway it's not surprising, on the internet people can say anything behind a keyboard as they don't have to deal with a reaction in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom