• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

there's really no justification to only ban the white bis 2 drop imo. If you went and banned Eidolon / Young Pyro, Snapcaster, Bob and Goyf go ahead but don't continue to just hamstring white.
There is no "cycle parity", Mystic is busted. Period. End of story. The cost reduction mechanic will keep the card banned for all eternally.

False equivalency is not something you base an argument on.

Jhriad

You don't hear anyone say ban Snap so WotC can print great spells again, because for some reason the most powerful spells getting another use is so much less egregious than a turn 3 batterskull.

It's almost like mana cost reduction is a bigger developmental and format problem than the ability to cast spells a second time. Maybe a ban list full of cards that shave costs would be some sort of indication that this is the case.

There is no "cycle parity", Mystic is busted. Period. End of story. The cost reduction mechanic will keep the card banned for all eternally.

False equivalency is not something you base an argument on.

If at all Mystic is busted in modern considering goyf considerably outpaces it in legacy and snapcaster is close behind.
It's almost like mana cost reduction is a bigger developmental and format problem than the ability to cast spells a second time. Maybe a ban list full of cards that shave costs would be some sort of indication that this is the case.
it's almost as if this argument worked justifying the ban but since then batterskull hasn't been replaced in half a decade, go take a look at all the equipments that cost more than 5 heck go take a look at all equipment that cost 3 or more and then tell me why cheating the mana costs for any of them that don't have living weapon is that imposing. There's also a list of cards that are still legal despite cheating mana.

kirblar

If at all Mystic is busted in modern considering goyf considerably outpaces it in legacy and snapcaster is close behind.

it's almost as if this argument worked justifying the ban but since then batterskull hasn't been replaced in half a decade, go take a look at all the equipments that cost more than 5 heck go take a look at all equipment that cost 3 or more and then tell me why cheating the mana costs for any of them that don't have living weapon is that imposing. There's also a list of cards that are still legal despite cheating mana.
The ban is justified. You simply don't understand why and would be better off listening rather than speaking.

SFM is never safe because of the cost reduction.

The ban is justified. You simply don't understand why.

SFM is never safe because of the cost reduction.
here's a list of all equipments with cmc more than 2 excluding the ones with living weapon
https://magidex.com/search?q=t:equipment cmc>2 -o:living
name me one where the cheating of mana costs is particularly good in modern

Even including the ones with living weapons, there's not much else but batterskull.

I agree with you that the ban was justified, it's the continuation of it which is not.

kirblar

here's a list of all equipments with cmc more than 2 excluding the ones with living weapon
https://magidex.com/search?q=t:equipment cmc>2 -o:living
name me one where the cheating of mana costs is particularly good in modern

Even including the ones with living weapons, there's not much else but batterskull.

I agree with you that the ban was justified, it's the continuation of it which is not.

If you think taking it off is ok, you don't understand why it was banned in the first place.

It's never safe because any card like Batterskull in the future will re-break it.

Hero

C1Uh2_eWgAAdlo0.png

Why the fuck is this thing 5 mana?

red13th

Well theoretically you can get as many attack phases as you can since there's no limit to the number of times you can use the ability.

Supast4r

I just don't think facing down a turn 3 Batterskull sounds fun at all.

I'd prefer if they did the swap and Mystic opened up a whole new archetype or something.
And facing turn 3 killin fiend as a 20 power, zooicide that kills you turn 3, infect, burn with two guides and a great reveal, affinity with most hands, etc is? Turn 3 batterskull is very good, but it lines up with the power level of other powerful modern plays.

Yeef

ogpujWk.png

Weldfast Engineer 1BR
Creature - Human Artificer
At the beginning of your combat phase target artifact creature you control gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
3/3

H8mnQIz.png

Outland Boar 2RG
Creature - Boar
Outland Board can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less
4/4

About Lightning Runner, you get infinite combat steps if you have 4 out, or combine it with another "energy on attack" creature like the lizard.

El Topo

If you have enough creatures to go infinite your opponent is probably screwed anyway. It's a 2/2 with double strike that gets you energy if it attacks and *maybe* an additional combat step once.

Hero

Because of the dual combat step part.

If you have enough creatures to go infinite your opponent is probably screwed anyway. It's a 2/2 with double strike that gets you energy and *maybe* an additional combat step once. Also dies to a lot of removal.

Right, I understand that the extra combat step is powerful/swingy/etc, but it being on a 2/2 body is pathetic. Like they couldn't just make it a 4/4 without the double strike?

El Topo

Right, I understand that the extra combat step is powerful/swingy/etc, but it being on a 2/2 body is pathetic. Like they couldn't just make it a 4/4?

They're printing Shock in AER. Even 3/3 would have been *something*. It's another case of "Let us just slap some things on a card and call it a day".
There is something amusing about how Lightning Runner dies to Shock though.

Yeef

2caumvyiop7y.png

Call of Unity 3WW
Enchantment
Revolt - At the beginning of your end step, put a Unity counter on Call of Unity if a permanent you control left the battlefield this turn.
Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each unity counter on Call of Unity.

oslrdmsdnp7y.jpg

Walking Ballista XX
Artifact Creature - Construct
~ enters the battlefield with with X +1/+1 counters on it.
4: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~
Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~ : ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

But hey, at least it's immune to the new darling in black removal.

Playing that long con, just pricing everything out of CMC based removal range. I get you, Wizards.

ultron87

Mikaeus anyone? 0 mana is quit a bit cheaper than triskelion

Doesn't quite work, since Mikaeus gives it +1/+1 so it won't die if you cast it for 0. If you cast for 2 to get a counter on it, it's infinite death triggers/etb triggers by shooting itself, but not infinite damage. Get a sac outlet and you're in business. I assume those are plentiful in Mikaeus decks.

Joe Molotov

Doesn't quite work, since Mikaeus gives it +1/+1 so it won't die if you cast it for 0. If you cast for 2 to get a counter on it, it's infinite death triggers/etb triggers by shooting itself, but not infinite damage. Get a sac outlet and you're in business. I assume those are plentiful in Mikaeus decks.

You could have it deal 1 damage to itself to have it infinitely enter the battlefield for no benefit. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You play it for 0 it dies because it's a 0/0 and comes back with a +1/+1 counter, you remove the +1/+1 counter it dis because it's a 0/0, profit.

OnPoint

And facing turn 3 killin fiend as a 20 power, zooicide that kills you turn 3, infect, burn with two guides and a great reveal, affinity with most hands, etc is? Turn 3 batterskull is very good, but it lines up with the power level of other powerful modern plays.
"We have a bunch of broken stuff happening in the format... Hey Supast4r, what do we do?"

"Balance it with more broken things!"

Supast4r

"We have a bunch of broken stuff happening in the format... Hey Supast4r, what do we do?"

It's a better alternative than banning out 4 decks and having people quit your format. If you ban out those decks people will leave in packs. Modern's identity at this point is winning in fast ways with few police cards to stop it.

bigkrev

C1VjjcfWIAA9Rok.jpg

Revolt- ETB give -3/-3 to a creature

I can't believe we have moved from removal being unplayable to them printing good 3 mana Nekrataal's again at uncommon.

I really thought that he would be the first pushed mono blue creature that we have had in awhile. Instead we get another commander card...

Image.ashx

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

He didn't even survive Torch of Defiance's -3. That's kind of funny to me.

From Modern Nexus' testing, the only deck that Abzan ft Mystic had a significant win ratio increase against was burn, and considering Burn opted to side out Eidolon of the Great Revel against a deck full of CMC<3, I'm tempted to discard the big swing in matchups.

Again, I'm totally fine with Mystic staying on the list if it means we can get decent Equipment, but so far we've got none of that since Batterskull. Just give White something that it can play as a 2 drop that isn't limited to D&T/Hatebears.

bigkrev

I'll probably cut at least 1 Goblin Electromancer from my Storm deck for a Baral- he's easier to cast and does a slightly better job on defense (it can block 2/Xs, eats Thalia, ect) at the cost of being slightly worse on the beatdown plan (which never actually works) and being a Legend.

Crocodile

636191194732337249.jpg

Aethertide Whale 4UU
Creature - Whale
Flying.

When Aethertide Whale enters the battlefield, you get EEEEEE.
Pay EEEE: Return Aethertide Whale to your hand.

6/4

Source: VKontakte (Russian "Facebook")

87eTT5F.jpg

Source: SCG

Yeah a 1/3 is barely a card

Aquameoba
Augur of Bolas
Fathom Seer
Painter's Servant
Sygg, River Cutthroat
Ambassador Laquatus
Court Hussar
Drowner of Secrets
Fiend Hunter
Grand Arbiter
Orhan Viper
Ophidian
Sea Gate Oracle
Shadowmage Infiltrator

All limited, casual and/or constructed ALL STARS (and this list isn't even exhaustive)

Like why do you take so much joy in being spectacularly wrong about MTG all the time? :p

Hero

He's enabling dumb sorcery/instant combos/loops, he has no business having an efficient body attached. 1/3 is fine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If I'm gonna play a control oriented 1U creature it's gonna be Thing in the Ice.

That has been their philosophy with recent unbannings.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";227653280]
Mikaeus gives your creatures +1/+1.[/QUOTE]
my bad. Doesn't work as well then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom