• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";227653280]Chandra's arch-nemesis is a 1/3.[/QUOTE]

She's been zapping him with Shock every turn since they met and it just doesn't seem to be working for some reason.

en_LQk8qNDhAv.png

Won't even post the rest of the cycle, they aren't much better.

Did they update the wording template on this sort of ability or did I miss the boat? In the past, the first ability would have said "Implement of Combustion deals 1 damage" rather than "It deals 1 damage."

Supast4r

C1VjjcfWIAA9Rok.jpg

Revolt- ETB give -3/-3 to a creature

I can't believe we have moved from removal being unplayable to them printing good 3 mana Nekrataal's again at uncommon.

Image.ashx

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
A mono blue creature that's cheap to cast. We always get 6 mana plus "end game" control cards in blue. I would like some kind of versatility from the creature spot for blue. I guess I'm asking for too much.

Firemind

Aquameoba
Augur of Bolas
Fathom Seer
Painter's Servant
Sygg, River Cutthroat
Ambassador Laquatus
Court Hussar
Drowner of Secrets
Fiend Hunter
Grand Arbiter
Orhan Viper
Ophidian
Sea Gate Oracle
Shadowmage Infiltrator

All limited, casual and/or constructed ALL STARS (and this list isn't even exhaustive)

Like why do you take so much joy in being spectacularly wrong about MTG all the time? :p
LOL you have no idea what I'm talking.

He's enabling dumb sorcery/instant combos/loops, he has no business having an efficient body attached. 1/3 is fine.
His second ability doesn't play well with combo decks because combo doesn't play counterspells. The first ability is Goblin Electromancer which was a common and good in multiples.

why a vanilla 5/5? It's neat design but it only stops you from losing the game to damage essentially, which at 7 mana is pretty weak. There was already this gal as well
you even get to keep it after it goes off and I'm not even playing that card in my angry angels EDH deck. Which I just realised is all gals ever since I took out Ajani for Torch Chandra

Flying is vanilla for angels

So, uh... given that the angel doesn't specify that you don't lose the game, that means any alternate win conditions still trigger, right? Because, sure, you go back to 20 life and then it doesn't matter that you're at 20 life because that's not why you lost to begin with?

Ashodin

So, uh... given that the angel doesn't specify that you don't lose the game, that means any alternate win conditions still trigger, right? Because, sure, you go back to 20 life and then it doesn't matter that you're at 20 life because that's not why you lost to begin with?
Given that it only triggers on you losing, I'd say yeah.

bigkrev

It's an instead, so it stops anything that would make you loose the game
For Example, if your library has zero cards and you are forced to draw a card, this effect would trigger, you would go back to 20, and the game would continue. You would obviously loose the next time you would draw a card.

What I want to know is if this ability uses the stack in any way. If it does, and you receive 10 poison counters (which is a state-based check for loss of game as soon as any player receives priority, so if there was a spell that said "gain 10 poison counters, then draw 10 cards, destroy 5 lands, then shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 1 card", you would do all of the actions before the game checks if you are dead for poison), you could in theory have assembled some contraption that lets you create copies of this creature at will, which each time the state based check happens, would allow it to loop because of the exile trigger. Would a judge even allow this to happen?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's Resolute Archangel except bad and randomly a Mythic.

Resolute Archangel was actually good on occasion. I played it in constructed a few times and sometimes it would save your ass.

Dovan Baan deserves a better card just from the level of savagery he shows in today's story.
Today's Story said:
The air flooded out of him. That was it, then. He lay back and looked at the towering clouds. "I won't forget this, Baan."

"Excellent. I do not care to repeat myself."

ultron87

What I want to know is if this ability uses the stack in any way. If it does, and you receive 10 poison counters (which is a state-based check for loss of game as soon as any player receives priority, so if there was a spell that said "gain 10 poison counters, then draw 10 cards, destroy 5 lands, then shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 1 card", you would do all of the actions before the game checks if you are dead for poison), you could in theory have assembled some contraption that lets you create copies of this creature at will, which each time the state based check happens, would allow it to loop because of the exile trigger. Would a judge even allow this to happen?

If such a thing was possible, and you have the means to stop it by saying "no" to a may or picking a different target or whatnot, you'd be forced to stop it and lose since you can't just say "I do this forever" when executing a loop. If it's all mandatory actions it'd be a draw.

I don't think this would be possible though, since the 10 poison counter state based action is going to apply again before any triggers resolve or any abilities could be activated.

Crocodile

solemnrecruit.jpg

Solemn Recruit?

Double strike

Revolt - At the beginning of your end step, if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Solemn Recruit.

Source: Wizards Spain

hiddenstocks.jpg

?Hidden Reserve?

Enchantment

Revolt - At the beginning of your end step, if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, create a 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature token.

{1}, sacrifice creature: Scry 1.

Source: VKontakte (Russian "Facebook")

C1WQW90WQAA1JYe.jpg:large

Reno Jackson + Ice Block stapled to a big angel.

This just seems worse in most scenarios than Platinum Angel?

It's an instead, so it stops anything that would make you loose the game
For Example, if your library has zero cards and you are forced to draw a card, this effect would trigger, you would go back to 20, and the game would continue. You would obviously loose the next time you would draw a card.

It's a replacement effect so there is no stack involved; it just happens instead of you losing. If you have 10 poison counters on you with this out then, once any player gains priority, instead of you losing it gets exiled and you return to your starting life but the event causing you to lose happens immediately again upon anyone gaining priority and before any sort of triggered abilities on the stack get to resolve. Since you can't actually have an infinite number of them in play (you'd need to pick some value when looping them) you'd burn through all the copies and lose before you can take any additional actions unless you have some way to generate more copies without the stack and without anyone gaining priority.

If such a thing was possible, and you have the means to stop it by saying "no" to a may or picking a different target or whatnot, you'd be forced to stop it and lose since you can't just say "I do this forever" when executing a loop. If it's all mandatory actions it'd be a draw.

I don't think this would be possible though, since the 10 poison counter state based action is going to apply again before any triggers resolve or any abilities could be activated.

Also all this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm surprised they printed Baral at all given how much they hate Storm.

As far as double strikers go, Solemn Recruit seems pretty reasonable. 1WW for a 2/2 that can grow and often can be 3/3 by the end of the turn it is played isn't bad.

Isn't Yahenni a "They"?

Yes. It's stated a few aetherborn do prefer gendered pronouns but "they" has always been used for Yahenni.

Angry Grimace

I played Fabled Hero with Ghor-Clan Rampager, but the 1WW double strikers haven't been anything to write home about since then.

That only worked because Brave the Elements and Gods Willing were both legal. That was also the last time I played Giant Growth in Standard.

I played Fabled Hero with Ghor-Clan Rampager, but the 1WW double strikers haven't been anything to write home about since then.

That only worked because Brave the Elements and Gods Willing were both legal. That was also the last time I played Giant Growth in Standard.

Oh, it's certainly not Standard playable, at least not as a win condition. Pummeler is the better option if you want to go in that sort of direction. Rather, I was thinking about it from a Limited standpoint since being able to grow means it could do a good job dominating the board after a couple turns.

Santiako

Tons of cards today!

Walking Ballista, Baraal and Revolt Nekrataal look great for constructed.

The BW enchantment will find a home in one of my EDH decks for sure.

The Implement cycle is limited fodder but I love cheap cantripfacts so I love them all.

qPp7Vac.jpg

I like that you can fetch the blue one with trophy mage.

Will you come with me under arrest, or shall I leave you to engage in further pugilism with the shrubbery?

For all the shitting on the lighthearted stories we do, this was a hilarious burn. But I laughed at the Vader line in Rogue One so what do I know.

alternade

So is a mono blue control deck viable now?

Baral + disappearing act + some revolt payoff card. All it needs is a sweeper of sorts and a decent finisher.

Angry Grimace

So is a mono blue control deck viable now?

Baral + disappearing act + some revolt payoff card. All it needs is a sweeper of sorts and a decent finisher.

Torrential Gearhulk is still a card.

I don't think there's any real reason to go mono-blue. Baral already lets you cheat on mana a little by turning your counters into a better version of Dissolve.

The problem is that pairing blue with white sucks because Torrential Gearhulk isn't very good at stabilizing a board in a white deck because unconditional removal in white is limited to Stasis Snare, and black is critically missing a reliable sweeper.

Ashodin

Wheelsmith ain't bad. It's no Veteran Motorist, but then again, what is?

Yeah I also like Servoblossom thing.

I'm feeling WhiteBlack Servosac, with Yahennis, Marionette Master, and other stuff. There's some good there. Yahenni can eat the servos to make Marionette Master do some crazy shit.

Whoa, Metallic Mimic is preordering for 4 bucks a piece

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";227674825]This is my favorite card in the set. So good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a really efficient sac outlet and token generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom