• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst insertion as a card is Nissa, because she has no reason to be a card in that specific set, though I guess she probably made it in because Kaladesh was designed under 18 month rotation. Worst appearance on art has to be Dramatic Reversal, because before then the story was "The Jundwatch goes to Kaladesh while Jace/Gideon invesigate Vraska" AKA Alright as a thing a group would do, but then Jace shows up on a fucking Common being like "THE GANG'S ALL HERE" and you just scream.

Honestly, with how the story worked out, Nissa didn't need a card(Except for her interactions with Yahenni), who I'm 90% Certain story admitted they didn't plan for being a thing. If they had to include a 6th walker, I'd much rather they give us Rashmi as a Planeswalker or something over Nissa.

Then for Balance you could have had Ajani, Chandra, Saheeli, and Baan in Kaladesh, Rashmi and Tezzeret in Aether Revolt. That's 2 White Walkers, 4 Blue Walkers, 1 Black walker, 2 Red Walkers, 2 Green Walkers. You might have to tweak colors on one of the newcomers, but Rashmiwalker would have been better.

The nature of commander makes Nissa a regrowth essentially. She ain't living for a turn.

nope that's the defiances in Eldritch Moon. Whole set was like, I guess the gatewatch is here for some reason now.

That's why you Help Nissa get there with Doubling Season/Oath of Gideon/What have you. Get her to Ult Range the turn you cast her(Proliferate/What have you), Ult, enjoy Cantripping with each land you play.

Supast4r

Doubling Season makes way more sense at Mythic than the other cards they bumped up- it's expensive, "splashy", and would absolutely be printed at Mythic if it was first printed in a Mythic era set
Considering that it sees no modern play, no it doesn't.

Supast4r

They're not unbanning Jace even if its practically the only viable unban target left. There's the simple fact that even if its mediocre, an unbanned Jace is a $200 card.
Considering that they mentioned meeting about possibly unbanning it, I wouldn't say never. Price is not why he is banned...

Supast4r

The other problem is the idea that unbanning Jace, the Mind Sculptor would lead to something that we traditionally think of as blue control coming back. What you would actually get is:

Lands

4 x Verdant Catacombs
1 x Blooming Marsh
4 x Polluted Delta
2 x Watery Grave
3 x Creeping Tar Pit
2 x Darkslick Shores
1 x Breeding Pool
1 x Overgrown Tomb
2 x Swamp
1 x Forest
1 x Island
1 x Misty Rainforest

Creatures

4 x Tarmogoyf
4 x Snapcaster Mage
4 x Dark Confidant
1 x Vendilion Clique
2 x Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Planeswalkers

4x Liliana of the Veil
3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Spells

1 x Remand
4 x Fatal Push
3 x Inquisition of Kozilek
3 x Thoughtseize
3 x Abrupt Decay
1 x Maelstrom Pulse

e.g. a $3000 Sultai deck that looks like Jund with a ridiculous top-end that prevents your opponent from doing anything.
That deck gets smacked by tron and eldrazi so I don't see how it's any different from other bg goodstuff decks.

Supast4r

I really hope not. In fact I'd hope it goes back to the Gideon Jura mechanical identity instead of just being Elspeth that can attack.

I suppose "can attack" is now more of his mechanical identity than anything else now though.
I would actually love it if the new Gideon took inspiration from mother of runes and protected a permanent for a turn from a color of your choice. It's probably too broken but I like the idea.

Supast4r

... In what world is an infinite combo that can go off on turn 4 in Standard not getting banned? Yes, there are decks that can go faster than it, but that was exactly the situation with Skullclamp, which got banned.
Are you aware that twin was once a standard deck and it didn't get banned? Cat is here to stay.

Yeef

I meant both. We already have a Nissa in Standard and did even before the rotation schedule changed.

I mean in the lore the entire Gatewatch was there. They just didn't all get cards so Nissa's inclusion came off as random.
They generally try to color-balance the planeswalkers throughout the block. My guess is they thought using Nissa again was better than introducing a 3rd new walker in the block.

Using Nissa again doesn't really bother me. The bigger problem is that mechanically Vital Force doesn't really do anything that feels connected to anything Kaladesh was doing in terms of limited, constructed or story. Maybe they purposely did that to make her feel like a fish out of water, but it didn't really pay off.

Bit of a clarification on red not being able to transform lands. Though he's still against red turning lands into Mountains, he isn't necessarily against red turning lands into Wastes.
sethenrique asked: If Red is unable to do controlled transformation of lands, does that mean that turning a land into a Wastes as a form of "land destruction lite" is off the table?

Not necessarily. Changing it to a more destroyed state might be something we could consider.

Also, the inclusion of converge in BFZ was a mistake
mrcobweb asked: I ask this question out of pure design interest, please read it with no intention of criticism or negativity. How does a mechanic like converge get selected for a block like return to zendikar? On one end is the new function of the block-care about finding and using colorless mana- and on the other end doing a 180 and asking players to do the opposite-care about all the main colors?

The mechanic wasn’t made in design so I gave to guess at the intentions. I believe it stemmed from trying to give more identity to the Allies and it was contrasting the Eldrazi which were focused on colorlessness. At the time, Oath of the Gatewatch did not yet have its colorless mana theme.

That said, yes, in retrospect, it was a mistake.

Yeef

Converge is a great mechanic that was used in the wrong place. I hope popular opinion hasn't been tainted enough that we don't see it on a return to Alara; I feel like it's the perfect mechanic for that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Are you aware that twin was once a standard deck and it didn't get banned? Cat is here to stay.

In a standard with strong spell interaction and caw blade. Which would have been even more dominate because of the twin combo. Its just the deck got banned before we really saw twin blade come to fruitition.

Supast4r

In a standard with strong spell interaction and caw blade. Which would have been even more dominate because of the twin combo. Its just the deck got banned before we really saw twin blade come to fruitition.
You could say this about a ton of standard decks from head past. The point is that the combo was perfectly fine in that standard and it didn't get banned. I expect to see no bans for standard because wizards wouldn't do two bannings in a row. It would kill players trust in standard which matters a lot. There is a reason why the delta between bannings was over 5 years.

Funny this card
272.jpg
Is actually drawn by Magali Villeneuve

Bandini

Dumb. I literally saw merchant scroll at a couple bucks a few days ago.

It's not even essential for the deck that's making it spike. I traded into the deck yesterday on MTGO (so happy to drop Tron, deck is pretty annoying to play right now) and might add 1 for a bit more consistency but I'm not sweating it. I imagine it will drop down to around $5 soon

OnPoint

It's not even essential for the deck that's making it spike. I traded into the deck yesterday on MTGO (so happy to drop Tron, deck is pretty annoying to play right now) and might add 1 for a bit more consistency but I'm not sweating it. I imagine it will drop down to around $5 soon

Which deck is spiking it?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I didn't even know Merchant Scroll is Modern legal.

Yeah, the only reason I knew about it was that I was playing a Griselbrand-Oath of Druids-Storm deck (yeah I know, trust me it was hilarious) in MTGO Vintage for a while and I ran a singleton of it, but was surprised to find the only way I could get it was in 8th Edition white border.

Fun fact: Merchant Scroll is Restricted in Vintage, but not banned in either Modern or Legacy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess the CC fuckup does explain the merchant scroll spike, as it did not make any sense.

Being able to tutor Ancestral Recall might have something to do with that :p

I mean, Storm decks in and of themselves are kind of broken in Vintage, so a lot of cards that enable them are restricted even though they aren't in other formats; e.g. Lion's Eye Diamond, Brainstorm, Ponder. The ability to play Yawgmoth's Will kind of helps Storm be super good in that format.

Firemind

Yeah it seems so underpowered outside of Vintage. I cut Scroll from my EDH decks since Mystical and Personal Tutor are usually better.

Bandini

I actually thought that gave it a weakness since Ascension isn't vulnerable to the same kinds of removal. How does it even beat removal heavy decks?

Having 7 creatures instead of 4 helps a lot. It's usually not hard to find a replacement creature with your filtering cards. Also, often you can hold your creature until turn 3 or 4 when your opponent is tapped out and just drop it and go off.

Empty the Warrens is also strong against those decks, even storm count 4 or 5 is usually good enough.

The real killers are graveyard hate and hand disruption.

ironmang

Having 7 creatures instead of 4 helps a lot. It's usually not hard to find a replacement creature with your filtering cards. Also, often you can hold your creature until turn 3 or 4 when your opponent is tapped out and just drop it and go off.

Empty the Warrens is also very good against those decks, even storm count 4 or 5 is usually good enough.

The real killers are graveyard hate and hand disruption.

Many decks had very few answers to Ascension though if any and as the game went on the advantage it proved became pretty overwhelming. As someone who just recently put together grixis control, the new UR storm seems like one of my best matchups now. Like my hands would have to be pretty unfortunate for me to lose.

Angry Grimace

My biggest problem with having any interest in a deck that finishes with Grapeshot or Empty the Warrens is that WOTC fucking hates those decks.

Angry Grimace

If someone at my LGS picks up the deck I'm going to side in trickbind just for the heck of it.

Side in Mindbreak Trap for the hell of it.

When I used to play Pod I always played a singleton Eidolon of Rhetoric in the sideboard which literally wins the game by itself.

Angry Grimace

The problem with boarding in anything for Storm is that Storm isn't any good.
KuGsj.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Many decks had very few answers to Ascension though if any and as the game went on the advantage it proved became pretty overwhelming. As someone who just recently put together grixis control, the new UR storm seems like one of my best matchups now. Like my hands would have to be pretty unfortunate for me to lose.

A blue control deck good against storm? Why I never.

ironmang

A blue control deck good against storm? Why I never.

???

Storm was actually pretty good against slower, removal heavy decks before for the reason I gave. Now it's a super uphill battle. Before = "how do I beat this Ascension?" Now = "how could I possibly lose when I run 11+ cheap spot removal and 4 Snapcasters?" But please, snark away...

Angry Grimace

Pyromancer Ascension seems like a tough matchup for blue-based control to me, but I'm no expert with the deck.

Firemind

Pyromancer Ascension seems like a tough matchup for blue-based control to me, but I'm no expert with the deck.
It was actually a control deck before Modern when Faeries ran around rampant. Volcanic Fallout was a valid reason to play red. Didn't need Storm to win.

It evolved in Modern because of the turn 3/4 kills. That's what's ruining Modern at the moment. Either you have disruption or you lose.

Santiako

It was actually a control deck before Modern when Faeries ran around rampant. Volcanic Fallout was a valid reason to play red. Didn't need Storm to win.

It evolved in Modern because of the turn 3/4 kills. That's what's ruining Modern at the moment. Either you have disruption or you lose.

The latest Pyromancer Ascensions decks were not storm decks either. They kill you with burn and Things in the Ice. I haven't seen the deck since the Git Probe banning though.

Also, Modern is fine. Nothing is ruining modern.

ironmang

Nothing is ruining Modern at the moment.

Death's Shadow is probably the only deck with potential to be oppressive. Hard to effectively hate out the deck when it's an aggro deck with 8 pieces of hand disruption. Gotta lean pretty hard on Leyline of Sanctity lol. I'm having trouble thinking of any bad matchups for it.

traveler

Not Wario
Death's Shadow is probably the only deck with potential to be oppressive. Hard to effectively hate out the deck when it's an aggro deck with 8 pieces of hand disruption. Gotta lean pretty hard on Leyline of Sanctity lol. I'm having trouble thinking of any bad matchups for it.

I'd say the grixis control with fatal push is favored. You have burn to kill them if they drop too low, it's hard for them to control your hand with your cantrips/visions and snappys ability to reuse discarded spells, and you have 5+ removal spells that can kill durable threats between terminate and push.

Santiako

I'd say the grixis control with fatal push is favored. You have burn to kill them if they drop too low, it's hard for them to control your hand with your cantrips/visions and snappys ability to reuse discarded spells, and you have 5+ removal spells that can kill durable threats between terminate and push.

Jund, Junk, Abzan Coco, WR Prison also have good match ups against it. Some others like Merfolk, Affinity and Bant Eldrazi are 50/50. It's a great deck, quite possibly the best in Modern, but it's not oppressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom