• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just posted on Reddit
wcfek5mmygky.jpg

Good damn it I need that art and a Jhoira EDH deck and it's Villeneuve again. Did someone say Mind Over Matter Niv Mizzet?

Ashodin

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk jhoira is wearing the tolarian academy garb. I missed that stuff, I love the checkerboard design

Lovisa's art is fucking awesome, Anna is killing it

Jhriad

What's the situation where they start charging more money now than they would have otherwise? Worst case scenario is pretty much that entry fees stay high like they already were, best case is they go down again.

Oh, I wasn't making the argument that they were going up rather that I'm doubtful about them actually going down. GP Vegas is stupid expensive and while I'm hopeful that prices will decrease, I'll take an 'I'll believe it when I see it' approach for the time being.

If you weren't aware, GP Vegas is $100 per GP after April 1st and the side event pricing isn't very attractive either. For a city with relatively affordable convention center space, during a period where that space shouldn't be in high demand, that's not exactly competitive pricing.

Oh, I wasn't making the argument that they were going up rather that I'm doubtful about them actually going down. GP Vegas is stupid expensive and while I'm hopeful that prices will decrease, I'll take an 'I'll believe it when I see it' approach for the time being.

Oh, yeah, that's definitely fair. I think this is more likely to slow down advancement than actually produce a reduction.

Lovisa is just a Human? That's so weird. lol

Dumbasses at WotC think the great creature type fix was a bad idea for some reason so now we're stuck with insipid shit like this.

Crocodile

I really wish Lovisa wasn't a double-sided lord. I'd love to use her in my Tribal Cube. That duel deck comes out at the end of this month right?

Also WOW at the GP change. That's kind of a big deal no? I guess most people here don't go to enough GPs to care? I'd have expected more conversation about the topic (not that there is none - just less than I expected). I guess we will see if its a good thing in the long run. CFB is at least a great partner but I'm surprised SCG got shut out.

kirblar

I really wish Lovisa wasn't a double-sided lord. I'd love to use her in my Tribal Cube. That duel deck comes out at the end of this month right?

Also WOW at the GP change. That's kind of a big deal no? I guess most people here don't go to enough GPs to care? I'd have expected more conversation about the topic (not that there is none - just less than I expected). I guess we will see if its a good thing in the long run. CFB is at least a great partner but I'm surprised SCG got shut out.
SCG bowed out due to the SCG series, which makes sense.

Rafy

Finally got home.

Here's my draft haul for this week. It more than paid for the draft.

I also came home with a lot of Kaladesh commons and Uncommons the others donated, since I started playing with AER and was missing a lot of them.

ironmang

I think it's a much bigger deal from a spectator perspective. Not too confident that this will be much better for the people actually playing in the GPs. I'll be surprised if we ever see even $60 constructed GPs with playmats again.

I'm interested in seeing how this changes GP distribution in each region and if there will be less of them though.

I'm still missing a bunch of cards for me 4c Tower deck for tomorrow's FNM, hope they arrive in time or I'll have to substitute them with weird shit.
Dumbasses at WotC think the great creature type fix was a bad idea for some reason so now we're stuck with insipid shit like this.
This is about the first time I've seen you having a truly negative reaction to anything WoTC, that I can remember.

Wulfric

Terese Nielsen just posted the painting for Ajani's Aid on eBay: it's reached $3950 and counting. There's also an interesting write up and some in-progress shots on OMA. I can see this piece clearing $8000 easily, if Mother of Runes was any indication.

I mean, there's not much to say about it. SCG is focused on their own tour and CFB seems to have done a good job with GPs in the past. I also suspect CFB or WotC will be working with TOs like Hareruya in countries where English is not the local language.

On the other hand, I will miss Pastimes' Megabadge for side events. $140 for half a box and free events plus the playmat is great for people who don't like main events.

Because this results in there existing versions of cards that don't correctly identify what they are, even though even without the GCTU this happened when they reprinted old cards with incoherent types or with cards whose old templates are misleading, and even though in practice a few older cards with wrong types are easier to deal with than cards having completely nonsense types creatively.

This is about the first time I've seen you having a truly negative reaction to anything WoTC, that I can remember.

I have negative feelings about a bunch of things over there, like the second change to the Standard rotation or Mark Rosewater's ridiculously bad opinions about Eternal format color pie stuff
or them not picking me from the round of 101 in GDS2 but then all my best ideas showing up in later sets
) but usually I try to mediate a little because the MTG community as a whole is so relentlessly negative and toxic. Today I'm just in a really fucking bad mood for entirely unrelated reasons, lol.

I'm interested in seeing how this changes GP distribution in each region and if there will be less of them though.

At very least WotC's publicly stated position is that the total number of GPs will continue to increase once this kicks in, but distribution is definitely a big question mark.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For whatever reason the only place on the west coast that has SCG events of any kind is here in San Diego where we have Regionals every season.

Nissa's being printed one block after her last printing, in a story that doesn't seem like it would feature her significantly more than the rest of the Gatewatch. It feels like a death flag for me. I think Wizards is well aware that the audience expects the Gatewatch to be invincible and, even as they lose to Bolas, for them to suffer no casualties, so this is an easy way to play with expectations.

They did?
I could have sworn they did, but I can't find this information. Though in any case, the fact that neither this nor Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis had previews as the face cards indicates they plan on no longer having them.

Hero

Love that Jhoira art. I was so disappointed when she wasn't in FTV Legends but at least now she won't be part of that shitty foiling method so net positive here.

I could have sworn they did, but I can't find this information. Though in any case, the fact that neither this nor Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis had previews as the face cards indicates they plan on no longer having them.

For years they've done a split between thematic Duel Decks oriented to an upcoming set (which have all had previews since 2012's Izzet vs. Golgari) and planeswalker Duel Decks oriented to a past set (which never have previews.) I'm not sure having both face cards be reprints really tells us whether there are previews in the deck at all; the release timing doesn't make a ton of sense if there's no preview cards included.

I only specified face cards, but that's just because I misremembered Blessed vs. Cursed as not having a preview face card, when it in fact had Mindwrack Demon.

Ashodin

funny that as nissa's characterization gets better she will die

For years they've done a split between thematic Duel Decks oriented to an upcoming set (which have all had previews since 2012's Izzet vs. Golgari) and planeswalker Duel Decks oriented to a past set (which never have previews.) I'm not sure having both face cards be reprints really tells us whether there are previews in the deck at all; the release timing doesn't make a ton of sense if there's no preview cards included.

Suspend and Tribal Themes in Amonkhet CONFIRMED

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nissa has to die because clearly the gatewatch can only have one non human member. Too many and how will people relate?

Santiako

Nissa's being printed one block after her last printing, in a story that doesn't seem like it would feature her significantly more than the rest of the Gatewatch. It feels like a death flag for me. I think Wizards is well aware that the audience expects the Gatewatch to be invincible and, even as they lose to Bolas, for them to suffer no casualties, so this is an easy way to play with expectations.

They've invested a lot of time and money into establishing the origins 5 as the face of the game, they are not going to kill one of them after only using them for 2 years.

Nissa dying right now makes absolutely no sense. I'm fully expecting someone to die/get hit hard by the Bolas Freight Train, but Nissa has no easy replacement for the Jacetice League. Like, of characters I'd expect to die, I'd put her in the bottom.

The two most likely to die/get wrecked in Amonkhet is either Jace or Gideon, and I'm fully behind either getting smacked. Jace's death would also create an actual story for Ravnica 3, as how the hell would Ravnica accept that A) Niv-Mizzet was right about Planeswalkers, B) The Living Guildpact was officially one, and C) Said Living Guildpact is now dead as X other crisis flares up(Guildpact Dead+ Azorius Senate getting offed by Vraska?)

Gideon would be fun, because he's been painted as this unstoppable badass warrior. What happens when an unstoppable warrior meets an unkillable Dragon? Gideon was effectively the rallying core for the Gatewatch, and I can't think of a better way to shake up the Gatewatch then Gideon dying/being put out of commission for a period. Plus, I'm 90% certain that Gideon's "soul" belongs to Erebos, considering his spark activation, and there's all kinds of fun spiritual/metaplane physics you could get into with that.

Chandra can't die because she literally just got a block about her finally reuniting with her mother. Nissa can't because she promised ASHAYA!!! she'd return for her. Lilianna still has the whole Chain Veil Business to attend to. Ajani's mourning Elspeth and was just added(Plus we know is on boosters for Atlazan block). In terms of "Characters who can die that would create interesting narratives", Gideon/Jace make the most sense.

Lol like Wizards actually would kill off Gideon/Jace, because "MY PROMOTIONS". The most I'm expecting is the Gatewatch to be scattered, not anyone actually die./

They won't kill a Gatewatch member, but Bolas should take one of them hostage or something. Maybe do some magic stuff and turn them evil temporarily.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
There's no way they kill off any of the Gatewatch before the movie is released (and crashes and burns at the box office).

red13th

Not sure what to expect of a (supposedly) tribal wizard duel deck with Jhoira.
Lovisa makes sense for warrior tribal, but Jhoira seems weird.

Modern Masters 2017 mailbag
* Fetch lands were in from the start, so no Standard rotation based rush to take them out of Amonkhet.
* The threshold to include a mechanic is at least three cards, which is why Noble Hierarch didn't get in. Same with Kitchen Finks.
* In MM2015, they focused more on cards with low availability in general, as opposed to Modern staples. They have since adjusted that.
* Merfolk was an early theme, but there weren't enough white ones to work as the set became more multicolor.
* Death's Shadow's inclusion was luck. They included some cards from lower tier decks they have their eye on.
* They won't seed a card they planned to unban. That would mean they knew they were going to unban it a year ahead of time, and thus were keeping it banned longer than it needed to be.

Also, unrelated, it occurs to me that MM19 will likely have a morph theme, due to the inclusion of Tarkir block.

red13th

What makes you say it's a tribal wizard deck? Jhoira makes perfect sense at the helm of an Izzet big-spells list.

"Mind vs. Might represents the age-old clash between mages and warriors, brains and brawn. Clever plots or raw power-which will you choose?"
This. But I might have read too much into it.

"Mind vs. Might represents the age-old clash between mages and warriors, brains and brawn. Clever plots or raw power-which will you choose?"
I mean, this doesn't exactly exclude "Big Spells". I mean, we've got Goblin Electromancer as a Wizard in UR that works well with big spells.

* The threshold to include a mechanic is at least three cards, which is why Noble Hierarch didn't get in. Same with Kitchen Finks.

On first blush I feel like this "at least three cards with the mechanic" rule is pretty dumb, but it does explain a lot of the decisions in this set -- I think almost every significant absence is covered by either the three-cards-per-mechanic rule, overlap with Kaladesh Inventions, or a squeeze for space with a higher priority reprint. Since this set came out pretty good I guess it's forgivable, but I think they're still gonna have to up their reprint outlets a bit if this is how it's gonna work.

Yeah, I'm just guessing it's more Electromancer/Wee Dragonauts/etc. type shit than tribal proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom