• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Top 32 lists posted for GP Barca, so here are the archtypes in the Top 32

Mardu 12
Copycat 9
BG 6
Temur Marvel 3
BR Eldrazi 1
Temur Tower 1

bigkrev

what made Modern actually watchable and honestly pretty amazing?

It turns out that banning Probe and Troll without unbanning anything actually made the format great? There's like two dozen decks you can play and reasonably expect to with a tournament with

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It turns out that banning Probe and Troll without unbanning anything actually made the format great? There's like two dozen decks you can play and reasonably expect to with a tournament with

Bububu Twin and Jace! And they killed Storm!

See! Green is the new blue. Also I'm not sure Maro has actually read anything regarding Urza if he seriously thinks that.

To clarify, MaRo is arguing that Urza is all five colors. When asked about what makes Urza green, he pointed out that the eugenics stuff with Gerard was Simic-like.

The hell. He is the most non green character I can think of.

I mean the specific argument is that he's 5C, which is understandable, just, like, also wrong.

When asked about what makes Urza green, he pointed out that the eugenics stuff with Gerard was Simic-like.

It really isn't at all, though, unless you make an absolute insistence that anything biology related must be green innately.

See! Green is the new blue. Also I'm not sure Maro has actually read anything regarding Urza if he seriously thinks that.

In fairness, he's specifically said that he disengaged from the WL story after they took it away from him and made it dumb and shitty.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Somehow, Storm is better right now than its been in years?

I know. Thats the joke. The extra hilarious part is the ascension deck everyone was pointing to that got killed wasnt even a storm deck. It used Thing flip and Bolts/Helixes with an active Ascension to win.

I liked that deck too.

Urza circa invasion is 5 colors, the younger versions of Urza are Esper/mono blue

The defining characteristic of Urza as a character is that he doesn't believe in predestination or inevitability except what he can create with his own plans. He's actively hostile throughout his entire story to the idea that there's a "natural" way of things, or that you should leave anything well enough alone, or that it's okay for a society to develop without a firm intellectual hand guiding it. When they talk about how a four-color character would be defined by their opposition to the missing color, Urza is like a perfect example.

FWIW I think Urza was already showing plenty of Esper tendencies early on. The Brothers' War storyline makes perfect sense as a conflict (on both philosophical and emotional levels) between Esper and Grixis. After the war Urza picks up red in part out of some unconscious emulation of his brother, I think.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The defining characteristic of Urza as a character is that he doesn't believe in predestination or inevitability except what he can create with his own plans. He's actively hostile throughout his entire story to the idea that there's a "natural" way of things, or that you should leave anything well enough alone, or that it's okay for a society to develop without a firm intellectual hand guiding it. When they talk about how a four-color character would be defined by their opposition to the missing color, Urza is like a perfect example.

FWIW I think Urza was already showing plenty of Esper tendencies early on. The Brothers' War storyline makes perfect sense as a conflict (on both philosophical and emotional levels) between Esper and Grixis. After the war Urza picks up red in part out of some unconscious emulation of his brother, I think.

I think he becomes Grixis dominate with a little white left.

bigkrev

I still don't understand the mindset behind foiling entire decks. I like a little bling but the whole deck being shiny is hideous to me.

For non-rotating formats, where you are playing the same deck for years, it gives you something to do. With Standard, you are constantly getting new cards and seeing new things, so the idea of slowly building to your ultimate deck is appealing. I've been doing something like this slowly over the years with my affinity deck- I have WPN Vault Skirges and Signal Pests, Gameday Full-art Memnites, Antiquities Ornithopters, Russian Springleaf Drums, and foil Darksteel Citadels.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Query: Does anyone think we will see a new card supertype ever and if so what could it be?

Related: Will we ever see tribal cards again?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Query: Does anyone think we will see a new card supertype ever and if so what could it be?

Maro specifically says "no" to Tribal, but he said things like that about Madness too.

I'm sure a new supertype will exist, but there'd need to be a specific reason, e.g. some rule doesn't let a card exist without a supertype (which is how Tribal came about).

bigkrev

Lets see how healthy Standard is
vvCvHXu.png

Granted he had 3 byes and thus missed the rouge decks in the early rounds, but only playing against 2 archtypes the whole tournament!

Yes, and no idea what it will be

No, like everything else in Lorywn that wasn't Planeswalkers, it was deemed a failure and something we will never see again. Pretty sure Maro answered a question recently that said it was more likely that we get a new Fairytale plane than we get a return to Lorwyn

For non-rotating formats, where you are playing the same deck for years, it gives you something to do. With Standard, you are constantly getting new cards and seeing new things, so the idea of slowly building to your ultimate deck is appealing. I've been doing something like this slowly over the years with my affinity deck- I have WPN Vault Skirges and Signal Pests, Gameday Full-art Memnites, Antiquities Ornithopters, Russian Springleaf Drums, and foil Darksteel Citadels.
I don't consider modern as that constant, affinity is almost an outlier in that sense but even there lands and in particular the sideboard changes repeatedly. It hasn't been until last year Affinity started sideboarding Blood Moon for instance.
Heck I'm having trouble figuring out a sideboard for my Fish.

Imagine someone locking into RG tron, having it foiled out makes any meta adjustments that much more expensive.

Lastly I'd just like to play more formats or decks over having it shiny.

hermit7

I still don't understand the mindset behind foiling entire decks. I like a little bling but the whole deck being shiny is hideous to me.

Foiling my Nath stax edh deck right now.

I am not sure why to be honest but it is fun for me to do.

I also really like the deck and don't think that I would tear it apart.

Also foiling now opens up some staples for other decks I am in the process of building which I think is nice.

Urza is fairly explicitly everything BUT green. It's pretty baked into the story. The bloodlines project was facilitated through artifice, and Urza's general adherence to artifice puts him at odds with green. Using all colors doesn't really make him an all colors character.

Todd Stevens' deck makes me cry with joy. I wish there was room in the main board for Arbiter/Mindcensor because that's just the spiciest spice.

In terms of Standard, I'm fully on the "Ban Gideon, Felidar, Aetherworks Marvel, and Constrictor" train. It's kind of absurdist that they've printed a 4 Mana walker that is deemed good enough for Legacy and has dominated the format since his printing in BFZ. He's one of 3 non land cards that sees play from BFZ iirc, and the others are so less prevalent.

Here's the list of things that Gideon does for 4 Mana:
Shit out a 2/2 each turn
Become an indestructible 5/5 that gains the text "Crew Heart of Kiran for Free once this turn cycle"
Create an Anthem that turns all future Gideon Tokens into Heart of Kiran Crewers.

Like, you remove Gideon and suddenly Heart of Kiran's alternative crew cost is now an actual COST.

Maro specifically says "no" to Tribal, but he said things like that about Madness too.

I'm sure a new supertype will exist, but there'd need to be a specific reason, e.g. some rule doesn't let a card exist without a supertype (which is how Tribal came about).
What rule requires Tribal supertype? Like to me it seems that with only a few small changes they could get rid of tribal super type and still have creature subtypes on noncreatures.

Jhriad

It turns out that banning Probe and Troll without unbanning anything actually made the format great?

Really wish they'd stop saying the Probe ban is the reason why Infect is on the downswing though.

It gives you an avenue to continue upgrading/collecting cards that make your deck more unique. It's unfortunate that so many promos with unique art are foil otherwise I'd seriously consider foiling out my decks more. The shitty foiling process curling with the slightest bit of humidity here in Texas keeps me from seriously considering it.

Really wish they'd stop saying the Probe ban is the reason why Infect is on the downswing though.

It gives you an avenue to continue upgrading/collecting cards that make your deck more unique. It's unfortunate that so many promos with unique art are foil otherwise I'd seriously consider foiling out my decks more. The shitty foiling process curling with the slightest bit of humidity here in Texas keeps me from seriously considering it.

Well, the Probe ban is a part of the decrease of Infect. Probe gave you information, fueled Become Immense, and drew a card for 2 life. Push being a card now definitely hurts Infect, but Infect now lacking the ability to see if the coast is clear hurts it just as much.

I do think Infect will bounce back, it's just I don't know in what form. Become Immense is probably out (and I could see something else leaving with it, maybe a less painful manabase now that BI is gone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom