• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Wizards was open for swapping cards, I'd totally say they should unban Preordain but ban Pact of Negation so Ad Nasaeum doesn't get free Counterspells+Best Cantrips. Also ban the monkey.

I'd still argue that Bant Eldrazi/Death's Shadow aren't really white decks, because both run White more as a splash for 1/2 cards that works really, really well with their gameplan. The same argument could be made about Abzan Company pre-Rallier+Saffi+Anafenza combo(with regards to the combo at least) and it really only needed Black and Green

Soul Sisters/D&T/ Ad Naseum are definitely White though, but all three remain in the "Never won a GP" camp iirc, which even Skred can lay claim to.

One big issue is that people don't see Control and Tempo as two sides of the same coin.

One is Disruption, then threats, the other is Threats, then disruption.
I mean, the best Tempo creature (Delver of Secrets) can't reliably flip in Modern, and I'd argue that the tools to protect him aren't exactly setting the format on fire.

I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that Blue Tempo isn't in a much better spot then Control(Both are tier 2 though and Modern has had tier 3 decks win GPs before, so I'm unsure of why Blue needs to be tier 1 to be good in the format)

What could they even unban that would possibly make a draw/go style blue control deck a tier 1 Modern deck?

Even if counterspell was legal in Modern, I can't imagine it really being format warping. I honestly think they would need to print something new that would alter blue's color identity to put something in Modern that allows blue to proactively stabilize before turn three.

bigkrev

As far as white decks go, Eldrazi and Taxes is a Tier 2/2.5 deck that is mono white splashing black for Tidehollow, Wasteland Strangler and Fatal Push. We are also at a point where a Mono-Blue deck is actually good in the format and putting results up.... but it's Merfolk and not a Control deck, so no one counts it

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
What could they even unban that would possibly make a draw/go style blue control deck a tier 1 Modern deck?

Even if counterspell was legal in Modern, I can't imagine it really being format warping. I honestly think they would need to print something new that would alter blue's color identity to put something in Modern that allows blue to proactively stabilize before turn three.

Blue Lightning
U
Instant

Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. Draw a card.

OnPoint

As far as white decks go, Eldrazi and Taxes is a Tier 2/2.5 deck that is mono white splashing black for Tidehollow, Wasteland Strangler and Fatal Push. We are also at a point where a Mono-Blue deck is actually good in the format and putting results up.... but it's Merfolk and not a Control deck, so no one counts it

I think this is a good point. It's blue, but it's not "blue". I dunno, I think the format is better without draw-go chillin around, ruining the fun for everyone.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man the twin bitching is incessant. They dont care if Modern is diverse or not. Just that a blue deck be tier 1.
Heh, you read that Reddit thread too huh? Why would they unban literally anything when the format is healthy and thriving right now? Honestly, I don't think Twin was all that oppressive, but at the same time, I wasn't sad to see it go, either. It just wins the game too cheap and too fast.

I think this is a good point. It's blue, but it's not "blue". I dunno, I think the format is better without draw-go chillin around, ruining the fun for everyone.

The reason JTMS isn't going to ever be unbanned is that making it so that the format revolves around who resolves Jace first is a terrifying prospect. Preordain does an inherently shitty thing in a format filled with combos. Ponder is worse than Preordain. Draw Go control will never be Tier 1 in Modern because the format is inherently hostile to it. The only things that get played in the format are cheap value or noninteractive combos. Jace doesn't enable Draw Go control. Jace enables Tempo decks that race to resolve Jace.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The best answer I can think of for resolving unban arguments is that they should open the MTGO public beta for a couple weeks with a proposed unban tested and let everyone (including pro) take a shot at breaking a card. Since it doesn't involve anything new, there's no inherent advantage given to anyone trying it and they get real world data.

Edit: that was supposed to be an edit, not a legendary hat trick post

OnPoint

The reason JTMS isn't going to ever be unbanned is that making it so that the format revolves around who resolves Jace first is a terrifying prospect. Preordain does an inherently shitty thing in a format filled with combos. Ponder is worse than Preordain. Draw Go control will never be Tier 1 in Modern because the format is inherently hostile to it. The only things that get played in the format are cheap value or noninteractive combos. Jace doesn't enable Draw Go control. Jace enables Tempo decks that race to resolve Jace.

Sure. I don't want Jace unbanned.

Lemme get in here before you go for 4-post your way to victory.

Angry Grimace

In what world is Ponder worse than Preordain? lol
If you have Flamespeaker Adept out. =V

Actually, the above is correct - I mean that Ponder is worse than Preordain in the sense that its worse for the format, not that Ponder is a worse card. To me, the Probe ban does not suggest to me that they're looking to unban another possibly busted cantrip.

Blue Lightning
U
Instant

Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. Draw a card.

I was thinking of something more like a blue version of Goyf or Death's Shadow.

Something like:

Tolarian Outcast

( one blue )

Tap Reveal an instant or sorcery from your hand: Tolarian Outcast gets +3/+3 until end of turn.

Prowess
1/1

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I was thinking of something more like a blue version of Goyf or Death's Shadow.

Something like:

Tolarian Outcast

( one blue )

Tap Reveal an instant or sorcery from your hand: Tolarian Outcast gets +3/+3 until end of turn.

Prowess
1/1

For some reason I find it really funny that that would be strictly better not only than Shock but also than Needle Drop...

I was being facetious—by making an overpowered Red card in Blue.

I didn't even know Needle Drop existed!

Yeef

He does? I thought Rosewater was kinda into the ninjas.
Rosewater likes Ninja and Ninjitsu (he's the one that created the mechanic), but thinks that it's too complex for common and that there isn't a ton of design space left for it.

Until you start getting into First Strike, saboteur effects, in general, have a pretty narrow design band, in my opinion. Ninjitsu also plays a bit unintuitively with planeswalkers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rosewater likes Ninja and Ninjitsu (he's the one that created the mechanic), but thinks that it's too complex for common and that there isn't a ton of design space left for it.

Until you start getting into First Strike, saboteur effects, in general, have a pretty narrow design band, in my opinion. Ninjitsu also plays a bit unintuitively with planeswalkers.

How so?

Angry Grimace

It requires an exception to the general rule that a creature which is placed onto the battlefield attacking will attack whoever its controller chooses to attack.

Ninjutsu requires the ninja to attack the same players or planeswalker. Technically it also lets you do weird shit where you flash the Ninja in at End of Combat or something, although I don't really know how useful that is.

There probably is more space for them, they just need to have a more clever ability than "when CARDNAME deals combat damage, something cool happens." The issue is that it could get pretty complicated. I could see them just using Ninjutsu as an un-named ability so they could functionally reprint Ninja of the Deep Hours in a set, I guess.

Everyone here is forgetting the bluest of blue decks in Modern: Taking Turns.
I'm not forgetting it, I just hate the deck with every part of my being.

It's up there with Ponza IMO, where the actual win condition isn't winning, it's forcing your opponent to contemplate murder because you aim to suck all the fun out of the game. At least with Lantern there's some counter play- Taking Turns/Ponza just want to get to a point where you have to watch them play with themselves for 4+ turns before they draw a win condition.

I'm not forgetting it, I just hate the deck with every part of my being.

It's up there with Ponza IMO, where the actual win condition isn't winning, it's forcing your opponent to contemplate murder because you aim to suck all the fun out of the game. At least with Lantern there's some counter play- Taking Turns/Ponza just want to get to a point where you have to watch them play with themselves for 4+ turns before they draw a win condition.

That describes a bunch of uninteractive combo decks the difference is those are actually good

bigkrev

Listen, nothing gives me more joy than casting a Stone Rain on my opponent. I'm happy there is a format where I can actually do that and still feel like I have a chance to 4-0 my FNM!

ajf009

I have a quick rules question.. i thought-knot seer, my opponent responds with the ability on the stack by fetching and fatal pushing it. can my opponent respond to my thought knot seer's effects in between the draw & exile with a the card that he draws (surgical extration) cast tragetting my thought-knot before i exile a card from their hand? Basically just a question of timing and order. Really wondering whats going on right now..

I have a quick rules question.. i thought-knot seer, my opponent responds with the ability on the stack by fetching and fatal pushing it. can my opponent respond to my thought knot seer's effects in between the draw & exile with a the card that he draws (surgical extration) cast tragetting my thought-knot before i exile a card from their hand? Basically just a question of timing and order. Really wondering whats going on right now..
Yes

Just want to get the order straight

Your turn you play TKS it resolves put ETB ability on the stack, opponent gets priority fetches and casts fatal push with revolt, TKS dies and its LTB effect triggers, both players pass priority opponent draws a card. Now once he has priority again he casts surgical extraction targeting TKS in the graveyard and once that resolved the ETB finally resolves letting you exile.

ajf009

Yes

Just want to get the order straight

Your turn you play TKS it resolves put ETB ability on the stack, opponent gets priority fetches and casts fatal push with revolt, TKS dies and its LTB effect triggers, both players pass priority opponent draws a card. Now once he has priority again he casts surgical extraction targeting TKS in the graveyard and once that resolved the ETB finally resolves letting you exile.

Dirty as fuck. What a draw- he won btw.

Angry Grimace

Having opened a box of this set, I would say it seems good.

2bZ5GSj.jpg

Wild speculation: They finish the Storage Land cycle in Amonkhet.

I dunno, you store shit in tombs or something? I just kinda want that cycle to be done :)

Angry Grimace

Fun fact: I literally bought that box in the middle of the night out of the back of a guy's pickup truck in an empty parking lot.

It's not as seedy as it sounds, but it does sort of sound like fencing goods and/or a drug deal.

e795a0daa04d99868da910e62b371baf.png

Just, y'know, in case anyone was still doubtful.
I mean, for what it's worth, 25 makes more sense (5^2) then 20 did for a big blowout celebration.

Return to Dominaria though has to be Planeswalker Masterpieces though, right? Or something equally awesome. Maybe future Sight Frame on Planeswalkers or something?

Ashodin

I mean, for what it's worth, 25 makes more sense (5^2) then 20 did for a big blowout celebration.

Return to Dominaria though has to be Planeswalker Masterpieces though, right? Or something equally awesome. Maybe future Sight Frame on Planeswalkers or something?

are you kidding? Legendary Creatures. They're going to blow that load, and blow it HARD.

Commander players are going to go absolutely insane for those masterpieces.

Return to Dominaria though has to be Planeswalker Masterpieces though, right?

This is like the easiest one to do because you don't have to do a card type, you can just do historically/storyline significant cards. You can do a bunch of legends, important places, popular and prominent artifacts, the works.

Commander players are going to go absolutely insane for those masterpieces.

Yeah this is a rare opportunity to print some ultra-pimp commanders.

bigkrev

Masterpiece Series using the Old Frame (similar to some Judge Foils) would be cool

Lucario

This is like the easiest one to do because you don't have to do a card type, you can just do historically/storyline significant cards. You can do a bunch of legends, important places, popular and prominent artifacts, the works.

Can't wait to open masterpiece Mightstone and Weakstone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom