• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Nah.

19211.jpg
swordoffireandice-foil.jpg
3248819b6133a3a3a1e3de631e6f018b.jpg

Ooccoo

Modern Masters 2017 is the nuts. At least to me. Though at $280 CAD I couldn't afford more than 2 for now.

Notable pulls:

Damnation foil (+2 non-foils)
Blood Moon
Snapcaster Mage
Each box had 3 fetches (Total: Misty x2, Verdant x2, Arid and Marsh Flats)
Spell Pierce foil
Path to Exile foil
Snapcaster Mage
Linvala
Goblin Guide
Inquisition x2

Notable misses
Tarmo and Lily. Got 2x Entreat the Angels though /puke

Very satisfied so far. Even if the boxes are costly, I managed to get more value. I wouldn't recommend buying packs though, the lottery is damn high. A box is worthwhile if you can get it cheapish (not too much higher than MSRP) but our dollar sucks so I took a chance (two in fact).

Maro once claimed they literally can't print pre-M15 frame cards. Yeah.

This one actually makes sense to me as a "Maro repeating something he was told without all the nuance" thing though. They mentioned how they were actually physically changing their printing setups to utilize the machine-readable bottom text once M15 came out; I can easily believe that this is an obstacle to doing a classic-frame promo again since now it would be a special type of print batch. If you're the guy who works in that production department I can never remember the name of, you definitely tell Maro it's impossible and not that it's "kind of inconvenient" or whatever.

If that's all the case, it might actually be easier to do a full inset like Masterpieces this way than to do a single promo, since then they'd have more production budget and a larger print run to figure it out in.

noquarter

Having opened a box of this set, I would say it seems good.
Nice pulls. Pretty much what I was hoping my box would be so will probably be Entreat, Past and Domri Rade with my luck (all cards I already have at least playsets of as well) along with Arid Mesa and Marsh Flats :(

Went to go pick up my box and apparently the truck hasn't shown up yet. Guess they are getting them very last minute. They hopefully have them in in time to draft tonight, really don't think I will stay for AAK draft.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think it's simpler- they're not willing to do rares w/o the holomark going forward.

You could still do something retro-modern or as close to it as possible.

It certainly wouldn't look exact, but I would assume they'd be foiled out with new art anyways.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

It certainly wouldn't look exact, but I would assume they'd be foiled out with new art anyways.

This is slick. Loses a bit of its effectiveness for cards that were printed with the old border, but still cool.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is slick. Loses a bit of its effectiveness for cards that were printed with the old border, but still cool.

Masterpiece stuff all gets new art anyways; hell, so far they all have new borders too. I think if you wanted to do it, you would probably market it as some kind of hybrid modern/legacy frame.

Angry Grimace

The biggest problem with the old frames is that the art they used in the old frames was better suited for those frames. The whole CG art aesthetic they go for these days might look a bit weird in those frames.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just watched a Numot cube game where he Bolas ultimated himself to kill his own Abyssal Persecutor for the win.

Old font or no sale.

It still baffles me that they made that new font for anti-counterfitting purposes and then put the font up on their website for anyone to have access too.

Angry Grimace

Old font or no sale.

It still baffles me that they made that new font for anti-counterfitting purposes and then put the font up on their website for anyone to have access too.

You can't really market them as straight up "old frame" these days given the restriction on printing, so you might as well market them as a retro run rather than a full on old-frame reprint.

Jhriad

Having opened a box of this set, I would say it seems good.

Grats on the sick box!

It's hauls like this that tempt me toward buying a box when I know I'll almost certainly open 24 Stoic Angel equivalents. Now I've got to stay strong and resist the urge to buy any MM3.

Wulfric

Old font or no sale.

You don't mean the .tff file do you? I guess you can just extract the letters from the website, but IDK how you would do that.

Howard Lyon's new Avacyn has a small writeup over on Muddy Colors. It's also being included in Spectrum 24! Of course she's positioned diagonally again, but most MTG angels look kinda weird anyhow.

hlsMvWX.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't like that Avacyn much, it's hard to tell which direction she's moving in. Her spear would imply she's crashing down into the demon but her body is definitely poised to move to the top right.

Korgill

MM3 was my first ever box purchase. Were you supposed to get a buy-a-box pack with it? I did and pulled Liliana the Last Hope so I'm not complaining.

Santiako

MM3 was my first ever box purchase. Were you supposed to get a buy-a-box pack with it? I did and pulled Liliana the Last Hope so I'm not complaining.

If you got a Liliana the Last Hope you should definitely complain since someone sneaked an Eldritch Moon pack in there lol.

Angry Grimace

If you got a Liliana the Last Hope you should definitely complain since someone sneaked an Eldritch Moon pack in there lol.

Buy a Box bonus packs are a new product WOTC provides retailers with after they run out of the foil promos that are identical to Standard Showdown packs.

Wulfric

Not officially, but I supposes stores can give those out as incentives for buying a box. It's up to the store really.

Yeef

Technically the current buy-a-box packs are only supposed to be for Kaladesh boxes, but I don't think anyone really cares.

Angry Grimace

Not officially, but I supposes stores can give those out as incentives for buying a box. It's up to the store really.

It's for "buying a Box" I'm sure its fine under the WOTC rules. I'm guessing they'd rather give those away now as opposed to just keeping them around after Amonkhet when people will consider them less good since its half soon to be rotating cards.

Tunoku

Drafted Modern Master three times today. It was absolutely insane. It was a really small store(Familienoberhauptvogel can confirm that) doing on demand drafts starting at 2pm. People actually had to stand in line and not manage to get in a pod. I could have drafted four times but was just way too exhausted to get a reasonable deck. In total, there were 15 drafts and a 12 person Modern tournament happened as well. People opened some insane shit. For example, one dude opened a Tarn and a foil Liliana in one pack. But the thing that tops it all: a kid got a Catacombs and a FOIL Goyf in his pack during the draft. They let him buy another pack to not drop. And what does he pull? ANOTHER Tharmogoyf.

My pulls were decent but nothing crazy:

- Blood Moon
- Sclading Tarn
- Gifts Ungiven
- Foil Grafidgger's Cage
- Path to Exile
- Inquisition of Kozilek
- Misty Rainforest
- Foil Past in Flames

The three drafts cost me 105€ in total.

Btw, set is crazy fun to draft as well. Enough to support multiple 4-5 color decks. Closer to cube than regular limited I'd say.

EDIT: Gonna upload pics once I get home.

It was standard and legacy actually. I went 0-3 in standard before dropping for draft. Went 2-1 in draft.

Now that I have a LoTV #UnbanBraids.

Didn't the guy open a tarn and foil misty? at least that's what I hear. Also got a couple more fetches.

Oh that I can confirm. Super tiny store. Imagine a family home garage , that's about it. Pretty sad actually Magiccorner used to be 2 or 3 times the size of Spielraum.

Black supports Liliana so well. Whenever I resolved her I was able to hellbent my opponents within a few turns. So much discard. I splashed white for 2 Sin Collectors and 2 Unburial Rites.

Tunoku

Alright, here is the haul and also the deck from the third draft, which I went 3-0 in (splitting packs in the finals).

Can't find my Inquisition RIP.

Probably didn't need to splash for the Specter, but it was basically free as I ended up with 10 blue, 10 black, 9, white, and 5 red sources. Wish I had another card in the 5 drop range, but I still had plenty of stuff to do with my mana in the late game and sometimes I would just run over my opponents with my fliers. Lost two games, one was to a miraculous Bonfire of the Damned and the other was because I ran out of cards in my deck.

traveler

Not Wario

Well, thats weird

Apparently, its a wrath that hits creatures for 3. Not sure whats going on with the sideways half.

Edit: Ok, apparently the bottom half is a different spell that can only be cast out of your graveyard by exiling it. So it's basically a split card flashback hybrid. While I'm interested to see where this design goes, man, is that template hideous.

Tunoku

So the first half is Wrath for power 3 or greater and the second one is return everything with power 2 or less to the BF?

EDIT: Ah ok, just read Freedom Frisbee's explanation.

Wichu

Text spoiler:

Dusk 2WW
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures with power 3 or greater.

//

Dawn 3WW
Sorcery
Consequence (Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it.)
Return all creature cards with power 2 or less from your graveyard to your hand.

traveler

Not Wario
Worth noting that some are rightly skeptical, given the count present in the bottom. 269 total when Amonkhet is supposed to have 264.

Still, this is just so.... weird looking, I'd have trouble believing anyone would pitch it as a fake. FWIW, I also reverse image searched just the art and nothing popped up.

Tunoku

Doesn't Amonkhet have 5 basic lands in it? Would add to 269 going from 264. I feel like it's really hard to fake a photo like that one, but we'll see.

traveler

Not Wario
So if graveyard hate does show in this block as many have speculated, this will mark the first block in 4 or so where Wizards has actually printed hate targeting a space thematically relevant to the block itself. Hopefully, this happens and we'll finally start to see development shift back towards putting answers in things.

Flip cards are already awkward, but also loveable, this is outright hideous. They are accelerating too quickly with alternate frames, SOI just had Meld cards and now this monstrosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom