• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunoku

Oh, I just realized something. You know what card goes well with that new dragon?

arlinn-kord.png

Get dunked on.

Ashodin

I'd be interested to see what the other exert colors can do, because if there's a 3 mana dude that exerts to say, add GG to your mana pool next turn, yum yum.

Santiako

Kiora is just a bad pw.

I'd be interested to see what the other exert colors can do, because if there's a 3 mana dude that exerts to say, add GG to your mana pool next turn, yum yum.

Yeah, exert seems kinda narrow since its only an on attack trigger, but I'm really wondering what kind of effect they'll do.

Tunoku

I don't think Extert has to be limited to damage for red. I could see some draft common giving itself menace to then take a turn off. Like a 2/1 First Strike with Exert:Menace seems fair.

bigkrev

Fluctuator spike kind of makes sense? It was part of the redeption program from 1999, where you could mail in one of the banned rares in Standard (Earthcraft, Dream Halls, Mind over Matter, Recurring Nightmare, Fluctuator, Time Spiral, Tolarian Academy, and Memory Jar) and get a free booster of that set, which means there are probably less copies of it in circulation than a normal Saga rare.

Constructed playable reprint (and new card for Modern!)
C8MjMXnXUAA5m1H.jpg

Kind of insulting for them to print this in a format where counterspells aren't remotely playable
C8Mi1LLXkAA0LKC.jpg

I don't think Extert has to be limited to damage for red.

Besides gaining combat abilities, the other obvious effects I can think of are tapping down lands, looting, and quick-draw. Heck, given that this is a graveyard-y block you could put a Snapcaster effect on an Exert creature pretty easily.

OnPoint

Cat snake? What sound does it make when it purrs/hisses?

Also, the Renewed Faith art/flavor text says Gideon is DEFINITELY having a 'come to jesus' moment with at least one of the deities. I bet this is how they end up not getting wiped out after losing to Bolas.

Santiako

C8MjMXnXUAA5m1H.jpg

Kind of insulting for them to print this in a format where counterspells aren't remotely playable
C8Mi1LLXkAA0LKC.jpg

Nice. Renewed Faith was a standard staple last time and the cat snake is some serious power creep damn.

OnPoint

Also, there's a small chance that one of the very good counterspells in the already spoiled Invocations will be standard legal. Which is safe for Modern? Man, I leave such judgments up to y'all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wonder if they just rolled a dice. Like they have mammals on one list and reptiles on another. Then they rolled 2d20 and that was their new chimera type.

y2dvd

Temur Tower looking like it will stay relevant. Glad the cat/snake is a 4/3 vs 3/4.

As a cat owner, the aesthetics of the cat/snake creeps me out!

Fluctuator spike kind of makes sense? It was part of the redeption program from 1999, where you could mail in one of the banned rares in Standard (Earthcraft, Dream Halls, Mind over Matter, Recurring Nightmare, Fluctuator, Time Spiral, Tolarian Academy, and Memory Jar) and get a free booster of that set, which means there are probably less copies of it in circulation than a normal Saga rare.

C8MjMXnXUAA5m1H.jpg

C8Mi1LLXkAA0LKC.jpg

That last card is just..

Thanks Wizards, hope this means we get better counters?

Also, totally betting the Amonkhet Story focuses on Gideon trying to prove his worth in the Trials so he can get "Murdered" by the gods, only to not die because "I'm indestructible!!" Gideon not dying will cause something to trigger within Amonkhet bringing Bolas back.

bigkrev

Lets Rank Snake on the list of previous Standard 3-drops that people thought would be good but really did nothing in Standard:
C8MwfhhUAAAcE70.jpg
C8MwfhUU0AAY8Pe.jpg
C8MwfhjUIAAtBO5.jpg

Better than Big Nucks, worse than Brimaz and Daybreak Ranger?

El Topo

Oh man, that cat snake is going to wreck all those dominant Standard control decks that rely on counterspells. Joke aside, nice card.

Lets Rank Snake on the list of previous Standard 3-drops that people thought would be good but really did nothing in Standard:
C8MwfhhUAAAcE70.jpg
C8MwfhUU0AAY8Pe.jpg
C8MwfhjUIAAtBO5.jpg

Better than Big Nucks, worse than Brimaz and Daybreak Ranger?

Better then Ranger, worse then Knucks and Brimaz
Alas Poor Brimaz, we barely saw him.

He was basically screaming (Him and other plants in Theros/KTK block) for MonoWhite Devotion to be a thing, what with the fun double finishers of Evangel of Heloid and Secure the Wastes, but nope, saw no play in Standard or in Modern.

Edit: I'm kind of surprised we didn't get some sort of Energy based Mana Leak, all things considered, something like:

Revocation of Permit UU

Instant

Choose Target Spell. You get EEE,then you may pay any amount of Energy. That spell is countered unless it's controller pays X, where X Is the amount of energy paid.

Like, that would have been fine. It's Logic Knot meets Mana Leak.

Santiako

From blogatog:

ubsuporter sent: Is aven mindsensor the only invocation card (outside gods) that we will see in the regular set, or maybe.... just maybe there is another one?

Aven Mindcensor and the gods are the only Invocations also in the set,

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
All I can think of for OT titles are weird Passover references that probably don't work for the vast majority of GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom