• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Jonas De Ro Swamp is gorgeous. All of his are pretty good, actually, it's weird that he didn't get to do a Forest.

Everybody's doing it so sorry to pick on you specifically, but this thing where once there's one thing wrong people drop everything to focus on coming up with reasons (even bizarre, nonsensical, marginal reasons) why everything else is also guaranteed to be bad is one of the most unpleasant aspects of the MTG community. It always feels like nobody's even once had a proportionate reaction to anything. (At least it isn't as bad as Hearthstone fans though.)
To be fair to Hearthstone, at least Standard hasn't had the same deck/Colors be dominant for 6+ Months. We'd be bitching about that too.

noquarter

That Jonas De Ro Swamp is gorgeous. All of his are pretty good, actually, it's weird that he didn't get to do a Forest.

Everybody's doing it so sorry to pick on you specifically, but this thing where once there's one thing wrong people drop everything to focus on coming up with reasons (even bizarre, nonsensical, marginal reasons) why everything else is also guaranteed to be bad is one of the most unpleasant aspects of the MTG community. It always feels like nobody's even once had a proportionate reaction to anything. (At least it isn't as bad as Hearthstone fans though.)
It does happen a lot, but this is probably the most hyped new plane. People have been wanting an Egyptian theme for years and we already have to ugly new frames with it. What we have seen should be as exciting as the fact we are going to an Egyptian themed plane, and instead it looks like WotC dropped the ball on the stuff to remember from the set.

Personally I'm upset that they put Bolas on the plane and seem to be focusing on him more then the plane (full art lands all have Bolas horns, Invocations all have Bolas horns). I like Bolas, ever since I got him in a pack of Chronicles, but would have liked this to be more discovery than fighting a known big threat.

I know what you are getting at, the online community does get super negative about anything they don't agree with, but currently I can totally understand why so many people are down on the set. Hopefully the set ends up playing as well as Innistrad.

Firemind

Personally I'm upset that they put Bolas on the plane and seem to be focusing on him more then the plane (full art lands all have Bolas horns, Invocations all have Bolas horns). I like Bolas, ever since I got him in a pack of Chronicles, but would have liked this to be more discovery than fighting a known big threat.
Yeah one of the things I liked about Alara is that you don't discover Bolas's shenanigans until the second set. I liked how in the past they just dropped us players into a new plane with new faces and new stories unfolding. Now you're forced to follow the band of timetravelers and their dumbass mingling because who the fuck knows why. It feels like Stargate but without any sensible writing.

Santiako

en_tAlSSjvfVj.png

Embalm is going to be amazing in limited. If it's not in all colours, the colours that lack it (probably red and blue) will be at a disadvantage.

Ashodin

It happens to everything actually. People see cracks and believe a shit show is just around the corner. Look at Mass Effect. That one animation problem in a demo heralded some crazy shit.

en_tAlSSjvfVj.png

Embalm is going to be amazing in limited. If it's not in all colours, the colours that lack it (probably red and blue) will be at a disadvantage.

Oh, so the reminder text will write out the case for each particular creature then.
And if this is what's at common, there has to be common graveyard removal.

traveler

Not Wario
I like embalming as a mechanic, but this standard just seems like the scariest place to print it, with resilient threats like Gideon and vehicles already running over the format. Hopefully there's nothing too pushed.

red13th

I want a completely broken Embalm card, screw standard, they can ban cards. It's a genuine pure value mechanic, not a crappy build around like energy or delirium or the other stuff they have been churning out. My cube craves for mechanics like this. Push away!

Jhriad

screw standard

Careful what you wish for. If Standard stays as bad as it has been for too much longer we could start to see more store closures. Aether Revolt sales have been sluggish and I don't think we want to see what happens if that trend continues.

Santiako

Found these on mtgsalvation too, some story slides with some new art and info there:

wMjUW8g.jpg

vcy362I.jpg

o7Iup3R.jpg

HhPlnO3.jpg

mcHrxW7.jpg

y8L0vUC.jpg

I love the snake dude with his pet pals.

Are people saying the whole set is going to be bad based on the invocations? I don't agree with that. We have no clue yet.

Just Ashodin from what I can see here.

Santiako

So Bolas is basically breeding a super army under a magic dome in the middle of the desert?

Awesome

I wonder if the planar portal can't transport living creatures so that's why Bolas is turning his best warriors into zombies for his planar conquering army. Zombies are also Eldrazi proof as we saw in Eldritch Moon so he's covered there if he runs into them.

I know what you are getting at, the online community does get super negative about anything they don't agree with, but currently I can totally understand why so many people are down on the set. Hopefully the set ends up playing as well as Innistrad.

I just hope that if we're gonna be down on the set itself it'll be because the cards and mechanics are bad. As bad as they fucked up on these Invocations, I'd much rather that than the actual set proper. And I do like the mechanics we've seen so far a lot in a vacuum.

It happens to everything actually. People see cracks and believe a shit show is just around the corner. Look at Mass Effect. That one animation problem in a demo heralded some crazy shit.

This is a really good analogy, actually.

I wonder if the planar portal can't transport living creatures so that's why Bolas is turning his best warriors into zombies for his planar conquering army.

This theory makes... a surprisingly large amount of sense.

I'm really not thrilled with embalm playing a deck in standard currently that's 90% counters and removal.
I'm going to have to go up to 4 Incendiary Flows like this and I don't like having to resort to sorceries as that leaves me open to a Gideon resolving.

So Basically, Bolas is going to return to Amonkhet hoping to reap his Army of Zombie Walkers only to find The Gatewatch Fucking shit up and he's going to have to wreck the Plane to get them out

This sounds like Always Sunny to me

Also, Commons have been getting good, but like, that card is on par with Topanga Freeblade as "Pushed!!!". A 1W Conditional 3/3 with Vigilance? Yes please.

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/846898199893852160

Was this posted? They're claiming the illegibility was intentional.

Not hard to believe. Still, they didn't go far enough to make it clear that's what they were doing. It's just clear enough that people recognize the words and get frustrated that they're hard to read.

Plus, textless Cryptic Command should have shown them that you never want to actually make it hard to read. They probably wanted it to appeal to the same people that play with Japanese cards and such, but that message was muddled.

Yeef

I'm really not thrilled with embalm playing a deck in standard currently that's 90% counters and removal.
I'm going to have to go up to 4 Incendiary Flows like this and I don't like having to resort to sorceries as that leaves me open to a Gideon resolving.
I would not be surprised to see a Burn Away reprint or something similar. Even more so given the way the Red god showed up in the story today.

I also get the sense that the gods are mono-color but work together with their enemy colored gods. Maelstrom Pulse and Vindicate both show enemy color gods working together and, in the story today, the white and red gods work together to save The Gatewatch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: the Gathering - Amonkhet |OT| This is horrifying to the Gatewatch.

Adaren

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/846898199893852160

Was this posted? They're claiming the illegibility was intentional.

It's definitely intentional, and I'm sure they predicted that it would be controversial as well (though, if they knew that, then they probably should have reconsidered revealing the Invocations first).

Likewise, given how the text fields are brimming with overwrought flavor, I believe that the conspicuously are columns flanking the card art and text box are also very much intentional. My guess is that the flatter textures on the walls are part of the 3D illusion of the card, so hopefully they'll look a lot better in your hand than they do on your computer screen.

None of this absolves WotC of criticism, and they definitely introduced Invocations in a way that amplified the controversy, but I do think that they were making very conscious decisions when they designed the Invocation frame.

I've mentioned this before, but I think graveyard exiling is an area that it would be good for red to get into more, especially if they tie it to other effects (or just damage).

Monocolored gods confirmed
askkrenko asked: Can you tell us the playtest names for the 5 Amonkhet Gods?

White God, Blue God, Black God, Red God and Green God.

Don’t tell anyone I told you.

bigkrev

They want little Steven to bring his Embalm deck to FNM and not cry because his opponents have sideboard cards that invalidate his entire strategy. We aren't getting graveyard hate.

Maledict

Yeah, the issue with that comparison was that it turned out the main game was *full* of issues like the animation glitch from the demo. That doesn't leave me hopeful!

Ashodin

That's what I'm saying. The lands look like shit, the masterpieces are hated, and the aftermath mechanic is a weird split card thing.

The set might have terrible OP pushed cards with no answers again.

Burn will still be shit, blue will still be shit, and green will get even more card draw.

We should bingo card it.

So with this new flavor info:

|OT|Amonkhet- Have you accepted Nicol Bolas as your Lord and Savior?

or for maximum references:

|OT|Amonkhet - Dyslexic Dragon Demands Devotion and D-D-D-Deuls!

Lucario

Got to play with MM17 for the first time last night... Even in sealed, jesus this set is sweet!

Pulled 9 guildgates, shimmering grotto, and 3 signets, so I went full 5-color. Favorite play of the night was Terminus followed up with a Cruel Ultimatum, then next turn a Snapcaster flashing back Cruel Ultimatum.

y2dvd

Got to play with MM17 for the first time last night... Even in sealed, jesus this set is sweet!

Pulled 9 guildgates, shimmering grotto, and 3 signets, so I went full 5-color. Favorite play of the night was Terminus followed up with a Cruel Ultimatum, then next turn a Snapcaster flashing back Cruel Ultimatum.

That's just mean! Set is sweet tho. So many playable card .

Thats quit the turn progression lol

OnPoint

I think I just found the name of the non-planeswalker deck Gideon card.

Was this already known? I was checking the freely available posters at the WPN site and spotted this.
Gideon of the Trials sounds like he's going to run through some kind of God tests. That's interesting.

Rafy

Gideon of the Trials sounds like he's going to run through some kind of God tests. That's interesting.

The fact that we already knew about the trials of the Gods is why I think this is the actual name. Maybe Gideon was chosen by the Gatewatch as their Champion/representative for the trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom