• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

Not sure if you are serious. Dark Ritual has been one of the most powerful cards in the history of Magic. It was absurd in Extended, powerful in Standard at every point it was legal, and is still a Vintage Staple in Dark Petition Storm

Sorry, I should have been clear.

Obviously, dark ritual is a must for any set encompassing the big impactful spells of Magic. I've played it myself many times.

My point was that there are plenty, plenty of green constructed level Sorceries, instants, enchantments and creatures that fit an Egyptian theme, and it's incredibly weird they aren't here. If Dark Ritual gets a copy, then why not Overrun, or Rancour, or Bird of Paradise, or a Crocdodile, or a cat? At the same time, it's loaded with counterspells which again feels odd as hell - naturally there should be counterspells, but not this many - Blue has many other big name spells as well as these!

The entire list selection just feels really odd to me, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was some reasoning behind the fact that its so heavily imbalanced colour wise, and also so imbalanced mechanics wise.

Short summary of today's story, linked earlier.
* They arrive on Amonkhet in the middle of a desert. Pelted by a sandstorm, Chandra creates a glass shelter for them.
* Everyone is being exhausted by the heat except for Chandra. Nissa and Jace have a very hard time casting spells, due to the lack of mana bonds. Gideon probably would too if he cast anything. Chandra and Liliana are doing fine with mana.
* They see large Bolas horns in the distance, and after the sandstorm disperses, they head toward it.
* They are very quickly attacked by a huge swarm of mummies rising out of the sands. As they fight, the ruckus draws sand wurms.
* They have a hard time, with Liliana in particular running out of energy (which causes the zombies she took control of to attack them again), but they manage to kill the wurms.
* But then it turns out everything that dies on Amonkhet is cursed to rise again. So they are attacked by zombie wurms.
* Only Gideon is left standing, and he's getting overwhelmed.
* Out of nowhere, an arrow of light disintegrates many of the zombies, and the jackal god appears to destroy the rest. Gideon is in awe, and wonders how it is possible for this world to have gods. The god sees him, but leaves him be and disappears.
* After they recover, they arrive at an oasis and are surprised by what they see. A magic dome protects it from the sands. They go inside.

Basically the desert kicks their ass and gods have to save them.

Santiako

Sorry, I should have been clear.

Obviously, dark ritual is a must for any set encompassing the big impactful spells of Magic. I've played it myself many times.

My point was that there are plenty, plenty of green constructed level Sorceries, instants, enchantments and creatures that fit an Egyptian theme, and it's incredibly weird they aren't here. If Dark Ritual gets a copy, then why not Overrun, or Rancour, or Bird of Paradise, or a Crocdodile, or a cat? At the same time, it's loaded with counterspells which again feels odd as hell - naturally there should be counterspells, but not this many - Blue has many other big name spells as well as these!

The entire list selection just feels really odd to me, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was some reasoning behind the fact that its so heavily imbalanced colour wise, and also so imbalanced mechanics wise.

I'm assuming Hour of Devastation's Invocations will be heavily titled towards Red/Green

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's kind of bad when the only reason I'd care about opening your prize cards is if they're actually any good in limited.

Wulfric

Please tell me you're going to use Foil Dark Ascension Thalia's and not "ANIME" Thalia

lol yep, I got two of them already. I love Steve Argyle's work, but the original print from Johannes Voss can't be beat. I use his GP Stoneforge Mystic as well, because Worldwake foils are $$$$.

I'm being overly hopeful to think they might just print Containment Priest in Standard.

You know, I don't think it would be a half bad idea. Has a Commander only card ever been reprinted into a standard set? I doubt it would be very likely at any rate.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol yep, I got two of them already. I love Steve Argyle's work, but the original print from Johannes Voss can't be beat. I use his GP Stoneforge Mystic as well, because Worldwake foils are $$$$.

You know, I don't think it would be a half bad idea. Has a Commander only card ever been reprinted into a standard set. I doubt it would be very likely.

Yes, actually - Scavenging Ooze.

Scooze was originally printed in Commander 2011 in the Ghave deck and didn't appear in Standard until Magic 2014.

Wulfric

Yes, actually - Scavenging Ooze.

So you're telling me there's a chance? :p

I hope they keep the original art. It wouldn't look too out of place on Amonkhet honestly.

X4IU4Zo.jpg

Angry Grimace

I don't think Containment Priest does anything broken, but given recent events I would not be surprised if they considered it broken because it interferes with Embalm (despite the fact you can just kill Containment Priest when it resolves).

It's worse because CP makes sense - the white god seems to hate the undead and stop them, which is what CP does.

MoxManiac

I might seriously consider passing Spell Pierce unless I was in blue. I can't imagine its worth much of anything.

Dark Ritual is a staple, iconic card. I don't think there's such a thing as a black EDH deck that doesn't have Dark Ritual.

I've never run ritual in any EDH deck. The tempo isn't worth the card in a splashy multiplayer format.

I don't think Containment Priest does anything broken, but given recent events I would not be surprised if they considered it broken because it interferes with Embalm (despite the fact you can just kill Containment Priest when it resolves).

It's worse because CP makes sense - the white god seems to hate the undead and stop them, which is what CP does.
Actually, doesn't Containment Priest not stop Embalming? It's non-token it cares about.

I'd be all over Containment Priest being Modern Legal, because FUCK Reanimator in Modern.

Embalm makes tokens, it doesn't even interfere. Hilariously, it's an effective anti-reanimator/anti-dredge card that nonetheless doesn't touch any of Amonkhet's mechanics.

And I agree, Containment Priest would be a totally reasonable Standard hate bear and fit pretty decently in this block.

Embalm makes tokens, it doesn't even interfere. Hilariously, it's an effective anti-reanimator/anti-dredge card that nonetheless doesn't touch any of Amonkhet's mechanics.

And I agree, Containment Priest would be a totally reasonable Standard hate bear and fit pretty decently in this block.
I didn't realize how it hoses Dredge, that's just.. excellent. I need it in Modern, because between it and Scooze GW Hatebears could cut the Rest in Peace's/Wheel of Sun and Moon

Hoses Chord, CoCo, Goryo's and Through the Breach as well. Card would be sweet in Modern.
Also hoses the good old Combo part of CoCo Combos, as well as Aether Vial...

Okay, if this gets printed I might tone down my "Free Mystic", because it's a damn good card that both helps White as a colour(Woo Hatebears) and would work really, really well for Control as a few-of. They get to hold up Mana for either a Counter, this(if it's like Goryo's with Blue left open in Grixis), or Card Draw. It's still not straight Draw-Go(which should never exist) but it would definitely boost Reactive strategies.

Jhriad

It's not a popular card in EDH.

It's listed in 5500 decks on EDHRec so I wouldn't so that far. You'll see it in Nekusar and Yidris decks with relatively decent frequency as well as various mono black decks. I don't know that I'd personally put it in an EDH deck but it does see a not insignificant amount of use.

I'd say that Dark Ritual is one of those cards, like Mental Misstep, that becomes better/more common in Commander the stronger/more competitive the decks involved.

Angry Grimace

I don't want to play with you lames that don't play with Dark Ritual

MhFmvxJ.jpg

Wulfric

That Swamp looks like the outskirts of Ravnica. I think it's the obelisks that bring RTR to mind.

It's nice to see another Mark Poole Island. If this painting is physical, I imagine it would go higher than the auction for Stony Silence.

Angry Grimace

5 minute MS paint of someone else's MS paint, but this general idea is what I think they should have gone for:

tBoWntc.png

Still kinda wonky, but I think it would have been more interesting.

Wulfric

Hmm, Volkan Baga Plains and a Chris Rahn Mountain? This will be their first land cards.

I can tell the artist assignment in this set is going to be incredibly interesting. It's nice to switch things up every now and then.

Angry Grimace

It just looks wrong with regular old MTG art. They should have done Egpytian Fresco art for every card to make it look like something you would have found inside Tutankhamen's tomb.

That Jonas De Ro Swamp is gorgeous. All of his are pretty good, actually, it's weird that he didn't get to do a Forest.

man Amonkhet is going to be a fucking mess isn't it

Everybody's doing it so sorry to pick on you specifically, but this thing where once there's one thing wrong people drop everything to focus on coming up with reasons (even bizarre, nonsensical, marginal reasons) why everything else is also guaranteed to be bad is one of the most unpleasant aspects of the MTG community. It always feels like nobody's even once had a proportionate reaction to anything. (At least it isn't as bad as Hearthstone fans though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom