• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Lol. It's literally just the power on top instead of to the left. Your suggestion is more drastic putting it on the opposite side of where it's always been.

Um... I think we're thinking the same thing, but not exactly

Quick and dirty example

oZzoWJ9.png

Mike Linneman, the fantastic art columnist over at Gatheringmagic, is putting together the biggest magic art exhibition to line up with GP Vegas. I'm seriously considering jumping in for that dinner option in the kickstarter.

Linneman is good people and this is a great setup. Not a lot of opportunity to see stuff like this, hope it does gangbusters.

Wonder if there's enough time for them to at least refine the frame a bit for Hour of Devastation printings. Assuming it's way too late, but even if they could just drop the wingdings, it'd make a huge difference.

The first wave of Hour of Darkness is already printed at this point, I think.

So, it's not that I don't think marketing is involved with the process, I just don't think that their place in the workflow of set design/development/release/post-release would place them in a position where they're directly impacting the design of new borders/card layouts, etc.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I wouldn't expect Hasbro corporate to do much more than that (offer a rubber stamp or active meddling), but what confuses me is that WotC has their own internal marketing team too (even if they call it "Brand" it's still a marketing team, really.) What really surprises me is that this got past Creative and the WotC production department and the Brand team without someone saying WTF.

Most are putrid because of the border / font. Mind Twist is mindnumbingly amazing. Counterspells art is awesome.

I won't look a gift horse in the mouth if I open one, and they look slightly better in person than in images, but they do appear to be the OOOGLIEST magic cards I have ever seen.

bigkrev

I don't get all the bitching about how unreadable the cards are. The whole issue with Textless Spells was that a player couldn't pick it up and know what the spell did- they just had the name. These are the opposite- the cards text boxes seem easier to read than even a normal magic card with large, bold print. Isn't that the part that is actually important?

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I have no problems with the spells they chose. It is a great collection of cool. Powerful stuff. The frames are just the dirt worst.

I don't think you actually have to go that far afield to fix the layout here. A lot of the Photoshopped versions really aim to tear it up completely or focus on aesthetic problems that people aren't necessarily any better at than WotC was; I spent 15 minutes just focusing on legibility and art presentation and I think you can go a long way with small tweaks:

QLjShWO.jpg

I don't get all the bitching about how unreadable the cards are. The whole issue with Textless Spells was that a player couldn't pick it up and know what the spell did- they just had the name. These are the opposite- the cards text boxes seem easier to read than even a normal magic card with large, bold print. Isn't that the part that is actually important?

Text box legibility is important for verifying the exact functioning of a card (which this does perfectly well.) Title bar legibility, and art size/visual impact, is important for easily telling similar cards apart, which this is significantly bad at.

traveler

Not Wario
Other than creatures and enchantments feeling like a weird fit for a series titled "Invocations", I'm largely pretty happy with the selections too. It's striking the right balance between eternal playables, cool casual cards, commander staples, and thematic fits that previous sets have. I even think, if they're going to do creatures, Loyal Retainers is a pretty inspired choice. Thematically relevant, eternal and commander playable, and worth a decent chunk of change? That's a perfect choice.

then I look at the frames and some of the art again......sjdlkfjklsdjflkjdklfkljljkljdvindicatesijiodjiojfj

Jesus WotC

traveler

Not Wario
That art is so so gorgeous. Easily my favorite WoG art of all time. The mockups make it so obvious how beautiful it could look in a standard frame. Design did an incredible disservice to Titus. I know it's already been posted, but just look at this!

C8CdVu-VUAAZRDC.jpg:large

The focus on impending doom instead of the scene of obliteration itself is a new take on wrath, the color palette fits both a white card and the ominous tone needed for it, the sheer scale of it is incredible, and the subtle use of an arrow as the delivery mechanism for the wrath of the white god- who's been depicted as an archer? Just perfect. <3

ultron87

If they were all spells I'd be less concerned with the readability because they won't sit on the board for the whole time. But geez, the opponent has gotta look at and be aware of the function of that upside down Aven Mindcensor for awhile.

Crocodile

The new art on many of these Invocations is pretty cool but as a total package, looking at these cards make me feel like my eyes are being punched. I can't say I'm a fan.

noquarter

I don't think you actually have to go that far afield to fix the layout here. A lot of the Photoshopped versions really aim to tear it up completely or focus on aesthetic problems that people aren't necessarily any better at than WotC was; I spent 15 minutes just focusing on legibility and art presentation and I think you can go a long way with small tweaks:

QLjShWO.jpg

Text box legibility is important for verifying the exact functioning of a card (which this does perfectly well.) Title bar legibility, and art size/visual impact, is important for easily telling similar cards apart, which this is significantly bad at.
I really wish they would push these series to be art-centric, at least the Masterpieces had'full-art' even if the text box covered a portion of it.
That art is so so gorgeous. Easily my favorite WoG art of all time. The mockups make it so obvious how beautiful it could look in a standard frame. Design did an incredible disservice to Titus. I know it's already been posted, but just look at this!

C8CdVu-VUAAZRDC.jpg:large

The focus on impending doom instead of the scene of obliteration itself is a new take on wrath, the color palette fits both a white card and the ominous tone needed for it, the sheer scale of it is incredible, and the subtle use of an arrow as the delivery mechanism for the wrath of the white god- who's been depicted as an archer? Just perfect. <3
This card, Daze and Mind Twist have great art. Counterbalance and Counterspell look pretty good as well. Shame the border and text distract from that.
Using these cards will be the new way to tilt opponents at tournaments.
Imagine the tilt on a Terminus Invocation.

traveler

Not Wario
The worst tilt is going to be when I forget my opponent has counterbalance on the board because there's some weird gold illegible monstrosity on the table opposite me instead. The invocation terminus wiping my board a turn later will just be the salty icing on the shit cake.

Santiako

Imagine in a few years on streams players with Expeditions, Inventions, Invocations, Incantations, Fables, Heroes, Treasures, Icons, Moments, etc in play. Those boards will be messy af.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm 100% a whale, but consistency is ultimately a higher aesthetic value than bling, at any cost. I can't see too many people wanting to fill their decks with total nonsense just because it's premium. (Although I also hope we don't get classic frame promos for 25th anniversary or any other occasion because I can't stand having classic and new frames in the same deck, so what do I know.)

In non eye searing news, random common.

17457257_420174518332973_4268158402499853371_n.png

Miasma Mummy - 1B
Creature -- Jackal Zombie
When Miasma Mummy enters the battlefield, each player discards a card.
2/2

y2dvd

I'm 100% a whale, but consistency is ultimately a higher aesthetic value than bling, at any cost. I can't see too many people wanting to fill their decks with total nonsense just because it's premium. (Although I also hope we don't get classic frame promos for 25th anniversary or any other occasion because I can't stand having classic and new frames in the same deck, so what do I know.)

Have you not met any legacy players? All they do is bling out their decks, including me lol. Got a bunch of foils and expedition lands going. I want dat Daze and FoW. Flusterstorm would be even better please. That card so needs a reprint.

I play commander with a couple whales at times it's already bad.

Foiled out and masterpieced out nonsense.

"Hey man, I got this today!"

Why?

"For my Commander deck, it was only 120 bucks."

Maybe because I like variety and am constantly building new ones and breaking down old Commander decks that I don't understand the need to spend so much dumb money on a single deck.

Same. I do like some bling though occasionally.

Someone on reddit pointed out Maelstrom Pulse and Vindicate are copy pastaing part of the art.

The black god is identical in both of them.

Clearly it's a cycle of enemy-pair removal, all connected by copied-pasted gods in the art.

Look for Lightning Helix, Fire/Ice, and... Temporal Spring Invocations rounding out the cycle.

(I just wanted to make someone imagine a split card Invocation)

traveler

Not Wario
I hope we have a consequences/aftermath invocation, so we can have the privilege of viewing the ugliest frame in magic history. It's kind of amazing we're getting both of those in the same block already.

Clearly it's a cycle of enemy-pair removal, all connected by copied-pasted gods in the art.

Look for Lightning Helix, Fire/Ice, and... Temporal Spring Invocations rounding out the cycle.

(I just wanted to make someone imagine a split card Invocation)

the lesson to take from this, is to always stand to the right of gods.

Same. I do like some bling though occasionally.

Someone on reddit pointed out Maelstrom Pulse and Vindicate are copy pastaing part of the art.

The black god is identical in both of them.

Why try when you're not gonna beat the best Vindicate art of all time anyway?

arc1308_judge_vindicate_art.jpg

Also, I'm in the minority that loves the Invocation border. It reminds me of that Mew card I got for seeing the 1st Pokemon movie in theatres.

traveler

Not Wario
I sent much more tame, to the point versions of my rants here, fwiw. I've generally loved most of the frame changes they've made throughout the years and I've definitely enjoyed both masterpiece series from before, even if I think they had better expedition options than they took. This is hands down the ugliest design I've ever seen them make, so I hope they don't handwave this away as just the internet being negative.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";232966403]Why try when you're not gonna beat the best Vindicate art of all time anyway?

arc1308_judge_vindi _art.jpg

Also, I'm in the minority that loves the Invocation border. It reminds me of that Mew card I got for seeing the 1st Pokemon movie in theatres.[/QUOTE]

This isn't Vindicate. It's Virbicate.

Jhriad

*wake up*
Been busy with work so I haven't been able to check out the spoilers. Time to check the thread on GAF.
*Click*

Virtually every design decision on these sucks.

Unreadable font
Centered-caps lock text
Random nonsense symbols around the types/names
Tiny art
Stacked P/T
Sepia Tone Mana symbols.
The frame itself looks like random fucking blocks of color

What the fuck. These are terrible. And they wasted Mind Twist on this? Fucking hell.

A_Dang

I still can't get over how bad the Invocations are. The actual art of the card is given less space than on standard cards...why? Who wants that?

I can get past not being able to (easily) read the card name and type. We have full art cards, so a precedent exists for that kind of thing.

I can (almost...maybe?) get past the ALL CAPS centered rules text. It's ugly, harder to read, but it's included...so thats a plus.

I can get past the mana costs not being colored.

I can almost get past the power/toughness being stacked. It doesnt make any sense why you'd do that...but sure, give it a try!

I even like the Bolas horns around the holographic stamp on the bottom.

But I can not understand why a "premium" card would have less space given to the actual art...As someone mentioned a few pages back (or maybe just on Reddit), the real victims here are the artists.

Edit: One of the other aspects that drives me nuts is that the art window is narrower that the rules text box. These cards are so ugly.

Adaren

The side columns and top ceiling part really do look abnormally drab...I wonder how much of that was due to the 3D depth stuff, since it seems like a really weird decision otherwise.

Hero

I made a burn on the one WotC staffer that uploaded a video on twitter and it's gotten so many likes and has like 35,000 impressions...I can't believe they messed this up that badly.

red13th

And those crappy Invocations are on the same set as the Aftermath split cards LOL. So many weird visual choices in Amonkhet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom