• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit7

Scion gives no fucks about CMC. Big Ur Dragon makes for a unilateral show and tell.
All your early plays in Scion should be ways to accelerate into Scion, as Scion is all the value you'll ever need.
Once you have set up w in th a couple searches you can go and res big Ur Dragon with haste as well.

It requires less setup than Utvara Hellkite at 8 mana.

No kidding though, my scion deck's average cmc is 4.x while most of my other decks are 3.x or less with the more competitive builds being closer to 2 than 3.

That is a bit of my point. I will definitely throw him into my scion deck, but I wouldn't use him as the general. He is stronger in the 99 where I can cheat stuff into play, then the next turn grab teneb and bring the ur dragon back.

Samurai are so boring though. Bushido is just an awful ability. What would a good new Samurai legend look like? Takeno, Samurai General but more colors?

A UB Ninja legend would be 1000x better.

I think it'd be cool to have a WR guy that gave all your Warriors and Samurai both Bushido and Flanking.

And indestructibility on everyone else's turn.

So like:

Uematsu, Samurai Exemplar
WRB
4/4
Legendary Creature - Samurai Warrior
Knight creatures, Warrior creatures and Samurai creatures you control have Bushido 1 and Flanking 1, and have indestructible if it's not your turn.
Sacrifice a Samurai: Each opponent loses life equal to the sacrificed creature's power. You gain that much life.

Also, I doubt any of the decks will be monocolored. Even in the big races like goblins and elves, there's multiple popular cards that are multicolor or off color.

Yeah, monocolor is too limiting to design and there's almost no tribe that you actually need to do that with. Certainly all the classic characteristic races have been bled to one or two other colors in the past.

I'm expecting safer stuff like Humans and Merfolk though.

They won't do humans for two reasons: they're not thematically exciting enough (they'll want to choose creature types which can be showy and have good conceptual variance for legends that are all tribal in orientation) and to do them justice they'd almost certainly have to be a five-color deck, which is already taken by dragons here.

red13th

Abzan Elves with a Lowryn/Shadowmoor theme would be cool too. Are there any elf legends from those sets that could show up as legends though?
They seem to be picking some relatively obscure legends like the Cat Dragon one. O-Kagachi and Ur-Dragon are less random I suppose.

Ashodin

I think it'd be cool to have a WR guy that gave all your Warriors and Samurai both Bushido and Flanking.

And indestructibility on everyone else's turn.

So like:

Uematsu, Samurai Exemplar
WRB
4/4
Legendary Creature - Samurai Warrior
Knight creatures, Warrior creatures and Samurai creatures you control have Bushido 1 and Flanking 1, and have indestructible if it's not your turn.
Sacrifice a Samurai: Each opponent loses life equal to the sacrificed creature's power. You gain that much life.
Nah the Eminence keyword is absolutely perfect for this situation.

Eminence -- As long as this is in your command zone or on the battlefield, Samurai you control have indestructible on your turn.

Samurai are already fragile as fuck (and hard to cast) so I think making them indestructible wouldn't be a bad thing.

Ashodin

Indestructible doesn't make sense thematically tho

162.jpg

Would you like divinity counters with that?

Just imagine the guy got a hold of the taste of divinity or something, I dunno.

Samurai you control enter with a divinity counter on them. They are indestructible as long as they have the counter. Remove a divinity counter from a permanent you control: do X.

Santiako

I feel like they're going to do something dumb with eminence. Like, while this is in play or in the command zone all elves have "T: add G" or all zombies can be cast from graveyard or all goblins have haste. You know they'll have one that's busted.

Ashodin

I feel like they're going to do something dumb with eminence. Like, while this is in play or in the command zone all elves have "T: add G" or all zombies can be cast from graveyard or all goblins have haste. You know they'll have one that's busted.

Oloro was already busted because Lifegain by 2 every turn is insane

Also, there's a 100% chance of one of the commanders being fucked up in terms of balance. 2013 had Derevi/Oloro/Prosh,2014 had.. someone I remember hearing people bitch about, 2015 had Meren, 2016 had Atraxa/Breya. It's basically a yearly thing that the new commander decks end up creating something stupid.

Abzan Elves with a Lowryn/Shadowmoor theme would be cool too. Are there any elf legends from those sets that could show up as legends though?
They seem to be picking some relatively obscure legends like the Cat Dragon one. O-Kagachi and Ur-Dragon are less random I suppose.
I mean, joke suggestion of Rhys, because Abzan Elf Commander just screams Rhys(has been G and GW, but is/was a part of the Gilt-leaf group, so...)

DrArchon

They won't do humans for two reasons: they're not thematically exciting enough (they'll want to choose creature types which can be showy and have good conceptual variance for legends that are all tribal in orientation) and to do them justice they'd almost certainly have to be a five-color deck, which is already taken by dragons here.

Fair point. I still expect some more boring and predictable choices instead of the off-the-walls ones that I'd rather see. Maybe not Humans, but Elves, Zombies, and Merfolk are all fair game.

I'm actually guessing Eminence is pretty narrowly defined -- literally a price reduction for one tribe, every time.

Fair point. I still expect some more boring and predictable choices instead of the off-the-walls ones that I'd rather see. Maybe not Humans, but Elves, Zombies, and Merfolk are all fair game.

I would also lean against zombies (though definitely not exclude) just because they've been hit so hard in standard-legal sets this year. Elves and Merfolk both have viable three-color executions (Abzan and Esper respectively) and are very popular with players.

Cylia from Alara, Disa and Taaveti from the Ice Age era, Eidren and Gryffid from Lorwyn, Fonn and Myc from Ravnica are a few that meet at least the notability standard that the cat dragon does.

Crocodile

I feel Merfolk are better described as Bant than Esper. Black Merfolk only exist in Shadowmoor. Green Merfolk exist on Shadowmoor, Ravnica and Theros. The Green Merfolk tend to be more powerful/popular too.

I'll be in New Orleans for work next week. Does anyone know of any good gaming shops in that area? Especially ones that have board games, but even if they don't, I'm still interested.

Thanks!

Ashodin

Santiako, Mythic Spoiler sometimes actually is given real spoiler cards from WoTC :)

But I need high quality images of Ramos, STAT. This is the guy I have based my WoW Character on for a DECADE.

bigkrev

Slivers make a ton of sense, except they probably don't want to reprint any of the ones with older templating, which would defeat the purpose of the deck.

I stand by my Kavu prediction though. All 5 colors, they are apparently still all in Dominaria, and we are probably going there soon

Santiako

Slivers make a ton of sense, except they probably don't want to reprint any of the ones with older templating, which would defeat the purpose of the deck.

I stand by my Kavu prediction though. All 5 colors, they are apparently still all in Dominaria, and we are probably going there soon

Even though Kavu are mostly terrible cards (FTK aside), I'd love a R/G Kavu deck, since I love their look and concept.

I'm thinking Dragons are the only five-color deck. Like, as neat as it would be to see a five-color Angel or something, I'm betting the rest of the decks are three- or four-color.

red13th

I doubt they are 4 colour since there'd have to be a bunch of 4 colour commanders to support the decks and it's said there's not much design space for 4 colour cards.
Maybe hybrid mana in activated abilities.

kirblar

Because Kibler was in MTG first.

hmmm I wonder... is Marvel their attempt at creating RNG-style hearthstone cards in paper? I wonder if we'll see more of that creativity.
Collected Company, Marvel, I don't think it's an accident. It's also been terrible for the game.

let's not pretend there aren't a million precursors to these types of effects. The only thing that's changed is how pushed they've been.

I've gotten Summoning Trapped into Emrakul enough times in my life.
Exactly once

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lol people have truly gone mad. The marvel ban cfb article has some of th dumbest comments I've seen. Ban ulamog and not marvel or ban marvel and unban emrakul of all things. It's like these people don't actually play or watch magic.

kirblar

Lol people have truly gone mad. The marvel ban cfb article has some of th dumbest comments I've seen. Ban ulamog and not marvel or ban marvel and unban emrakul of all things. It's like these people don't actually play or watch magic.
I mean, if B&R discussions don't convince people that the human race is not collectively smart, I don't know what will.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Marvel is stupid and unfun, but so are a lot of things. I don't think you need to ban Marvel.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They should ban Ulamog so people have no choice other than to play Kozilek, the Great Distortion for once.

Angry Grimace

I would laugh my head off.

I mean, Kozilek is really strong in reality, but it's a much fairer card than Ulamog is. You can interact with it, or at least attempt to catch back up because the second Kozilek is far worse than the second Ulamog.

I don't know that it would be better than Sandwurm Convergence.

Angry Grimace

I was thinking this exact thing last week
Ban Ulamog at the next B&R announcement. Then ban Kozilek at the last ban announcement before rotation so he doesn't feel left out of the "banned from Standard" club.

The point was that this type of effect isn't new. They aren't hearthstoning it up, they just suck at balancing.

I don't agree. The effects are a lot more pushed than they ever have been in terms of just winning games. Cascade is the last big mechanic that worked that way but it wasn't nearly as dumb as Marvel is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom