• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
From here at wotc, we would like to sincerely apologize for Kaladesh block being too powerful

Dispossess 2B
Sorcery (rare)
Name an artifact card. Search target opponent's hand, graveyard and library for any number of cards with that name and exile them.
These types of cards aren't actually good though.

Tunoku

were people down on the playability overall? The design still sucks but it's flashback.

Reduce to Rubble was an instant sell for nearly everyone for instance. Spring to mind is interesting for me as it ramps you into gearhulk while putting a draw spell into the graveyard but it's also a 3 mana sorcery which are unplayable on turn 3 for control decks.

You don't necessarily need to be a control deck to use Torrential Gearhulk. Maybe some big mana Simic deck with a great lategame?

y2dvd

From here at wotc, we would like to sincerely apologize for Kaladesh block being too powerful

Dispossess 2B
Sorcery (rare)
Name an artifact card. Search target opponent's hand, graveyard and library for any number of cards with that name and exile them.

So long my sweet Marvel deck. :( Pretty sweet sb card. 3 mana is a lot in eternal, but being able to swipe it all is strong.

Maledict

So what exactly is going on with the sarcophagi? We can see on the red card them being destroyed and Gideon helping people who were trapped in them. Are they sealing the champions who pass the trials in there and draining them of mana?

Have to say, this set has redeemed Bolas a bit. Up until now he's been a farcically dumb 'big bad', and felt more like a Scooby Doo boss than anything else. But he really did a number on Amonkhet in a very evil way that's distinct from Phyrexia and the Eldrazi.

A_Dang

Am I correct in thinking they have one more mythic to spoil? Is that what they will do for the last big splash before the full spoiler tomorrow?

DrArchon

The Tokens of Amonkhet

That's a lot of tokens, including a few embalm tokens for cards we don't know yet.

Some of the new embalm cards could be interesting. Heart-Piercer Manticore as a repeatable Fling on a 4 power body could be alright if it doesn't cost too much to cast or embalm. And Aven Wind Guide looks like a limited monster in UW or BW token decks.

Also, how do you mummify an illusion?

Poppy

i am really looking forward to this set, i havent done drafts since like the beginning of shadows over innistrad, but i am itching to get into this format, i bet it will be fun

Santiako

UrQH1oA.png

meh

traveler

Not Wario
Don't really get the flavor of the wurm card. The wurms are so territorial they protect the sky above the dunes.... But not the dunes themselves? (Ground based creatures)

DrArchon

Don't really get the flavor of the wurm card. The wurms are so territorial they protect the sky above the dunes.... But not the dunes themselves? (Ground based creatures)

Yeah, if they wanted to show wurms protecting the skies, why not just make Wurm tokens with Reach? Because this way it seems like they only care about birds and stuff.

Whatever, no one's gonna care about this card outside of limited and super casual EDH.

Tunoku

why would you make such a deck when you have access to marvel still?

Sigh...you're not wrong.

EDIT: The Minotaur 4/3 letting you pitch a scrounger is quite good. That way you can always get a card back if the 4/3 dies. I'm definitely gonna try building some Red deck splashing Black with that in mind. I hope a more consistent and more aggressively slanted BR deck can keep up with Mardu.

ultron87

Yeah, if they wanted to show wurms protecting the skies, why not just make Wurm tokens with Reach? Because this way it seems like they only care about birds and stuff.

Whatever, no one's gonna care about this card outside of limited and super casual EDH.

They are protecting the ground. There will quickly be a bunch of 5/5s that block.

I guess it combos with Hive Mind, not that we were exactly starved for ways to win after resolving Hive Mind.

I actually love that they print stupid cards like this. And yes, this is a damn Mythic and nobody had better bitch about it.

I guess it combos with Hive Mind, not that we were exactly starved for ways to win after resolving Hive Mind.

I actually love that they print stupid cards like this. And yes, this is a damn Mythic and nobody had better bitch about it.
This feels so much better as a Mythic because it's a build around then say,Warden of the First Tree.

I love that art, but the whole "I'm taking you down with me" angle could have been done so much better!

Glorious End (2R)
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Glorious End, exile your library, exile all permanents you control, exile all other cards from your hand, and pay X life, where X is your life total minus one.

You and target player lose the game.

This feels so much better as a Mythic because it's a build around then say,Warden of the First Tree.

I'm more referring to the people who are going to bitch that Red's mythic slot got "wasted."

A_Dang

...thats not the kind of splashy mythic I was thinking they would end with...

Yes, it's interesting, but its not a clear winner of a card.

DrArchon

These are the kind of mythics I want to see more of. Not just pushed Spike cards that'll obviously be 4-of's in every deck that can run them, but wonky cards that really make you think about how to use them.

I can't wait to throw away a game of limited by casting this at just the wrong time.

Daedardus

I love that art, but the whole "I'm taking you down with me" angle could have been done so much better!

Glorious End (2R)
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Glorious End, exile your library, exile all permanents you control, exile all other cards from your hand, and pay X life, where X is your life total minus one.

So many draws would be forced with this in tournaments.

bigkrev

How could anyone argue against this at Mythic? It's absolutely a mythic effect (extra turns), it's a splashy effect that has only been used twice before (and never in Red), and it's costed at a price for constructed.

It's a $3 Mythic that never actually hits bulk in all likelyhood, but it's fun as hell, and way better than them just taking the best constructed cards and sticking them at mythic even if they don't "feel" mythic, or just making giant unplayable monsters for the slot

Glorious End (2R)
Instant

This would probably join Shaharazad as the only card banned in Vintage that isn't an Ante card or a manual dexterity card.

Would be a fine silver bordered design though

A_Dang

It's also interesting that this is the 4th(?) card, and only red card with that effect. Day's Undoing, Sundial of the Infinite and Time Stop all have "end the turn." Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom