• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, the card is awful, but hilarious. You can't chain them together for any real effect. It's only playable with Platinum Gideon, and it's not like that combo even wins you the game.

A_Dang

With that name and effect I love that they left that mythic to spoil as the last one.

I guess thats some typical cheekyness for the spoiler season...I'm not so sure how "glorious" it is.

For future reference: I am not saying the card is good or bad. It may be amazing and break every format, it may be horrible and never see play ever. I'm just covering my butt for when we look back to see how we did on rating these cards.

Wait. Why is everyone here treating it as a joke? Sure, it's that. But this is also the set with the new Gideon in it and 2R for Time Stop is the real deal. It may or may not be playable but it's certainly something to consider.

Santiako

Wait. Why is everyone here treating it as a joke? Sure, it's that. But this is also the set with the new Gideon in it and 2R for Time Stop is the real deal. It may or may not be playable but it's certainly something to consider.

I could see Scapeshift decks using it in Modern.

Matriox

Hmm. I've been working on a red blue taking turns deck. The fact that you can use it on yourself the turn you're about to lose is interesting. Maybe at 8-9 mana you can cast an extra turn as well as skip the end phase that turn keeps you around. Not sure if it's viable, but it's interesting.

I really want a Limited game where my opponent taps out their creatures to finish me off, but then I cast Glorious End before blockers are declared, so then I can tap out to finish them off.

I remember when they basically tried to eliminate the use of the word "stack" from MTG lol. But glad it's back, because it makes sense. But seriously, that card can be fun, especially if you so fucking close to beating them and you know you can next turn.

Tunoku

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";233873271]Hopefully you can win the game your next turn, but you could always use Disallow to kill the suicide trigger.[/QUOTE]

Or just have the Gideon Emblem and a Gideon, right?

red13th

I recall someone (Maro?) saying Final Fortune was no longer on red's colour pie, glad that isn't the case. It's a fun mechanic for red.

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";233873433]...uh oh[/QUOTE]

It's stupidly easy to setup with the trigger. Gideon of the Trials extra turns go go!

traveler

Not Wario
The instant part isn't insignificant at all- exiling a critical spell or getting your opponent to swing in first are big advantages. You can also hit a stack full of grape shots while putting the original out of past in flames reach.

Ashodin

A LOT of people are going to get caught with their pants down in an alpha strike with this card.

I'm going to enjoy coming up with cheesy ways to use the card's name in a sentence

"Oh I'm dead am I? Well I guess you'll just have to meet your GLORIOUS END"

"What a GLORIOUS END to avoid death from!"

"GLORIOUS END you have there. Shame if something were to happen to it..."

Yeef

A LOT of people are going to get caught with their pants down in an alpha strike with this card.

I'm going to enjoy coming up with cheesy ways to use the card's name in a sentence

"Oh I'm dead am I? Well I guess you'll just have to meet your GLORIOUS END"

"What a GLORIOUS END to avoid death from!"

"GLORIOUS END you have there. Shame if something were to happen to it..."
In my head, when this spell gets countered, I'm not going to be able to help imagining the guy tackling the minotaur missing his mark and just diving headfirst into the spike pit.

Ashodin

I'm brewing with it; it seems really strong and Eightfold Path Gideons is crazy.

Gideon has to get banned

Funny thing is, Gideon Martial Paragon isn't terrible for the deck you want to cast Glorious End in - you want to untap your dudes and get +1/+1 for the reverse alpha strike

Santiako

Nn0sLG2.jpg

Pretty good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This set looks really neat in a "not full of broken bullshit" way.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's a toolbox set. Lots of new gears and gizmos to stuff into decks.

I'm just saying, I don't see something insanely stupid like Aetherworks Marvel or Gideon, AOZ, I see a lot of cards that look fun to try and build something with.

gonna play some mtg after not having touched it for 15 years

curious to see how many people turn their heads sideways to read this stuff versus turning the cards sideways

looks like i can find 1 draft per week & 1 sealed per month in my area

what's a good way to know during a draft how much a rare/mythic is worth so i can choose between it or a stronger common/uncommon for my deck

Agreed. I am liking the 2nd sets (Shadows/Amonkhet) way better than the first.
It feels very, very much like the old Intel Tick-Tock Cycles of CPUs, where one block completely flips Standard upside down and the following is a return to "normal"in terms of Design/Development.

The worst parts of SoI Block/Standard weren't in the set proper(Queller is fine without CoCo). Edit:
Wrong, forgot about Liliana warping White Weenie out, Queller being generally bullshit,
and Emrakul the Promised Ban

Edit: I do think they need to stop making Artifacts be the focus of blocks though, because the biggest offenders in Kaladesh block were artifacts that used a new Mechanic. Vehicles and Marvel could have been fine if we had actual answers to them vs what we have.

Double edit:Forgot about Liliana,Emrakul, etc. I'll fix that.

Daedardus

This set looks really neat in a "not full of broken bullshit" way.

Did previous sets have so many broken bullshit then? Always felt that the overall power level was on its downswing, with only the Eldrazi in Oath being really broken because of ROE lands. Standard felt mostly stale because of its lack of good answer to a few real threats.

But this is like the first set in four blocks that feels decently designed. BFZ and SOI had some serious design decisions that still baffle me and didn't live up to their predecessors, and Kaladesh was OKish but fell short on its execution.

Woah, woah, woah stop rewriting history. EMN was garbage for standard. Spell Queller was a core piece of UW flash, Emrakul was dumb in GB delirium and turbo emrakul just the same and grim flayer was another pushed cardboard. Ishkanah was also a particularly loathed card before the bans.

Amonkhet looks a bit boring in regards to standard, really just in a what do I need for my deck way.

Did previous sets have so many broken bullshit then? Always felt that the overall power level was on its downswing, with only the Eldrazi in Oath being really broken because of ROE lands. Standard felt mostly stale because of its lack of good answer to a few real threats.

But this is like the first set in four blocks that feels decently designed. BFZ and SOI had some serious design decisions that still baffle me and didn't live up to their predecessors, and Kaladesh was OKish but fell short on its execution.

What Designs in SoI were so awful compared to Original Innistrad? None of the SoI mechanics were anywhere near as shit as Fateful Hour and for an evolution of Innistrad it made thematic sense.

The power level has been stupid on Threats recently, that's the issue as a whole.

EMN gave us Liliana, The Last Hope tho

C9UjWMVUwAAqQB9.jpg:large

Uh this is incredible in limited and if it's constructed playable another piece that makes combat hell.
What Designs in SoI were so awful compared to Original Innistrad? None of the SoI mechanics were anywhere near as shit as Fateful Hour and for an evolution of Innistrad it made thematic sense.

The power level has been stupid on Threats recently, that's the issue as a whole.
Did you already forget Skulk?

kirblar

Skulk was an attempt for a U/B keyword that flopped. It wasn't really an SoI-specific thing...it just ended up that way cause it played badly.

The good sets post-metamorphosis have been OGW, SoI and Amonkhet.

Angry Grimace

Uh, the power level is not low at all, but "power level" is a legitimately meaningless metric concerning Standard because Standard environments don't play against other Standard environments. It's that the balance of power has shifted towards undercosted fatties with spells stapled to them, rather than lots of powerful answers like Mana Leak, Doom Blade, etc.

Ashodin

I can get a turn 4 kill going with Gideon/Glorious End and Uncaged Fury.

Also Thalia's Lieutenant + Gideon being a Human Soldier is nuts

I might even run Repel the Abominable because a one-sided fog is pretty damn good

Wulfric

Seems like a good card, and she is gorgeous. Definitely ordering some foils.

Unfortunately, she's no Flickerwisp. I'd love to have an all female Death and Taxes deck, but she's not quite there.

Angry Grimace

I guess I just don't see Gideon of the Trials being particularly broken. Every deck that exists can answer a Planeswalker. Even if you run 0 removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom