• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That aspect of her has barely been mentioned recently. Being shy and introverted is not the same thing. She might as well be a different character since she became a face.

Santiako

I'm the guy who's been summarizing the stories, and I don't know where you guys are getting that they're addressing her xenophobia >_>.

I follow the story (through your summaries lol) and the only place I've seen the xenophobia thing mentioned is in kirblar's posts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The racism stuff hasn't been dealt with. It was deleted.

I don't see the problem.

Ashodin

The Ultra Pro Eclipse Sleeves are absolutely, positively without a doubt LEGIT AS FUCK.

They're insane quality. Absolutely insane.

Shuffle feel is godlike, corners stay unbent, they don't break.... holy fuck

★★★★★ out of ★★★★★.

Joe Molotov

The Ultra Pro Eclipse Sleeves are absolutely, positively without a doubt LEGIT AS FUCK.

★★★★★ out of ★★★★★.

I picked some up a few weeks ago and I'm loving them as well. My friend turned me on to them, although he said he felt like they picked up sweat and grease more than Hypermats though (but he still likes them).

I'm the guy who's been summarizing the stories, and I don't know where you guys are getting that they're addressing her xenophobia >_>.

Alison Luhrs posted an excerpt of one of the previous stories where she had a pre-breakthrough about how she should learn more about what other people do and how they think and talked about how that was the storyline angle that led to her using blue mana.

★★★★★ out of ★★★★★.

How do they compare to KMC Hyper Matte?

Seems like a good card, and she is gorgeous. Definitely ordering some foils.

Really? My first thought was that the art really didn't look that good. Like it was an Origins card or something. But it's all subjective obvs :)

-

Interested in these Ultra Pro sleeves... Will keep an eye out, for sure

Ashodin

Everyone is vouching for the Eclipses. I hope the store I go for the prerelease has some in store. I'd like to try them.

the black strip inside the sleeve making the whole card uniform with the front of the card (with the black borders) feels awesome to look at.

And the fact that they reinforced the corners to avoid curling corners (which absolutely destroys mash shuffling) is just amazing.

MoxManiac

I got a bunch of the blue eclipse sleeves, and I can vouch for the quality, but I had some issues with color variance. I sleeved a couple EDH decks and since the packs are 80 sleeves a piece and even though they were the same color, they were very slightly different shades of blue; it was possible to tell when holding a handful of cards from the deck. I had to open another pack and re-sleeve a bunch of them.

As it is I have a pile of the sleeves that are slightly darker blue then the other packs and I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm aware they come in blue and light blue, but these were all of the blue variety.

duxstar

Something tells me g/w will not be a competitive color combination in new standard.

I can see as of now the following decks being some form of tier 1 - 2

RDW - theres alot of aggressive red creatures, not much burn to the face, but some of the new red cards might push it.

Some form of Blue/white control deck, whether its esper or not, too many people love playing control and Torrential gearhulk is a busted magic card. In preliminary testing on cockatrice 90% of the decks are one of the above 2 archetypes.

Then the other big 2

Saheeli combo - gets alot alot scarier with More control cards, and make no mistake they printed variations of mana leak, remove soul, and unexpectedly absent in blue.

Saheeli combo will always be the best deck in standard, so unless they ban it; it will be oppressive for the lifetime its in standard.

Mardu vehicles - they printed lots of artifact hate, so this deck might be dead, but its real hard to hate a deck out that is swinging for 10 or 11 on turn 3. Its funny people bitch about no red decks being good, Mardu is your red aggro deck , just with different colors. I get it though, Bant isnt gw like a straight competition gw deck.

Oh well just a quick breakdown.

The card to not sleep on, and i cant beleive im saying this. Approach of the Secomd Sun. It is an amazing sideboard card against control decks, you tax their disallows, let them draw everything else, cast this once then find copy number 2 or 3.

If control decks are a thing this card will be an amazing sideboard card. Note that like the eldrazi cast triggers this doesnt have to resolve either time to win you the game, as far as i understand it.

red13th

They don't sell Ultra Pro Eclipses in here yet, so I just bought a few Dragon Shield Mattes and I loved them.
KMC lately hasn't been the same sadly. :/

Mardu vehicles - they printed lots of artifact hate, so this deck might be dead, but its real hard to hate a deck out that is swinging for 10 or 11 on turn 3. Its funny people bitch about no red decks being good, Mardu is your red aggro deck , just with different colors. I get it though, Bant isnt gw like a straight competition gw deck.

I mean, when people complain about Red decks not being good, I think implicit in that is, "If Red Aggro can't be good, why they fuck is it okay for Artifact Aggro to be good?"

It's hard to say. I think Rhondas, Ally of Zendikar and Heart of Kiran all work really well together and curve right into each other.
Ally of Zendikar is 100% eating a bullet come the next time the Standard banlist is touched. If it doesn't, I'll eat an Ally of Zendikar(and provide proof). 12 Gideon's with Of the Trial's Emblem is stupid beyond belief.

Plus, the faster they rotate Gideon the sooner they can bury BFZ.

I do agree GW is going to be strong though. Rhonas+Gideon of the Trials+other cards seems pushed af.

I'm also willing to bet that we'll see Bant Midrange be a thing because Nissa+Tamiyo+Gideon+Other goodies seems way too good. You can set up Tamiyo's draws with Nissa while also getting Nissa up to ultimate range.

Ally of Zendikar is 100% eating a bullet come the next time the Standard banlist is touched. If it doesn't, I'll eat an Ally of Zendikar(and provide proof). 12 Gideon's with Of the Trial's Emblem is stupid beyond belief.

Just mail it to someone instead. Don't eat Gideon, it's bad for you.

I'm also willing to bet that we'll see Bant Midrange be a thing because Nissa+Tamiyo+Gideon+Other goodies seems way too good. You can set up Tamiyo's draws with Nissa while also getting Nissa up to ultimate range.

I feel like, as much as I would like to see Tamiyo be a thing, this is more your personal desires talking than any real chance of her ever escaping Mediocre Planeswalker Purgatory.

Just mail it to someone instead. Don't eat Gideon, it's bad for you.

I feel like, as much as I would like to see Tamiyo be a thing, this is more your personal desires talking than any real chance of her ever escaping Mediocre Planeswalker Purgatory.
Gideon is just cardboard, I don't think it would hurt me.

I might be wrong with Tamiyo, but I think Bant has a bunch of really strong individual cards (assuming Cat, AoZ, and Heart of Kiran get hit). It's just if they come together or if something prevents it

duxstar

Gideon is just cardboard, I don't think it would hurt me.

I might be wrong with Tamiyo, but I think Bant has a bunch of really strong individual cards (assuming Cat, AoZ, and Heart of Kiran get hit). It's just if they come together or if something prevents it

I have seen people eat the cards and live, id imagine it doesnt taste very good though, tabasco sauce maybe ?

Im thinking more Jeskai control would be more dominant maybe? Harsh Mentor and maybe the other good red cards would work incredibly well with white and blue control stuff.

I'm talking about the like three Hearthstone preview streams I watched in the last month that are not meaningfully different from WotC's here.
I think you misunderstood me. Not the Q&A was weird, it was quite good, the monetization thereof through twitch is weird. You can't subscribe to /playhearthstone, it's not intended to make money directly but through selling product.

Wulfric

Really? My first thought was that the art really didn't look that good. Like it was an Origins card or something. But it's all subjective obvs :)

-

Interested in these Ultra Pro sleeves... Will keep an eye out, for sure

For me, it's the flowing black hair and the way she's slightly off centered. The artist could have pushed the values a bit more, but it's a very pleasing card to look at.

I mean, it might not be poisonous, but you'll probably catch a terminal case of Boring Generic White Dude from it.
Eh, I'll cope with it in the Healthcare System. It would likely come with killer abs, right? I could live with that. And I think you mean "Generic Boring Mediterranean Dude of indeterminate age", considering how his age seems to shift in art
Not to mention he'll get stuck in your intestines for decades. Unless you have Wither your stomach acid can't break him down.
Gideon dies to -X/-X effects, and I'd assume Stomach acid falls in that category of effects. Otherwise I don't think the human body could pass things like dimes.
I have seen people eat the cards and live, id imagine it doesnt taste very good though, tabasco sauce maybe ?
Yeah, they don't taste good, but it's nothing a few sauces can't fix.

Wulfric

Eh, I'll cope with it in the Healthcare System. It would likely come with killer abs, right? I could live with that. And I think you mean "Generic Boring Mediterranean Dude of indeterminate age", considering how his age seems to shift in art.

It's not too bad when you put them together. He just has Benjamin Button disease.

fQQWeVL.jpg

Violet_0

Banned
do you think a Heart of Kiran ban is still necessary even if Giddeon gets banned? New Giddeon only does 1/3 of the things Mardu vehicles wants (well, and feeding loyality counters to Heart), he doesn't really seem to fit all that well into the deck. There aren't really any other walkers to replace him either

Pundere

I wonder if a cycling-based control deck could work. Deem Worthy and Cast Out are both solid removal spells and you even get a shitty Force Spike variant! Add in the new red sweeper and Drake Haven/Curator of Mysteries for win cons and you have a deck just good enough to ruin some poor kid's day at fnm and just bad enough to get stomped by real decks.

Right up my alley.

Dissing on boring mediterranean dudes? You want a fight?

I sure hope you don't turn into an indestructible creature on me!

Hey, don't get me wrong, he has the absolutely spectacular character trait of not being Jace, which is all he really needs if we're going to be honest.

Supast4r

do you think a Heart of Kiran ban is still necessary even if Giddeon gets banned? New Giddeon only does 1/3 of the things Mardu vehicles wants (well, and feeding loyality counters to Heart), he doesn't really seem to fit all that well into the deck. There aren't really any other walkers to replace him either
I don't think Gideon eats a ban tbh. If they ban something it's felidar guardian and that's it.

DrArchon

I hate lay claim. These type of effects at uncommon are bad for limited.

It's a seven mana spell. It's powerful for sure, but with so many aggressive strategies available (tokens and exert mostly) I don't think it'll be an issue.

I'd imagine most people will end up cycling it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Would yall be up for a Magic-GAF discord room? Seems like we're big enough for it, and it'd be a good way to get a testing group going for spoiler season.

https://discord.gg/vw4avWf
The best way to get a testing group would be if people just signed up for the free MTGO beta that comes out on the last day of spoilers every single set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom