• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah I've long hoped they would find a way to bring back the other elder dragons.

ultron87

My main take away from reading/listening to set reviews so far is that I should be valuing and considering cycling much more than I am. I know it is good, but since I haven't played with it in limited before there's still some cards where my card evaluation instincts just think "oh, well I don't want to put that in a deck" from the basic effect that have cycling which actually makes it reasonable.

Djeru's Resolve is an example of this. I read that text (untap creature, prevent damage) and think "meh" without really considering the cycling.

My main take away from reading/listening to set reviews so far is that I should be valuing and considering cycling much more than I am. I know it is good, but since I haven't played with it in limited before there's still some cards where my card evaluation instincts just think "oh, well I don't want to put that in a deck" from the basic effect that have cycling which actually makes it reasonable.

It's best on cards that are very good in specific situations and useless in others, obviously, but it's always a value-add to some degree. It won't necessarily make flat-out bad cards magically playable, but it might make an overcosted card suddenly playable. (Because if you have the mana for it, who cares if it's overcosted, and if you don't, well, at least you can replace it in your hand.)

Legends isn't necessarily set on Dominaria.

I originally wrote a bunch of stuff about the Legends books and everything, but I realized a better answer is: It doesn't really matter. Bolas is an old school character with heavy ties and association to the plane for older players.

It would be cool if he unmasked himself as Palladia-Mors. He looks baller.

You just had to have the luck to pick the one known female Elder Dragon, didn't you?

Djeru's Resolve is an example of this. I read that text (untap creature, prevent damage) and think "meh" without really considering the cycling.

Cycling should very much not be underestimated, yeah. It's very powerful with the amount of flexibility it gives you.

DrArchon

I imagine a lot of newer players are going to end up treating it like Morph was back in KTK, where you have a lot of people (myself included) think the cards are overcosted for their effects and then realizing on gameday that it provides stupid amounts of flexibility.

Seriously, I'm working under the assumption that just about any card with a cycling cost of one mana in your colors should be put in your limited deck, especially if you have one or two bombs that you really need to draw to win the game.

I imagine a lot of newer players are going to end up treating it like Morph was back in KTK, where you have a lot of people (myself included) think the cards are overcosted for their effects and then realizing on gameday that it provides stupid amounts of flexibility.

Seriously, I'm working under the assumption that just about any card with a cycling cost of one mana in your colors should be put in your limited deck, especially if you have one or two bombs that you really need to draw to win the game.

Pretty much. Although it's more "Is there any remotely reasonable chance I might want to cast this?" and if the answer is yes, which it is the vast majority of the time, then it's a strong contender to include. But, as Luis points out for Compelling Argument in his blue review, there are some cards that are so bad and useless that not even cycling can save them.

Jamiaro

Would it be okay for some of you experienced players to check my EDH-deck? I won't post any links here since I'm not sure that it is allowed.

Would it be okay for some of you experienced players to check my EDH-deck? I won't post any links here since I'm not sure that it is allowed.

Go nuts. Though, who is it for playing against? Friends? Online? LGS?

The advice varies greatly, because there are a lot of things you can and probably should do for the more "open" environments that arguably make you an asshole if you do them when playing (proper) friendly games.

OnPoint

If we don't get a return of any of the classic Elder Dragons, which current Elder Dragons do you think could spark out and become Planeswalkers? Ojutai is the obvious choice, but Narset already kind of fills that role. I can't think of a good choice of the current five from Tarkir.

Alternatively, if they sparked Niv Mizzet, do you think they'd add a third color?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Didn't Bolas kill all the other Elder Dragons?
He said he did way before they started messing with the story. He's not a reliable source. He also thinks Ugin is dead. Because he delivered a killing blow and then walked off and assumed he died like a 70s Bond villain.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bolas says Bolas killed the Elder Dragons, as far as I remember. So there's wiggle room there.
He claims he did but the early scattered lore suggests he didn't kill any of them. Chromium Rhuell was killed by Tevesh Szat, Arcades Sabboth kinda sorta died in a duel with Leshrac, Vaevictis Asmadi was killed by Palladia-Mors and Palladia-Mors was killed by Some Guy.

They're just wasting popular characters leaving them "dead."

I honestly don't know much about Mizzet as a character. RTR did a poor job getting anyone who wasn't around for OG RAV up to speed on the players. How is he like Bolas?

He's a dragon who thinks he's smarter than literally everyone else and spends all his time coming up with moronically convoluted schemes but accomplishing very little.

He's basically just a mini-Bolas who exists for the sake of being rooted to Ravnica, since actual Bolas can't be.

If we don't get a return of any of the classic Elder Dragons, which current Elder Dragons do you think could spark out and become Planeswalkers? Ojutai is the obvious choice, but Narset already kind of fills that role. I can't think of a good choice of the current five from Tarkir.

Alternatively, if they sparked Niv Mizzet, do you think they'd add a third color?
I mean, I don't think there's much to be had if you spark either Kolaghan/Atarka/Silumgar, so I guess the only option left is Dromoka? But we've already got a GW Walker(but her abilities would obviously be different). It'd also be interesting to see how the Brood gets along without her since she is the Denmother

Jamiaro

Go nuts. Though, who is it for playing against? Friends? Online? LGS?

The advice varies greatly, because there are a lot of things you can and probably should do for the more "open" environments that arguably make you an asshole if you do them when playing (proper) friendly games.

The deck is mainly for playing at my local gamestore. I've had about 1 year break from the game, so I'm not entirely sure what good cards there are in Orzhov-colors now. I have only played MTG for a about 1,5 years total and I only ha e experience in EDH.

The meta in my local store is very competitive, with inf.combos, heavy blue, heavy counterspells. Examples of Commanders at the store (these are the good ones):

- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
- Attraxa
- Gittrog
- Narset, Enlightened Master
- Gaddock Teeg (Stax)

Then there are some younger players with Karthus, Momir Vig amd some others...

And now, the deck!!!

Teysa, Orzhov Scion, with Darkest Hour, Blasting Station, Nim Deathmantle, Contamination, Necropotence etc... My goal would be to use the typical Teysa combos and if those won't work, I'll bash people with tokens.

/http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-06-15-teysa-with-a-bit-of-everything

Ps: Typing on mobile sucks.

Yes, that's a good analogy. In fact, consistently one of the things about many of the best all-time mechanics (flashback, cycling, etc.) is that they look overcosted until you account for the benefit properly, at which point you realize just how good they actually are. Being built around two flashback-y mechanics and cycling is why Amonkhet feels structurally really similar to something like Innistrad to me -- lots of value/flex mechanics without much in the way of prebaked linear strategies

Are the novels not cannon any more? Where were those set? I can't remember.

No those are all still true, though they're old enough that WotC is pretty happy to alter their history as needed.

DrArchon

If they want another Elder Dragon walker, they'd probably just opt to create a new one out of scratch, like they did with Ugin. I can't see them going with any of the Tarkir ones or Niv Mizzet, as they're all too tied down to their respective planes.

Firemind

I honestly don't know much about Mizzet as a character. RTR did a poor job getting anyone who wasn't around for OG RAV up to speed on the players. How is he like Bolas?
He isn't. The lack of black mana is there for a reason. Basically, he does shit because he's bored. Whereas Bolas wants to accomplish goals to fuel his power, Niv-Mizzet has simply grown tired of Ravnica's daily routine. He is one of the original guild leaders who signed the Guildpact 10,000 years ago after all. In the original Ravnica story, he went to battle the Nephilim just to see if he could beat them. He killed two of them, then flew off because he was getting bored.

A friend and I are going to a Amonkhet pre-release event. What is the usual draft like? Do I need to bring other cards/decks that I have?

What I assume is that we just open boosters, make a deck from just them and play but what if you don't have enough cards of a type?

I think he's just misusing the term draft, not thinking it is a draft.

Anyway, the prerelease is known as a sealed event, where you are given a bunch of booster packs and are given free reign to make a deck out of those cards. In draft, each drafter passes around booster packs and takes a card from each. You see more cards total, and thus have greater control over your deck's contents, though your ending card pool is smaller.

Sealed is more luck-based than draft, and there are always going to be times where you don't get enough good creatures or removal. When that happens, throw caution to the wind and do multicolor aggro or some weird janky deck. Prerelease is a casual event anyway.

I think he's just misusing the term draft, not thinking it is a draft.

Anyway, the prerelease is known as a sealed event, where you are given a bunch of booster packs and are given free reign to make a deck out of those cards. In draft, each drafter passes around booster packs and takes a card from each. You see more cards total, and thus have greater control over your deck's contents, though your ending card pool is smaller.

Sealed is more luck-based than draft, and there are always going to be times where you doing get enough good creatures or removal. When that happens, through caution to the wind and do multicolor aggro or some weird janky deck. Prerelease is a casual event anyway.

Yep, just misusing the term. Thanks for the info!

robosllim

nah, 5 classic Planeswalkers

U/G Urza- "He's very Simic"
R/U Jaya Ballard- "She's very cunning and crafty, very Izzet"
W/B Teferi- "While previous versions have been Blue, the idea of talking a contenent and sealing it off from everyone else is a very Orzhov idea"
W/R Serra- "The Plane she created solely with White mana is a very Boros idea"
G/B Daria- "This Planeswalker is pictured on one card, a White Disenchant varient, and we killed her in the book about 20 pages after introducing her. This is very Golgari"
Is this your own reasoning, or are you assuming Wizards would come up with super weak justifications for forcing these two-color planeswalkers?
Urza did dabble in eugenics, but he was an artificer first. I'd sooner see him Izzet than Simic.
Jaya is the embodiment of red mana. No way she'd gain any blue.
Teferi phased Jamuraa (and Shiv) out to protect his people and avoid fighting. It may have been selfish when taken in the whole context of Dominaria, but at a personal level it was completely selfless. He's UW all the way.
Serra is pure white. Radiant definitely brought some red into the picture when Serra left, but Serra isn't militant.
And... I don't know enough about Daria.

I'd much rather not see these walkers at all rather than have them shoehorned into colors they don't belong in.

Angry Grimace

I am torn. A 4x Common / Uncommon set on ebay Canada is $59 CAN + $5 shipping ($44 USD + $4 shipping)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MTG-Complete...sh=item3f7969658d:g:jocAAOSwmgJY5VUX#shpCntId

I am tempted, but this seems a bit high. Thoughts? Unless you know of a better deal. Do local stores do this? I don't think any of mine do, but I have never asked, to be fair.

I don't know why you would bother unless you knew you needed those cards. Honestly seems like a full on waste of money.

Angry Grimace

Magic Story summary:

Jace and Liliana were fucking when they formed the Gatewatch, but Gideon inadvertently stopped them by complaining Jace wasn't around enough.

OnPoint

Is this your own reasoning, or are you assuming Wizards would come up with super weak justifications for forcing these two-color planeswalkers?
Urza did dabble in eugenics, but he was an artificer first. I'd sooner see him Izzet than Simic.
Jaya is the embodiment of red mana. No way she'd gain any blue.
Teferi phased Jamuraa (and Shiv) out to protect his people and avoid fighting. It may have been selfish when taken in the whole context of Dominaria, but at a personal level it was completely selfless. He's UW all the way.
Serra is pure white. Radiant definitely brought some red into the picture when Serra left, but Serra isn't militant.
And... I don't know enough about Daria.

I'd much rather not see these walkers at all rather than have them shoehorned into colors they don't belong in.

I believe it was a joke post haha

Magic Story - Servants
* Liliana is relaxing with mummies serving her food, as depicted in her card art.
* She's uncomfortable with zombies following her command without having to use necromancy. Ever since they got into the city, she hasn't dared use necromancy, assuming it could cause a dangerous reaction. She instead sent out shades to search for information about Razaketh, one of the demons she formed a contract with.
* Raven Man suddenly appears. Liliana continues to wonder if he's just a figment of her imagination. He taunts her about her new friends and how she isn't actually doing anything about Razaketh.
* He claims he protected her mind from Emrakul and took control of the Chain Veil to save her when a wurm ate her in the first Amonkhet story. This surprises her.
* Jace approaches and Raven Man disappears.
* Jace and Liliana talk about the mummies, and how they need more information.
* One of Liliana's shades appears with information. It leads them to a building with carvings depicting Razaketh. They go inside.
* They see mummies drag some newly dead initiates inside and follow them. There is basically an assembly line of mummification, with organs stored in unmarked communal jars and bodies set on racks. There is nothing religious about this, it's purely practical.
* Some bodies start moving before the process is complete. Cartouches are placed to keep them under control.
* They see more carvings, explaining that there is a final trial as Bolas opens the gate to the afterlife: Razaketh will be behind it, purging the unworthy who remain.
* Razaketh, through the carvings, detects Liliana. He tries to evoke her contract, but the Chain Veil protects her, so the mummies attack them instead.
* She tries to use necromancy to control the zombies, but the cartouches stop her. They pull one off a mummy, but the mummy disintegrates.
* The mummies stop when Temmet approaches. He talked with Kefnet's viziers and confirmed the Gatewatch have no birth record. He angrily confronts them, and Liliana takes the opportunity to insult Bolas. This makes him angrier, but it gave time for Jace to take control of him.
* Temmet is resistant to mind control, so Jace can't erase his memory, but has him command the mummies to let them go. They run away.

Angry Grimace

I actually think Amonkhet's world building has done a really good job making the place seem really fucking creepy and unsettling. The flavor stuff is really good.

OnPoint

So some of the mummies in the city are totally the previous residents of the city that Bolas turned into mummy servants, right? We all know this?

Lucario

Magic Story - Servants
* Liliana is relaxing with mummies serving her food, as depicted in her card art.
* She's uncomfortable with zombies following her command without having to use necromancy. Ever since they got into the city, she hasn't dared use necromancy, assuming it could cause a dangerous reaction. She instead sent out shades to search for information about Razaketh, one of the demons she formed a contract with.
* Raven Man suddenly appears. Liliana continues to wonder if he's just a figment of her imagination. He taunts her about her new friends and how she isn't actually doing anything about Razaketh.
* He claims he protected her mind from Emrakul and took control of the Chain Veil to save her when a wurm ate her in the first Amonkhet story. This surprises her.
* One of Liliana's shades appears with information. It leads them to a building with carvings depicting Razaketh. They go inside.
* They see mummies drag some newly dead initiates inside and follow them. There is basically an assembly line of mummification, with organs stored in unmarked communal jars and bodies set on racks. There is nothing religious about this, it's purely practical.
* Some bodies start moving before the process is complete. Cartouches are placed to keep them under control.
* They see more carvings, explaining that there is a final trial before Bolas opens the gate to the afterlife: Razaketh will be behind it, purging the unworthy who remain.
* Razaketh, through the carvings, detects Liliana. He tries to evoke her contract, but the Chain Veil protects her, so the mummies attack them instead.
* She tries to use necromancy to control the zombies, but the cartouches stop her. They pull one off a mummy, but the mummy disintegrates.
* The mummies stop when Temmet approaches. He talked with Kefnet's viziers and confirmed the Gatewatch have no birth record. He angrily confronts them, and Liliana takes the opportunity to insult Bolas. This makes him angrier, but it gave time for Jace to take control of him.
* Temmet is resistant to mind control, so Jace can't erase his memory, but has him command the mummies to let them go. They run away.

She swallowed the grape, seeds and all of course—spitting was so undignified.

"Hello, Jace," she said. "Brunch?"

"It's past midday," he said.

"It's a late brunch."

He gritted his teeth.

"That's . . . just . . . lunch."

Griselbrand was far more dangerous, but he'd been bound within a prison of magical silver. Liliana bullied a hapless local into blowing the thing up and shredded the demon while he was still disoriented.

....When did the writing get better?

also Jace is just wrong, you can eat brunch whenever the hell you want

Angry Grimace

....When did the writing get better?

also Jace is just wrong, you can eat brunch whenever the hell you want

It's not that the writing is "better," its that Liliana is the only practical person in the Gatewatch so writing from her perspective tends to result in better stories.

RedZaraki

Banned
I haven't played Magic the Gathering since Saviors of Kamigawa.

In a few words, (or perhaps card spoilers).....what's the biggest "stuff" I've missed?

Anything as OP as Affinity was during Mirrodin block? New card types and mechanics?

Probably not going to start playing again, but I do like learning about what's been happening.

Justin

Magic Story - Servants
* They see more carvings, explaining that there is a final trial as Bolas opens the gate to the afterlife: Razaketh will be behind it, purging the unworthy who remain.

Are you posting these on SA too? I just read almost this same post there except for a few lines changed or added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom