• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The card gets better with Shadow of the Grave, essentially making your hand into a boardwipe for five mana.

It's... okay? I mean you're still spending Nahiri's Wrath + Shadow of the Grave, so you're still dropping two cards on spreading damage across X targets. You could probably spend two cards to wipe their board in a more efficient way or ten.

Ashodin

It's... okay? I mean you're still spending Nahiri's Wrath + Shadow of the Grave, so you're still dropping two cards on spreading damage across X targets. You could probably spend two cards to wipe their board in a more efficient way or ten.
Oh definitely. Just neat that the interaction is opened up because of that card. The jank!

red13th

omg that Nissa paiting video. Absolutely gorgeous. And it's on a super amazing card to boot.
Bye Trygon Predator, you were amazing but Nissa's something else.

Crocodile

liliana_2_by_dopaprime-db5n6o1.jpg
Source

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why don't Planeswalkers get new clothes ever?

Seems like a really weird trope to stick to when their outfits aren't necessarily all that iconic. It's particularly stupid when every single arc has revolved around the Gatewatch showing up to some Plane trying to blend in....except they're wearing clothes from a DIFFERENT FUCKING PLANET.

Why don't Planeswalkers get new clothes ever

Well... Liliana's costume design is actually pretty good, so I get that.

And Jace kind of needs his dumb hoodie, because without it he doesn't actually have a character design.

No reason you can't go nuts with the rest, though. Especially Chandra, none of her costumes have been spectacular and her character design should show through almost regardless of how you dress her.

Seems like a really weird trope to stick to when their outfits aren't necessarily all that iconic.

Because when the Spark was taken from them and they lost their shapeshifting they were stuck permanently in whatever they'd last shifted into. They're not clothes, they're extensions of their body. Liliana is technically naked all the time.

They do get new clothes, Gideon got new armor to make him 50% more Amonkhet.

Ashodin

Seems like a really weird trope to stick to when their outfits aren't necessarily all that iconic. It's particularly stupid when every single arc has revolved around the Gatewatch showing up to some Plane trying to blend in....except they're wearing clothes from a DIFFERENT FUCKING PLANET.

Gideon's clothes change every plane. He's wearing totally new armor on Amonkhet. Sure he has the same silhouette (which is what they want) but there's definitely a difference.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because when the Spark was taken from them and they lost their shapeshifting they were stuck permanently in whatever they'd last shifted into. They're not clothes, they're extensions of their body. Liliana is technically naked all the time.

They do get new clothes, Gideon got new armor to make him 50% more Amonkhet.

I mean, they could handwave it by saying Jace uses illusions to make them look like locals, but it doesn't explain why they never change clothes ever.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Probably cuz they're superheroes and they change costumes as often as superheroes do (which is rarely if ever).

It's one of those things you're supposed to overlook like "does Gideon poop?"

Ashodin

Probably cuz they're superheroes and they change costumes as often as superheroes do (which is rarely if ever).

This is why I hate the Gatewatch as superheroes

That and coffee no jutsu

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It is a puzzle why they don't get more clothing changes though. Assuming the Jacetice league are in fact using Riot and Blizzard's blueprint for icon characters, then it would make sense for them to change getups every plane to heighten their appeal.

If they were following the Riot plan they'd actually be making new Planeswalkers more often rather than having three or more copies of each Gatewatcher in Standard.

Angry Grimace

That's because superheroes wear costumes which they aren't persistently wearing.

It is a puzzle why they don't get more clothing changes though. Assuming the Jacetice league are in fact using Riot and Blizzard's blueprint for icon characters, then it would make sense for them to change getups every plane to heighten their appeal.

I can't wait until we get to Hipster World. Gideon won't even have to do anything. He already has Ironic Facial Hair.

Angry Grimace

I'm skeptical they'd put a different Masters set out the same year as Modern Masters.

Ashodin

Iconic Masters. Likely a lot of signature cards in every format printed. Interesting.

red13th is the most cube hungry person on this thread lmao

Looking at the blocks I played a couple years ago and the prices now almost makes me sick. I got rid of all my Karns except one when they were $30 a piece. Still incredibly how some stuff has fallen off and other stuff has skyrocketed.

Ashodin

Looking at the blocks I played a couple years ago and the prices now almost makes me sick. I got rid of all my Karns except one when they were $30 a piece. Still incredibly how some stuff has fallen off and other stuff has skyrocketed.

Different formats have risen and fallen which have made some of the cards fall or rise in price.

Commander being a popular eternal format makes a lot of stuff great in value (if not crazy high because you only need one ofs)

And Modern and Legacy continue to drive high value cards to be sold for... well, high value.

Ashodin

For real though, Iconic Masters sounds exactly what I would assume is the inaugural Dominaria / Magic 25th kickoff Anniversary Set.

Angry Grimace

There's a contingent of people on the beta that keep playing New Perspectives and then doing a billion cards of cycling before fizzling and not understanding why its a stupid waste of time that makes everyone hate you.

Ashodin

There's a contingent of people on the beta that keep playing New Perspectives and then doing a billion cards of cycling before fizzling and not understanding why its a stupid waste of time that makes everyone hate you.

Desperate storm players want to simulate it in standard

Angry Grimace

Desperate storm players want to simulate it in standard

Storm is literally less tedious. Like if someone played it at FNM I'd call them an asshole. It takes fucking FOREVER to execute and it doesn't do anything like half the time.

Wulfric

Iconic Masters? That seems kinda excessive for one year. Presumably it ought to be part of the 25th anniversary celebration? i don't even know what marque cards would be left to print.

*clutches Rishadan Ports to his chest*

Angry Grimace

I'm betting the same people are holding out for some sort of cycling win condition in HOU.

They usually try to draw their whole deck play Archfiend and hope you don't ever answer Archfiend.

You also have to live 6 turns and draw + resolve New Perspectives.

red13th

Iconic Masters? That seems kinda excessive for one year. Presumably it ought to be part of the 25th anniversary celebration? i don't even know what marque cards would be left to print.

*clutches Rishadan Ports to his chest*

sure:

Rishadan Port
Mana Drain
Imperial Recruiter
Umezawa's Jitte
Armageddon/Ravages of War
Land Tax
Upheaval
True-Name Nemesis
Channel
Mind Twist
Imperial Seal
Opposition
Stoneforge Mystic
Worldly Tutor
Rolling Earthquake
Smokestack
Strip Mine
Tangle Wire
Lotus Petal
Burning of Xinye
Petrified Field
Cabal Coffers
Deserted Temple

these are the cards in my EMA2 wishlist

EDIT: removed Crop Rotation since it was in Nissa vs Ob!

I also built this deck. I played it once and realized that it can literally never win.

You can build a somewhat functional control deck with Drake Haven as the wincon, but New Perspectives is a huge trap.

ironmang

Surprised it took them this long to put another set closer to the shopping season. Would be nice if they focused more on the quality of the sets, formats, and tournaments instead of just dumping out more and more products but I guess they have to chase that growth or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom