• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Since we have a solid answer to the Reserved List discussion, should we go back to discussing whether Stoneforge Mystic should be unbanned in Modern? Or are we back around to bitching about how lame the Gatewatch is?

What about guns in magic? Is Urza green? Was Nahiri wrong? That should cover it until the next thread.

Son1x

The prices might have helped in US sure, but on mcm they're a lot closer to their pre MM3 spoiler prices, especially the god damn fetch lands we won't see for years.

Don't forget that everything not reprinted spiked a lot more than the reprinted prices dropped.

ultron87

I'm excited for the midnight release tonight! If I could have any deck I'd make the Green/Black counters one, but that seems more likely to come together in draft. I guess most of those cards are still pretty fine even on their own, since the bodies aren't that bad even if you have to put the counters on itself.

In that theme, on first reading, I didn't realize with Decimator Beetle you place a -1/-1 counter even if you don't have any on your side to remove.

Image.ashx

red13th

Stoneforge Mystic would be a great reprint for Iconic Masters, with Jitte or Batterskull as mythics and a lot of equipment!

OnPoint

Every time myself or others try to open new discussions we haven't had y'all mostly ignore them, so we end up in those conversation cycles because... I don't know? All I know is I'm done ever discussing them until we have new reasons, and for most I hope we never do.

red13th

I get the impression that people in here actively want to discuss the same handful of topics again and again

Well people who don't parttake in the same topics usually end up talking to themselves so that's a good reason not to talk about other stuff.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess its part of the problem with the way they announce sets. They announce stuff without anything at all to go along with them, so it ends up feelings really flat and lame.

Announcement Day was basically the same - you'd get the name of a set and nothing else.

Every time myself or others try to open new discussions we haven't had y'all mostly ignore them, so we end up in those conversation cycles because... I don't know? All I know is I'm done ever discussing them until we have new reasons, and for most I hope we never do.

We need Magic cards called Tipping and Circumcision, just so we can bring those up here on GAF.

Topic: me and my girlfriend are getting into Modern! Sticker shock.

She's getting a burn deck together, very typically of her. She's a traditional red deck wins girls.

Me? I have aspirations and realities to deal with.

I have everything for a Bant eldrazi or spirits deck minus the engineered explosives, misty rainforests, and cavern of souls. I'd like to look those decks but my heart leans more toward snapcaster strategies.

I bought 3 mm17 snaps last week. Ouch. Looking to trade for the 4th. I figured now was the best time to get them even just to have them. But it has me thinking of building a deck for them.

I want to build grixis control or maybe UW. I like grixis more, but it's far more dependent on a combination of 3 and 4-ofs of cryptic command and ancestral vision, both of which I own 0. And for either deck, I would need the creature lands as well. I think I would have most of the main decks for either though.

Do you guys have any advice here? Is it a good time to be picking up the staples and getting one of these together? Or would I be better off biting some leather and paying out for the explosives and caverns to play eldrazi til a later date? I'm not huge on the unhealthy patterns deaths shadow is causing so I don't think I'll be going that route. And I think I can't stomach trading or buying into goyfs.

I know plenty about the modern meta, but not enough about the realities on the ground.

And btw, I play in an area that is really really competitive for modern, so putting together my "half-made slivers deck for shits and giggles" will only end in frustrations.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Going down the rabbit hole of buying Modern cards just because you will use them in the future is a huge fucking trap. Cards have significantly less liquidity than people like to believe.

Trust me, I have basically every Modern staple card, and I'm wishing I could unload all of them at this point now that I'm going through a divorce and don't have shit for money.

DrArchon

I'm excited for the midnight release tonight! If I could have any deck I'd make the Green/Black counters one, but that seems more likely to come together in draft. I guess most of those cards are still pretty fine even on their own, since the bodies aren't that bad even if you have to put the counters on itself.

Yeah, I can't remember being this excited about a release event in a long time. I'd be perfectly fine with pretty much any of the available limited strategies for my sealed deck. Heavy cycling, -1/-1 counters, zombie tribal, borderline hellbent, they all sound really fun to play and play around.

Knowing my luck I'll end up with that cruddy BR Minotaur lord and feel forced to make some janky Minotaur tribal deck though.

Bandini

Going down the rabbit hole of buying Modern cards just because you will use them in the future is a huge fucking trap. Cards have significantly less liquidity than people like to believe.

Trust me, I have basically every Modern staple card, and I'm wishing I could unload all of them at this point now that I'm going through a divorce and don't have shit for money.

No luck with ebay? It'd be a bit of a project, but selling with Buy It Now at a buck or two cheaper than what you're seeing in the sold auctions listings should get a nice chunk of change.

Firemind

Sorry to hear that man. Best of luck.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You lie. You'll end up discussing them again like the rest of us.

Yep. With a few exceptions you generally should just get the cards you need to build the deck(s) you want to make and not worry about getting anything you don't have a near immediate need for. Exceptions can be stuff you'll use in a lot of places like if you can get cheap fetches or something but even that can be iffy.

Good luck with your situation. :x

noquarter

It can be a trap, and I would be very cautious buying Modern staples that I'm not using. Modern has a pretty flexible meta and cards tend to trend like stocks more then other formats, with swings.

But, if the card is used in more than one format and you would be willing to use it in another deck as well, I would still recommend that you have a list that you are building up. Lands can get used in all sorts of formats, wouldn't say no to getting them. Some creatures (like Snapcaster) and spells are the same, and isn't too bad to have ready if you want to play them. Stuff like Goryo's Vengeance I would stay away from unless I was going to play the deck.

Where have you attempted to sell and at what prices? Everytime I have tried to offload cards, going between buy prices and TCG low has been pretty good (usually like 80-90% of TCG Low is a good medium) and cards have moved on Salvation and MOTL. eBay is sort of iffy, don't make as much there, but high dollar ($100+) I have had decent looking with BIN and Best Offers.

Sorry to hear about everything else and wish you the best.

Angry Grimace

No luck with ebay? It'd be a bit of a project, but selling with Buy It Now at a buck or two cheaper than what you're seeing in the sold auctions listings should get a nice chunk of change.

It's a lot of effort to sell cards on eBay. You have to deal with returns, selling cards that are like $10, people whining about condition, etc.

y2dvd

I am relieved from a selfish perspective because my duals would be worth squat overnight if that happened.

I am annoyed from a player perspective because god damn it I want to play Legacy with lots and lots of people.

They can easily be smart about the reprint so the prices doesn't completely tank. Most of the staples from the master sets have either already caught back up prior to reprint or they are a little less.

Make all RL cards Masterpieces or print them all at mythics in a master set, limit the supply even lower than usual and charge $20 a pack or something ridiculous. I dunno, I just want more in the market. :/

I'm not in the boat where I feel like there's no way to justify Iconic Masters without a Reserved List breach, but it's really, really hard to believe there's a way to justify the whole "secret release" thing without breaking the RL.

Like, if it's just sort-of okay as sets go, don't bother with all that. It just feels like an attempt to dupe people into buying into a blind draft that's going to be disappointing, now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'll take new art from if it's up to standards. Outside of shadows, I don't feel kindly towards any of the post Tarkir sets on the art front.

Well, I mean, what are the most expensive iconic creature cards they can realistically reprint?

They just reprinted Linvala and Griselbrand, for instance. The Innistrad angels are mostly pretty modestly priced as it is. There aren't a ton of expensive demons, and most dragons are actually dirt-cheap. The only halfway expensive hydra is Progenitus, and I don't think there even is a legitimately expensive sphinx.

So, it's going to be a themed set where you're only ever happy to open non-theme cards (Aether Vial reprints or whatever they fill with)? That's... not a great look, and I'm saying that as basically the target audience for this set. (I've run Dragons, Angels, and Dragon/Angel/Demon EDH decks at some point or another.)

Angry Grimace

They'll probably cheapen out on Shivan Dragon.

Yellow Dragon back for more

Well, I mean, what are the most expensive iconic creature cards they can realistically reprint?

They just reprinted Linvala and Griselbrand, for instance. The Innistrad angels are mostly pretty modestly priced as it is. There aren't a ton of expensive demons, and most dragons are actually dirt-cheap. The only halfway expensive hydra is Progenitus, and I don't think there even is a legitimately expensive sphinx.

So, it's going to be a themed set where you're only ever happy to open non-theme cards (Aether Vial reprints or whatever they fill with)? That's... not a great look, and I'm saying that as basically the target audience for this set. (I've run Dragons, Angels, and Dragon/Angel/Demon EDH decks at some point or another.)

Most "iconic" cards are either on the reserved list, banned from Modern or worth nothing.

Justin

As someone who has been playing magic for all of two weeks, I couldn't care less about the reserved cards. The most iconic card to me is the foil land I got from the open house last weekend. I hope they don't reprint that. It seems a bit too soon for it.

Wulfric

Yellow Dragon back for more

Most "iconic" cards are either on the reserved list, banned from Modern or worth nothing.

What about TCGPlayer? It might take a while, but I was able to get rid of plenty of mid-tier cards this way. I always mark cards Lightly Played just so people don't complain about a .001 mm white nick on the back.

As someone who has been playing magic for all of two weeks, I couldn't care less about the reserved cards. The most iconic card to me is the foil land I got from the open house last weekend. I hope they don't reprint that. It seems a bit too soon for it.

Bad news: they're going to print foil lands in every single set. (And I will open all of them, because it's my special talent.)

kirblar

(More are entering the market today lol)

Wulfric

Bad news: There are more coming out this weekend. 1/4 of the lands in booster packs will be full art.

Good news: You can get more foil full art lands!

badum tsss

Daedardus

You're forgetting Consecrated Sphinx.

But in no doubt they will use the fact that every pack has a foil as a reason to jack up the MSRP.

Supast4r

Since we have a solid answer to the Reserved List discussion, should we go back to discussing whether Stoneforge Mystic should be unbanned in Modern? Or are we back around to bitching about how lame the Gatewatch is?

Unban Mystic; ban batterskull. Can't have both or Bant Eldrazi/Abzan become too good.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
What are the odds that Iconic Masters is going to have a lot of "iconic" cards, reprinted with new art that focuses on the iconic creature types. So, Ancestral Vision has art of a sphinx remembering the past, instead of a pyramid, Thoughtsieze has a demon wrenching a spell out of a mage, Sylvan Library is hydra reading 18 books at a time, etc.

Calling Cryptic command balanced is like calling Snapcaster mage balanced....

Sure—but is it more or less balanced than Ancestral Vision?

Pundere

Dammit, OF COURSE I have to work overtime tonight of all nights. Was super psyched about the midnight prerelease but I'll have to settle for tomorrow afternoon.

Also, I'm thinking of making a midrange-y Bant standard deck. Do you guys think it'd be better to use the energy package (Attune/Servant/Aether Hub) or just go with Oath of Nissa and Channeler Initiate for fixing?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I am going to take a pic of my prerelease pulls in 50 mins so get ready to give me some mad opinions

They're running out of attention grabbers though. Port and Mana Drain are two of the only cards that are iconic, expensive, non-RL, and haven't been reprinted in a booster set.

So doing some quick breakdowns:

There's a total of 56 non-reserved cards that are over $30 in secondary market price today. Remove everything that was in MM3 or currently in Standard and that's down to 49. Remove cards from EMA and that's down to 45.

What's left mostly falls in a few categories: Portal cards (15), artifacts that missed MM3 due to Kaladesh Inventions (8), mid-era unreprinted Modern-type cards (6), cards that have risen from MMA/MM2 (6 that don't overlap another category), casual/commander cards (4), and never-reprinted-in-packs eternal staples (4).

Full list:

Capture of Jingzhou $400.50
Zodiac Dragon $222.46
Grim Tutor $204.70
Imperial Recruiter $191.27
Imperial Seal $160.17
Mana Drain $152.19
Rishadan Port $102.75

Riding the Dilu Horse $74.99
Flusterstorm $73.45
Dong Zhou, the Tyrant $64.99
Noble Hierarch $60.04
Horizon Canopy $58.79
Karn Liberated $57.39
Chalice of the Void $57.18
Crucible of Worlds $56.65
Doubling Season $54.95
Engineered Explosives $52.06
Mox Opal $50.37
Ancestral Vision $49.01

Ravages of War $48.05
Through the Breach $44.65
Leovold, Emissary of Trest $44.42
Goblin Settler $44.40
Dark Confidant $43.27
Zhang Fei, Fierce Warrior $42.28
Scapeshift $40.05
Grove of the Burnwillows $40.04
Three Visits $39.99
Food Chain $38.23
Yuan Shao, the Indecisive $37.99
Mishra's Bauble $37.36
Aether Vial $36.94
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn $36.49
Ensnaring Bridge $35.47
Arcbound Ravager $35.04
Temporal Manipulation $34.98
Sword of Fire and Ice $34.69
Meng Huo, Barbarian King $34.34
Sliver Legion $33.74
Kaalia of the Vast $33.66
Fulminator Mage $33.48
Pact of Negation $31.88
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed $31.84
Twilight Mire $31.14
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon $30.64

I bolded some that seem like they might be picks for this set.

Kaalia of the Vast is pretty much a lay-up if you're doing Dragons, Angels, and Demons as themes of the set, yeah. Figure Ugin and Bolas will be there as planeswalkers, maybe with a special guest in third. The rest are kind of... ehhh, I guess they work? MM3 was pretty light on artifacts, so maybe that's a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom