• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fake Magic cards are getting so good that dual lands etc. will be totally worthless in a couple of years. It's hard to justify paying huge prices for cards when buyers and sellers are probably not going to be aware of what they are buying is real or not.

I bet Iconic Masters is going to flop. If the set is a secret until it's released and they quashed the possibility of tons of juicy stuff to be reprinted, there is nothing to build hype.

Firemind

Black borded Zodiac Dragon would get me so hard.

I almost bought a Traditional Chinese Zodiac Dragon for $120 but then I thought: "Nah, white borded sucks."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I bet Iconic Masters is going to flop. If the set is a secret until it's released and they quashed the possibility of tons of juicy stuff to be reprinted, there is nothing to build hype.

I just don't think the market exists for 2 of these sets a year.

For all the crap we rightly dump on MTGO, I do want to give them props for this new early-release thing.

Fake Magic cards are getting so good that dual lands etc. will be totally worthless in a couple of years.

Nah, supply of fakes that are actually good enough to consistently pass still isn't nearly high enough relative to the overall player population for this. It's a risk, but still far from an imminent one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My biggest problem with MTGO isn't anything to do with the interface or how it works. It's that paying the same price to just play at your house feels shitty because nothing it does replicates the experience of live play.

Going to FNM is like an actual thing you are doing with your life, whereas playing MTGO in your underwear feels a lot more like grinding out levels in World of Warcraft or something.

Going to FNM is like an actual thing you are doing with your life, whereas playing MTGO in your underwear feels a lot more like grinding out levels in World of Warcraft or something.

tbh at least when someone calls me a mexican jew lizard in WOW I can just log off and go make a sandwich or something

My biggest problem with MTGO isn't anything to do with the interface or how it works. It's that paying the same price to just play at your house feels shitty because nothing it does replicates the experience of live play.

A million times this.

Leagues improved the user experience tenfold, but it's still too damn expensive.

MoxManiac

I wish Iconic Masters was more like a Conspiracy type with 36 pack boxes and $4 MSRP packs, even if it means a lower value set as a whole. They are really pushing the drafting aspect of Iconic Masters and the $10 price point is idiocy. It sorta makes sense for MMA and EMA since they are reprinting a ton of high dollar cards but IMA (or whatever the acronym is going to be) should be more accessible, IMO.

ironmang

So doing some quick breakdowns:

There's a total of 56 non-reserved cards that are over $30 in secondary market price today. Remove everything that was in MM3 or currently in Standard and that's down to 49. Remove cards from EMA and that's down to 45.

What's left mostly falls in a few categories: Portal cards (15), artifacts that missed MM3 due to Kaladesh Inventions (8), mid-era unreprinted Modern-type cards (6), cards that have risen from MMA/MM2 (6 that don't overlap another category), casual/commander cards (4), and never-reprinted-in-packs eternal staples (4).

Full list:

Capture of Jingzhou $400.50
Zodiac Dragon $222.46
Grim Tutor $204.70
Imperial Recruiter $191.27
Imperial Seal $160.17
Mana Drain $152.19
Rishadan Port $102.75

Riding the Dilu Horse $74.99
Flusterstorm $73.45
Dong Zhou, the Tyrant $64.99
Noble Hierarch $60.04
Horizon Canopy $58.79
Karn Liberated $57.39
Chalice of the Void $57.18
Crucible of Worlds $56.65
Doubling Season $54.95
Engineered Explosives $52.06
Mox Opal $50.37
Ancestral Vision $49.01

Ravages of War $48.05
Through the Breach $44.65
Leovold, Emissary of Trest $44.42
Goblin Settler $44.40
Dark Confidant $43.27
Zhang Fei, Fierce Warrior $42.28
Scapeshift $40.05
Grove of the Burnwillows $40.04
Three Visits $39.99
Food Chain $38.23
Yuan Shao, the Indecisive $37.99
Mishra's Bauble $37.36
Aether Vial $36.94
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn $36.49
Ensnaring Bridge $35.47
Arcbound Ravager $35.04
Temporal Manipulation $34.98
Sword of Fire and Ice $34.69
Meng Huo, Barbarian King $34.34
Sliver Legion $33.74
Kaalia of the Vast $33.66
Fulminator Mage $33.48
Pact of Negation $31.88
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed $31.84
Twilight Mire $31.14
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon $30.64

I bolded some that seem like they might be picks for this set.

I appreciate the list and breakdown. Have to imagine unless they go nuts and try to one-up MM3 on pure value that this set is going to fail. I'd probably feel pretty bad opening Zodiac Dragon or Temporal Manipulation in my $10 packs since the reprints will likely be worthless.

I wish Iconic Masters was more like a Conspiracy type with 36 pack boxes and $4 MSRP packs, even if it means a lower value set as a whole. They are really pushing the drafting aspect of Iconic Masters and the $10 price point is idiocy. It sorta makes sense for MMA and EMA since they are reprinting a ton of high dollar cards but IMA (or whatever the acronym is going to be) should be more accessible, IMO.

I always hated the $10 price. They should have just left it at $7 with a large enough print run to meet demand. Around here it's $35+ tax if you want to draft Masters sets with 1 pack per player as prizes. Basically what it costs to play a sealed PPTQ with good prize support.

Speaking of which, why hasn't Zodiac Dragon been re-templated to use "dies"?

It does say "put into your graveyard from the battlefield" instead of "the graveyard", but that shouldn't matter when it's on a creature and referring to the creature itself.

Speaking of which, why hasn't Zodiac Dragon been re-templated to use "dies"?

It does say "put into your graveyard from the battlefield" instead of "the graveyard", but that shouldn't matter when it's on a creature and referring to the creature itself.
If you own the creature and it dies while your opponent controls it, it still goes to your graveyard. It rarely comes up, but that's how the card is worded, so no dies update.

Bandini

Counterpoint: My LGS doesn't let me puff on the vape and drink IPAs, the lights are bright, and the seats aren't comfortable.

Ri'Orius

i only see cycling lands for five of the ten 2-color combinations

are they adding the other half next expansion?

They might, they might not. Generally a big expansion will contain a cycle of rare duals for either the ally or enemy colors, but not both. Then they get around to doing the enemy set at some point in the future, but not necessarily in the next set. For instance, Kaladesh featured the enemy fastlands, while the ally fastlands were way back in Scars of Mirrodin.

If Hour of Devastation has a focus on multicolor like some people are speculating, it'll likely have its own set of dual lands, but it's too early to tell IMO.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think seeing how pervasive Cycling was really brought me around on this set. Amonkhet might not feature too much in the way of raw power but I'm betting this set is going to feel real good

Ri'Orius

You have to do the other half now because cyclings a relatively rare mechanic.

You don't need to complete the 10-card cycle promptly, or even at all. They've been happy to leave them half-full indefinitely. And wasting 5 slots in a small set for a set of enemy duals? If Hour isn't multicolor focus they won't bother. Especially since Kaladesh already featured a set of enemy dual lands.

TheGrue

Won the final FNM Aether Revolt draft at my local store. Feeling pumped and will carry me through the midnight pre-release.

You don't need to complete the 10-card cycle promptly, or even at all. They've been happy to leave them half-full indefinitely. And wasting 5 slots in a small set for a set of enemy duals? If Hour isn't multicolor focus they won't bother. Especially since Kaladesh already featured a set of enemy dual lands.
Hour is likely going to have 5 Shard Mythics and is centered around Bolas.

That's basically all the proof you need of it being multicolored right there.

Tunoku

On my way home from the prerelease. Went 4-1 and had a blast. Pulled an As Foretold for value.

Basically, my deck was:

1 Glorybringer
1 Glyph Keeper
1 Pull from Tomorrow
20 playables
17 lands

Hot take: Glorybringer and Glyph Keeper are good Magic cards.

My rounds went:

2-0
2-0
2-0
0-2
2-0

My one loss was against Cruel Reality. What a digusting Magic card.

Won 9 packs but didn't take 'em so I could draft next week. Amonkhet seems like a really cool set for Limited. I have never played with Cycling before and it's absolutely fantastic.

PS: The dude who went 5-0 pulled a Worship.

Santiako

I think seeing how pervasive Cycling was really brought me around on this set. Amonkhet might not feature too much in the way of raw power but I'm betting this set is going to feel real good

It really feels like the Kamigawa to Kaldesh's Mirrodin. CHK was awesome for limited and oozed flavour.

LSV's Limited Set Review is complete. Linking the last one, but links to the previous ones are there too.

He gave Glorious End a 0.0, but if I get it, I'm running it anyway.
Looking through that whole review, UW seems really, really good. All the Embalming cards are great and the Uncommon is stupid strong as the capstone in the deck.

Also, the sheer number of playable "Dual color" cards seems insane for limited purposes.

I think this set is legitimately great guys (in limited at least).

Crocodile

Do you have examples of half-cycles that used set mechanics that weren't completed in the same block? Fast Lands,Fetch Lands and Check Lands don't use set mechanics so they could theoretically be printed in any set. Lands with cycling on them can only be printed in sets where cycling is a major mechanic. If they don't finish the cycle next set, it could be a while before we see cycling again.

Ashodin

Guys is this good

xRxfJPGl.jpg

noquarter

Only played two of the three rounds at the prerelease, been up since 530 this morning and just don't think I could stay another hour.

Opened Rhonas and the Green Vizier but no fixing and no removal. Ended up playing Guw tokens, had the flying vigilance tokens get the same guy and the white temple. First game went the whole round as we board stalled and I just wasn't drawing anything til the end. Had me at two life and he had 36. I was able to come back and win with the Sandwurm enchantment.

Second match lost due to the Ifnir Demon and two glyph keepers with the unblockable instant.

Set is pretty fun, but white blue tokens seems reaply good. Embalming a dude and having him come back with flying and vigilance is kind of back breaking.
Guys is this good

xRxfJPGl.jpg
Eh, loses to Cancel.

So, do they look better in person?

kirblar

I get what they were going for (the 3D effect is much more obvious on the physical cards) but the unreadable text is still awful and ruins all the decent ideas elsewhere.

So, I went to my first midnight Prerelease last night. It was fun, but kinda overwhelming. I pulled some awesome cards, including a Gideon and a Consecrated Sphinx Invocation, so it was kinda difficult to build a single deck because of all the options.

I ended up with a WG deck focused on the Embalming Mechanic and generating 1/1 Soldiers from Oketra's Monument. Went 2 wins, 2 losses.

It was really fun overall, I might go again today or tomorrow.

Also, are the Invocations and some of the Mythics, especially Gideon, easier to pull now? There were twenty of us and four of us pulled Invocations, four Gideons, and 3 of the Gods. That seems a bit more common than during Kaladesh and Aether Revolt?

Also, even though I hate their design, the Invocations are kinda nice in person. Still gonna dump it the first chance I get.

Ashodin

4-0 wins, opened Liliana, Death's Majesty.

I had this sick B/G deck with splash of white for Wrath of God because it's Wrath of God.

y2dvd

3-0 my midnight prerelease. No crazy value. Open red god, foil Samut, and a stamped Canyon Slough so I came close to breaking even. Saving prize packs for in-house drafting.
I went RG aggro, then went fully Naya in the finals.

Deem Worthy 2 for 1 when cycling is sweet.
Cycling in general is sweet. Never truly having a dead card causes the games go a lot smoother.

Was gonna write a few more notes but dead tired zZz.

I was fortunate enough to 5-0 a midnight prerelease with this pile:

6PUy9ITgW67pQp6Aw3cfdtE5SHGJf.jpg

Glorybringer is absurdly dumb.

Got a booster box as a prize. I am so tired though, ugh.

Violet_0

Banned
I was fortunate enough to 5-0 a midnight prerelease with this pile:

6PUy9ITgW67pQp6Aw3cfdtE5SHGJf.jpg

Glorybringer is absurdly dumb.

Got a booster box as a prize. I am so tired though, ugh.

yeah, how did you ever manage to win with those cards? :p

I just became aware again of the fact that constructed actually bores me as a player (not viewer). Oops

ironmang

Quick picture of my deck. Rares were pretty garbage with Mouth // Feed being the only one I thought was decent. Two copies of Evolving Wilds were the real MVPs since that black splash was much needed. Almost every time I cast Unwavering Initiate all night it immediately got Magma Sprayed. Surprised to have gone 4-1-1 which got me 3rd out of 37 with this most mediocre of piles. Won 20 packs.

edit: alright my picture is either changsquint.jpg or huge if unquoted so sorry lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom