• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

I mean if y'all know the decklists or what not can y'all just share. Don't say "these people on twitter", actually link the tweets and twitter accounts!

DG4XgjlXoAAOTDc.png

Crocodile

If Marchesa is the last foil Grixis commander I consider that a good thing as that's one less new card that is being wasted on a hard to use 3 color card and can be used for a monocolored card with wide applications. Scion of the Ur-Dragon puzzles me as we've only seen two 5 color dragon legends (also the Cat Dragon is a regular rare, not mythic) but per Starcity, Scion is still a rare not mythic:

ScionOfTheUrDragon.jpg

So I'm a bit confused. EDIT: Oh right, Ramos. Yeah that is 5 color by EDH color identity rules, I forgot :p

As an aside, here's a new card (that is only useable in multplayer):

1rqc8Sc.png

"Gate Mage" 2U
Creature – Human Wizard

Flash
When "Gate Mage" enters the battlefield during the declare attackers step, you may reselect the player or planeswalker that the target attacking creature attacks.

This is a translation just in case this wasn't clear. Real English text might vary slightly.

Santiako

If Marchesa is the last foil Grixis commander I consider that a good thing as that's one less new card that is being wasted on a hard to use 3 color card and can be used for a monocolored card with wide applications. Scion of the Ur-Dragon puzzles me as we've only seen 2 5 color dragon legends but per Starcity, Scion is still a rare not mythic

We've seen the 3 5c dragons (Ur-Dragon, O-Kagachi and Ramos). Scion is just a reprint.
There will be a third new Grixis Wizard, Marchesa is not foil.

OnPoint

So with Mairsil, you could use

Arcanis%2Bthe%2BOmnipotent%2B%255BEMA%255D.jpg

To bounce and recast, allowing for infinite shenanigans, right?

I mean with a Haste enabler too

Santiako

It was mentioned in yesterday's story podcast that Taigam (Sultai version) has a UB card, so that's probably it.

No, there has to be a third UBR one. Taigam will be a plus like the other one or the mono white equipment cat or the jund cat dragon. We're most likely also missing at least one new non-mardu commander from the mardu deck.

Justin

DG4lDN-UAAE4KMc.png:large

All spells this turn not just the ones you cast? Seems pretty good, especially if you copy it with Inalla then sac the copy.

Santiako

This I understand. I guess I'm theory crafting how many pieces you need to make him go infinite by himself. Probably too many

If you already have infinite mana, access to Arcanis and a way to give him haste you have already won :p

All spells this turn not just the ones you cast? Seems pretty good, especially if you copy it with Inalla then sac the copy.

Duuuuuuuuuuude that's Mind's Desire made creature! I freaking love the Magus Megacycle.

Crocodile

See:

Image.ashx

It looks at all spells in order to mimic the Storm ability.

As an aside, we've seen Magus of the Wheel and Magus of the Will over past commander sets. Crazy sorceries turned into Human Wizards. Will we see versions for a noteworthy Green or White spell? Armageddon? Natural Order?

Santiako

I would like to do more than just draw cards, plus Arcanis is only one color.

How do you suggest winning with just Arcanis?

Mairsil with haste enabler with Arcanis exiled with infinte mana is literally the same as Arcanis in the same condition. You'll just draw your whole deck and use your wincon of choice (Blue Sun Zenith, Labman, etc).

OnPoint

Mairsil with haste enabler with Arcanis exiled with infinte mana is literally the same as Arcanis in the same condition. You'll just draw your whole deck and use your wincon of choice (Blue Sun Zenith, Labman, etc).

Mairsil will be the one making the infinite mana.

I am not trying to just make infinite mana generically. I can already do that.

I want Marisil to be the infinite mana engine all by himself using his Cage Voltron ability.

Santiako

Mairsil will be the one making the infinite mana.

I am not trying to just make infinite mana generically. I can already do that.

I want Marisil to be the infinite mana engine all by himself using his Cage Voltron ability.

Well yeah, that's way more fun :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't like this because you do it all at once instead of one at a time.

Why would it matter? You also get to order the spells and timing in a way Mind's Desire doesn't actually let you do. The effect itself is basically stronger than Mind's Desire (particularly given you don't have to just spend 6 mana straight up on the turn you're trying to storm out) depending on how your deck is built, it's just that they'll kill your dude.

Why would it matter? You also get to order the spells and timing in a way Mind's Desire doesn't actually let you do. The effect itself is basically stronger than Mind's Desire (particularly given you don't have to just spend 6 mana straight up on the turn you're trying to storm out) depending on how your deck is built, it's just that they'll kill your dude.

stifle, trickbind, voidslime, disallow, voidmage husher, nimble obsturctionist,...

OnPoint

Okay this is amazing with mairsil

checked gatherer text and it's a copy of an exiled card.

I wonder what would happend when you tried to create a token of a card that's not a permanent
Are you trying to copy the cards you exile with Mairsil? I don't think that works...

Edit:

Are you trying to put Mimic Vat ON Mairsil?

God I was thinking so small... that's amazing if it works

Are you trying to copy the cards you exile with Mairsil? I don't think that works...

Edit:

Are you trying to put Mimic Vat ON Mairsil?

God I was thinking so small... that's amazing if it works

exactly, it should work as any self referential stuff refers to "this card" not cards named this and the oracle text of mimic vat reads
3, Tap: Create a token that's a copy of a card exiled with Mimic Vat. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

Just like how this should work

bigkrev

See:

Image.ashx

It looks at all spells in order to mimic the Storm ability.

As an aside, we've seen Magus of the Wheel and Magus of the Will over past commander sets. Crazy sorceries turned into Human Wizards. Will we see versions for a noteworthy Green or White spell? Armageddon? Natural Order?

Minds Desire might be the #1 card on the list of "No one ever plays this by the rules". Every single person will just shuffle and flip X cards, instead of "Shuffle, flip 1, Shuffle, flip 1, Shuffle, flip 1...." that you are technically supposed to do, lol

Justin

Since I assume most of the coolest cards have been revealed already how is everyone ranking the decks? Mine is

- Wizards
- Vampires
- Cats
-
-
-
-
-
- Dragons

reading up on it the self referential exile stuff might not work after all with mairsil

this part in particular makes it sound like it
607.2a If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to ”the exiled cards" or to cards ”exiled with [this object]," these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.

Wichu

reading up on it the self referential exile stuff might not work after all with mairsil

this part in particular makes it sound like it

Yeah, that's correct. Imprint-like abilities specifically only work with cards imprinted properly. For example, you can't use Mizzium Transreliquat to mix and match imprint abilities.

ultron87

What are you trying to accomplish with the Mairsil/Mimic Vat thing? Giving Mairsil the Mimic Vat ability? That wouldn't do anything because he wouldn't have the trigger to imprint stuff. So there wouldn't be anything for his copy of the activated ability to find.

Crocodile

636379673948745969.png

I think this is the last card! From mtgcommander.net

Overall, I think I'm a bit disappointed in the assortment of new cards? Some good ones but too many are worthless for my needs. Really looking to see what reprints there are in each deck. That will be important.

Since I assume most of the coolest cards have been revealed already how is everyone ranking the decks? Mine is

- Wizards
- Vampires
- Cats
-
-
-
-
-
- Dragons

I mean it also depends on what kind of reprints are in the decks but at a first glance......this seems accurate

Yeah, that's correct. Imprint-like abilities specifically only work with cards imprinted properly. For example, you can't use Mizzium Transreliquat to mix and match imprint abilities.
Correct, it will not work as imprint and the cloning are linked abilities. Only cards exiled with the imprint ability can be cloned with the activated one.
I feel like that could use some improvement in templating or visualization.

Take Izzet Chemister for instance he's in the same precon as Mairsil and they both exile cards you'd think you can cast all the cards Mairsil exiled if you take the chemister's ability on first glance.

Santiako

Weird that unless I'm misremembering the Mardu deck is the only one without any extra new commander. Overall the cards are kinda disappointing I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom