• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird how that destroys the creature instead of exiling it.

I like Izzet Chemister, but it's super brittle if people pay any attention to it.

Firemind

DG4x8eNWsAA62rK.png:large
Izzet chemister, not U/R ¯_(ツ)_/ ¯

Overall a bust. Don't see why I should use any of these commanders. Grixis already has more flavourful, cool and sweet commanders.

Since I assume most of the coolest cards have been revealed already how is everyone ranking the decks? Mine is

- Wizards
- Vampires
- Cats
-
-
-
-
-
- Dragons

Depends on if you mean the individual cards or the decks as-printed.

I'd say Wizards has the most interesting individual cards, but it's also the deck I'm least likely to play off-the-shelf or with minor modifications. I'd rather take the choice cards and build entirely different decks around them (see the entire last three pages of brewing for examples).

Vampires and Dragons look like the decks I'm most likely to play as-is or lightly modified, but also the ones with the contents of least interest for building other decks.

Cats I'm just generally ambivalent toward.

Joe Molotov

It signifies that you can use the ability at any time during your turn, but only once that turn.

If it said "during your turn", it might be unclear how many times you can use it.

But it's still more ambiguous than a "You may do this only once per turn." Even with it worded the way it is, I could see people reading that, and thinking that they can use it as many times as they want to.

red13th

Remember last year when they made a big deal about reprinting rare dual lands in CMD and all they did was put like two or three painlands or Odyssey filters? That was shitty.

Ashodin

So since we're done with the reveal of the new cards, can I post a fake one that I think should have gotten printed, and would have been really cool?

But it's still more ambiguous than a "You may do this only once per turn." Even with it worded the way it is, I could see people reading that, and thinking that they can use it as many times as they want to.

If it said "only once per turn" you could do it during each opponent's turn, which is one of the primary ways cards get broken wide open in multiplayer EDH.

They probably started with that wording, tested it once in a 4-player EDH game that got to maybe Turn 6, and then agreed never to speak of it again.

Pundere

Don't know if it was mentioned, but it's really cool that Mathas works really well with the only other card that uses bounty counters.

Image.ashx

Ondor

Banned
If I was thinking about getting into Magic, should I wait for the new expansion or jump in sooner? Was thinking about maybe picking up one of the new planeswalker decks to get started.

If I was thinking about getting into Magic, should I wait for the new expansion or jump in sooner? Was thinking about maybe picking up one of the new planeswalker decks to get started.
If you don't know the rules well, I recommend downloading Magic Duels, though note it is no longer being supported with updates.

For the paper game, the Planeswalker decks are a great place to start. You can use them as a base you can modify as you get more cards.

Ashodin

because menace + rampage is more a dragon thing. Hey we got phasing back, why not rampage. It's gross with menace + trample

Violet_0

Banned

planeswalker decks are a cheap, easy way to get into the game, but they are low-powered and you only stand a chance against other similar decks. They're for casual play, if you know other people to play with that's great. You can later upgrade the decks with new cards, but no matter how much you modify your base planeswalker deck, you'll never stand a real chance against competitive decks in any format

limited formats (booster drafting and sealed) are another way to get into Magic without owning any cards. You build a deck from the cards in the booster packs and compete against other players for prizes, and at the end you keep all the cards for your collection. Plenty of people here (including me) only play at limited events. The next set (Ixalan) comes out at the end of September and is shaping up quite nicely based on what we know from leaks. When a new sets releases, game stores will run sealed events that a typically very popular with new players, so that might be something that could interest you. You could also participate in Friday Night Magic booster drafts right now, but booster drafting is more demanding and you should have some basic knowledge of how it works, and how to play Magic in general

Justin

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago right before Amonkhet came out. I will second that downloading the Duels game to go through the tutorials is really good and its free. It also has 60 or so single player missions to play through that are also free.

After you have the basic rules down I would recommend finding a store near you that drafts or does sealed events. It can seem intimidating at first but drafts are the best way to both learn the game an build up your collection. You are also playing from a smaller set of cards so after a few drafts you will start to understand how the rules work and the cards interact.

When the Ixalan pre-release weekend comes up make sure to go to at least one of the events. They are really fun and everyone starts at the same level since it is the first time anyone gets to play with the cards. The Amonkhet pre-release was actually the first time I ever played and I had a blast.

Also they have been holding Open House events usually the week before pre-release where the stores have free welcome decks for new players they hand out and also teach you how to play the game.

Lastly feel free to ask any questions in this thread as people in here are very helpful.

Marisil is a DEEP pull. I think he's mentioned on like 4 cards total?

It's always funny to me how disconnected the old sets are from the storylines associated with them. If you look at the cards Mairsil has a tiny little part in the Dark only; in the novels he's this huge, extremely important character.

Duuuuuuuuuuude that's Mind's Desire made creature! I freaking love the Magus Megacycle.

Really glad to see they're specifically continuing this. Trying to think of what would be good white and green choices.

Really glad to see they're specifically continuing this. Trying to think of what would be good white and green choices.

Biorhythm for green. "Magus of the Pulse"

Not sure there's a good choice for white unless you want to go the boardwipe route, and that doesn't seem like a fun place to take it. I guess there's Shahrazad? All the iconic white sorceries/instants tend to just destroy a bunch of stuff.

Storm Herd maybe? Magus of the Herd? Meh.

Tunoku

I'm gonna spend a few days with my cousin soon and I'm wondering what would be a good way to introduce him to the game. Should I bring a couple of decks I own or cop those welcome decks?

I'm gonna spend a few days with my cousin soon and I'm wondering what would be a good way to introduce him to the game. Should I bring a couple of decks I own or cop those welcome decks?
You should use simple and straightforward decks, probably even with a few vanilla creatures. At the same time, there should be interesting things in it. Note that to a beginner, Shivan Dragon counts as interesting.

Tunoku

You should use simple and straightforward decks, probably even with a few vanilla creatures. At the same time, there should be interesting things in it. Note that to a beginner, Shivan Dragon counts as interesting.

Yeah, Shivan Dragon is actually still in the welcome decks and Standard legal.

bigkrev

It's always funny to me how disconnected the old sets are from the storylines associated with them. If you look at the cards Mairsil has a tiny little part in the Dark only; in the novels he's this huge, extremely important character.

I mean the Dark book was written years after the Dark released. I should dig into my Duelist collection to see if there is anything!

Cyclone Magus (2GG)
Creature - Human Shaman
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a Wind counter on Cyclone of the Magus. Cyclone Magus deals X damage to each creature and player where X is the number of Wind counters on Cyclone Magus.

{G}: Cyclone Magus gets +0/+1 until end of turn.

0/1

34.jpg

Probably too messy :p

Magus of the Sunrise

This isn't bad.

Some white options:

Magus of the Armageddon
Magus of the Balance
Magus of the Cataclysm
Magus of the Burial (all creatures to bottom of libraries)
Magus of the Chant (W, T, sac: target player can't play spells this turn. WW, T, Sac: Target player can't play spells this turn and creatures can't attack this turn.)
Magus of the Ancestors
Magus of the Dust (nuke up to two artifacts)

GSZ for green and Moat for white?

Magus of the Moat was already done when they did enchantments in Future Sight. The current megacycle is sorceries (so Magus of the Sunrise doesn't actually work).

For green... Magus of the Channel would be just as banned as the original, wouldn't it.

Now I want to see a cycle in Unstable for the worst cards from old Magic:
- Magus of the Farmstead
- Magus of the Lace
- Magus of the Sorrow
- Magus of the Mudhole
- Magus of the Wood

Violet_0

Banned

lantern control
if you set your mind to do something, do it properly

Magus of the Moat was already done when they did enchantments in Future Sight. The current megacycle is sorceries (so Magus of the Sunrise doesn't actually work).

Historically they'll cycle instants and sorceries together in some contexts so at least in predicting what else they do I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Now I want to see a cycle in Unstable for the worst cards from old Magic:

uAHdVU0.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/KACML

Magus of the (Natural) Order seems obvious for green. White has a lot of options though.

Yeah, I thought about other options but this one is so perfect and obvious I have trouble seeing them picking something else.

Repgnar

Tied for first in tonight's standard event with a W/U approach control deck. First time playing a control deck and felt really fun for me but by God do people let it be known how salty they feel. Only fueled my desire to see their reaction when I countered their next thing. To make the night even better the first prize pack I opened had Nicol Bolas. Up to two now and I don't see decks running more than that.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is any place going to put up the single Commander decks for pre-order? I've only seen the bundles. Or are they waiting for the full spoiler to gouge? I just want the Wizards and maybe the Dragons.

y2dvd

It signifies that you can use the ability at any time during your turn, but only once that turn.

If it said "during your turn", it might be unclear how many times you can use it.

I'm still unclear from the current wording is my problem, even though I follow your explanation lol.

If it said "only once per turn" you could do it during each opponent's turn, which is one of the primary ways cards get broken wide open in multiplayer EDH.

They probably started with that wording, tested it once in a 4-player EDH game that got to maybe Turn 6, and then agreed never to speak of it again.

Yeah I don't get why it didn't just say "only once per your turn" but whatever!

traveler

Not Wario
Alright, stuff they could use from the wiki:

The Numena- a group of mages representing every color. The blue, black, and red(!) ones explicitly killed the green and white ones, leaving only 3. (Who would ultimately all be killed by Karona later)
Mairsil- Power hungry wizard and artificer who puts his soul into a ring and uses it to possess people. Not a ton of red in the description, but I think they could swing it.
Nailah- Teysir's lover/opponent. Teysir himself merged in such a way that a Grixis version wouldn't be possible lore wise, and the full 5 color Teysir is too powerful for a card. Nailah, however, demonstrates several Grixis qualities.
Jodah- You could probably make a case for a Grixis Jodah somewhere in the timeline(s), but it wouldn't be a definitive presentation, though. I think of Jodah as traditionally more heroic than Grixis, but he does go mad for a few periods.

Only got one. Mairsil seemed the most likely of them anyhow.

Do we have any idea who Inalla is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom