• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LSV made a video about banning shadow because apparently we want a meta game where everything is big mana or fast combo/aggro. The other midrange decks failed because they can't effectively police these two disparate parts of the meta.

Pretending to be something else doesn't change your color. cf. Duplicant.

Pretty certain clone effects do change the colour of the thing changing so...

EDIT: Not to mention, characters are clearly not locked into a particular colour so Urza being printed as a blue card doesn't prevent him being printed as a 4
or even 5
colour card.
It's his actions and motivations that lock him from being green.

But clones aren't pretending, they're actual copies. Urza as the Blind Seer isn't a copy of some blind seer he saw, he's just Urza wearing a funny hat.

He's also a creature rather than a Planeswalker. Seems he's a bit more going on there than "Urza wearing a funny hat."

Ashodin

Lzg7r7al.jpg

two down, one more to go (sigh).

I don't really want to have to purchase the last one.

Supast4r

LSV made a video about banning shadow because apparently we want a meta game where everything is big mana or fast combo/aggro. The other midrange decks failed because they can't effectively police these two disparate parts of the meta.
If shadow gets banned then we would have to ban eldrazi temple, mix opal and baral from storm to have a somewhat balanced metagame. No one wants this. Unbans are needed if anything.

red13th

Death's Shadow is obviously the best deck but I think there will always be a best deck, I think they can wait on the banhammer. This is actually unlike standard where "more data" is necessary IMO.

If we're banning anything out of Death's Shadow it should be Street Wraith first. The only reason we're not all calling for its head yet is because hate bears proved to be its poison. That might be enough to keep it in check and it might not be. Otherwise, having a deck that is far and away the best deck in the format will only eat the format inside out over time.

traveler

Not Wario
I actually think the pros may be tilting towards the overrated side on DS lately. The deck is clearly the best deck in modern and it does things with an efficiency no deck in modern has done before, but it's far from a problem in my eyes. The deck doesn't have lopsided winrates against any other t1/t2 deck (I'd go so far as to say it doesn't even hit 65% against any t1/t2 deck) and there are several t1/t2 decks that are significantly favored against it and decent choices for the rest of the meta as well. (If I were to enter another modern tourney tomorrow, I'd run Jeskai Control again as I still feel it's the best positioned deck in the current meta)

A ban against DS would be a huge mistake. I could see targeting street wraith and bauble- as a stretch- more for philosophy reasons than DS' power level, but I'd be hesitant to mess with modern right now anyways as it's in a great place. If I were to start banning/unbanning for non power level reasons, I'd probably hit SSG first/as well as street wraith anyways, and I wouldn't put any of the SSG decks in tier 1 right now.

Zocano

What's your guys' takes on conceding or forcing a draw in FNM? Buddy had the kill 100% but time went up (including the extra turns) and his opponent refused to concede so they both went 3-0-1.

Right now Modern is amazing. Banning anything would just wreck the meta.

A ban seems like a stupid thing to even consider seeing as how the modern field is so diverse when Death's Shadow only taking up at most like 20% at times. That's hardly anything to really worry over. People will most likely find ways to deal with it (and as mentioned, hatebears seems to be the way).

traveler

Not Wario
I concede if it's clear who won and not a competitive REL event. Never had to make that decision at a PTQ or GP, though, so I can't say I'd do the same when the stakes are higher. I certainly wouldn't fault someone for taking a draw. Sadly, this is just an area where the paper game is inferior to MTGO.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Whether I concede depends on what they are playing. If they are on Ivan Floch draw-go I'm not conceding because they brought it on.

Zocano

I have conceded before when it was clear I lost but we went to time. I am specifically referring to pretty casual sealed FNM. Just seems like a super asshole thing to do to refuse conceding when it is clear they had lost and would lose the following turn.

Ri'Orius

What's your guys' takes on conceding or forcing a draw in FNM? Buddy had the kill 100% but time went up (including the extra turns) and his opponent refused to concede so they both went 3-0-1.

I'll concede if it bumps him from "no prize" with a draw to "some prize" with a win (so generally third round if we're both 1-1). Even if I think I should've won, if time's up and we're both looking at getting nothing I'll throw him the W.

Supast4r

Right now Modern is amazing. Banning anything would just wreck the meta.
I wouldn't go as far as to call modern amazing. The format is okay. It's no where near what it was prior to twin's banning. Twin meta was really fun because more decks were represented despite their being a best deck. I enjoyed cruise meta more than this one tbh.

Supast4r

A ban seems like a stupid thing to even consider seeing as how the modern field is so diverse when Death's Shadow only taking up at most like 20% at times. That's hardly anything to really worry over. People will most likely find ways to deal with it (and as mentioned, hatebears seems to be the way).
I hardly call modern diverse when it's mainly just aggro and combo with shadow thrown in as the midrange deck. The diversity is okay but it's not amazing by any stretch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hardly call modern diverse when it's mainly just aggro and combo with shadow thrown in as the midrange deck. The diversity is okay but it's not amazing by any stretch.
I think that's the idea for Modern.

Supast4r

I think that's the idea for Modern.
I'm confused by what you mean by this. Having one police deck is pretty bad for a formats health. I honestly wish they would unban twin so the meta could be healthier. Since shadow is the best deck twin wouldn't even dominate since shadow runs so much discard.

In FNM? Harshly negative, though not the level of sheer contempt I feel for intentional draws.

If you're doing this as your job I understand using every tool available within the rules of the game to try and protect your livelihood. If you're doing it for fun, then you really should be able to step back and see that what you're doing--again, mainly in the case of intentional draws, where you're opting not to play the game, the entire thing you showed up to do--is inappropriate.

Angry Grimace

I'm confused by what you mean by this. Having one police deck is pretty bad for a formats health. I honestly wish they would unban twin so the meta could be healthier. Since shadow is the best deck twin wouldn't even dominate since shadow runs so much discard.
I think the idea is that they don't want Modern to be a combo paradise.

Modern right now is one of the best eternal formats that they've ever had. DS isn't getting banned and nothing is getting unbanned.

The most reasonable unban on the current ban list list is legitimately Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Modern right now is one of the best eternal formats that they've ever had. DS isn't getting banned and nothing is getting unbanned.

The most reasonable unban on the current ban list list is legitimately Jace, the Mind Sculptor.
Nah I'd say bbe because jund midrange is pretty much dead. Even jund shadow is nearly gone and I don't even know how good it is a shadow deck with the limited land count and weird cascade hits.

Angry Grimace

Nah I'd say bbe because jund midrange is pretty much dead. Even jund shadow is nearly gone and I don't even know how good it is a shadow deck with the limited land count and weird cascade hits.
I just feel like JTMS is at least justifiable but not actually necessary given the meta being so good.

The Eternalize tokens look pretty dorky for the most part, but the pre-Eternalize art on the cards is generally pretty good, so I don't mind that much. I mean, it's pretty even odds I'm just going to flip some random unsleeved land and drop a die on it to use as a token, anyway.

If we're banning anything out of Death's Shadow it should be Street Wraith first. The only reason we're not all calling for its head yet is because hate bears proved to be its poison. That might be enough to keep it in check and it might not be. Otherwise, having a deck that is far and away the best deck in the format will only eat the format inside out over time.
Can confirm, Hatebears wins because we can destroy their lands in a way with a clock/The Post Bolt Meta has been a godsend for cards like Thalia Heretic Cathar/Mirran Crusader.

I mean, I'd still like a bit more love of Blue White(the brewer in me loves stuff like "Ojutai's Command returning Gavony Rider" and fixing (SSG is a strictly better Chrome Mox 90% of the time, so I don't see why the later is banned while the former is free)

noquarter

If we were the only 3-0s, would probably draw as well, we would just end up splitting anyway.

If not, I would do everything I could the last turn, including attack with everything and right before the end step concede. Doesn't really matter too much to me though.

I do know some people that won't ever concede and will push for the draw just for the planeswalker points. Especially this early in the season, since they want to try to make sure they can get a bye or two. Can't really fault them, starting a GP 2-0 is better than starting 0-0, especially since you have less of a chance of going up against some rogue deck.
I was thinking about that as well. BBE could possibly see an unbam, especially since they changed the rules on split cards so BBE can't abuse them like it used to. The only thing that might be kind of strange is Ancestrall Visions is unbanned now, that would be am alright target possibly, though don't think it would be good in the deck.

DS definitely has to be knocked down a peg. It's not enough to have 1 deck that preys upon it but is only viable due to a messed up meta where bolt isn't heavily played.

Also never ever unban Twin.

because push and path kill master of waves.

Serious though bolt is one of the best cards ever printed but it's not good enough for the best deck in the format that already plays red. That's just crazy.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Sell Mishra's Bauble now when it is $40 before people ask themselves "why am I paying $40 for a mishra's bauble"?

ElyrionX

JTMS unbanning would bring me back to the game.

Tunoku

Part of the community is afraid that if JTMS gets unbanned, the format would shift towards JTMS decks and unfair decks, because Jace just beats every fair deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom