• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

I think the idea is that they don't want Modern to be a combo paradise.

Modern right now is one of the best eternal formats that they've ever had. DS isn't getting banned and nothing is getting unbanned.

The most reasonable unban on the current ban list list is legitimately Jace, the Mind Sculptor.
The most reasonable unban is legitimately bloodbraid elf. Only Jund and zoo can play it, in Jund it hits a discard spell/creature/removal most of the time which makes it a worse thought-knot seer/sorcery speed collected company/nekretall. It will rarely hit a Liliana/ancestral vision. Shadow decks wouldn't run it over Ranger of Eos since Ranger gets two shadows. Zoo and traditional Jund could use the help and maybe a Rug deck gets made.

ElyrionX

The unbanning of a $100 POS would bring you back?

I bought a playset shortly after the recent reprint in anticipation of this lol.

Edit: For context, I've always been a control player and the opportunity to play one of the most powerful blue cards ever printed has me salivating.

Twin had comparable dominance to Grixis Shadow. Literally the same numbers. It just existed for a longer period of time.

The thing that bugs me is that MTGTop8 doesn't seperate out Bant Eldrazi and Tron Eldrazi. They're legitimately different decks. It makes the meta numbers very misleading. If you take out Bant Eldrazi from their 'Eldrazi Aggro' category Death's Shadow becomes more than double the next nearest meta share. That is the actual issue, even when twin dominated there were other decks that were approaching its meta share.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They are both decks designed to accelerate out undercosted eldrazi. Sort of like the difference between grxis and jund shadow.

They are both decks designed to accelerate out undercosted eldrazi. Sort of like the difference between grxis and jund shadow.

Eldrazi Tron doesn't actually accelerate though. It's the speed of Tron. Bant does accelerate. Bant is fast eldrazi and Tron is slow eldrazi. There not being a seperation between grixis and jund DS is because it was originally a 4 color deck and subsequent variations don't really have a substantially different gameplan. Original Tron on MtgTop8 used to have Blue Tron seperated out, but now they're lumped together.

At least there's mtggoldfish.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Tried playing Sun and Moon at Modern tonight. Got destroyed by Grixis Shadow, won a close one against the same, and lost to Abzan because I kept a onelander with a SSG and never drew another. It was fun to dodge all the removal in Modern because I only had planeswalkers but if you stumble, no amount of scrylands and Cast Out cycles can get you back. I think I'll play UW next time and keep the Gideon package (the Chandras were underwhelming, Nahiri won me games but I would rather play Jace in the Lingering Souls meta at my store.)

Twin had comparable dominance to Grixis Shadow. Literally the same numbers. It just existed for a longer period of time.

The issues with Twin go far beyond its exact metagame numbers. In fact I remember a number of conversations about how if it was purely win rates and prevalence Twin would have survived.

El Topo

Yup. It was not just about the metagame share, but about the versatility of Twin and how it could win out of nowhere, with little interactivity in those cases.

traveler

Not Wario
Move to Seattle. Mox has a bar, restaurant, AC, and plenty of room(s).

slider-speakeasy.jpg

That's a private bar. The main bar is even bigger and in addition to playing there and in the restaurant, there are also multiple dedicated play rooms.

Santiako

That's a private bar. The main bar is even bigger and in addition to playing there and in the restaurant, there are also multiple dedicated play rooms.

Damn. Mad jealous. I don't even have a LGS, I haven't been able to play since the Amonkhet prerelease :(

Yeef

The most reasonable unban is legitimately bloodbraid elf. Only Jund and zoo can play it, in Jund it hits a discard spell/creature/removal most of the time which makes it a worse thought-knot seer/sorcery speed collected company/nekretall. It will rarely hit a Liliana/ancestral vision. Shadow decks wouldn't run it over Ranger of Eos since Ranger gets two shadows. Zoo and traditional Jund could use the help and maybe a Rug deck gets made.
Bloodbraid into Kolaghan's Command is probably too good.

I was thinking, Unstable is an unusual enough release that we should showcase it somehow. I don't think creating a separate OT for it is a good idea, but it could be good to make an OT thread after the full set is revealed, called "Magic: the Gathering releases a new comedy set: Unstable" or something. This would be more of an announcement thread than a discussion thread, probably just getting up to 100 posts at most.

Santiako

I was thinking, Unstable is an unusual enough release that we should showcase it somehow. I don't think creating a separate OT for it is a good idea, but it could be good to make an OT thread after the full set is revealed, called "Magic: the Gathering releases a new comedy set: Unstable" or something. This would be more of an announcement thread than a discussion thread, probably just getting up to 100 posts at most.

Magic the gathering releases new fancy basic lands, comedy set attached to them.

slider-speakeasy.jpg

You go play in a suit or something?

Even then AC doesn't replace a patio, only makes indoors more bearable.

Ozigizo

slider-speakeasy.jpg

Nah. When Mox opened, they started running tournaments at a loss (still are) specifically to drive other local game stores out. They basically threw their money around.

I'm friends with a local owner, and they did everything they could to drive out businesses on the Eastside.

I would kind of prefer that no one outside of the community knows about this. The Un-sets are a secret shame that hardcore players must bear and new players generally can't "appreciate*" anyway.

I get the jokes and I still don't appreciate them.

red13th

No, it should just be ignored and soon forgotten.

Yeef

It's funny. The un-sets seem to be super-polarizing. People either love them or hate them and think they shouldn't exist. I don't get it.

Joe Molotov

It's funny. The un-sets seem to be super-polarizing. People either love them or hate them and think they shouldn't exist. I don't get it.

Some people think they're funny and some people would rather just have cards you can actually play with.

Yeef

Some people think they're funny and some people would rather just have cards you can actually play with.
But the same is true with cards from Conspiracy like Regicide and other draft-matters card and I don't see nearly as many people upset about that sort of thing.

Joe Molotov

But the same is true with cards from Conspiracy like Regicide and other draft-matters card and I don't see nearly as many people upset about that sort of thing.

Yeah, but at least some of the cards in Conspiracy are Modern reprints or Legacy/EDH playable. With Un, you get some nice lands and some cards to look at.

Unsets remind me a lot of the party card games that have gotten more popular in recent years, so I think there would be interest from beginners and people unfamiliar with Magic.

Yeef

I get that, but there are plenty of products that plenty of people have no interest in, like Archenemy or Planechase. They're usually met with apathy, not vitriol. I don't see any more reason to get more upset over an un-set than I do random duel-deck with no good reprints.

Unsets remind me a lot of the party card games that have gotten more popular in recent years, so I think there would be interest from beginners and people unfamiliar with Magic.
Drunk magic sucks cards against humanity is only fun when drunk.

Major difference.
I get that, but there are plenty of products that plenty of people have no interest in, like Archenemy or Planechase. They're usually met with apathy, not vitriol. I don't see any more reason to get more upset over an un-set than I do random duel-deck with no good reprints.
They make somewhere between 25 to 50 new cards total that might still see play in other formats.
Unsets take consoderably more effort with nonchance of any of them seeing play anywhere.

traveler

Not Wario
Nah. When Mox opened, they started running tournaments at a loss (still are) specifically to drive other local game stores out. They basically threw their money around.

I'm friends with a local owner, and they did everything they could to drive out businesses on the Eastside.

I wasn't aware of that at all. :/

Pretty crummy. I'd pay more for tourneys to play there if it resulted in other lgses staying afloat somehow. The facility itself is enough to get me in, plus all the formats they support.

but they told me no one in Seattle has ACs

Residential spaces don't, for the most part, which is pretty disappointing for someone who likes to keep a room around 67 degrees and below. Commercial spaces do, although there is the odd restaurant with large windows that forgos AC in favor of open air in the summer. Those usually aren't that bad though.

traveler

Not Wario
Honestly, I thought conspiracy fulfilled the "fun" set role better. I wouldn't have minded them going a little deeper towards the unset side of things if I meant we kept getting those in place of an unset. It's way better to play and they even have room to print an eternal staple or three in them. The art has been gorgeous too.

I'll go even further and say drunk magic sucks for everyone invovled especially those not drunk you're playing. Keep the beer off the table!

Especially in EDH. Try resolving a living end with 4 sober people and then imagine 1 or more of those involved be drunk.

Ashodin

it was super fun with my wife because she doesn't like to play magic usually. she knows how the game works and is actually good at it, she just doesn't like competition.

I'd say she's the equivalent of a Babe Ruth sitting on the bench because he doesn't like it when he has to worry about pitcher's throws. She's that good.

Ashodin

I dread the day my wife is forced into a Magic match for like.. money or something. She will DESTROY her opponent and they will not know wtf happened

it was super fun with my wife because she doesn't like to play magic usually. she knows how the game works and is actually good at it, she just doesn't like competition.

I'd say she's the equivalent of a Babe Ruth sitting on the bench because he doesn't like it when he has to worry about pitcher's throws. She's that good.
Hey if it's just the two of you, or any private gathering really, my opinion doesn't apply since you're both cool with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom