• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legacy is dominated by deathrite shamen right now. It's one of the main reasons why bg(x) decks are extremely good in legacy. Grixis delver/Leovold are great in legacy b/c of deathrite shamen.

I understand this. Fourth most played non-land card where the first three most played cards are all Blue spells. Most played creature followed by Delver of Secrets (by about 20% according to MTGGoldfish) and Baleful Strix.

traveler

Not Wario
I was totally fine with DRS until Top got the boot. They either go together or stay together. (And if we're talking truly personally, I'm fine with DRS sticking around even after as a D&T player who'd much rather play against 4c greedy goodstuff than elves.)

traveler

Not Wario
GP Vegas did not turn into the combo winter many expected, but it was just one event. Regardless of which side of the fence I end up being on in the end, I do think we could use a few more major Legacy events, which aren't exactly common occurrences these days, before they deliberate over a possible DRS ban. Eternal weekend should come and go before any changes are considered, and I'm curious how the legacy portion of that event will play out.

Supast4r

If we ban Deathrite, that means we might get to ban Brainstorm one day!

This is a strawman argument. Deathrite shaman does everything a player would want a creature to do in a format with fetchlands. Brainstorm: makes legacy as a format lot more consistent rather than a format that can feel random at times (modern/standard), allows blue to properly police problematic combo decks by allowing interactive decks to find answers, it's a very skill intensive card, brainstorm is horrible without a shuffle effect since you can get brainstorm locked out of the game, etc. The card adds a lot of skill and consistency to the format and without it, the format gets a lot more random and loses a lot of what makes legacy the format that it is today.

Supast4r

GP Vegas did not turn into the combo winter many expected, but it was just one event. Regardless of which side of the fence I end up being on in the end, I do think we could use a few more major Legacy events, which aren't exactly common occurrences these days, before they deliberate over a possible DRS ban. Eternal weekend should come and go before any changes are considered, and I'm curious how the legacy portion of that event will play out.

DRS won't get banned for a LONG time. It's similar to how they handled sensei's divining top in that it won't get banned since the card isn't pushing any deck to oppressive levels. Popular tier 1 decks like Grixis delver/4 color control will have to have a lot of top 8s at high stake tournaments in order to have a ban actually happen.

traveler

Not Wario
636340310451017816.png

Didn't see this posted yet. Seems.... ok. Not too great, but not terrible. Could be good against a control deck if cast early at least.

636340310451017816.png

Didn't see this posted yet. Seems.... ok. Not too great, but not terrible. Could be good against a control deck if cast early at least.

It's fun in Amonkhet block-specific -1/-1 counters decks (Hepatra, Nest of Scarabs, etc.) because you're the one putting the counter on the Ammit in response to the opponent's casting trigger, yeah?

G.ZZZ

This is a strawman argument. Deathrite shaman does everything a player would want a creature to do in a format with fetchlands. Brainstorm: makes legacy as a format lot more consistent rather than a format that can feel random at times (modern/standard), allows blue to properly police problematic combo decks by allowing interactive decks to find answers, it's a very skill intensive card, brainstorm is horrible without a shuffle effect since you can get brainstorm locked out of the game, etc. The card adds a lot of skill and consistency to the format and without it, the format gets a lot more random and loses a lot of what makes legacy the format that it is today.

Brainstorm is effectively Ancestral recall and it is both the reason 4c stuff was always viable (easy to run 19 lands 4c when you run 4 Ancestrals) and the reason a lot of combo lists are viable too (SnT would be straight unplayable and storm would be way worse without draw 3 and anti-discard instant spell). Brainstorm is also the reason top got banned. Brainstorm doesn't help consistency, it make consistency a joke. Ponder/Preordain/Portent are consistency cards, brainstorm is a draw 3. You may as well unban ancestral in legacy for the sake of "consistency" then.

Legacy has been a "ban everything except brainstorm" for years now so much that it's a joke. It's way worse than the "ban everything except necro". And spare me the "skill" part. If anything , Brainstorm is by far the easiest "cantrip" to use as long as you have a fetch.

Legacy should ban DRS and die at this point. The top ban was a joke.

The strongest argument against Brainstorm when compared to most other draw-fixing cards is that at least not having Brainstorm means there's such a thing as a bad hand for Miracles (woops, all Terminus!), whereas with Brainstorm a bad hand just transforms effortlessly into a good hand on demand.

kirblar

Top made legacy events consistently run over time for years. Fuck that card, it has the grave it deserves.

DRS will go eventually, it makes color fixing too easy and warps things, same as it did in Modern.

Brainstorm will never be banned, cause the format's blue vs the world. And that's fine.

ooh. ooh. If Marvel was still legal lol. Cast Ulamog? OK, take ten?

Man, these Aftermath rares aside from Cut//Ribbons, and maybe Insult//Injury are pretty much uniformly awful. In general everything in Hour I've seen has basically been over costed by at least one and is typically nothing but Commander jank. Set looks like the lowest power level for constructed I've seen since Born of the Gods. I disliked Amonket initially too, but came around after some of the week two spoilers.

Hopefully there's some decent stuff in the next week we've yet to see, because right now the set looks like trash. I'm saying that as someone who doesn't play Commander, so I don't care if the 6 drop legendaries with a 3 CMC activated ability are great in Commander.

Ashodin

Hopefully there's some decent stuff in the next week we've yet to see, because right now the set looks like trash. I'm saying that as someone who doesn't play Commander, so I don't care if the 6 drop legendaries with a 3 CMC activated ability are great in Commander.

The magic thread cycle, everyone!

G.ZZZ

Top made legacy events consistently run over time for years. Fuck that card, it has the grave it deserves.

Quote "events".

And it was not top going to time, it was miracles. Brainstorm being gone would've killed miracle just as top, if not more. With the difference that it would've nerfed significantly 4c goodstuff, killed SnT off the planet, and nerfed storm as well, instead of streamlining the format in 4c tempo like top going did.

Brainstorm will go eventually, it makes color fixing too easy and warps things, same as it did in Modern.

Fixed. Also, DRS is at 40% penetration vs 80% of brainstorm, is much more easier to answer (creature vs instant), and give fair decks an angle to interact with unfair ones via maindeckable grave hate. But DRS is the problem, sure.

EDIT: refuse cost FOUR lol. It would be borderline playable at 1 and a strictly sb card at 2. Good riddance red.

The magic thread cycle, everyone!

You play a lot of Standard, based on your posts. I don't know if you play Modern or Legacy much, but honestly; I'm curious what cards you find exciting from this set?

The only ones I'm interested in a little are Bolas, and Solemnity. I really don't see much otherwise that looks like it'd go into any constructed decks.

Edit: Actually, I forgot about Ramunap Excavator. I'm legitimately excited for that card and would like to brew with that. Otherwise I stand by my points. Nimble Obstructionist is okay too, although, not great.

kirblar

GPs, local events, you name it. If it had Miracles, rounds were going over time.

Top is a cancerous card.

This is not an opinion. This is what happened time after time, year after year, till they finally pulled the damn trigger.

G.ZZZ

GPs, local events, you name it. If it had Miracles, rounds were going over time.

Top is a cancerous card.

This is not an opinion. This is what happened time after time, year after year, till they finally pulled the damn trigger.

What is this, the 4th grade?
Of course it's an opinion. A card can only be a problem if it see enough play to become one. Top isn't a problem in vintage and wasn't a problem in legacy until miracle became a mechanic. Stasis is another absurdly durdly card that create non-games and no one seriously ask for a banning of stasis. There are tons of said cards in magic.

This wasn't happened time after time or year after year. This is purely revisionist history. Countertop was just another deck and a fringe one before miracles. The format was dominated by goblins and threshold for years while top was legal, who knew?

kirblar

Except it is. A card is a problem if it see enough play to become one. Top isn't a problem in vintage and wasn't a problem in legacy until miracle became a mechanic. Stasis is another absurdly durdly card that create non-games and no one seriously ask for a banning of stasis. There are tons of said cards in magic.

This wasn't happened time after time or year after year. This is purely revisionist history. Countertop was just another deck and a fringe one before miracles. The format was dominated by goblins and threshold for years while top was legal, who knew?
GP NJ went horribly, horribly over time explicitly because of the deck. (source: I was there)

Stasis doesn't cause issues in events because Stasis is trash.

Miracles was a T1 deck that caused enough bad players to pick up Miracles that it caused problems. Yes, durdly cards that are pure shit aren't issues in tournaments because real players punch those players out of the tournament. Not so with Miracles and Top.

The card was explicitly banned in both Extended and Modern for causing issues w/ time management for judges, TOs, and players, and it finally got its well-deserved axe in Legacy that was years too late.

You can have another opinion. But your opinion will be wrong.

Ri'Orius

Flashback Twincast? That seems really good.

I mainly just play limited, so I feel like a lot of the discussion in this thread is lost on me and it's entirely possible I'm missing something, but I don't see how that card is good in any format. Refuse is so expensive and does so little, even a good bottom half seems just weighed down completely by it.

I mainly just play limited, so I feel like a lot of the discussion in this thread is lost on me and it's entirely possible I'm missing something, but I don't see how that card is good in any format. Refuse is so expensive and does so little, even a good bottom half seems just weighed down completely by it.

There's decks that can just dump it in the GY and play only the second half, though admittedly most of them run too lean on mana to do much with it.

inthrall

A top banning makes me more interested in legacy than before. I still remember standard matches always going 15 minutes over time because of that card

Ashodin

You play a lot of Standard, based on your posts. I don't know if you play Modern or Legacy much, but honestly; I'm curious what cards you find exciting from this set?

The only ones I'm interested in a little are Bolas, and Solemnity. I really don't see much otherwise that looks like it'd go into any constructed decks.

Edit: Actually, I forgot about Ramunap Excavator. I'm legitimately excited for that card and would like to brew with that. Otherwise I stand by my points. Nimble Obstructionist is okay too, although, not great.

Here's a quick list of cards I'm excited for from the spoiler

I don't know what your gauge is here, are you less accepting on SB cards vs. Maindeck? Anyway, here's the list.

The Scarab God and The Locust God look like solid top-ends for the decks that want them. They're not setting the world on fire, but they'll do incredible things, and you have to exile them to stop them from coming back.

In the same vein, Neheb the Eternal seems like a really powerful card in the right deck, and I look forward to brewing with him.

The defeat cards will absolutely see play (most likely, Gideon or Liliana ones) in the sideboards.

Speaking more of sideboards, Abrade looks to be an incredible change up of cards depending on the matchup which you can swap some burn out for artifact destruction. Crook of Condemnation shuts down graveyard decks and they will hate you (GB Delirium is nearly dead), plus Solemnity hates hard on GW Nissa decks. Both of those previously mentioned fit into my current deck's sideboard and I'm happy for hosers.

I'm actually eyeballing Vizier of the True because exert -> tap feels really good.

Oh and Wildfire Eternal seems REALLY good.

Firemind

Brainstorm is effectively Ancestral recall and it is both the reason 4c stuff was always viable
Doesn't DRS make 4c just as viable if not moreso? Wasteland is a thing and DRS can dodge that. In the past, you rarely saw 4c decks and everyone played Brainstorms as well. It's only after DRS and Leovold, that people got super greedy with the mana base. I don't think Brainstorm is to blame here.

ElyrionX

GP NJ went horribly, horribly over time explicitly because of the deck. (source: I was there)

Miracles was a T1 deck that caused enough bad players to pick up Miracles that it caused problems. Yes, durdly cards that are pure shit aren't issues in tournaments because real players punch those players out of the tournament. Not so with Miracles and Top.

The card was explicitly banned in both Extended and Modern for causing issues w/ time management for judges, TOs, and players, and it finally got its well-deserved axe in Legacy that was years too late.

It's a fair point but I do think the whole time limit issue is a huge flaw of the game. Players should be allowed to take as damn long as they want and players shouldn't be able to lose games that they can clearly win just because the other player took his own sweet time.

Hero

It's a fair point but I do think the whole time limit issue is a huge flaw of the game. Players should be allowed to take as damn long as they want and players shouldn't be able to lose games that they can clearly win just because the other player took his own sweet time.

What do you propose for a solution in a tournament setting?

Supast4r

Brainstorm is effectively Ancestral recall and it is both the reason 4c stuff was always viable (easy to run 19 lands 4c when you run 4 Ancestrals) and the reason a lot of combo lists are viable too (SnT would be straight unplayable and storm would be way worse without draw 3 and anti-discard instant spell). Brainstorm is also the reason top got banned. Brainstorm doesn't help consistency, it make consistency a joke. Ponder/Preordain/Portent are consistency cards, brainstorm is a draw 3. You may as well unban ancestral in legacy for the sake of "consistency" then.

Legacy has been a "ban everything except brainstorm" for years now so much that it's a joke. It's way worse than the "ban everything except necro". And spare me the "skill" part. If anything , Brainstorm is by far the easiest "cantrip" to use as long as you have a fetch.

Legacy should ban DRS and die at this point. The top ban was a joke.
What are you talking about? Brainstorm gives NO card advantage while ancestral recall puts you up 2 cards. If you think brainstorm is ancestral recall then put it in a deck with no shuffling and come back to me. Legacy has had almost no bans as a format because it's been a great format because of the cards that make legacy the format that it is. Legacy is a wasteland/brainstorm/force of will format and that will never change. Asking for a brainstorm is like asking for a thoughtsize ban in modern. It will never happen and it's not worth discussing. Your comments make me believe that you have never played legacy.

Supast4r

I'm not questioning the top ban but I feel like a counterbalance ban made more sense to me since that is the cancerous lock in the deck that nothing else used.

Repgnar

When is the full set spoiled? Looking forward to the pre pre-release this weekend. I watched the last one but since I didn't really play prior to pre-release weekend for Amonkhet I felt like I didn't grasp more than just the rules. Have they announced who will be on the stream?

Yeef

Mirage Mirror is sure to be a breakout hit.

Sensei's Divining Top allows you to make complex, challenging, potentially game-altering decisions multiple times per turn for the cost of only one mana. Of course it chews up the tournament clock. It should have been banned long ago. Yes, it's a sweet card. Not it's not necessarily overpowered. But it logistically ruins tournaments. Second Sunrise got banned for the same reason in Moderns - Eggs was not too good, but it completely shattered tournament logistics and had to go.

What are you talking about? Brainstorm gives NO card advantage while ancestral recall puts you up 2 cards. If you think brainstorm is ancestral recall then put it in a deck with no shuffling and come back to me. Legacy has had almost no bans as a format because it's been a great format because of the cards that make legacy the format that it is. Legacy is a wasteland/brainstorm/force of will format and that will never change. Asking for a brainstorm is like asking for a thoughtsize ban in modern. It will never happen and it's not worth discussing. Your comments make me believe that you have never played legacy.

I mean, that you're having to qualify your scenario shows that you know that in a deck with fetches brainstorm is an effective draw 3. You also don't seem to realize that combo decks benefit a lot from having brainstorm, but we're at least being polite about it and not accusing you of 'never playing legacy' because of it.

If they're starting to ban cards that have been legal for years and have a warping effect on the format, then we will eventually get to brainstorm.

Oh, and top causing matches to go to time was explicitly stated as a reason for its banning. Lets not pretend otherwise.

Supast4r

I mean, that you're having to qualify your scenario shows that you know that in a deck with fetches brainstorm is an effective draw 3. You also don't seem to realize that combo decks benefit a lot from having brainstorm, but we're at least being polite about it and not accusing you of 'never playing legacy' because of it.

If they're starting to ban cards that have been legal for years and have a warping effect on the format, then we will eventually get to brainstorm.

Oh, and top causing matches to go to time was explicitly stated as a reason for its banning. Lets not pretend otherwise.
It's not a draw 3 because it's not putting three new cards in your hand. Draw three = net two cards. This doesn't do that hence why it isn't a draw three since it's not card advantage. This is NOT a debate. Brainstorm is just as powerful as wasteland in legacy and both of those cards are what make the format legacy. They aren't getting banned so this is a waste of time talking about it. I would rather talk about banning fatal push in modern because that sounds less ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom