• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

bigkrev

Lord of the Pit 100% needed to be in this set (He's on the shortlist of Sengir Vampire and Juzam Djinn as most Iconic black creature of Magics first 10 years), but god if you are paying $10 a pack you will hate opening him.

This set probably should have been 3.99 and not had cards like Horizon Canopy in it if that's what it took

Reasonably sized version:

YPaN0Sm.jpg

Sweet, Vraska of Promise deck incoming.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Lord of the Pit 100% needed to be in this set (He's on the shortlist of Sengir Vampire and Juzam Djinn as most Iconic black creature of Magics first 10 years), but god if you are paying $10 a pack you will hate opening him.

This set probably should have been 3.99 and not had cards like Horizon Canopy in it if that's what it took

I think that Conspiracy: Take the Crown showed that even regularly-priced sets can still support expensive reprints as long as they're not in vast quantity. Horizon Canopy could have been this set's Show and Tell.

bigkrev

Beautiful!

Is Modern Merfolk getting enough from Ixalan that it might go B/G?

It's really hard to see that happening. The deck is filled with UU lords and takes advantage of Devotion with Master of Waves.

That Green merfolk seems way worse than Silvergil Adept in a Modern deck, for example.

Plus, Merfolk is one of the few Modern decks that starts the game at a virtual 20 life, not a virtual 15-17 life like every other deck that relies on fetching and shocklands

red13th

anyway Mana Drain, they did it folks.
expecting Ancient Tomb, Mana Vault and broken mana too if Mana Drain is okay in this set.
soooo excited!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Beautiful!

Is Modern Merfolk getting enough from Ixalan that it might go B/G?
I don't think any of them are worth splashing green for unless you were already doing it for CoCo.

Adaren

I think Vraska is really strong.

+ Huge loyalty
+ Creature creation on a plus ability
+ Destroy anything that isn't a Planeswalker for a reasonable cost while ALSO banking mana
+ Achievable, game-ending ult

Yeah, she's 6 mana, but she's about as strong as you can reasonably expect a 6 mana Planeswalker to be. If there's a GB deck than can afford her then I absolutely expect her to be impactful.

Firemind

None of them are playable outside of Commander and then just released an ALL-DRAGONS, ALL THE TIME Commander product. It seems weird. I guess they're hoping people are wanting to pimp their dragon deck.
The originals are way cooler though since they're painted by Japanese artists.

I collect dragons and even I don't want them.

Ashodin

I think Vraska is really strong.

+ Huge loyalty
+ Creature creation on plus ability
+ Destroy anything that isn't a Planeswalker for a reasonable cost while ALSO banking mana
+ Achievable, game-ending ult

Yeah, she's 6 mana, but she's about as strong as you can reasonably expect a 6 mana Planeswalker to be. If there's a GB deck than can afford her then I absolutely expect her to be impactful.
There's some serious ramp in this standard too. Plus the colors she's in are strong.

They broke the pattern of putting the cards on bottom in a random order.

There was definitely a philosophical shake up behind the scenes for this set. They are reversing things that had previously been changed about how cards are supposed to work.
What? No, with low numbers of cards, they allow you to choose the order. It's been like that for a while.

Anyway, surprised that they previewed Iconic Masters cards after all.

bigkrev

None of them are playable outside of Commander and then just released an ALL-DRAGONS, ALL THE TIME Commander product. It seems weird. I guess they're hoping people are wanting to pimp their dragon deck.

Keiga, Kokusho and Yuesi all saw standard play, with Kokusho seeing a TON of standard play, and was one of the 2 chase cards in Champions of Kamigawa.

The cycle is perfectly qualified to be in this set, as long as they aren't Mythics (which they arent

noquarter

I like the Mana Drain art better than the Judge art, but really wish they would get the original artist to do the art again on the Iconic cards like they did with FoW. Hopefully they try to do that in Masters 25 with all the Mythics. And maybe give Hyalopterous Lemure another shot.

I like the Mana Drain art better than the Judge art, but really wish they would get the original artist to do the art again on the Iconic cards like they did with FoW. Hopefully they try to do that in Masters 25 with all the Mythics. And maybe give Hyalopterous Lemure another shot.

Why would anyone want a copy of Hyalopterous Lemure without the original art? That's the only thing that makes the card interesting.

Santiako

Keiga, Kokusho and Yuesi all saw standard play, with Kokusho seeing a TON of standard play, and was one of the 2 chase cards in Champions of Kamigawa.

The cycle is perfectly qualified to be in this set, as long as they aren't Mythics (which they arent

Kokusho was really busted with the old legend rule haha. It was the finisher of choice of Rock decks in extended for a while since you could drop the second Kokusho to drain 10 and end the game.

Top Bottom