• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Alright so I'm on the beta trying to put a UB control deck together and there's no wrath except bontu's last reckoning which is garbage. There's no replacement for flaying tendrils either (Yahenni's Expertise is terrible for a deck that doesn't have 3s to cast) and even the removal sucks. There's fatal push, vraska's contempt and a whole lot of nothing.

Back to looking for a control deck that splashes Scarab God.
I forgot it even did that. What a dumb card.

it's pretty hilarious getting back 2 4/4s of theirs with haste, drain them for 2, then exerting one of them so they can't block and come in for 15 damage from nowhere.

Scarab God is so good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not really hilarious, its confusing and overpowered imo

Lucario

Alright so I'm on the beta trying to put a UB control deck together and there's no wrath except bontu's last reckoning which is garbage. There's no replacement for flaying tendrils either (Yahenni's Expertise is terrible for a deck that doesn't have 3s to cast) and even the removal sucks. There's fatal push, vraska's contempt and a whole lot of nothing.

it's pretty hilarious getting back 2 4/4s of theirs with haste, drain them for 2, then exerting one of them so they can't block and come in for 15 damage from nowhere.

Scarab God is so good.

.... the beta's up?

lmao they've been telling me they'll give me beta notifications for a year now and have forgotten every time

It's because Eternalize is a stupid ability, the copies made by the fake Eternalize cards don't actually work like eternalize, and because instant speed recursion is stupid.
that's actually weird. Scarab God overwrites their type and leaves their CMC intact but Eternalize overwrites the latter but makes them zombies in addition.

That makes no difference to the play I mentioned though or any I know of really.
.... the beta's up?

lmao they've been telling me they'll give me beta notifications for a year now and have forgotten every time
If you can get into the beta forums you can message a mod there.

https://magicbeta.forums.net/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
that's actually weird. Scarab God overwrites their type and leaves their CMC intact but Eternalize overwrites the latter but makes them zombies in addition.

That makes no difference to the play I mentioned though or any I know of really.

Yes there is; they're straight copies which Eternalize isn't, which means you generally can't hit the copies with Fatal Push.

Angry Grimace

Is it really overpowered? It didn't really dominate the tournament scene so far. It won only one GP that I remember.

For limited though it is stupid.

That's because we were just talking about Carnage Tyrant and not how it would beat a Desert Red deck, which it wouldn't.

they sent me the installer once after the beta had already ended, but never activated my account to work on the beta forums.

every email I sent, they replied with scripted responses >_>

I have no idea how MTGO customer support is still this bad.
The beta team is basically 2 guys.

Lucario

The beta team is basically 2 guys.

I don't even think my tickets are making it to the beta team, though.

I'm guessing MTGO support team are just seeing "BETA" in the titles of tickets, ignoring the contents, and repeatedly adding me to the beta queue.... which will never get processed, because I'm already in the beta, just with a botched registration that will apparently never be fixed.

Angry Grimace

I don't even think my tickets are making it to the beta team, though.

I'm guessing MTGO support team are just seeing "BETA" in the titles of tickets, ignoring the contents, and repeatedly adding me to the beta queue.... which will never get processed, because I'm already in the beta, just with a botched registration that will apparently never be fixed.
They probably aren't. The beta playing crew is down to like 10 people total. It's me against the same 9 dudes at this point. Assuming anyone is online.

Matriox

removal outside of red is absolute garbage, I can't believe wizards thinks this is acceptable for a standard environment.

Walk the Plank had to be an instant.
I've been brewing a bit just to see what I can throw together... Skywhaler's shot, fatal push, and unlicensed disintegration are about the cleanest removal available for Dinos...
Stealth edit: and cast out..

I've been brewing a bit just to see what I can throw together... Skywhaler's shot, fatal push, and unlicensed disintegration are about the cleanest removal available for Dinos...

meanwhile red gets access to abrade, harnessed lightning and lightning strike just at 2 mana, while also having the 2 best board clears.

Angry Grimace

Dinosaurs isn't a real deck until you see it.

The best removal is Fatal Push because all of the things we can say are factually good are cheap red dudes.

Unconditional removal is basically just Cast Out and Vraska's Contempt unless you're playing a color that can use Unlicensed or are willing to go to Sorcery speed (fuck that).

Angry Grimace

That's fair, but I really just mean ripjaw Raptor specifically. That card terrifies me without a clean answer lol.
I haven't really tried anything that's just playing it for value for sure. Removing a really big dude is going to be weird for a bit.

I honestly think Bontu's Last Reckoning might see a lot of play even though objectively it's a bad card. It costs less to remove the entire board with it than it does to just remove a X/4.

Repgnar

Won my first draft event today in a group of 8. Somehow they didn't get their shipment of HOU so we played 3 AKH. Drafted a W/B zombie stall deck with 2 edifices and the 7 Mana black curse that forces them to sac or take 5 dmg. First rounds went super long with the way the deck was set up but the games for first went really quick with me curving out perfectly both games and my opponent having Mana problems both games. Got a fatal push and the win so it was a good night.

y2dvd

Yeah, Scarab God is pretty busted. Dude attacks with his 8/8 Verdurous Gearhulk into my 5/5 Scarab God, excepts he forgot he had another Gearhulk in his gy. I Eternalize it, get a 9/9 Scarab, block, play Radiant Flames next turn and crack back for the win.

I got my 3rd Fatal Push also going 2nd place. My lgs announced from here on, FNM promos will always be random instead of the top 2 being guaranteed one. Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it encourages home brews. On the other, it doesn't reward a more competitive player.

Copenap

Quick update from my first ever FNM yesterday and the booster draft.

So the draft was really rough, I had no idea what to go for. Ended up with a red blued deck and just tried to be aggro.

Lost all 3 games, BUT I went 1-2 twice so I won two games and overall 2-6 seems fair enough. I actually won my very first game, didn't tell the guy it was literally my first game in like 20 years because he was quite understanding when I made mistakes. Got a promo card in the end.

Btw since I already signed up for MtG Arena before I had a DCI, does anybody know how the priority access works when I go to the prerelease next week? I should be fine since I used the same email, right?

Ashodin

Here's what I have so far, give critique and suggestions for dec

zXAtFeF.gif

Still waffling on cards tho

Like Dusk + Bloodcrazed Paladin is some crazy shit, but also any other boardwipe he turns into a fucking huge monster that has to be dealt with

Then Dawn gets back every single creature I own from the yard

I'm honestly thinking of dropping Hidden Stockpile for one more Costly Plunder + Fatal Push.

What are some more cards similar to Pox, Deathcloud, and Smallpox? I'm trying to build a Golgari commander deck and I want spells that keep big mana decks in check without Armageddon-ing the board entirely

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What are some more cards similar to Pox, Deathcloud, and Smallpox? I'm trying to build a Golgari commander deck and I want spells that keep big mana decks in check without Armageddon-ing the board entirely

Rain of Tears, Blight, Icequake, Sinkhole, Rancid Earth for targeted land destruction

Hymn to Tourach for discard

Ashodin

Don't run a legendary that's already questionably good 3 times. Is there any payoff to all the tokens or do you just scoop to sweltering suns?
Bloodcrazed Paladin is the counter to sweltering. Drop two of those bad boys for 7/7 and 8/8s or whatever
Also yahenni can eat a dude to become indestructible. Oh shit I forgot to include metallic mimic

0-1 at nationals. Game 2 land and colour screwed after a Mulligan and game 3 my 1st threat was 30 something cards deep into my library. Dem's the beats when you're playing control.

Edit: 0-2 drop. Got my Inkmoth Nexus.
Bloodcrazed Paladin is the counter to sweltering. Drop two of those bad boys for 7/7 and 8/8s or whatever
Also yahenni can eat a dude to become indestructible. Oh shit I forgot to include metallic mimic
Easy to play around when you have mana up. He also doesn't have evasion or protective measures. He's very vanilla.

Ashodin

Yeah, but I also have a lot of removal to clear the way, and sideboard will include a hand attack package to dissuade board clears

20+ year magic player here. After playing against a commander that has an ability from the command zone that is constantly active regardless of whether the commander is cast (this time Edgar Markov) for the 3rd time, I would say its about time that WOTC stop in its tracks and remove all of these types of commanders via the ban list. Edgar Markov has a CMC of 6, not a CMC of 0. He should act like a card with a CMC of 6.

Cards should generally not have effects when not played in Magic: The Gathering.

Supast4r

Scarab God is so good.
Grixis gives you hour of devastation while white gives hour of revelation. You have many options

Supast4r

20+ year magic player here. After playing against a commander that has an ability from the command zone that is constantly active regardless of whether the commander is cast (this time Edgar Markov) for the 3rd time, I would say its about time that WOTC stop in its tracks and remove all of these types of commanders via the ban list. Edgar Markov has a CMC of 6, not a CMC of 0. He should act like a card with a CMC of 6.

Cards should generally not have effects when not played in Magic: The Gathering.
Wizards isn't in charge of the edh ban list.

Copenap

That's really unlikely considering that they only just introduced this skill to sell the Commander 2017 sets. Since it's a casual format I guess you can always just agree to not use emminence?

Wizards isn't in charge of the edh ban list.

This technicality aside, I really don't care who is in charge of the ban list.

That's really unlikely considering that they only just introduced this skill to sell the Commander 2017 sets. Since it's a casual format I guess you can always just agree to not use emminence?

Well, I can tell you its an abject mistake. It makes any themed deck grossly overpowered. Much like using old powerful cards in EDH is significantly mitigated in multiplayer vs. in 1 v 1, the same is likely true here. However, again, they effectively attached a 0 converted mana cost enchantment that can't be removed to the commander. It breaks the game.

Also, as I recall, 2017 is not the first year when a commander existed that had command zone abilities attached to it. However, maybe I'm wrong on that point.

Well, I can tell you its an abject mistake. It makes any themed deck grossly overpowered. Much like using old powerful cards in EDH is significantly mitigated in multiplayer vs. in 1 v 1, the same is likely true here. However, again, they effectively attached a 0 converted mana cost enchantment that can't be removed to the commander. It breaks the game.

Also, as I recall, 2017 is not the first year when a commander existed that had command zone abilities attached to it. However, maybe I'm wrong on that point.

203.jpg

From the way you worded it, you're playing 1 v 1 Commander?

EDIT: The logic behind eminence
One of the big challenges we had to solve in design was addressing some of the issues with tribal decks. We already discussed one of them earlier, which is that the creature density you need to build a tribal deck conflicts with what tends to be good in Commander.

One other issue we found with building tribal decks is that sometimes you have to fill your deck with cards you wouldn't normally play in Commander. For example, if you build a Cats deck, the first handful of Cats might be great, but by the end you might end up playing a couple Cats you're less than thrilled about. This means you're going to need a bit of extra incentive to want to play with them. And, plus, we want to make sure you have enough creatures.

We investigated several different mechanics and eventually came up with something that made you want to play a tribe because it affected everything about your deck. It wasn't just this one card that was awesome—this commander made your entire deck more awesome simply by being your commander.

It was called "coach" in design. You'll get to know it as eminence.

[...]

Okay, now let's talk about eminence.

It puts tribal front and center, making the decks loudly tribal and creating inherent tribal gameplay. Every game you play using a creature with eminence as your commander is going to make you care about your tribe. It's awesome.

Now, I know what past card you're probably comparing eminence to. And it's this guy.

Oloro is not a card I'm particularly fond of. He's another guy in the same space, granting you a bonus from the command zone. So what gives? Why is Oloro a card I cringe at while eminence is something I'm happy to put in the set?

Well, there's a big key difference.

Oloro works in any deck from the Command Zone, providing something incrementally every turn without caring at all about what you're doing. It doesn't have any kind of deck-building restriction.

With eminence, on the other hand, you actually have to do something to make it good. You're paying a cost of building your deck in a certain way. Additionally, unlike Oloro, which simply awards you life every turn, eminence impacts cards you actually play, meaning they're as removable as anything else. Yeah, I can play my Dragons for cheaper, but you can still deal with my Dragons all the same. It just helps make some Dragons playable that are one mana too expensive.

Son1x

I agree with GregLombardi. Just because they're not as broken or all-around as Oloro, itdoesn't make them fair or fun. Its still a terrible design that literally awards you for not playing the commander.

It's weird that they have Fog in the name when it doesn't prevent damage to players like with Fog. They usually avoid naming issues like that.

I understand your pain, but I also chuckle because I must admit, out of all of my Commanders, they are WotC specifically designed Commanders. Wizards makes the strongest Commanders! From Oloro and Prossh to Daretti to Breya and Atraxa and now Edgar Markov!
They all feel cheaty or busted in some way and that's why I love them.

Violet_0

Banned

I guess that makes sense, though I think that creature could be anything. It doesn't look like a fish and the thing on the arm is not a fin

regarding the Scarab God discussion earlier, I'd just like to say that reanimator decks are the best thing ever and I wish we would get some unrestricted 1-2 mana reanimation cards again just so I could make something stupid like a turn 2 Gishath, Sun’s Avatar deck

Top Bottom