• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's pretty much where I am both regarding Amonkhet (underwhelmed) and Ixalan (excited). Even though, again, Ixalan rares, at least the ones leaked, seem to be more on the underpowered side.

I think the general idea is that it plays like battlecruiser magic - you seem to get the option of build-arounds like vampires or to just play full treasure and use the treasure to power out huge fuckoff dinosaurs.

Repgnar

I don't have anything to compare to since I started with Amonkhet but it was a great block to learn with. I really enjoyed watching people draft it as well. Looking forward to having a lot more success at pre-release woth Ixalan and most likely building/buying a modern deck since I've only played standard and limited.

Ashodin

I think the general idea is that it plays like battlecruiser magic - you seem to get the option of build-arounds like vampires or to just play full treasure and use the treasure to power out huge fuckoff dinosaurs.

Don't forget Hour of Promise. That card will be crucial in making huge fuck off dinos

Santiako

phVxd1S.jpg

Source

Good uncommon :)

The gold uncommons are insane in this set.

I can't place or explain why but everything about Amonkhet annoys me to the point it's by far my least favorite limited format of all time, especially with Hour. Nothing in it is interesting. It's part of the reason I stopped playing and posting in here that much - I actively just don't want to play the game.

I'm not saying it's the worst or least balanced format of all time. I'm just saying I personally hate the set and its sequel set. More than Battle for Zendikar.

Yeah, I know whaat you mean. They're probably my least favourite block. It's just boring, not interesting and the potentially cool setting was mostly squandered.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't undrestand why my opponent always draws Jace the Mind Sculptor and I always draw Putrid fucking Leech. I don't really get the Jund deck though. It's not even sort of fun because you never can do anything other than play land until you die because all the other decks are doing things that are too powerful for Lightning Bolt to be relevant against. like your opponent plays Grave Titan and you scoop. Your opponent plays Jace and you scoop. Your opponent plays Lost Soverigns and you scoop.

With how good these magic scanners have gotten I'm actually surprised coverage doesn't have card recognition integrated already.

I spent quite some time today scanning my EDH decks for cataloguing purposes, man do these decks get expensive, and I'm genuinely impressed quick and mostly accurate and that on a free app. Afterwards export it into excel and put it into the cloud, the smarphone age truly is amazing.

kirblar

I don't undrestand why my opponent always draws Jace the Mind Sculptor and I always draw Putrid fucking Leech. I don't really get the Jund deck though. It's not even sort of fun because you never can do anything other than play land until you die because all the other decks are doing things that are too powerful for Lightning Bolt to be relevant against. like your opponent plays Grave Titan and you scoop. Your opponent plays Jace and you scoop. Your opponent plays Lost Soverigns and you scoop.
Which Standard format is this? Because Jund vs UW tapout was an even matchup.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pretty much all available limited archetypes can be viably drafted in Hour. It's a set that plays and drafts really well.

duxstar

With how good these magic scanners have gotten I'm actually surprised coverage doesn't have card recognition integrated already.

I spent quite some time today scanning my EDH decks for cataloguing purposes, man do these decks get expensive, and I'm genuinely impressed quick and mostly accurate and that on a free app. Afterwards export it into excel and put it into the cloud, the smarphone age truly is amazing.

My somewhat mediocre dragonlord dromoka deck added up to almost $600, and i suspect my even more mediocre decks are worth a couple hundred each.

My somewhat mediocre dragonlord dromoka deck added up to almost $600, and i suspect my even more mediocre decks are worth a couple hundred each.
As soon as you start upgrading lands the price goes through the roof. No way I could afford all these decks if I didn't switch cards between them. I'd have to spend like an additional 400$ per deck and I'm to 7 now and have tentative lists for 3 more decks.

Ashodin

tCMRJKG.gif

yeah deck value is up there bro

Poppy

it's kind of amazing how incredibly bad this card is. Okay, Wild Nacatl doesn't start out as a 3/3 but you do not under any circumstances want your opponent to get an extra land turn 1 in exchange for a mere 3/3 creatures
but aven mindcensor is in standard! think of the possibilities!
the non turn 1 possibilities!

Angry Grimace

The Magic Online launch event is September 25, and it goes on sale Online on September 29. I have a schedule in the second post.

The on-sale portion is legitimately meaningless though - nobody buys loose packs on MTGO and you can draft it on the launch event so its functionally just release on the 25th.

Angry Grimace

Don't forget Hour of Promise. That card will be crucial in making huge fuck off dinos

These dinosaurs aren't constructed playable unless there's something I'm missing. Ramping to 8 isn't going to be cheaper in this format than any other format.

These dinosaurs aren't constructed playable unless there's something I'm missing. Ramping to 8 isn't going to be cheaper in this format than any other format.

Ulamog's gone so Ramp doesn't really know what to do anymore.

Just staring at a pile of 10 lands on the table wistfully. Throwing out a Nicol Bolas with a disappointed sigh.

Angry Grimace

brilliant. The element of surprise will be on your side every single time

I just want to add that this thing is totally Warhammer

the 4 mana green one is, I'd say

That one isn't really the kind of huge fuckoff guys I was talking about. I'm talking those 7 and 8 CMC dudes. I mean, maybe the 6 mana Hexproof guy is playable, if only because it's the only one that doesn't just immediately die to Walk the Plank or whatever other removal is legal.

I mean, Regisaur Alpha looks playable as hell to me, but it's 5 mana and efficient.

Ulamog's gone so Ramp doesn't really know what to do anymore.

Just staring at a pile of 10 lands on the table wistfully. Throwing out a Nicol Bolas with a disappointed sigh.

I would rather play Sandwurm Convergence than Nicol Bolas.

Violet_0

Banned
I mean, Regisaur Alpha looks playable as hell to me, but it's 5 mana and efficient.

oh, I didn't even see that one. Quite comperable to Wingmate Roc, no flying but a dinosaur haste giver

it looks like the dinosaur deck builds itself. And it's Gruul, the forbidden color combination

any idea what all the life gain in the set is for? I thought there would be more cards that use life as a resource, but it seems to be mostly just Ruin Raider and 1 or two other pirates?

red13th

I'm strongly considering cubing the 7/6 Trample Hexproof uncounterable dino because it's such a "fuck you control" card. It's so boring though... my cut would be either Kalonian Hydra or Verdurous Gearhulk and I love both of them. so many hard choices.

Angry Grimace

oh, I didn't even see that one. Quite comperable to Wingmate Roc, no flying but a dinosaur haste giver

it looks like the dinosaur deck builds itself. And it's Gruul, the forbidden color combination

any idea what all the life gain in the set is for? I thought there would be more cards that use life as a resource, but it seems to be mostly just Ruin Raider and 1 or two other pirates?

Probably something vampirey.

I mean, yeah you can just spam 4/5 Dino + Double Dino + lame-as-fuck Uncounterable Dino and be doing okay.

I'm strongly considering cubing the 7/6 Trample Hexproof uncounterable dino because it's such a "fuck you control" card. It's so boring though... my cut would be either Kalonian Hydra or Verdurous Gearhulk and I love both of them. so many hard choices.

I don't know that it isn't just playable as a 1-of or something anyways. It doesn't die to anything (including Hour of Devastation) other than Fumigate and other conditional wraths like Dusk.

And holy fuck Chandra, Torch of Defiance is 35 dollars again what the fuck

Ashodin

That one isn't really the kind of huge fuckoff guys I was talking about. I'm talking those 7 and 8 CMC dudes. I mean, maybe the 6 mana Hexproof guy is playable, if only because it's the only one that doesn't just immediately die to Walk the Plank or whatever other removal is legal.

I would rather play Sandwurm Convergence than Nicol Bolas.

hell yeah sandwurm convergence

There isn't any fun UG Stompy fodder?

Nothing on the level of Ulamog or Emrakul, certainly.

I guess the Grixis Gods with extra mana up to pay for their abilities is probably the most "big mana" thing in Standard right now? Aside from absurd values of [X] for Torment of Hailfire, but that's more of a classic Black Mana Bomb thing than normal Ramp.

Nothing on the level of Ulamog or Emrakul, certainly.

I guess the Grixis Gods with extra mana up to pay for their abilities is probably the most "big mana" thing in Standard right now? Aside from absurd values of [X] for Torment of Hailfire, but that's more of a classic Black Mana Bomb thing than normal Ramp.
To be fair, Ulamog and Emrakul weren't really my style anyway, objective power aside.

More of an Elder Deep Fiend guy myself. 8)

Is this good enough to play with akiri?

Whenever she attacks she gets +1/0 and a lotus petal to bank mana for when she comes back and I have to suit her up again. Currently my deck has the issue that she eventually becomes too expensive.

lol, I like that - does she die because combat or because she gets killed in another way? Reconnaissance may be good if you want to increase her power, pull her out of combat, and then use the power in some way (deals damage equal to power to target player effect or whatever).

Ride Down on an Isochron Scepter :p

Speaking of Ride Down. Goal of mine, one day, is to get a huge Band together and one-shot someone with it.

lol, I like that - does she die because combat or because she gets killed in another way? Reconnaissance may be good if you want to increase her power, pull her out of combat, and then use the power in some way (deals damage equal to power to target player effect or whatever).

Ride Down on an Isochron Scepter :p

Speaking of Ride Down. Goal of mine, one day, is to get a huge Band together and one-shot someone with it.

other ways predominately, my backup strat is to combo with thoptersword. Silas Renn handling the recursion.

I'm glad I finally have an excuse to play Yahenni thanks to C17 vamps. He's so much better when he comes into play with a Meals on Wheels alongside.

Santiako

OK stupid question, sorry, but if I wanted to get the Ixalan set which of these 2 are worth getting assuming I want the full set of cards for Ixalan?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751X5J5V/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RZG1XZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you want the full set you're better off buying the full set on ebay once it's released. Bundles and boosters are worse value for your money.

Get your scarab gods while they are still comparatively cheap

Yeah, best card in standard that not many people are playing.

Tizoc

If you want the full set you're better off buying the full set on ebay once it's released. Bundles and boosters are worse value for your money.

Yeah, best card in standard that not many people are playing.
Alright then thanks

Ashodin

I wish there was a way to make Yahenni Deathtouch on attack, but I'll settle for wiping the board if I have to, to make them huge

Bloodstained Paladin here works good too

The deck runs maindeck fumigates for shock value - I want to build a huge board of tokens, and if I can't win that way, I blow everything up and have ginormous vamps

rac

Banned
i wanna start playing magic but i got no one to play with

if i were to start id probably buy i budget modern deck since i dont really want to deal with rotations but it looks like my lgs fnm runs commander

i dont wanna play commander i dont think

maybe i should just buy a pauper deck and play on mtgo for fun or w/e

rac

Banned
having that many 1 ofs and a ton of stuff on the board with all different triggers and stuff seems kinda overwhelming

what do i know though

Top Bottom