• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Totally stupid question here: is sealed a 40 card deck max? or 40 spells and then add lands for an over 40 card deck?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay. The Magic site says get 40 spells and then add lands, but draftsim sticks to 40 max.

Yeah 40 spells then lands is normally what you'd do for constructed decks, but in a format like a pre-release you almost certainly don't have enough good cards to make a 60 card deck, so people build 40

Concerning prerelease and luck, I still think it would be a good idea to include a pack of baseline common removal from each color in prerelease packs, like how they include a random rare. That should minimize the variance a bit, but hopefully not too much.

Concerning prerelease and luck, I still think it would be a good idea to include a pack of baseline common removal from each color in prerelease packs, like how they include a random rare. That should minimize the variance a bit, but hopefully not too much.
unless you provide a multitude of each I could see that quickly deviating into the predominat strategy being to splash all the colours and pray you open great green.
fair enough. I can't remember the last time I got to play any broken decks in limited. I'm never the lucky one who pulls a planeswalker, or anything of value, really

Arena can't come soon enough. I just want to play limited without having to pay for it, heh
my last broken deck was DTK where I had a UW deck splashing green for Dl Dromoka with my promo Dl Ojutai.

Holy hell Ixalan is fantastic. I had only read spoilers sparingly but I am beyond impressed. I think it's time for me to jump back into Standard now.

My first two rounds I got skunked, 0-2 both times. After a ridiculously minor adjustment, (Swapping out a single swamp for some random 4 drop creature) it was smooth sailing for the rest of the rounds, back-to-back 2-0s.

I ended up 10th place out of 64 with a record of 4-2. Not my highest technical ranking, but relative to the amount of players I think it was my best performance at a pre-release.

Deck List:
1x Deadeye Plunderers
1x Dire Fleet Hoarder
3x Dire Fleet Interloper
1x Fathom Fleet Cutthroat
1x Herald of Secret Streams
1x Sailor of Means
2x Shaper Apprentice
1x Siren Lookout
1x Siren Stormtamer
1x Skymarch Bloodletter
1x Watertrap Weaver
1x Wind Strider
1x Kitesail Freebooter
1x Drowned Catacomb
9x Island
5x Swamp
1x Unknown Shores
2x Mark of the Vampire
1x One With the Wind
1x Depths of Desire
1x Lookout's Dispersal
1x Chart A Course
1x Pirate's Prize
1x Thaumatic Compass

For the first time I felt like I had a sealed deck that consistently fired on all cylinders, so now I'm looking to see if I can replicate the playstyle and enjoyment in a Standard setup.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hell Ixalan is fantastic.

This is great to hear from more experienced players. It looks like I picked a good time to pick up the game.

Theory-wise, I'm reading about mana curve, card advantage, tempo, and deckbuilding (though that Chapin book is a bit too advanced for a guy only playing a month or so). Any other other topics I should read up on?

Edit: This seems to be a better guide for beginners than Chapin's book... https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/level-one/level-one-full-course-2015-10-05

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm undefeated so far with black white vampires but I might drop and go home, this flu is killing me.
Everyone is trying to play dinosaurs and it's just too easy to kill off the big guys and swarm with vampires.
The vamp that pings and steals life every time a vampire attacks has put in work.
Also nobody seems to be touching blue here.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I'm undefeated so far with black white vampires but I might drop and go home, this flu is killing me.
Everyone is trying to play dinosaurs and it's just too easy to kill off the big guys and swarm with vampires.
The vamp that pings and steals life every time a vampire attacks has put in work.

Man, my germaphobia would have me resigning the game if I drew you at that event.

siddx

Man, my germaphobia would have me resigning the game if I drew you at that event.

Lol I'm being careful. Hand sanitizer and constant hand washing. I'm mostly just stuffed up and running a ridiculous fever at the moment.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Lol I'm being careful. Hand sanitizer and constant hand washing. I'm mostly just stuffed up and running a ridiculous fever at the moment.

That's it, I'm going to wear a surgical mask tonight. I already have to wear earplugs for my horrible tinnitus... I'm going to look like an idiot.

siddx

That's it, I'm going to wear a surgical mask tonight. I already have to wear earplugs for my horrible tinnitus... I'm going to look like an idiot.

It's a mtg event, there will be plenty of people who look far more idiotic. I'm staring at an overweight man in a home made my little pony shirt with a plunging v neck and a fedora with a feather in it sloppily eating ramen noodles over his deck.

Justin

It's a mtg event, there will be plenty of people who look far more idiotic. I'm staring at an overweight man in a home made my little pony shirt with a plunging v neck and a fedora with a feather in it sloppily eating ramen noodles over his deck.

Stop doxing me please

I used to wear a dust mask on-mission when I was deployed because I would get upper respiratory infections from the sandstorms. I thought I looked like the biggest dork in the world, but a few days ago I noticed on Facebook that people from my old unit went through a bunch of deployment pictures where I had the mask and sunglasses on and were tagging them with stuff like "The Surgeon" and "#CODBLOPS7" and got a real solid laugh.

Anyway, it's fine. It's really common to wear breathing masks in Asia these days, just tell people you're into anime.

DrArchon

How's treasure holding up in limited so far? Do blue and black really have better fixing than green like everyone feared? Or is the one-time use nature of it holding it back from being that good?

Wouldn't be the first person I've seen at a MTG event with face protection. Seriously, they're just like cons. Not enough people there practice basic hygiene so they end up being melting pots of all sorts of horrible illnesses.

Man this format. I had several games where a 4th turn Regisaur Alpha wasn't enough to even upset the opponent. Funnily enough, One With the Wind on top was what it took.

How's treasure holding up in limited so far? Do blue and black really have better fixing than green like everyone feared? Or is the one-time use nature of it holding it back from being that good?

I ran Black/Blue treasure.

It's really good in limited.

EDIT: Derp, I can't post images, so, yay.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member

just tell people you're into anime.

Ha!

Wouldn't be the first person I've seen at a MTG event with face protection. Seriously, they're just like cons. Not enough people there practice basic hygiene so they end up being melting pots of all sorts of horrible illnesses.

Going out to buy them today! Though, I feel if i go down this road there is no turning back, beside several sessions with a therapist.

hermit7

Went 2-0 drop yesterday at midnight. Ran abzan dinosaurs with the 3 drop raid that draws on end step and 3 contract killing and vanquish the weak. White was the splash because I was lacking playables but the 3 mana taps when attacking is really good in limited. His effect came up very usefully.

Didn’t pull much sadly. Got 2 if the 7 drop lord that makes 3/3s. Turns out to be a decent limited card when you can swarm the board.

4 mana 4/5 with enrage is also quite good and I suspect could make an impact in standard.

Repgnar

Finished round 1 of my 2nd pre-release with a win off Vraska's ultimating my opponent down from 25. Opened promo Vraska and a Gishath so I'm already pretty happy. While I have a pretty good set of cards to run Gishath I'm going black green as my early game is much better with these colors. Plan was to switch it up if the deck didn't work and try Gishath but round 1 went super well.

Rafy

Just left pre-release. I did ok, went 2-2 with RG dinosaurs. I also had my first bad experience ever in magic.

The third round I had to play the third game because my opponent and I were tied. We only had like 4 minutes before the 5 turns were called, and we ended up playing those. He made a mistake calculating what would go into the stack and resolve first, which cost him the game. Overall it was a nice match, but when I went in for the handshake he swatted my hand away and started yelling at me how the match was shit and it was all my fault he lost. Apparently I took too much time to think and shuffle (it took hin the same exact time as me to do the same things BTW)...

Needless to say I was pissed, and was about to tell him to stick his deck up where the sun don't shine. Thankfully, I took a breath and said whatever and went to my next opponent.

As a person who has fun even when I loose the match because of my love for the game, I have to say, that interaction ruined my afternoon, and has left a sour taste in my mouth for the rest of the night. He ended up apologizing at the end of the pre-release, and I accepted with a fake smile saying that it happens.

Akim

Banned
Just left pre-release. I did ok, went 2-2 with RG dinosaurs. I also had my first bad experience ever in magic.

The third round I had to play the third game because my opponent and were tied. We only had like 4 minutes before the 5 turns were called, and we ended up playing those. He made a mistake calculating what would go into the stack and resolve first, which cost him the game. Overall it was a nice match, but when I went in for the handshake he swatted my hand away and started yelling at me how the match was shit and it was all my fault he lost. Apparently I took too much time to think and shuffle (it took hin the same exact time as me to do the same things BTW)...

Needless to say I was pissed, and was about to tell him to stick his deck up where the sun don't shine. Thankfully, I took a breath and said whatever and went to my next opponent.

As a person who has fun even when I loose the match because of my love for the game, I have to say, that interaction ruined my afternoon, and has left a sour taste in my mouth for the rest of the night. He ended up apologizing at the end of the pre-release, and I accepted with a fake smile saying that it happens.

That sucks man. Try not to let it bother you. I've had a lot of bad experiences over the past 20 years of playing magic, I'm almost starting to think I'm the problem.

I guess I don't mesh well with the personalities of people that play the game. I always try to be nice and friendly but the social skills of a large percentage of players is really lacking and it rubs me the wrong way.

The most fun I've had playing magic is when I had a playgroup for practice and we'd travel around to tournaments and brew. Speaking of, anyone playing near Redmond or South Lake Union?

siddx

I was stubborn and stuck it out, took first place, never lost a game. Got a playmate for my trouble. Vampires are the truth, everyone was trying to force dinosaurs but kept eating my black removal and getting picked apart by all the mid sized vamps. Also won twice off the guy who thirds players lives.

Copenap

Wtf, seriously, how fucking selfish can you be?

Violet_0

Banned
^ I played in a KLD draft while being rather sick. I shouldn't have done that, but no regrets
He ended up apologizing at the end of the pre-release, and I accepted with a fake smile saying that it happens.
at least he realized that he was behaving wrong, the real dickheads never apologize

I dunno, winning has never been super important to me. I really just want the prize packs!

siddx

The third round I had to play the third game because my opponent and were tied. We only had like 4 minutes before the 5 turns were called, and we ended up playing those. He made a mistake calculating what would go into the stack and resolve first, which cost him the game. Overall it was a nice match, but when I went in for the handshake he swatted my hand away and started yelling at me how the match was shit and it was all my fault he lost. Apparently I took too much time to think and shuffle (it took hin the same exact time as me to do the same things BTW)...

I always took joy in those experiences, I remember playing some kid who thought he was hot shit and treated everyone else like they were beneath him, and when I knocked him and his foiled team America deck out of the legacy tournament with my thrown together affinity deck (ravager less too) he had a full on rage soaked meltdown in the middle of the shop. I wanted to just bath in his salty years.

XShagrath

I'm going to my first pre-release in a couple hours. I haven't played physical Magic much in almost 20 years, so I'm probably going to suck major amounts of ass.

More than the fear of getting beat down by more knowledgeable players is the thought that it's going to being in a room with a bunch of stinky people. I've been to my local store to pick up board gaming stuff while FNM was going on, and it reeked in there. I don't know if I'll be able to last 3-4 hours if it's like that. I am going to a different store for this event, so hopefully it won't be as bad.

siddx

I'm going to my first pre-release in a couple hours. I haven't played physical Magic much in almost 20 years, so I'm probably going to suck major amounts of ass.

More than the fear of getting beat down by more knowledgeable players is the thought that it's going to being in a room with a bunch of stinky people. I've been to my local store to pick up board gaming stuff while FNM was going on, and it reeked in there. I don't know if I'll be able to last 3-4 hours if it's like that. I am going to a different store for this event, so hopefully it won't be as bad.

I used to play at a basement comic shop that would shove 50+ people into a tiny unventilated room and yeah, the stench was often unbearable. I started arriving early so I could stake my claim on a seat by the door since it usually stunk less there and I could always prop it open if need be. Maybe try that?
Also bring some strong peppermint or spearmint gum or mints and chew a mouthful constantly, the scent and mintiness should help as well.

y2dvd

The thing is judges are there for a reason. If he really thought you were slow playing, he should have called one over.

Wichu

The part of prereleases I find most consistently enjoyable is throwing down casual games with random people. Even if I completely bomb out of the sealed, I can still have fun accidentally hard-countering Thopter-Sword with my anti-1/1 deck, getting aggroed out by Knight tribal, or Willbendering a 10-damage Boros Reckoner trigger for lethal (stop hitting yourself!)

Most of the people in my normal playgroups play Commander or actual competitive formats, so my casual 60-card decks don't see as much use as I'd like.

Tunoku

Went 3-1-1 at the prerelease. Got a shitty as fuck pool and was forced to play green/white splashing for Hostage Taker and the Simic Uncommon. Both of those cards were disgusting alongside Wrath to Exile. It was a blowout whenever I had it in all of my matches. Managed to open a foil Search of Azcanta(in my prize packs) which is apparently selling for 20€ right now.

1-1 so far. My pool had 2 Sunpetal Groves so I took it as a sign that those were the colors I needed to be in and built g/w dinos. That was a mistake. I won game 1 of the first round after hitting all of my opponent's creatures with Settle the Wreckage, thinking that this format was as slow as many people were suggesting. Games 2 and 3 I get eaten alive by my opponent's cheap vamps and pirates.

So I switched to Grixis pirates and after two games, I think the deck plays alot better. Will see how it goes for the rest of the afternoon.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member

I've been in the store we are attending with it almost being full and it hasn't been noticeable (unless I was the stinky one). There are, however, one or two people with TERRIBLE breath, but I'll point them out to you if they are there. And I think I know what the other store is, too, and I would never play in that one due to some absolute hygiene-miscreants I ran into the first time I was there.

red13th

I used to joke that there were rotting corpses hidden inside the game store close to my house. The stench, oh god. It's being renovated now so they I guess they're digging for the bodies.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I used to joke that there were rotting corpses hidden inside the game store close to my house. The stench, oh god. It's being renovated now so they I guess they're digging for the bodies.

XShagrath is already on the fence about going, even though he reserved... this isn't helping. lol

And my wife refuses to set foot in a Gamestop, as all those fuckers stink.

Repgnar

Just got back from pre-release #2. Enough people showed up to make it 5 rounds again so I ended up just playing 3 rounds and dropping at 2-1. After playing a G/B Vraska deck for 2 rounds I threw together a G/W Dino deck with Gishath at the top of the curve. Had 4 ways to get 2+ mana out of 1 land and about 6 5+ drops. Went up against a pirate deck that won early than just fizzled out as I got Gishath out twice and swung for the full 7 both games. Big dino decks have looked pretty strong to me. If you don't have the removal at the right time then your board just gets outclassed very quickly. Yet to see a vampire deck though.

Here's a current Grixis control list that recently 5-0'd that CFB posted up.
I'd like to convert it to a post-rotation list.

Grixis Control

ANGRYPHELDAGRIF, 5-0 in an MTGO Competitive League

Lands
6 x Island
4 x Mountain
4 x Aether Hub
1 x Canyon Slough
1 x Fetid Pools
4 x Spirebluff Canal
1 x Sunken Hollow
4 x Wandering Fumarole

Creatures
1 x The Scarab God
4 x Torrential Gearhulk

Spells
1 x Hour of Devastation
1 x Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
2 x Sweltering Suns
2 x Abrade
4 x Disallow
2 x Essence Scatter
4 x Glimmer of Genius
4 x Harnessed Lightning
3 x Hieroglyphic Illumination
3 x Magma Spray
2 x Supreme Will
2 x Censor

Sideboard
1 x Hour of Devastation
1 x Magma Spray
2 x Dragonmaster Outcast
1 x Kefnet's Last Word
2 x Multiform Wonder
2 x Negate
1 x Summary Dismissal
3 x Thing in the Ice // Awoken Horror
2 x Dispel

Here's a current Grixis control list that recently 5-0'd that CFB posted up.
I'd like to convert it to a post-rotation list.

that's tough because we're losing both fumaroles as wincons in the maindeck and the low drops from the sideboard in outcast and titi.

I think opt straight replaces hieroglyphic illuminations as a 4 of but I don't have a solution to fumaroles just yet.

This is about where I settled
UR Scarab God
Lands
4 Aether Hub
2 Fetid Pools
3 Highland Lake
1 Irrigated Farmland
7 Island
4 Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal

Instants
2 Abrade
4 Censor
4 Disallow
3 Essence Scatter
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Magma Spray
1 Negate
1 Supreme Will

Sorceries
2 Sweltering Suns

Creatures
2 The Scarab God
4 Torrential Gearhulk

Sideboard
3 Approach of the Second Sun
2 Chandra's Defeat
2 Doomfall
1 Fiery Cannonade
1 Glorybringer
1 Hour of Devastation
2 Jace's Defeat
3 Negate

Hackworth

It's a pretty spectacular strat, and one of my more annoying losses was to a dude with all the killspells, Revel in Riches, and a few good Grixis pirates. The X/X that creates treasure just goes off.

Justin

Explore is much more powerful then it looked. Those Siren Lookout were clutch for me in multiple games. Also the white DFC put in some work for me.

Top Bottom