• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

- An email is going out next week to let you know that you are in the beta priority queue
- Dev talked about game where they had over 200 creatures in play at once
- Cant turn off animations
- The first wave of the beta will be only Ixalan, as the beta phases progress they will add the sets back to Kaladesh.
- Said they have plans for when sets rotate out of standard but didnt get into specifics. Sounded like a possible new format starting with Kaladesh?

ultron87

No way they launch like this.

They want the game to be big and flashy on the screen, so it makes sense to force these on. If all your streamers turn them off because it's faster, it'd completely sabotage one of their main goals for the game.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
They want the game to be big and flashy on the screen, so it makes sense to force these on. If all your streamers turn them off because it's faster, it'd completely sabotage one of their main goals for the game.

This is a good point.

I mean obviously I understand why but this is such a terrible place to do this, lol.

Pick up those $1 marvels while they're hot

He elaborated on the no animation option, it only actually speeds things up if BOTH players have animations turned off. And there has to be SOME animation by default, MTGO even has animation.

- Designed to completly free to play. There are modes without entry fees
- There might be cosmetics that can only be bought with money
- Doubled down on "no trading", "we have MTGO for that"
- They are working on ways to make it easy to create decks (presumably without grinding or opening packs)
- Kind of confirmed 8 player "pro tour" style drafts. Called it a "core" feature.

So they're keeping MTGO for the time being. How long that will be, that's the million dollar question.

With that said, Arena sounds hot and I'm planning on going all in. It's exciting.

Experien

I am sorry if this is kind of out of left field but my gf just found her old, 4th edition Magic: The Gathering Deckmaster box. It is in great shape, all the cards, all the pieces, and so on. Any idea what the price of that would be worth and/or where we could sell it to a good place?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I am sorry if this is kind of out of left field but my gf just found her old, 4th edition Magic: The Gathering Deckmaster box. It is in great shape, all the cards, all the pieces, and so on. Any idea what the price of that would be worth and/or where we could sell it to a good place?

Unfortunately, 4th Edition isn't worth basically anything.

Tunoku

I better be on that early invite list, because I've been grinding away in Hearthstone lately and even spent some money on it today. <.<

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Same thing with Narset, really. They always have a native character/planeswalker who never meaningfully does anything but gets a bunch of chapters. I get why they do it, it's just not as funny as Vraska trying to get Senpai Jace to notice her.
I'll take a whole bunch of irrelevant bullshit over that crap

I received my Hascon exclusive boxsets today. I didn't realize that it also comes with the Golden Dragon token, but I suppose that I should have.

I wasn't too greedy and only bought a couple. They are really nice!

So what's the deal with this Magic Arena? Is it a game where you have an unlimited collection and you can build any deck you want at any time? If not, then why are they saying it's free to play? Are the rules going to be the same as paper Magic? What's going to be different?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So what's the deal with this Magic Arena? Is it a game where you have an unlimited collection and you can build any deck you want at any time? If not, then why are they saying it's free to play? Are the rules going to be the same as paper Magic? What's going to be different?

It's essentially a Hearthstone competitor. That means you will likely earn virtual currency to buy packs just by playing the game, but you could buy additional packs for money.

Rules will be the same as paper Magic. Focused on Standard but seems like there will be some Limited formats.

I am super keen on trying that Arena beta. I haven't booted up Duel in a long while, but I want a good excuse to fire up a digital Magic game.

PS Super random but is anyone aware of a repeatable ability that gives an opponet's creature a big power boost for a reasonable price? Could be any creature, but I want it to be able to target an opponent's, specifically lol. Like, a +5/+0 until end of turn on an artifact? Trying to narrow my searches...

I am super keen on trying that Arena beta. I haven't booted up Duel in a long while, but I want a good excuse to fire up a digital Magic game.

PS Super random but is anyone aware of a repeatable ability that gives an opponet's creature a big power boost for a reasonable price? Could be any creature, but I want it to be able to target an opponet's, specifically lol. Like, a +5/+0 until end of turn on an artifact? Trying to narrow my searches...

Rhonas gives +2/+0.

Rhonas gives +2/+0.

Fair, card I am trying to fuck with is Noetic Scales.

304.jpg

Dumb card, but I think some Assault Formation BS might be fun. Am trying to see how I might deal with an opponent's Fog Bank or whatever. I was hoping for maybe a big "downside" that buff's an opponent's creature :)

I'm thinking on buying a booster box to draft for fun with some of my friends that usually don't play mtg. Since i'm going to be keeping all the cards, which box would be better value and still relevant for standard? (I'm thinking kaladesh ? )

note: i'm returning to mtg and have basically 0 cards for standard or modern besides what i got on the prerelease.

Santiako

I'm thinking on buying a booster box to draft for fun with some of my friends that usually don't play mtg. Since i'm going to be keeping all the cards, which box would be better value and still relevant for standard? (I'm thinking kaladesh ? )

note: i'm returning to mtg and have basically 0 cards for standard or modern besides what i got on the prerelease.

Yeah, Kaladesh for sure. The draft format is fantastic too.

Tunoku

You could just get the new set Ixalan as well. It’s gonna be legal in standard for 2 years and the expected value out of a box is not too bad since rares are more saught after in this set.

Lucario

just put together a grixis tempo pirate list for the hell of it

.... What the shit?

Captain Lannery is absurd, Dreamcaller Siren wins games out of nowhere, and Lookout's Dispersal is always active. You can maindeck negates and still put pressure on.

Siren Stormcaller protects your advantage engines in Ruin Raider & Fathom Fleet Captain, plus turns off your opponent's removal against your Kitesail Freeboaters.

Also, Hostage Taker answers Hazoret and lets you just cast it right back at them.

I feel like this deck isn't quite there yet, my build is super rough and the mana's not great, but if another solid 1-drop pirate gets printed this is going to be hilariously fun. Reminds me a lot of Faeries.

red13th

Anyone heard of the "Encyclopedia" format? I think it's Alpha through Alliances but I can't find anything about it like that 93-94 European blog.

DrArchon

just put together a grixis tempo pirate list for the hell of it

.... What the shit?

Captain Lannery is absurd, Dreamcaller Siren wins games out of nowhere, and Lookout's Dispersal is always active. You can maindeck negates and still put pressure on.

Siren Stormcaller protects your advantage engines in Ruin Raider & Fathom Fleet Captain, plus turns off your opponent's removal against your Kitesail Freeboaters.

Also, Hostage Taker answers Hazoret and lets you just cast it right back at them.

I feel like this deck isn't quite there yet, my build is super rough and the mana's not great, but if another solid 1-drop pirate gets printed this is going to be hilariously fun. Reminds me a lot of Faeries.

I'm looking a Tempo Pirates as well.

How necessary is Red would you say? Because the mana base seems a lot less shaky with just U/B Pirates and I don't see R providing too much benefit. I guess there's Lannery and some burn spells, but U/B aren't lacking for creatures and removal. Best thing Red adds is Fiery Cannonade, but that only works against certain decks.

Justin

5-0 deck maindecking Samut!
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...structed-league-2017-09-28?platform=hootsuite

Planeswalker (2)
2 Samut, the Tested

Creature (22)
2 Carnage Tyrant
4 Deathgorge Scavenger
4 Drover of the Mighty
4 Otepec Huntmaster
4 Regisaur Alpha
4 Ripjaw Raptor

Sorcery (8)
4 Commune with Dinosaurs
4 Savage Stomp

Instant (4)
4 Abrade

Land (24)
10 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Sheltered Thicket
60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
2 Carnage Tyrant 2 Blossoming Defense 2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance 3 Magma Spray 2 Rampaging Ferocidon 2 Scavenger Grounds 2 Vance's Blasting Cannons

Justin

And a post Ixalan 5-0 Approach Deck

Planeswalker (2)
2 Gideon of the Trials

Sorcery (7)
3 Approach of the Second Sun
4 Fumigate

nstant (14)
3 Farm // Market
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Opt
3 Supreme Will

Enchantment (11)
4 Aether Meltdown
3 Cast Out
4 Search for Azcanta

Land (26)
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Irrigated Farmland
9 Island
9 Plains
60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
4 Authority of the Consuls 3 Failure // Comply 2 Hour of Revelation 2 Negate 2 Settle the Wreckage 2 Spell Pierce

Also SO was posting about a pirate deck that was consistantly pulling 5-0s in the modern leagues but the owner of the deck has been dropping the 5th game so the list does not get published. The owner of the deck said he is keeping it secret till eternal weekend.

DrArchon

That's a little bit more iffy. At least Drove is a smaller Werebear.

Yeah, but Huntmaster gives guys haste as well as ramping. Means a lot if you can't get a Regisaur Alpha to stick (or if you just played one and want the 4/4 body to have haste as well).

Am I the only one that doesn't like Deathgorge Scavenger? I just keep comparing it to Scavenging Ooze in my head and it keeps looking really bad as a result. If I was making a Dino deck I'd rather have Rampaging Ferocidon as a 3-drop.

Justin

Am I the only one that doesn't like Deathgorge Scavenger? I just keep comparing it to Scavenging Ooze in my head and it keeps looking really bad as a result. If I was making a Dino deck I'd rather have Rampaging Ferocidon as a 3-drop.

Maybe they are using it to take Scarab God targets without having to dedicate a card slot to graveyard removal?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Also SO was posting about a pirate deck that was consistantly pulling 5-0s in the modern leagues but the owner of the deck has been dropping the 5th game so the list does not get published. The owner of the deck said he is keeping it secret till eternal weekend.

It's a legacy deck but everyone is making fun of that guy because that's stupid

Justin

It's a legacy deck but everyone is making fun of that guy because that's stupid

They are making fun of him because its stupid to keep it secret? I can see wanting to keep it secret if the person is planing on making a legitimate run at an upcoming tournament but on the other hand they are playing it in public...

y2dvd

I've been totally interested in playing the Approach deck. 4 Search seems like a bit much and Farm // Market seems a bit slow. I think I rather have Censors in the mix. Cast Out to deal with Gods and Fumigate/Settle the Wreckage to deal with Carnage Tyrant puts it over the top for me when it comes to U/x.

Lucario

I'm looking a Tempo Pirates as well.

How necessary is Red would you say? Because the mana base seems a lot less shaky with just U/B Pirates and I don't see R providing too much benefit. I guess there's Lannery and some burn spells, but U/B aren't lacking for creatures and removal. Best thing Red adds is Fiery Cannonade, but that only works against certain decks.

Kari Zev and Lannery have been great for me, and Repeating Barrage closes out a lot of games, but it's not necessary. 2 color version still does all the busted stuff, just a little slower and with less reach.

Also I really can't get over how good Hostage Taker is. Really want to go up to 4 copies, but can't justify that many 4-drops.

It's great how the only actual pirate lord isn't even the third best four drop for this deck.

Edit: Losing access to Unlicensed Disintegration and Lighting Strike definitely sucks though. I bring in enough negate and essence scatters in most games to not be happy playing Walk the Plank.

Kari Zev and Lannery have been great for me, and Repeating Barrage closes out a lot of games, but it's not necessary. 2 color version still does all the busted stuff, just a little slower and with less reach.

repeating barrage looks weak in constructed. 3 mana sorcery speed lightning strike that you can rebuy is not that great. You're paying 8 mana for 3 damage at that point.

Also there's some incidental gy hate that shuts that down.

Random idea. Would this be any good?

Fervent Digging - 1R
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a land.
Create three colorless Treasure artifact tokens with "Tap, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Top Bottom