• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Vendillion Clique was a terrible design.

...what?

Also:

AcHH24z.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not sure what's wrong with draw phase interaction.

Angry Grimace

The same thing that was wrong with the Gotcha mechanic in U2. Throws the rhythm of the game off.

I for one welcome our Vendilion Clique overlords (and hope they're reprinted soon).

(Gotcha is bad because its not fun and encourages you to sit there quietly)

Crocodile

Exalted Angel was miserable. I very much like this approach.

I actually think Blistering Firecat is a likely reprint.

If by "miserable" you mean "interesting because it actually saw play outside of Onslaught draft" then I guess I agree?

Again I think the change is fine for commons and uncommons but higher rarties should be allowed more flexibility/"umph"

Vendillion Clique was a terrible design.

Kirblar hates fun and kittens and puppies and candy and world peace CONFIRMED

kirblar

I don't have an issue with the effect, I have an issue with the effect going off in the draw phase. Repeatedly interrupting opponents is just the sort of things that grates on people.

sgjackson

I wish there was some way to pimp out really awesome game stores - my LGS just saved me 20 bucks on singles for the commander deck I'm building versus CoolStuff (who I was going to order from since they're local to me and I can just do in-store pickup). This is on top of cheap drafts that give an option for store credit as a reward (which they let you use to enter more drafts!), friendly and helpful employees, and a really great clientele that's a cut above what I'd usually expect.

Angry Grimace

Yup, set 3 is Dragons/Tribal.

The reason why this happens is sort of obvious too based on the Tarkir story guide they put up today:

"Dragons once thrived on the plane of Tarkir. They spawned from mighty elemental storms, filled the sky with their destructive breath, and terrorized the five ancient warrior clans. But the dragons met their fate long ago. For many years, the clans fought a war against the dragons for their own survival, hoping for some way to gain an advantage in the struggle. At a crucial turning point more than a thousand years ago, the dragon tempests stopped coming, and no new dragons were spawned. Their numbers thinned, and the tide of the war changed."

kirblar

One reason they may have gone more out there (phonetically) with Clan names - the clans may not exist at the end of this block, giving them the ability to "redo" them in the future if they don't stick.

edit: Preorder prices are so silly cause of fetches. Ascendancies are all under a buck (for a playset), Rattleclaw for 2.75, Zurgo for 1.75, the wrath for 2.)

OnPoint

lol they didn't even try to hide the story here.

Ugin should be in set 2 then?

One reason they may have gone more out there (phonetically) with Clan names - the clans may not exist at the end of this block, giving them the ability to "redo" them in the future if they don't stick.

edit: Preorder prices are so silly cause of fetches. Ascendancies are all under a buck (for a playset), Rattleclaw for 2.75, Zurgo for 1.75, the wrath for 2.)

Now's a good time to buy in then I suppose...

Angry Grimace

Buying in on Force of Will on MTGO when it was 26 dollars was totally worth it.

bigkrev

I'm waiting for the cards to hit Amazon, and for you to make a nice list of stuff to buy like you did for M15 :p

kirblar

I'm waiting for the cards to hit Amazon, and for you to make a nice list of stuff to buy like you did for M15 :p
Well, I jumped on these cause they were from a local dealer (Western MD) on Ebay, so "not having them take 2 weeks to arrive" was a factor in not nickle-diming on em.

MTG Khans of Tarkir Crackling Doom Rare x4 Mint Preorder 9/26 2.49
MTG Khans of Tarkir Temur Ascendancy Rare x4 Mint Preorder 9/26 1.99
MTG Khans of Tarkir Zurgo Helmsmasher Mythic x4 Mint Preorder 9/26 6.99
MTG Khans of Tarkir Abzan Ascendancy Rare x4 Mint Preorder 9/26 2.99
MTG Khans of Tarkir Rattleclaw Mystic Rare x4 Mint Preorder 9/26 10.99
MTG Khans of Tarkir Mardu Ascendancy Rare x4 Mint Preorder 9/26 3.49
MTG Khans of Tarkir End Hostilities Rare x4 Mint Preorder 9/26 7.99

Also, i don't think it's not an accident that the fetches didn't appear until the foil dot tech was in place.

Rubamagie_di_Kheru.png

Kheru Spellthief
Creature - Naga Wizard
Morph 4UU
When Kheru Spellthief is turned face up, counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyad. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost as long as it remains exiled.

Pretty neat.

Ah yes, the endless loop of playing Standard.

Don't get me wrong - I completely understand it. But every spoiler season these days, I"m increasingly happy to have gotten out of that pool.

Angry Grimace

Ah yes, the endless loop of playing Standard.

Don't get me wrong - I completely understand it. But every spoiler season these days, I"m increasingly happy to have gotten out of that pool.

"All the cards in standard are the same! I'll just play eternal so I won't have that problem!"

*plays against the same 5 decks for the next 10 years*

"All the cards in standard are the same! I'll just play eternal so I won't have that problem!"

*plays against the same 5 decks for the next 10 years*

I just don't play constructed at all! Problem solved.

And still end up spending wads of money to draft like a fiend with an insatiable appetite.

Angry Grimace

I'm thinking I'll just start out with an Abzan aggro deck. Running Sunblade Elf, Soldier of the Pantheon, Fleecemane, Spiteful Returned (?), Brimaz, Anafenza, and maybe Sorin would be a pretty easy way to kill people.

An-Det

Played Junk tonight in Modern since I had it built for a friend already and UWR was apart. It was like playing Easy mode all night. Aside from a tense game 2 last round vs Melira Pod (where I equipped a spirit token with a Batterskull to power through Sigarda with a giant Scooze to block on ground), I felt like I had answers to everything at all times. Really tempted to keep playing it, at least for another week.

Played Junk tonight in Modern since I had it built for a friend already and UWR was apart. It was like playing Easy mode all night. Aside from a tense game 2 last round vs Melira Pod (where I equipped a spirit token with a Batterskull to power through Sigarda with a giant Scooze to block on ground), I felt like I had answers to everything at all times. Really tempted to keep playing it, at least for another week.

Have a list you'd care to share? Midrange decks like that are among my favorite

ironmang

Legacy right now is very stale. Would love if WOTC just tossed a nod in the shape of a major banning just to shake things up.

ElyrionX

Legacy right now is very stale. Would love if WOTC just tossed a nod in the shape of a major banning just to shake things up.

Wizards doesn't give a shit about Legacy (or so I heard) so why change it in any way that could piss off its players who are potentially players of the other formats that they actually want to grow.

Angry Grimace

Wizards doesn't give a shit about Legacy (or so I heard) so why change it in any way that could piss off its players who are potentially players of the other formats that they actually want to grow.

A major Legacy change would require banning Brainstorm or Force of Will, neither of which they will do because fuck it, why?

ElyrionX

Speaking of Force of Will, will we ever get a reprint? I really want one for my EDH deck so a cheaper version with new art sounds great.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
And hey, it sounds like you can technically still activate this one at instant speed offensively, you can't just keep it back as a defensive trick

Still, it's fine to have that option if the opponent flashes in a blocker or a face-down card turns out to be a huge guy (without hexproof). Pretty neat.

BTW, is it wrong for me to be far more interested in what the commons of the set will be like than the rares?

y2dvd

Not bad. An aggressive drop that can have late game utility when morphed. Can't tell what the hell creature type that is though lol.

bigkrev

Still, it's fine to have that option if the opponent flashes in a blocker or a face-down card turns out to be a huge guy (without hexproof). Pretty neat.

BTW, is it wrong for me to be far more interested in what the commons of the set will be like than the rares?

If you play mostly limited, you should be more interested in the commons than the rares.

It would be a limited bomb if it was on any turn. But this could easily (should easily) be an uncommon.

We just had Akroan Conscriptor at uncommon, and that was fine (but it was an uncommon in a single set in a draft, which does make a different).

bigkrev

It's probably rare since it's a bomb in limited but that's still gotta be one of the most disappointing rares to ever open

This card could be standard playable. The body is acceptable (2/1 for 2), the morph cost is cheap enough, and Threaten is a playable (sideboard) effect. Especially if we get a second playable red morph card (Blistering Firecat?), I could see this card getting some play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom