• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super best friends LSV and Paul Cheon having remarkably consistent finishes lately.

LSV went from bombing for a couple years to three top 8s in a row and Paul Cheon went from a guy that can't win a match on day two to two top 20 placings in three PTs.

The CFB teams really churn out results.

Firemind

Someone won a game while being Emrakul'd thrice I believe.

I still can't believe they printed a better Anticipate in Green.

Reading Twitter, dos LSV seriously win a match where he was Emrakul'd TWICE?

Yes. In fact, if you go back and watch that match, Emrakul's casting of COCO leads directly to LSV's win by putting the one card that got him out of it (Tamiyo) on top of his library after 6 cards, if I remember correctly.

Edit: I should correct myself. It puts Tamiyo in exactly the right position in his deck for him to draw it and win the game off of it. I can't remember the exact sequence but it was absolutely ridiculous.

LSV responded to the trigger both times by sacrificing selfless spirit, so there was no need to flash it back.
Selfless Spirit is almost as important to pushing Bant CoCo as Spell Queller. Not all decks run black and Languish.

What's the decklists now of the top 8?

Someone won a game while being Emrakul'd thrice I believe.

I still can't believe they printed a better Anticipate in Green.
Technically it's a better Corpse Churn or whatever variants there are of that effect on spells.

Firemind

Selfless Spirit is almost as important to pushing Bant CoCo as Spell Queller. Not all decks run black and Languish.

What's the decklists now of the top 8?

Technically it's a better Corpse Churn or whatever variants there are of that effect on spells.
Fetching a land is huge, dude. Anticipate was played in control decks just to smooth out mana and get land drops every turn. And late game it fetches your biggest threat. And it fuels Delirium. It's better than Anticipate in almost every way.

Get ready for another year of green midrange, boys.

Where were humans? They already had a decent CoCo matchup and should have destroyed most of the greedy Emrakul lists. Seriously some of those decks do nothing but grind through their deck for the first 4 turns. Turn 5 is probably the earliest time you'd ever see an Emrakul turn 6/7 usually more likely. There's only 4 Kozilek's Returns and the spell side the weenies quickly outgrow. And if you have Thalia out Emrakul does next to nothing.
BG Delirium definitely profited from Bant CoCo both being less prominent than expected and being hated out at large.

Fetching a land is huge, dude. Anticipate was played in control decks just to smooth out mana and get land drops every turn. And late game it fetches your biggest threat. And it fuels Delirium. It's better than Anticipate in almost every way.

Get ready for another year of green midrange, boys.
Agreed but it's a rather different effect. Also Sylvan Advocate and Tireless tracker alone guarantee green midrange success.

Yeef

Stony Silence would actually be good tech against Tireless Tracker. It'd be interesting if they reprinted it in Kaladesh block, but I can't imagine they will.

Matriox

I was looking for a card that dealt with graveyards, I thought we had two, turns out Burn Away and Cranial Archive both rotated lol.

Is magiccards.info abandoned? Still no EMN and they still haven't updated their Standard filter to include the rotation that happened with SOI.

I was looking for a card that dealt with graveyards, I thought we had two, turns out Burn Away and Cranial Archive both rotated lol.

Hedonist's Trove. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Learn From the Past is your best bet.

Which green card are you referring to?
Pretty sure he means grapple with the past. Mill 3 get a creature or land from the yard.

I wonder how much Den Protector rotating out will hurt green. They have pulse of murasa as a regrowth but that can't be tutored and doesn't develop the board with evasion. Greenwarden Murasa costs 6 but gives you twice the recursion.
They are also losing origins Nissa. Other decks mostly lose a reason to splash blue.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is my favorite moment of the thread during the PT so far.

I'm sober now and still don't know what any of that means.

This is intentional, they said they didn't make cards that dealt with GY because of Delirium which is partially why Rally was so good last season.

4 copies of Tamiyo or 3 copies of Tamiyo and nice hair.

Which implied that the reason why Reid Duke and Owen Turtenwald have bad hair is because they chose to spend money on cards over their haircuts.

"God's Beard!" was implying that the reason why Gaby Spartz has good hair is because he's rich.

Anyway, looking at the top 8 decks.
* Lots of Gnarlwood Dryad.
* Reid Duke's deck has Ulvenwald Hydra mainboard, and Roast, Greenwarden of Murasa, and Shaman of Forgotten Ways in the sideboard.
* Yuta Takahashi's Bant CoCo deck has Caustic Caterpillar in the sideboard.
* Andrew Brown's deck is one I hadn't seen. I'm especially surprised by Lashwood Lurker and Primal Druid.
* Owen Turtenwald's deck has Pilgrim's Eye and Corrupted Grafstone mainboard, and Invasive Surgery in the sideboard.
* Ken Yukuhiro's deck has four Collective Defiance and four Tormenting Voice mainboard, and three Weaver of Lightning in the sideboard.

Daedardus

Gaby Spartz is a women. Women have on average nicer hair than men. That said, their hair isn't that bad. I think it's just a statement that they don't really care about how their hair is done. I've seen far worse haircuts in the Magic crowd but I won't judge people over that, even though I'm pretty self aware about my hair and appearance.

Made a bracket.

kjhlkjm0ra6.png

It's at this point in the FGC I'd be looking for side bets. Kinda funny how the game with more play skill also has more gambling in the community.

C'est la vie.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gaby Spartz is a women. Women have on average nicer hair than men. That said, their hair isn't that bad. I think it's just a statement that they don't really care about how their hair is done. I've seen far worse haircuts in the Magic crowd but I won't judge people over that, even though I'm pretty self aware about my hair and appearance.

I mean, Reid Duke isn't a bad looking dude, he just doesn't seem to give a shit that he's rocking the bowl haircut my mom gave me when I was 8

Exactly Reid is jacked, he clearly keeps in shape. That haircut though is hideous.
I don't see the issue with Owen's though it looked fine, miles better than when he shaved. The real crime was his backpack.

* Pedro Carvalho's Fevered Visions deck is interesting.
* Benjamin Nikolich's running Mono-White Humans. One of those decks did well after all.

I wonder how the meta will look past the PT, GW tokens was one thing but there aren't any decks there that CoCo shouldn't be able to beat if they tech against the match up.

I wonder how the meta will look past the PT, GW tokens was one thing but there aren't any decks there that CoCo shouldn't be able to beat if they tech against the match up.

Shave a Dromoka's Command for an Ojutai's Command in the main and probably try to get even more Tempo-based. Thalia is really good against the ramp creatures but pretty bad against Kozilek's Return so I dunno.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212665278]Shave a Dromoka's Command for an Ojutai's Command in the main and probably try to get even more Tempo-based. Thalia is really good against the ramp creatures but pretty bad against Kozilek's Return so I dunno.[/QUOTE]

selfless spirit should already cover the kozilek's return but I'd just play Summary Dismissal over Ojutai's Command if the decks consist through the PT. Which also covers the Kozilek's return.

Thalia is ridiculous

Yeah I was playing 4 of her in my build but obviously I didn't get to play against any of the PT decks. There's a lot more basic lands and efficient red removal than I expected.

Also, my call of 0 emerge creatures in top 8 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. My predictive qualities are getting fucked more than Leroy "Blast" Black right now.

About to start flashin' the cash and rebuild my paper collection. I need binder/accessory recommendations though as I have pretty much nothing. I enjoy organizing and keeping a neat collection so any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Ashodin

About to start flashin' the cash and rebuild my paper collection. I need binder/accessory recommendations though as I have pretty much nothing. I enjoy organizing and keeping a neat collection so any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

My wife loves to organize. I play, she organizes. It's a match made in heaven

I need to get busy and do this too. It's insane when I'm trying to hunt down that one last card for a deck that I know I have, and I end up having to thumb through everything.

What I use right now are those flat white cardboard boxes made for cards, along with a few of those Magic boxes they make for starter sets or whatever they are called.

bigkrev

Watched Reid-LSV and the Owen Round 16 match. Can't wait for Top 8 tonight!

Oh, and here is one of the 2 Magic The Puzzlings from Duelist issue 3. These work under Reviesd rules, and are way too complicated for me. Can anyone solve it?
CpNEut7WYAAXtpe.jpg
CpNEut5WgAIwrDG.jpg

Do you think that with Liliana, the Last Hope, there are enough legitimate Zombies (and maybe a Vampire) to make a viable Zombie deck in Modern?

Or maybe it is just the casual player in me trying to dream up a sweet kitchen table deck...

Ashodin

I'm struggling to figure out how to deal with CoCo into Reflector Mage, and the best I got as an answer in the sideboard is Hallowed Moonlight + Center Soul.

Center counters the targeting, Hallowed Moonlight is just for the straight up kill the CoCo.

Other than that, I can have a real hard time struggling against Bant Company.

I've upped my counts of Incendiary Flow and Ride Down to increase the likelihood of removing creatures, but Selfless Spirit is fucking insane

Flow being sorcery speed doesn't help.

I've figured out the missing bullet: An equipment that gives hexproof. If one shows up in Kaladesh, I'm running it.

Maro said that there's a sword coming up that is probably the best yet, so it's likely a new Sword of _____ and _____ is coming.

holy shit autocardanywhere :lol

Firemind

I ended up buying the last foil Japanese Keiga the Tide Star from ChannelFireball for $40 + $10 shipping fee. What am I doing with my life?

An-Det

Played a few hours of EDH at my friend's newly-opened shop today. Was really nice being back in that location (same location as the last two card stores that closed). One game I Oona'ed about a dozen lands from one mono-black player, then the other player played Oblivion Sower to get a million lands in play, then they played Avenger of Zendikar and go a bunch of plants.

Topdeck Yawgmoth's Will to rebuy Massacre Wurm for like 50 life loss. First time playing this EDH deck with people, really liking it (mono-black Oona).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom