• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always amuses me when WOTC and some other Cube designers like to scream "signets ruin Green!" and yet Green is still an excellent color in every version of the Vintage Cube they run LOL
Are they saying that because other colors have access to ramp? I mean this deck played turn 3 or 4 craterhoof if i remember. Emrakul also shines for obvious reasons. But yeah green has access to ramp and search, so its the real deal.

Hero

It always amuses me when WOTC and some other Cube designers like to scream "signets ruin Green!" and yet Green is still an excellent color in every version of the Vintage Cube they run LOL

As someone that has had a powered cube for years, it's more than just signets taking away from green's identity. With 10 signets they're a big addition to the artifact section and because they color fix + ramp they're almost never a bad pick and push midrange and control decks higher. Also, green creature cards have gotten insane in the past few years, it's probably the color that has benefited most for cube cards since m10.

red13th

Green has Natural Order and elves so it's always going to do fun things. Also Plow Under, I love cards that make your opponent hate you.

OnPoint

Doing a video about underused and never-to-be-seen again Planeswalkers, any suggestions?

Dack Fayden
Vraska
Ashiok

Bad choices. They likely have plans for all of those. Tibalt will come back as the RB walker, I think.

As mentioned before me, Domri is a good choice. Arlin, Narset and Dovin are too new for this, but I bet they'll end up being good choices someday. Koth is MIA. And I know you love him -- I do too -- but where the hell has Karn been? I figure they're saving him for a big moment, but I hate how he's nowhere to be found at the moment. Hey what about Venser and Xenag-- oh. Oh yeah. Sorry.

So really, I'd say Domri, Koth and Karn are your best options of the current roster.

That's a nice haul. Unglued lands are still the best looking lands.

When we talked about lands the other day in here I was like "man, I used to have so many of these Unglued lands. I wish I could track them down."

There's no plains in this stack I found at all. I'm pretty sure that Karakas I was looking for is hanging out in the same deck as they are....

red13th

Crazy that I have 10 equipment cards in my cube and only one isn't from a Mirrodin block, Umezawa's Jitte. All the rest is either from Mirrodin block or SoM block (Bonesplitter, Skullclamp, Grafted Wargear, Batterskull and swords).

OnPoint

Can we talk about what I consider the worst planeswalker of all time?

c79254066b6e049a4106d8662516e758.jpg

None of the non alters had readable text so I grabbed this, sorry!

Every honce in a while I remember this card exists and I think "Maybe now is the time I can find a way to use it". But if I'm being honest, all I ever remember is that it's bad. I never remember what it actually does. But that's because it does nothing.

Let's go over the abilities.

• +1: Oh hey, look, a card that rewards you for your opponent playing a lot of creatures. Gideon gets bigger if your opponent has a big board. And then promptly gets ignored as those creatures can go wherever the opponent likes (unlike the first Gideon which forced them to attack him), probably smashing your face in while he stands there doing absolute zero.
  • 0: A 4/4 for 4 isn't terrible, I guess. So we drop Gideon, make him a 4/4, and he... oh. Doesn't have haste. Shit. Well, let's boost him with the +1, hope we survive, then attack with a 7/7 or 8/8 on the next turn. Oh wait, he doesn't have Trample? Or even Vigilance so he could stay back as a blocke... oh wait, he stops being a creature at the end of the turn. Damn, useless.
  • -15: I mean this is cool if you can get him to at least 16 counters before blowing him off and not dying yourself, but then you're still on a small-points-per-turn clock even if he's the only thing left.

I'm just unsure on what was even happening with this card. It's identity is all sorts of broken. For all the text on it, it basically does nothing. I really do believe that this is the worst planeswalker of all time. Worse than Tibalt. Worse than Nissa 1.0. It's a literal 4-mana do nothing.

red13th

Yeah that Gideon sucks.

I was kinda hoping they would do a Duel Deck Anthology 2, with the next four decks (Phyrexia vs Coalition, Elspeth vs Tezz, Knights vs Dragons and Ajani vs Bolas) so I could get an Oblivion Ring with FNM art in the Frontier frame (I'm weird) from Knights vs Dragons.
...then I noticed Phyrexia vs Coalition is the one that caused the commotion that fucked up the Reserve List for good because of Phyrexian Negator. I think they'll skip it in a new Anthology, if they ever make one.

Yeef

That Gideon was actually solid in limited. A 4-mana, indestructible 5/5 (or bigger) is quite good. Outside of that, though, he's pretty terrible.

OnPoint

Limited is its own thing. Weird stuff is good in limited, and I'd be shocked if they designed it around that. And planeswalkers in general being limited bombs is no surprise. Maybe this one's surprising, but still...

They usually design planeswalkers around standard. I just don't understand what they were thinking with it. How did it make it all the way through development and come out... like that? Did it get nerfed somewhere along the line? I should ask Maro if he knows.

Ashodin

Crazy that I have 10 equipment cards in my cube and only one isn't from a Mirrodin block, Umezawa's Jitte. All the rest is either from Mirrodin block or SoM block (Bonesplitter, Skullclamp, Grafted Wargear, Batterskull and swords).

Basically the only time we can assume good equipment will get pushed, right? Seems to be Mirrodin's thing.

Firemind

That Gideon was actually solid in limited. A 4-mana, indestructible 5/5 (or bigger) is quite good. Outside of that, though, he's pretty terrible.
I drafted that Gideon literally a month ago and it was terrible. Remember, 3xGatecrash is full of semi-evasive and bloodthirsted weenies. It's the format where Madcap Skills is the nuts. And Gideon can't even attack the turn it comes into play.

Yeef

I drafted that Gideon literally a month ago and it was terrible. Remember, 3xGatecrash is full of semi-evasive and bloodthirsted weenies. It's the format where Madcap Skills is the nuts. And Gideon can't even attack the turn it comes into play.
I was actually thinking more DGR. I've drafted him several times in that format and he was always a house.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah that Gideon sucks.

I was kinda hoping they would do a Duel Deck Anthology 2, with the next four decks (Phyrexia vs Coalition, Elspeth vs Tezz, Knights vs Dragons and Ajani vs Bolas) so I could get an Oblivion Ring with FNM art in the Frontier frame (I'm weird) from Knights vs Dragons.
...then I noticed Phyrexia vs Coalition is the one that caused the commotion that fucked up the Reserve List for good because of Phyrexian Negator. I think they'll skip it in a new Anthology, if they ever make one.

I thought it was mostly Mox Diamond that made people flip out.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I was actually thinking more DGR. I've drafted him several times in that format and he was always a house.

It can be pretty good in durdly EDH games. Oh don't mind me, I'll just wipe the board later and kill everyone before you can build up again.

ajf009

So I'm having some confusion about Rally the Ancestors. How does this card work, because unless all your creatures have haste they're only able to be used for blocking before they all leave the battlefield, or am i missing something?

Ashodin

So I'm having some confusion about Rally the Ancestors. How does this card work, because unless all your creatures have haste they're only able to be used for blocking before they all leave the battlefield, or am i missing something?

the creatures aren't used for attacking, but sac outlets and enter the battlefield abilities etc

Use him in commander?
I'm playing Guildpact Jace over Dovin Baan at least that one can bounce problematic nonland permanents.
There's no Dovin Baan deck right now.

There's tons of time before rotation for him to take a spot in a deck somewhere.
Dovin Baan has been played extensively, he's just bad. He even was in the #2 PT deck.
Usually when he's played opponents let out a sigh of relief they can resolve a spell next turn.

Ashodin

We just need some gain life synergy with him. Hell maybe he can even work with Oath of Ajani. You can plop him down on Turn 3 and start ticking up away.

Dovin Baan's problem, other than being mediocre, is that Jace, Unraveler of Secrets does all the important things DB does, but better, and has an ult that is relevant. +Loyalty for card draw will more often than not trump -Loyalty for card draw. And Unsummon is just better in battlecruiser magic unless you're talking about cast or ETB triggers.

The issue with Dovan is that even in the realm of "UW Walker with an Ult that almost wins the game" is filled better by Narset in Modern. In Standard, the deck that wants him(some sort of UWx Control deck that wants his Ult) barely exists.

I swear he'd be playable if his +1 was Detain and not the crap it is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maro seems to be confused about Legacy. MTGtop8 must be blocked in Renton because no head designer should be asking these questions:

Most decks don't even run playsets of duals

Umm yeah, go ahead and put shocklands in your grixis deck and then get back to me.

He's a designer. He has no clue what gets played in Legacy. That's something for development to worry about.

Hero

Echoing the fact that Mark is a designer not a developer. Stop trying to blame him for everything or expect him to know everything about the game.

Yeef

He's played in UWx control decks but imo that's a mistake. He's really bad.
Dovin is actually really good at stabilizing against aggro decks. That said, he's not really a turn-4 play. He usually comes down when you have 6+ mana so that you can leave up tricks, but even as a Draw 3, gain 6, he's solid against aggro. He's usually pretty useless against non-aggro decks though.

Wulfric

He's a designer. He has no clue what gets played in Legacy. That's something for development to worry about.

Oh, so it's like:

Design = Cards/Mechanics
Development = Sets/Formats

I'm honestly not sure where the division of responsibility lies between the two jobs.

Oh, so it's like:

Design = Cards/Mechanics

I'm honestly not sure where the division of responsibility lies between the two jobs.

They do similar things, and the main purpose of the division is really to make sure two different sets of eyes see the set before completion.

Design is responsible for determining what to focus on, and does a lot of exploration of how to achieve their goals. Development takes what design has done, and looks to refine it into a set balanced for Limited and Constructed.

I know MaRo has written a lot about the difference, but I'm having an oddly hard time finding an article about it, so instead have this post from the developer blog.

Also, I know people here have wondered about this.
filipfatalattractionrblog asked: Is Pia Chandra's biological mother or a stepmother?

Biological.

Yeef

Oh, so it's like:

Design = Cards/Mechanics

I always liked the film analogy. Design is basically the writer and development is the director. The writer writes the script and creates all of the major details, but the director ultimately decides what makes it to the screen. She can cut lines, scenes or even characters completely out of the movie if she thinks it'll make the movie stronger.

In practical terms, this means that design comes up with the mechanical themes of a set. They focus mainly on the limited format. Development does things like adjusting power and toughness on creatures, adjusting rarity, setting mana costs and redesigning mechanics that aren't working quite right and focuses on both limited and constructed formats.

bigkrev

How furious do you think Wizards is that Blizzard revealed that Tracer was a lesbian before they could triumphantly announce that one of the Planeswalkers was gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom