• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

How are you getting all the cards though without paying ? The grind is super real and in order to get even close to enough for a booster pack its either 10 versus match wins or 20 matches against the computer. The daily quests are super easy but there arent enough of them.

I loved the way the old magic games did it

Oh yeah, I'd never say there isn't a grind. I think it's just nice that, unlike in Hearthstone, every pack you open is going to be a card that is one step closer to having the full set instead of a bunch of arcane dust. So there's a hard limit on the amount of time/money you can spend to have everything.

I have been throwing them some money when new sets come out, which feels fine because I play it almost ever day. Even without that I feel like the Daily Quests make getting a pack a day not that tough.

Fetish bait for the oppose sex - Check

You were not kidding

wonder_woman_injustice_by_davidyardin-d5x8i2o.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

mhm muscular

Damn GAF, I just bought an Origins deck builder kit without ever having played a game of Magic. I'm about to have a rough time, aren't I?

I haven't seen the article where the Inventor's Fair comes from, but does that say Story Highlight 1/3 or 1/5? (The bottom left of the card)

I haven't seen the article where the Inventor's Fair comes from, but does that say Story Highlight 1/3 or 1/5? (The bottom left of the card)

1/5. As best we can tell, this is them taking the "Pivotal Moments" storyline illo cards they've been doing for the last four sets and actually labeling them so people can more easily assemble them and see them in order.

Damn GAF, I just bought an Origins deck builder kit without ever having played a game of Magic. I'm about to have a rough time, aren't I?

Nah you'll be fine!

1/5. As best we can tell, this is them taking the "Pivotal Moments" storyline illo cards they've been doing for the last four sets and actually labeling them so people can more easily assemble them and see them in order.

Good idea, that.

Yeef

Latest Developments on the state of Standard after Eldritch moon.

I'll try to translate from German or describe:

Shivan Dragon
Big 8/8 green monster with trample
Guardian Angel
Mahamoti Djinn
Nightmare
Those should have been in the big stacks of cards, not the booster packs. You should've gotten more rares in the packs. (At least 1 in each pack)

Santiako

I'll try to translate from German or describe:

Shivan Dragon
Big 8/8 green monster with trample
Guardian Angel
Mahamoti Djinn
Nightmare

Those you always get, you also get 4 booster packs, what did you get in those? (I'm just curious, I love opening boosters)

Those should have been in the big stacks of cards, not the booster packs. You should've gotten more rares in the packs. (At least 1 in each pack)

Right, my mistake. I also got

a white instant, may or may not be called 'securing the wasteland'
a blue creature, Jeskai Infiltrator
a black legendary creature, Kothoped the soul collector
a golden spell, Power of Abzan

Hopefully these names are close.

Right, my mistake. I also got

a white instant, may or may not be called 'securing the wasteland'
a blue creature, Jeskai Infiltrator
a black legendary creature, Kothoped the soul collector
a golden spell, Power of Abzan

Hopefully these names are close.

Out of those, the first, Secure the Wastes, is considered the most powerful.

As I mention in the OP, deck building can be extremely complicated. I recommend playing the F2P game Magic Duels to understand the game, and then if you're willing to spend more money, buying a pre-made deck and modifying it with the cards you have.

Also, it's safe to say that most of your cards won't be legal in the Standard format. If you're just playing casually with friends, this is fine, but you shouldn't bring your deck to a tournament using the Standard format. You could take it to a Modern tournament, but those tend to have stronger and more expensive decks.

(Added a new note to the OP's Getting Started section about playing casually.)

Sam Stoddard admits that he was patting himself on the back too early regarding Shadows over Innistrad Standard. He thinks Eldritch Moon Standard is more diverse than people think, but that doesn't matter if everyone runs into three Collected Company decks in every seven-round tournament. The format is much more complex than they intended, especially with having to make calculations for delirium and emerge and playing around Emrakul, as demonstrated by so many matches going to time. The biggest piece of feedback from pros is that they think Standard is very hard to play right now. One attempted solution for this is they're cutting back on the number of keywords, which had gotten out of hand in the past few blocks, and they already noticed this problem by the time they started working on Kaladesh. Development tries to push some cards using every keyword, so this would result in sets being pushed in less directions.

Like everyone else, he'll be glad when Collected Company rotates out of Standard soon. Since this was written before the World Championship, he says he doesn't think everyone will play Collected Company. (No, others played Emrakul instead)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nobody plays CoCo at my store but we don't have a shit meta.

I noticed throughout the matches that a lot of people get stuck at 2-5 life and then the board gets clogged up, with no one able to do anything about it.

I'll find it hilarious if, before rotation, people start running Sarkhan's Rage or something. For maximum humor, I would've preferred Lava Axe, but that's not in the format.

I think this one is pretty fair: CoCo is a gigantic and awful mistake but when there's a card and deck that are a gigantic awful mistake these days it means "that deck is 30+% of every tournament" instead of the level of stifling we got in previous busted Standards. A big problem with CoCo as a deck very specifically seems to be its resiliency in the face of a wide range of threats -- you can metagame against it, but it's consistently crawled back into the picture via tweaks and modifications that set it up well against the latest challengers. Anyway, good to get rid of it finally.

An-Det

Oh shit, the Kaladesh mechanic panel is in just a few hours. Really curious to finally get the full details on mechanic E. Hopefully MaRo goes deep into how it developed over the years, their thoughts on it as they tried and failed to fit it into sets over that time.

Oh shit, the Kaladesh mechanic panel is in just a few hours. Really curious to finally get the full details on mechanic E. Hopefully MaRo goes deep into how it developed over the years, their thoughts on it as they tried and failed to fit it into sets over that time.

MaRo already confirmed that Monday's article will focus mainly on that.

Joe Molotov

Unleashed my inner Timmy at the Conspiracy 2 draft last night and drafted R/G Monsters with a Hymn of the Wild. I didn't win obviously, but it felt good. (Plus the guy that won had a Platinum Angel, so fuck him.)

Nobody plays CoCo at my store but we don't have a shit meta.

Alternatively, I was on CoCo early enough that several people that are 1 deck types of people built towards it months ago. Subsequently, our 20-28 person FNMs are usually at least 40% Company decks. So if you're not prepared, you'll likely go 2-2 or worse on the night. I had a hand in creating my own nightmare.

We're also knee deep in spirits decks. I go entire FNMs sometimes against mono-Reflector Mage/Spell Queller. And everyone knows no one in the store has Lilis. So there's no one checking the spirits that way.

Gaining you one life after turn 2 isn't helping against suicide zoo, infect, dredge, etc. like they might run it because it's almost free to run but it's not making much better for the deck.

Who said anything about suicide zoo or dredge? Yeah, the lifegain isn't gonna help against Nahiri Control or Storm, either. I'm not sure what your point is, there.

And it actually does help against Infect. It helps a ton. Lantern Control is basically all hate against Infect by coincidence. Spellskites, Pithing Needles, Ghost Quarters, Ensnaring Bridge, Abrupt Decay and Pyroclasm. All in the maindeck. And that's not counting 6+ pieces of hand disruption that wrecks Infect when they're on the draw. One of the ways Infect can win is often just by attacking for 1 with noble hierarch if they don't have a spellskite to block with. That plan isn't even a dream against Inventor's Fair.

Losing a match to Infect with Lantern is like losing to Burn with Bogles. Something really has to go wrong.

They're showing a preshow event right now. Though maybe it already aired yesterday. They're showing off the theater now.

EDIT: Yeah, it's from yesterday.

Oh shit, the Kaladesh mechanic panel is in just a few hours. Really curious to finally get the full details on mechanic E.

I believe they actually will be revealing all the mechanics in the Opening Ceremony, actually, and then the panel will go into more detail.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I assume we get like a random rare for each mechanic and Saheeli (or Chandra).

Angry Grimace

This guy is already way less awkward than Wil Wheaton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom